• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Picked up Porco Rosso today at Costco and canceled my Amazon order - I didn't think they released until next week but maybe it's not a firm date (or someone screwed up).

They also had Pom Poko and Tales From Earthsea on Blu-ray...I passed on both. Pom Poko is not my favourite Ghibli movie, at all (way too much narration, too long), and Earthsea was a bit hard to swallow at full price as I've heard many people say it's the worst Ghibli movie. It's also the only one outside of Cagliostro that I haven't seen, so maybe it would have been worth nabbing just to watch once. I dunno.

Some are downright gorgeous, especially Sleeping Beauty, and might benefit from future transfers. Others, not so much. Fox & the Hound is pretty gross looking to be honest, as are others of that era.
How much were they at Costco?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If I wanted to collect Disney shorts, I'd make a list first. Many Disney blu releases of full-length films come with one or two shorts on them. So I'd start with those. Thankfully, some of the Disney fans on the blu-ray.com forums have made pretty great lists:

Shorts by type: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6037173&postcount=1
Shorts by blu-ray release order: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6037197&postcount=2
Slightly more updated shorts by original release year, along with the blu-ray release they were attached to: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8795285&postcount=398

But after that, the Treasures line is in fact the last home release for most of the shorts, and it seems unlikely they will release many of them on Blu-Ray (the Treasures DVD releases were somewhat improbable themselves, unprofitable by the end, and happened at least partially because of Leonard Matlin pushing the issue). I'd hope for streaming, personally.

Fox Mulder

If I wanted to collect Disney shorts, I'd make a list first. Many Disney blu releases of full-length films come with one or two shorts on them. So I'd start with those. Thankfully, some of the Disney fans on the blu-ray.com forums have made pretty great lists:

Shorts by blu-ray release order: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6037197&postcount=2
Slightly more updated shorts by original release year, along with the blu-ray release they were attached to: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8795285&postcount=398

But after that, the Treasures line is in fact the last home release for most of the shorts, and it seems unlikely they will release many of them on Blu-Ray (the Treasures DVD releases were somewhat improbable themselves, unprofitable by the end, and happened at least partially because of Leonard Matlin pushing the issue). I'd hope for streaming, personally.

it's such a shame there's no market for these and the companies arent committed to remastering these classic anyways. I got the sadly named Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 1, and one of the looney toons collections, but they sell like shit and studios don't really care about the format really. Disney didn't even release the newest Mickey shorts on bluray.

Credo

That's a bummer, but I expected it. I guess I'll have to make a spreadsheet like you suggested because there's no way I'm going to spend thousands to get all of those marked-up Walt Disney Treasures DVDs, as much as I'd love to have them. It looks like you can get volumes 1-6 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection for $100 on Amazon, while some of those Walt Disney Treasures DVDs cost that much for just one. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from Disney though. I've been waiting almost 7 years for them to release seasons 4 and 5 of the Muppet Show :(

i saw all three today. They were tucked away on the side of those four sided new release displays though.

disney doesnt release many 3d blurays in the US anymore, including the upcoming Big Hero 6.
Picked them up today, they are pretty well tucked away.

Are they still replacing little mermaid disks? Are any versions safe? I got the 3d, bluray, DVD version of it today.

Will these Ghibli discs go out of print like a lot of the classic Disney movies? I want these for my daughter, but she's a little too young now. But, I'm afraid they'll be gone if I don't jump on them now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Will these Ghibli discs go out of print like a lot of the classic Disney movies? I want these for my daughter, but she's a little too young now. But, I'm afraid they'll be gone if I don't jump on them now.

So far, no they haven't, and there's no Vault system or anything like that. But anything can happen, and Disney is in many cases a licensor, so it's feasible to imagine some time in the future where another company gets the rights.

Chuck

Still without luck
omg got my copy of Dalmations today
AU7Amsc.gif

That's a bummer, but I expected it. I guess I'll have to make a spreadsheet like you suggested because there's no way I'm going to spend thousands to get all of those marked-up Walt Disney Treasures DVDs, as much as I'd love to have them. It looks like you can get volumes 1-6 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection for $100 on Amazon, while some of those Walt Disney Treasures DVDs cost that much for just one. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from Disney though. I've been waiting almost 7 years for them to release seasons 4 and 5 of the Muppet Show :(
Unfortunately you missed the boat by 2 years or so. After the prices on those went insane they released a collectors tin of all of those treasures DVDs for $500 on the d23 site. That was the last reasonable price to buy that I've seen. I was incredibly lucky to realize they did it. Hopefully one day they'll release them all but like other companies, most people don't care and those companies seem to love continually relaunching to screw over those who do care any how. It's funny too that companies day they don't care but they release such bad content that many times it feels like a self fulfilling prophecy. Disney saw demand drop so they started only release the old oddball shows with real people in them... I'm pretty sure that's a niche of a niche market.

Credo

Well, I got my initial shipment of 7 movies from Disney Movie Club. Unfortunately, only 2 of the 7 have slip covers. Do any of you know a place that sells replacement slip covers or am I going to have to start watching eBay every day?

omgkitty

Unfortunately you missed the boat by 2 years or so. After the prices on those went insane they released a collectors tin of all of those treasures DVDs for $500 on the d23 site. That was the last reasonable price to buy that I've seen. I was incredibly lucky to realize they did it. Hopefully one day they'll release them all but like other companies, most people don't care and those companies seem to love continually relaunching to screw over those who do care any how. It's funny too that companies day they don't care but they release such bad content that many times it feels like a self fulfilling prophecy. Disney saw demand drop so they started only release the old oddball shows with real people in them... I'm pretty sure that's a niche of a niche market.

Disney just needs a streaming service with all of their content. Disney is one of the largest rights holders in the world when it comes to how much they own, and they could easily justify a service if they just threw it all up.

Fox Mulder

Well, I got my initial shipment of 7 movies from Disney Movie Club. Unfortunately, only 2 of the 7 have slip covers. Do any of you know a place that sells replacement slip covers or am I going to have to start watching eBay every day?

Disney will replace them for a fee if you contact them.

isny

napkin dispenser

I'm probably going to rip mine soon, so if you're interested in the files shoot me a message. (I own about four or five of the treasure DVD sets.)

XShagrath

I've got all of the Treasures sets, except for the Zorro ones. I don't think I'd ever watch those, but I'm still kicking myself in the pants for never grabbing them and now having an incomplete set.

Credo

I was actually watching one of those D23 premium sets for sale on eBay, but the bidding got up to around $1,100, so I gave up on it. It's a shame that those will probably be the last discs the company ever puts out.

Synless

So when's Aladdin out? The preview on 101 Dalamations made it seem like it's out now without listing a date or coming soon.

Which ones didn't come in slips? I just got my initial order and all of mine had the slip covers.

Too bad my mail people aren't the best and half of them looked like they were stepped on

Credo

Which ones didn't come in slips? I just got my initial order and all of mine had the slip covers.

Too bad my mail people aren't the best and half of them looked like they were stepped on

The ones I ordered that came with slip covers were Sleeping Beauty and Jungle Book. The ones that didn't have slip covers are The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Dumbo, Robin Hood, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

It may be that Dumbo, Robin Hood, and Pooh don't have the covers because they're not diamond editions, but both Little Mermaid and Cinderella are. I need to find a place that lists which Blu Rays come with them.

The ones I ordered that came with slip covers were Sleeping Beauty and Jungle Book. The ones that didn't have slip covers are The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Dumbo, Robin Hood, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

It may be that Dumbo, Robin Hood, and Pooh don't have the covers because they're not diamond editions, but both Little Mermaid and Cinderella are. I need to find a place that lists which Blu Rays come with them.

That's strange. I also got Cinderella but I got a slip cover. Wonder what the deal is on that.

Fox Mulder

i only just recently got an interest in these, shame it's so out of print. This stuff should be available digitally if they don't want to print dvds again or even step up to bluray.

the disney movie club still has a few available, and a used bookstore near here has a couple. I'm not going to pay top dollar for sealed copies though.

Oozer3993

I have slip covers for both Dumbo and Robin Hood so they do exist.

Boogiepop

Hopefully this isn't too wrong of a place to ask, but since I don't see an actual thread for it and there's some discussion on the site here:
Recently signed up for the Disney Movie Club thing to finish out my Ghibli collection (sadly had to go DVD for Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso thanks to the "Members Only" nonsense in the initial setup), and I was preparing to finish things out with the two commitment titles I needed to still grab. However, I can't seem to turn off the darn special 40% offer to save me. Everything I look at seems to say you click "special offers", then "other offers," and then you get an option to not use a discount. However, when I click special offers it only shows a variety of offers and a "view all offers" button. And looking around the site hard as I can, I just can NOT find this darn option. Can anyone help me out here?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hopefully this isn't too wrong of a place to ask, but since I don't see an actual thread for it and there's some discussion on the site here:
Recently signed up for the Disney Movie Club thing to finish out my Ghibli collection (sadly had to go DVD for Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso thanks to the "Members Only" nonsense in the initial setup), and I was preparing to finish things out with the two commitment titles I needed to still grab. However, I can't seem to turn off the darn special 40% offer to save me. Everything I look at seems to say you click "special offers", then "other offers," and then you get an option to not use a discount. However, when I click special offers it only shows a variety of offers and a "view all offers" button. And looking around the site hard as I can, I just can NOT find this darn option. Can anyone help me out here?

Click Special Offers -> View All Offers. You should come to this page:
LBzISxt.png

On the right hand side, the module says "Shop Using a Site-Wide Discount". The second choice is "No Discount". Click it and the page will reload and you will no longer have a discount.

Boogiepop

Click Special Offers -> View All Offers. You should come to this page:
LBzISxt.png

On the right hand side, the module says "Shop Using a Site-Wide Discount". The second choice is "No Discount". Click it and the page will reload and you will no longer have a discount.

Bizarrely, I see exactly that, but it only has the first bubble for selection and then nothing else, with some more ads below it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Since you weren't clear in your original post, is it possible that your initial commitment order hasn't shipped yet? I think some people have reported troubled trying to finish out their membership instantly. Maybe wait a week or two and see if the option appears?

Boogiepop

Since you weren't clear in your original post, is it possible that your initial commitment order hasn't shipped yet? I think some people have reported troubled trying to finish out their membership instantly. Maybe wait a week or two and see if the option appears?

Ah yes, I only just got cleared as a member and wanted to get it finished out. But yeah, no rush so I'll just give it some time then, thanks.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
sadly had to go DVD for Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso thanks to the "Members Only" nonsense in the initial setup

So you can't order those two blu-rays upon sign up? After you complete your initial order of the 6-7, you can buy those blus as part of your commitment though, right?

I can't seem to turn off the darn special 40% offer to save me.

Why don't you want the 40% offer?

Boogiepop

So you can't order those two blu-rays upon sign up? After you complete your initial order of the 6-7, you can buy those blus as part of your commitment though, right?

Why don't you want the 40% offer?

I needed to save the post sign-up blu-rays for commitment for Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises, since those aren't available at all for non-members. And it ruins the cost balance of the thing if you do more than the absolutely necessary two after signing up, far as I can tell, and unfortunately I don't want enough other stuff to justify a second time around for now. It's not a huge deal though as I already had Kiki as a DVD in the past and Spirited Away is only on DVD, and I'm not a big stickler for quality that I'm that worried about having the Blu-rays. But yeah, not ideal.

And I don't want the 40% since it makes the discounted item no longer count as a commitment item.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I needed to save the post sign-up blu-rays for commitment for Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises, since those aren't available at all for non-members. And it ruins the cost balance of the thing if you do more than the absolutely necessary two after signing up, far as I can tell, and unfortunately I don't want enough other stuff to justify a second time around for now. It's not a huge deal though as I already had Kiki as a DVD in the past and Spirited Away is only on DVD, and I'm not a big stickler for quality that I'm that worried about having the Blu-rays. But yeah, not ideal.

Hmm, do "Members Only" titles ever become available in the initial sign up process? They have 7 Ghibli titles at start up, but I already have Ponyo and I don't really want any non Ghibli movies right now. You'd think Castle in the Sky would be in there since it's been out for several years, but it isn't - it's still Members Only.

And I don't want the 40% since it makes the discounted item no longer count as a commitment item.

Ah, I see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any new info on the US Aladdin blu ray yet? I need to fanciest L.E. (pls make one Disney)

It's a Diamond Edition, which is Disney's most high-importance release category. But they don't typically release limited editions of everything. They have done Steelbook partnerships with individual retailers in the past (no bonus features besides the case). So, glass half full or glass half empty?

It's a Diamond Edition, which is Disney's most high-importance release category. But they don't typically release limited editions of everything. They have done Steelbook partnerships with individual retailers in the past (no bonus features besides the case). So, glass half full or glass half empty?

Yeah, I'll have to find whichever retailer is doing the fanciest extra then I guess. I like the Disney Store lithographs, but that's not enough for my Aladdin.

With them taking SO long, and it being Aladdin, I hope they can come up with something fancier. So I guess my hopes are half-full. haha.

Chuck

Still without luck
Finally got back to watching Dalmations for I'd say probably the 101st time but also the 1st time in 10 or so years.

So amazing, such a classic and a classic from my childhood as well. Wonderful to see it once again.

I'm debating whether I should get the little mermaid with my rewards points since I have enough. It would end up using most of them though.

Top Bottom