• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I haven't played the demo yet, but I already know I'm going to purchase the game based on the Eurogamer review:

Eurogamer Review said:
I've counted three separate faecal inventory items, two other items that cause enemies to pinch off swirled, comedy loaves and innumerable references to bodily excretions.

legbone

great game. played the demo to the end of the time limit and then bought the full release. i am a loot whore and this really scratches the itch better than any game this gen. i will tolerate the humor (i laughed a few times at least) for the gameplay. i hope i don't get fed up before finishing. but it feels so good to play a great loot game in hd (i played sacred 2 but something felt lacking). i wish they would do a Champions of Norrath collection like the God of War Collection. But my two greatest wishes (besides a blackthorne update) are wanting a torchlight and diablo III console release. my pc sucks.

Lunchbox

Banned
Jroderton said:
Someone explain what a "loot" game is exactly? Just collecting gold and items a lot of times?

-you have a sword that does 100 damage
-you kill a boss thats lvl 12, he drops a sword that does 150
-but you cant use it yet because youre a lvl 11
-you beat another boss to get to lvl 12 so you can use your 150 damage sword now
-but WAIT !! that boss dropped an axe that does 200 damage.....but you have to lvl 14 to use it

neeeeeeeeerd

Minamu

The psn demo was alot more fun than expected. I only found out about DeathSpank's voice the other day and that kinda bummed me a but hearing it for myself was a whole different story. The humor might just be enough to save the dreadfully boring loot-oriented gameplay. Will probably buy in some upcoming drought.

Crazypanda_85 said:
I played the demo. I went from "eh" to "meh" to "hmmm...".

To everyone who has played this game: At the end of the day, is DS worth $15?

So far if you like the demo you will like the game. $15 would be a personal call to each.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Demo's not bad. Gives me a Diablo feeling that other hack-slash lootwhore games don't give me.

However, the humor isn't really funny. :|

For $10, I'd buy it. But not for $15. Sorry, EA. :(

Lunchbox said:
-you have a sword that does 100 damage
-you kill a boss thats lvl 12, he drops a sword that does 150
-but you cant use it yet because youre a lvl 11
-you beat another boss to get to lvl 12 so you can use your 150 damage sword now
-but WAIT !! that boss dropped an axe that does 200 damage.....but you have to lvl 14 to use it

neeeeeeeeerd

Perfect :lol

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Tried the PSN version even though I know I'll buy the XBLA one if I do buy it. I enjoyed it a lot. Still not entirely sure, but I'll most likely pick it up. After some of the impressions I was expecting to be turned off by the humor, but I was pretty amused by some of the dialog. Not bursting out laughing, but definitely amused.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
played the demo just to make sure the gameplay wasnt crap, and loved it. Very diablo like. And of course the humor is great if you liked the Monkey Island games.

eznark

Banned
TheSeks said:
Demo's not bad. Gives me a Diablo feeling that other hack-slash lootwhore games don't give me.

However, the humor isn't really funny. :|

For $10, I'd buy it. But not for $15. Sorry, EA. :(

EA?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Demo was fun enough but I skipped through the dialogue/story as I couldn't stand it.

I'll pick it up on sale in the future. I want to kill that dragon.

xbhaskarx

kanugo said:
I don't know if this was asked/answered before, but will this game have local co-op?

That's why you need a system.
memento_guy_pearce.jpg

xbhaskarx

brandonh83 said:
It's pathetic how hard this game tries to be funny. Pretty much every line belongs to that wannabe class clown that nobody likes.

Datwheezy said:
And of course the humor is great if you liked the Monkey Island games.

So is the humor lame and juvenile, or is it like the Monkey Island games?

Speevy

Banned
The problem with the humor that I think people are trying to articulate is that unlike those classic adventure games that some of you grew up playing, there's no subtlety.

It's like "Here's a giant, man-eating KITTEN. And he's got a EVIL clichéd something or other so we're MAKING FUN OF OTHER GAMES. I'm a NARCISSISTIC SUPERHERO who kills OLD LADIES when it's CONVENIENT TO ME. This potion will KICK YOUR ASS.

It's certainly cute, but I haven't found it clever.

The gameplay and graphics however are very pleasing to me.

legbone

well, i figured out what the good and evil sliders are for. i don't want to spoil it for anyone but it was pretty damn cool and unique.

I fucking hate the quest system in this game. I'm about to beat it
gathering the last few mats for the sword
and I fucking cannot figure something out and it's bugging the hell out of me. Basically you have to find a certain item to unlock parts of the quest to tell you how to do it, but to me that's flawed. What's worse is having like 4 done quests without knowing where to turn them in.

fake edit: despite this I really think this game is fun, but it's got problems. I would pick it up again knowing this but still...

schick85

I don't think you guys should be taking the game so seriously. I mean come on. The protagonist is cracking "poop" jokes for god sakes. The game was obviously intended for 8 year olds. (Not saying that's a bad thing)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
schick85 said:
I don't think you guys should be taking the game so seriously. I mean come on. The protagonist is cracking "poop" jokes for god sakes. The game was obviously intended for 8 year olds. (Not saying that's a bad thing)
Poop jokes are a time honored tradition that transcend age, race or creed.

Sweet, I've been waiting for this game since last year when I saw it at PAX.

And what pray tell, is wrong with the humor in the Monkey Island games?

GhaleonQ

Speevy said:
Yeah, I don't really know what to say here. I mean, PC adventure games are funny, Ron Gilbert is behind some of the best ones, but Deathspank is just about the most unfunny game to use humor that I've ever played.

Conclusion: Ron Gilbert's always been overrated.

*hides avatar*

Stayed up and ended up beating it. Nothing's really changed from what I posted before, and I still enjoyed it overall despite its problems. I'm not really sure if I'd be interested in sequels unless they really started to evolve it. Most of the loot is entirely useless and there's not many places to grind once you beat the game so there's nothing left to do after the fact, either. Proper coop and a character creation system would be two things to start with on the sequel.

FYI for PS3 owners: the vsync doesn't bother me much, but if you don't you hate that sort of thing then I'd either wait for a patch or get it on 360 at this point because it can get bad sometimes.

AcridMeat

Banned
Curse those with poor impressions for plaguing my mind with doubt! Now I'm debating whether I want this or Puzzle Quest 2.

I've loved this game's concept and art style for so long; I'll play the demo on XBL when I can and hopefully be reassured. :D

xbhaskarx

Well, I played through the demo on PSN, and I enjoyed it. I hate juvenile humor, but this wasn't so bad. Of course I didn't get to the poop humor yet so that could change in the future. But at least there is an option to skip through the story....
I'll try it for a bit on XBLA and then buy the better version.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
legbone said:
well, i figured out what the good and evil sliders are for. i don't want to spoil it for anyone but it was pretty damn cool and unique.

Put it in spoilers because its driving me crazy with the demo and I have to wait a while to buy it :lol

lsslave said:
Put it in spoilers because its driving me crazy with the demo and I have to wait a while to buy it :lol
It's not really a spoiler, not sure why he didn't just say. It's for an achievement/trophy, that's all.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so, all this talk about tearing has me holding out to test the 360 version. Has somebody already beat me to it? Does the 360 version tear aswell?

xbhaskarx

Corky said:
so, all this talk about tearing has me holding out to test the 360 version. Has somebody already beat me to it? Does the 360 version tear aswell?

It won't be out for another 40 minutes to an hour.

TTP said:
The tearing was bad at the very beginning of the game, but suddenly disappeared as I progressed. Odd.

Anyways, I liked what I played and will buy for sure. Impressed by the amount of spoken dialog (yes, he does totally sound like Quark :D) and the graphics detail. Combat looks mindless but hopefully it gets better when confronting more sophisticated enemies. Albeit I understand this is more a Diablo than a Bayonetta.

Oh, game supports custom music on PS3 (from XMB).

Same here.

First scene of the demo had more tearing than Edward Scissorshand's girlfriend and then it disappeared.

Top Bottom