• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

GhaleonQ

Could someone eventually post how the sense of humor turned out? What I've heard of it sounds silly in a bad way. I do want to support the proliferation of graphic adventure tropes, though.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So is this really a looting game like Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest only more light-hearted and stylized?

I'm interested.

Hope it's a lengthy game.

They mentioned in a few interviews that it was around 15 hours.

I'm not sure why I never cared about this game until the last week or two. From the gameplay, RPG elements and whimsical art style, Deathspank has really caught my attention and will be on my PS3 as soon as it is available on PSN. I just got a PSN card and it could not have came at a better time :D

Crazypanda_85 said:
They mentioned in a few interviews that it was around 15 hours.
That's not bad. If that's true than it's worth it.

I'm sure there will be DLC as well which may add 5 or more hours to it.

I hope it's addicting like Torchlight and Titan Quest.

vareon

Whoa, I always thought there's a PC version of this. Can't do much else but wait and hope, then. Hopefully this game turns out good.

Schlomo

Heard of this for the first time here. Graphics look very nice, I love the fresh cartoon style. But the genre is sadly not my cup of tea. They should make an adventure game spin-off or something.

eznark

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's not bad. If that's true than it's worth it.

I'm sure there will be DLC as well which may add 5 or more hours to it.

I hope it's addicting like Torchlight and Titan Quest.
Has anyone said anything like that or are you just assuming? Has Hothead ever released DLC?

If ever PSN was going to go up early...make it today!

Goldrusher

From the US PlayStation blog...

Demo?
A US demo will be available July 13.
When you try this demo you’ll be like “Wow, I’m going to buy this game!” Because you know, that’s what demos are for.

Europe?
Our Executive Producer was saying some stuff to us before, and we kind of tuned in and out. You know how it is.
But I think he said something about coming out in Europe on July 14th.

1080p?
Yes!

DD5.1?
Yes!

DD7.1?
YES!

DTS?
OH, YES!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's good about the sound.

-

Trailer from the Blog turned me off with the lame kiddy jokes. (poop, chickens... etc) but I'm still drawn to the art style.

I'll give the demo a try at least.

WaltJay

I see two reviews so far on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/deathspank

3DJuegos 86

DeathSpank: Fast, humorous and vibrant. DeathSpank is a surprising downloadable hit and a marvelous and amusing Diablo clone. It’s easy to play for a few minutes only to see that two hours have gone by.

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/analisis/6558/0/deathspank/

Official Xbox Magazine 85

It's a bit slow to get its hooks into you, but once you clear the first area and open up the rest of the absurd world that its hero inhabits, you won't want to leave. [Sept 2010]

Liberty4all

Banned
I think I'm going to get this. I'm pissed about the lack of online play, but this looks like it will be a blast to run through with local multiplay.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FoneBone said:
I'd like to think so, but I'm baffled as to why they wouldn't have confirmed it if it's actually still in the cards.
Ron Gilbert basically confirmed it in a roundabout way but the publisher apparently fears the jolly roger too much to announce it.

Mrbob

DTS and 1080P is nice for the PS3 version, but more important question to me is the sound compressed on the 360 version? This would be more of a deal breaker for me on getting it on 360. I've noticed difference in sound quality between downloadable games on PS3 and 360 because they compressed the 360 sound to make the file smaller.

FrankT

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1105775p1.html

8.5;

Closing Comments
If you like sweet loot, hacking things to death, looking at beautiful landscapes and laughing at good writing, you might want to pick up DeathSpank. However, although the game shines in many areas, it does have its flaws. Questing can turn into a noticeable chore, and I would have gladly substituted some of the “go fetch” missions in favor of some more brainteasers. Still, DeathSpank is a fun adventure worth exploring.

9.0 Presentation
Between the unique style, memorable characters and humor, this game is a well-executed package.
8.5 Graphics
The 3D/2D mash-up is fun, and the colorful world begs to be explored.
8.5 Sound
The music is fun and quirky, and helps set the mood of different atmospheres and all of the voice acting is well delivered.
8.0 Gameplay
Surprise! Loot-drop style games are addictive and fun. A bit more variety in the quests would have been welcome though.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
I completed everything in around eight hours, but even when you reach level 20 you can still run around and kill stuff, I just didn’t feel the need to.
OVERALL Great
(out of 10)

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
DTS and 1080P is nice for the PS3 version, but more important question to me is the sound compressed on the 360 version? This would be more of a deal breaker for me on getting it on 360. I've noticed difference in sound quality between downloadable games on PS3 and 360 because they compressed the 360 sound to make the file smaller.
1 day sooner, that's all you need to know.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mrbob said:
All sound is compressed on the 360 because every game outputs in Dolby Digital.

burgerdog

Bamelin said:
Meh I have points on the 360, but it sounds like PSN is the superior version?
I need to find out if the xbox version is 1080p in order to make my decision. Hopefully ps3 version has a demo then I can compare both tomorrow.

burgerdog

Ah, good stuff. More devs need to have demos for digital releases on psn, especially if it's a game that is also on xbl which has to have a demo.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ooooh. Didn't know this was already set to hit. I'll have to pick this up for my PS3 when I get back from my vacation!

Schlomo said:
Heard of this for the first time here. Graphics look very nice, I love the fresh cartoon style. But the genre is sadly not my cup of tea. They should make an adventure game spin-off or something.

There is supposed to be some kind of Adventure game element to it. It is made by the Monkey Island guy...

Hmmm I'm still not sure, but I'm glad there is a demo.
The 15 price makes it harder to buy any game, I either get this or Joe Danger and I don't think I can go wrong either way.

Top Bottom