• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

Toki767

Is co-op in this only local? Seemed like it would've been fun to play online. Still probably going to get it anyways since it looks awesome.

Hmmm...kinda torn on this one.

I love Ron Gilbert and the game looks like it has a lot of character. On the other hand, I tend to get bored of these 'loot' games after a couple of hours. Guess I'll try the demo and see how the moment-to-moment gameplay is.

19Kilo

Sounds like IGN had some slowdown issues on the PSN version. I wonder what rez they played in, and if the XBLA version has the same issues. They did mention that it didn't detract from the gameplay, so I'm not worried about it.

Alex

Oh nice, 1080p. That makes the no PC version sting a bit less for sure. Sucks that it doesn't seem to have any new game+ modes or anything, apparently. Loot games dont HAVE to have multiplayer, but they should have ways to keep the character development rolling.

Alex said:
Sucks that it doesn't seem to have any new game+ modes or anything, apparently. Loot games dont HAVE to have multiplayer, but they should have ways to keep the character development rolling.

My biggest beef with the game as well. Maybe DLC will correct that.

IGN said the game is about 8 hours.

That's good for a download game. But still, the developers were saying it would be 15 hrs.

I'm still torn of this one. I'm still wondering if I should get it or not.

SapientWolf said:
All sound is compressed on the 360 because every game outputs in Dolby Digital.

He's saying that sound is often MORE compressed on 360 download games than 360 retail games. There's output compression, but there is also storage compression (compressing the samples) and audio gets compressed on all platforms on a variety of titles for storage and even bandwidth purposes (you can read compressed audio off the hard drive faster). That said, since 360 only has lossy output for surround, that means stacking codecs and potentially increasing audible artifacts. Still, you really can't judge how a 360 title sounds to a PS3 title without actually comparing the two. That said, the PS3 game offers 7.1 so that's nice for potential future system upgrades.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Beer Monkey said:
He's saying that sound is often MORE compressed on 360 download games than 360 retail games. There's output compression, but there is also storage compression (compressing the samples) and audio gets compressed on all platforms on a variety of titles for storage and even bandwidth purposes (you can read compressed audio off the hard drive faster). That said, since 360 only has lossy output for surround, that means stacking codecs and potentially increasing audible artifacts. Still, you really can't judge how a 360 title sounds to a PS3 title without actually comparing the two. That said, the PS3 game offers 7.1 so that's nice for potential future system upgrades.
I know, I was being snarky. :p

The download size should be the same across platforms so I don't see why the audio would be any more or less compressed. It's more of an issue when comparing DVD and Blu Ray games.

Mrbob

I notice it mostly with Capcom games.

Bionic Commando Rearmed and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 don't sound as well on 360 as they did on PS3 based on the demos I played of each one.

Man

Posted in PS Store thread.
Man said:
Got Deathspank demo up and running.
Game got tearing and that is a bummer but DO NOT underestimate the visuals in this game. REALLY pretty and clearly 1080P, very very crisp. Rolling world is amazing.

I would also like to state they got the basics down superbly. I've played most of the excellent console Diablo clones (BGDA, Champions, Xmen, Diablo PSone etc) but it's scary how well they have mimicked the feel of Diablo 2 (and seemingly 3's polygonal animation) with this title. How particles bounce, the tempo of the animations...etc very spot on.

It's also cool that the demo level music is almost a slightly humorous but cool nod to the Tristram music.

PS! I see there is Day/Night transition.

PPS! Turn on combat text in options.

burgerdog

Game is sharp indeed, 1080p ftw.

edit

Damn, the game defaults to DD if you have both DD and DTS on, bummer. There also seems to be tearing every now and then. I wonder if it tears at 720p.

Played the demo as well.

Not very impressed by the combat or the graphics, the main character is captain Qwark which is VERY distracting and the humor seems to be random for the sake of being random and a little too over the top for my taste.

Still, I had fun and you get to collect loot, so I think I'll buy it it at some point.

JWong

Banned
Toki767 said:
Is co-op in this only local? Seemed like it would've been fun to play online. Still probably going to get it anyways since it looks awesome.
Like Fable 2, people didn't like coop because only one person got stuff to keep.

That is the case with Deathspank. Your coop second player is just a weird minion. You can pick from several of them, I think.

So that's why it's not worth it to be online.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
About an hour in, fun with colorful visuals. Fun dialogue too. Very happy with purchase.

Custom soundtracks are in too!

Raide

JWong said:
Like Fable 2, people didn't like coop because only one person got stuff to keep.

That is the case with Deathspank. Your coop second player is just a weird minion. You can pick from several of them, I think.

So that's why it's not worth it to be online.

Torchlight without MP and now this game with a poor co-op replacement. What the hell happened to loot games that made developers think they did not need a solid co-op/MP mode? Did the Diablo series not teach them anything?

I love the humour but without a solid MP component, I will get bored in a few hours, even if the loot is abundant.

Lunchbox

Banned
weird difficulty spikes. you have level 1s running around that die with one hit, then in the same area a bunch of level 4/5 shows up. dont like the health system too much either and its really missing co-op

still pretty fun. probably will get it tonight on xbla

JWong

Banned
Raide said:
Torchlight without MP and now this game with a poor co-op replacement. What the hell happened to loot games that made developers think they did not need a solid co-op/MP mode? Did the Diablo series not teach them anything?

I love the humour but without a solid MP component, I will get bored in a few hours, even if the loot is abundant.
Loot game and Multiplayer are mutually exclusive. There are a ton of great games in that category.

Take World of Warcraft as an example. If there was no online multiplayer to it, I would still have a blast because the lore, world, and quests keep me going. Deathspank seems like it has that same quest and lore structure with the humour.

Demanding multiplayer for this game is quite pointless, especially when it is a downloadable size game.

burgerdog

LiquidMetal14 said:
720, no tearing here.
Ah, kind of figured the game would be tear free at 720p. RE5 on 360 suffers from tearing when playing on anything higher than 720p. Game is great, can't wait to play some more after I buy it.

It's pathetic how hard this game tries to be funny. Pretty much every line belongs to that wannabe class clown that nobody likes.

Speevy

Banned
brandonh83 said:
It's pathetic how hard this game tries to be funny. Pretty much every line belongs to that wannabe class clown that nobody likes.

Yeah, I don't really know what to say here. I mean, PC adventure games are funny, Ron Gilbert is behind some of the best ones, but Deathspank is just about the most unfunny game to use humor that I've ever played.

Sqorgar

Banned
brandonh83 said:
If you have problems with the dialogue, that's my fault. Sorry I couldn't be funnier.

burgerdog

Sqorgar said:
If you have problems with the dialogue, that's my fault. Sorry I couldn't be funnier.
Eh, for what it's worth, I thought it fit perfectly with the graphical style of the game, if that makes any sense.

Haunted

Sqorgar said:
Good job ruining everyone's day again, Squidi.
Haven't played the game yet.

Sqorgar said:

I just think it tries too hard. For what it's worth, I'm liking the game a lot and I think it's a steal so far for $15. I've never really been a big fan though of the super-humor self-aware approach of games like this and Monkey Island but it's hardly anything to keep me from playing it.

I'm glad there's a new downloadable game like this that isn't another shooter or puzzle title. I do like it, I just find too much of a strain on the comedy is all.

Corto

Sqorgar said:

I loved it... on the demo. And it even has bacon!:D Everything is better with bacon!

I hit lvl 11 and I just got my gear back. So far this game is very very repetitive, but for some reason I don't mind it here and enjoy it for the most part. The writing is pretty stupid, and even though I enjoy the Monkey Island stuff Deathspank seems like it's trying way too hard. Based on what I've played I can only guess that each zone is gonna take a little under an hour, so the 8hr figure IGN gives sounds about right. I think I'm actually gonna try to finish it this week, but after that I will most likely never go back to it, DLC or not.

soldat7

LiquidMetal14 said:
720, no tearing here.

This is correct. I switched from 1080p (almost constant tearing) to 720p (almost no tearing.) It's a shame, but also why I play Wipeout HD at 720p.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Crazypanda_85 said:
I played the demo. I went from "eh" to "meh" to "hmmm...".

To everyone who has played this game: At the end of the day, is DS worth $15?
You won't feel jipped. Good production too.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Speevy said:
Yeah, I don't really know what to say here. I mean, PC adventure games are funny, Ron Gilbert is behind some of the best ones, but Deathspank is just about the most unfunny game to use humor that I've ever played.
Better than Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust at least!

And how can I hate on the game when the writer posts in this very thread? :(
Sorry guy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The tearing was bad at the very beginning of the game, but suddenly disappeared as I progressed. Odd.

Anyways, I liked what I played and will buy for sure. Impressed by the amount of spoken dialog (yes, he does totally sound like Quark :D) and the graphics detail. Combat looks mindless but hopefully it gets better when confronting more sophisticated enemies. Albeit I understand this is more a Diablo than a Bayonetta.

Oh, game supports custom music on PS3 (from XMB).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lunchbox said:
you got used to it

I never to get used to tearing believe me.

Perhaps it's the camera. I kept it zoomed in the whole time.

Anyway, just read Eurogamer review and looks like the full game is the demo x 10 hrs.

Hm, not sure I like that proposition.

Sqorgar

Banned
dallow_bg said:
And how can I hate on the game when the writer posts in this very thread? :(
Sorry guy.
I don't mind. Not everybody has the same sense of humor. And especially in a game like DeathSpank, which telegraphs that it wants you to laugh, it can be off-putting to certain sensibilities. Seems like it is trying too hard. I get that. But that's kind of where DeathSpank was born and that's the sense of humor that this project called for (otherwise, it wouldn't be called "DeathSpank"). I think that if you can get in the right mindset, the game is hilarious.

Besides, I only wrote some of the dialogue. I think Ron wrote the rest. I'll just blame all the lame jokes on him.

Top Bottom