• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Since 101 Dalmatians and Big Hero 6 have both been dated for next month, I updated the OP's release list. Aladdin is tentatively scheduled for Fall but no concrete date or cover art from what I can see.

full-listpzusn.jpg

In addition, Disney Movie Club featured title for the month is 101 Dalmatians + 101 Dalmatians II Patch's Poopy Adventure for $34.95

Anth0ny

It's officially 2015 and Aladdin still hasn't dropped in North America.

I swear we were talking about it like 5 years ago saying "Well there's nothing big planned for late 2012, Aladdin will likely be in that slot."

:(

isny

napkin dispenser

I swear we were talking about it like 5 years ago saying "Well there's nothing big planned for late 2012, Aladdin will likely be in that slot."

This is why I bought it for ten euro in Spain at a Disney store.

Who know if we'll ever actually get it at this rate...

NR1

I imported Aladdin myself around this time last year from Europe. Disney is dragging its feet on that release. The blu-ray video quality blows the American DVD release away! If Disney ever gets around to it, I will buy the domestic release, but I;m very pleased with my import disc. I think I got it for $25 shipped from Amazon.

::EDIT::

Yep, You can get it off Amazon now with Prime shipping for $24.99. Region free!

http://www.amazon.com/Aladdin-Blu-ray-Scott-Weinger/dp/B003ARSYOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1420551190&sr=1-1&keywords=aladdin+blu+ray

Fox Mulder

Just import a region free copy.

isny

napkin dispenser
We're such an optimistic bunch, lol

I'm thinking of doing DMC sometime soonish. I think I've finally held off buying enough titles to make it worth while.

Frozen
Big Hero Six
Muppet's Most Wanted
Mononoke
Porco Rosso
Kiki
Pom Poko (Feb 3rd Release)
Tales from Earthsea (Feb 3rd Release)

Hrm, maybe I'm not quite at that point yet. What's happening this year? Pixar Mind Movie, and then Finding Dory in 2016? No Disney animated releases in 2015, two in 2016. Crazy.

johnsmith

remember me
I got the UK version of Aladdin. Don't regret it and I doubt I'll bother double dipping unless there's a ridiculous deal, which Disney seems to have stopped doing.

What do you do if you accidentally accept a monthly movie offer?

Somehow I got... The Santa Clause trilogy. *cringe* I could have sworn I denied it but I guess not. I dunno if I waited too long and now I'm stuck with it or if I call or go online to get a return slip?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What do you do if you accidentally accept a monthly movie offer?

Somehow I got... The Santa Clause trilogy. *cringe* I could have sworn I denied it but I guess not. I dunno if I waited too long and now I'm stuck with it or if I call or go online to get a return slip?

I believe you can return it within 1-2 months if unopened. I do find that it's a bit difficult to talk to someone at DMR so I'd get on that sooner rather than later.

If you can't return it I'll give you $10 + shipping.

Is anyone here a member of the Disney movie club? I'm interested to hear about some first hand experience with it. I feel like it would be a rip off but for some reason it still has my interest.

johnsmith

remember me
Is anyone here a member of the Disney movie club? I'm interested to hear about some first hand experience with it. I feel like it would be a rip off but for some reason it still has my interest.

I've done 2 memberships with them. 9 blu-rays for 89.70 is an insane deal for Disney blu-rays. Definitely not a rip off. You just need to make sure you decline the monthly titles they offer you if you don't want them, and cancel as soon as you complete your commitment.

Details here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

I've done 2 memberships with them. 9 blu-rays for 89.70 is an insane deal for Disney blu-rays. Definitely not a rip off. You just need to make sure you decline the monthly titles they offer you if you don't want them, and cancel as soon as you complete your commitment.

Details here:

Thanks! It's good to hear that it's a good value.

I think my wind rises blu ray came with a flyer with a special deal on it. I may have to look into that. I'm just not sure if I would like being locked in to a deal. It sounds like signing up for a cell phone :p

johnsmith

remember me
I would make sure to use one of the codes in the site I linked. The offers you get can vary, and some aren't as good as others.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I'm a member (doing my second membership). It's designed so that most people will be ripped off, but if you're smart you won't. A big tip: Don't order anything you don't absolutely, positively want, and you'll be happier. If you use the best available code you'll be paying about $10 a film and you'll be getting 10-ish films for $100-ish at the end, which is a great deal for Disney. Cancellation and resubscribing is easy. They shipped me an empty movie case once and were pretty good about replacing it. If you scan through the last few dozen pages of the thread here you'll see a lot of satisfied customers. The blu-ray.com forums link johnsmith linked is the best resource on the Internet for the DMC (their forums are also probably the best place on the internet to scoop new Disney BR announcements! I'm a big fan!)

Chuck

Still without luck

Details here:

which would be the 9 to definitely get with this deal? aka ,soonest to be vaulted.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
which would be the 9 to definitely get with this deal? aka ,soonest to be vaulted.

Stuff that's currently available which will be put in the vault eventually:
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
The Jungle Book
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians * Releases in about 2 weeks
+ the shitty direct-to-DVD sequels to any of the movies I just mentioned

Stuff that's currently in the vault:
Snow White
Pinocchio
Bambi
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King

Everything else stays in print and you don't need to worry about. Some Disney fans think Frozen will eventually be vaulted because OMG IT'S FROZEN but honestly, I don't think so.

Chuck

Still without luck
Stuff that's currently available which will be put in the vault eventually:
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
The Jungle Book
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians * Releases in about 2 weeks
+ the shitty direct-to-DVD sequels to any of the movies I just mentioned

Stuff that's currently in the vault:
Snow White
Pinocchio
Bambi
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King

Everything else stays in print and you don't need to worry about. Some Disney fans think Frozen will eventually be vaulted because OMG IT'S FROZEN but honestly, I don't think so.

Thanks! I guess it's safe to say the Pixar or Ghibli stuff won't get vaulted any time soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks! I guess it's safe to say the Pixar or Ghibli stuff won't get vaulted any time soon.

I mean, the risk with the Ghibli stuff is that Disney doesn't own it, they license it. So I guess you could have a scenario where they lose the license. I don't know what the contractual situation is. But Pixar is Disney and nothing Pixar has ever been vaulted.

I also think that as Disney shifts towards streaming and on-demand stuff, like the rest of the industry, the vault will become less common rather than more common.

Fox Mulder

I was in a lion king mood and was so mad my friend told me it was vaulted guess ill rent it and wait years for it to come back :(

It only went away recently though and has a region free option. The first result on Amazon is a new region free import for $30. Not bad unless you must have diamond editions or whatever.

Snow white and Pinocchio been gone far longer, cost more, and no region free option exist.

Got my first Disney Movie Club order!

I got Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Toy Story, Up, Mary Poppins, and My Neighbor Totoro plus a free mickey blanket from the promo offer.

Credo

For those of you who have owned Disney films on both DVD and Blu Ray, was there a large increase in quality of the Blu Ray films compared to the films on DVD? If so, do you think the same kind of leap in quality will happen when going from Blu Ray to 4K Blu Ray?

I thought about putting together a Disney collection a couple of years ago but hesitated for some reason, and now I'm not sure whether I should just eat the cost and get what I can of this generation's releases or try to be patient and wait for the 4K Blu Ray era.

DJ_Lae

Picked up Porco Rosso today at Costco and canceled my Amazon order - I didn't think they released until next week but maybe it's not a firm date (or someone screwed up).

They also had Pom Poko and Tales From Earthsea on Blu-ray...I passed on both. Pom Poko is not my favourite Ghibli movie, at all (way too much narration, too long), and Earthsea was a bit hard to swallow at full price as I've heard many people say it's the worst Ghibli movie. It's also the only one outside of Cagliostro that I haven't seen, so maybe it would have been worth nabbing just to watch once. I dunno.

For those of you who have owned Disney films on both DVD and Blu Ray, was there a large increase in quality of the Blu Ray films compared to the films on DVD? If so, do you think the same kind of leap in quality will happen when going from Blu Ray to 4K Blu Ray?

Some are downright gorgeous, especially Sleeping Beauty, and might benefit from future transfers. Others, not so much. Fox & the Hound is pretty gross looking to be honest, as are others of that era.

Draconian

I thought about putting together a Disney collection a couple of years ago but hesitated for some reason, and now I'm not sure whether I should just eat the cost and get what I can of this generation's releases or try to be patient and wait for the 4K Blu Ray era.

It pretty much depends on what it is. Everything I've seen that's gotten a Diamond Edition looks fantastic though. I'm particularly blown away by how good The Lion King is. The non-Diamond Edition ones can be a hit or a miss though. They've been known to DNR some of those quite a bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

There's an enormous increase in quality in the titles that they thoughtfully remastered, less so for the lesser titles. Do you think Disney will actually release 4K films at home? Their shift as a company towards digital has been palpable. I personally don't expect the entire Disney catalogue to get a 4K physical release.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There's an enormous increase in quality in the titles that they thoughtfully remastered, less so for the lesser titles. Do you think Disney will actually release 4K films at home? Their shift as a company towards digital has been palpable. I personally don't expect the entire Disney catalogue to get a 4K physical release.

I would agree with this. Plus, people severely overestimate the quality jump 4K would be for most home theater setups. You're generally not going to notice much of a difference on a screen smaller than 80" or so. Blu-ray is more than good enough for 90% of the consumer base.

Theonik

I would agree with this. Plus, people severely overestimate the quality jump 4K would be for most home theater setups. You're generally not going to notice much of a difference on a screen smaller than 80" or so. Blu-ray is more than good enough for 90% of the consumer base.
This is not entirely true. UHD also brings massive colour improvements to the table. And the resolution bump will still be noticed in standard sets. Of course it is the lesser improvement.

They still seem to not know what they're doing with home video releases/streaming, IMO.

Credo

Thanks for the responses. I already own 10 Ghibli films on Blu Ray, so I might as well try to get all the Disney films I can on that same platform. That Snow White price makes me cringe though.

Chuck

Still without luck
Got The Lion King on blu ray from ebay and watched it tonight. Still an amazing movie that could have come out last year. Looked incredible.

Is best buy not getting in the most recent release of studio ghibli movies? Amazon sucks dick with packaging so I don't want to order from them if possible.

I just found out that the 3D version of ratatouille from the UK is region locked. Ugh. I'm hoping this isn't a new trend as I've been holding out for the 3D version of Big Hero 6 and don't want to be screwed by this bullshit.

Fox Mulder

Is best buy not getting in the most recent release of studio ghibli movies? Amazon sucks dick with packaging so I don't want to order from them if possible.

i saw all three today. They were tucked away on the side of those four sided new release displays though.

I just found out that the 3D version of ratatouille from the UK is region locked. Ugh. I'm hoping this isn't a new trend as I've been holding out for the 3D version of Big Hero 6 and don't want to be screwed by this bullshit.

disney doesnt release many 3d blurays in the US anymore, including the upcoming Big Hero 6.

disney doesnt release many 3d blurays in the US anymore, including the upcoming Big Hero 6.

I know. Outside of the Marvel stuff, it seems if you want a Disney 3d Blu Ray you need to import it from across the pond. That was fine for a while as their releases have been region free but last year they released Ratatouille 3D and they region locked it. My hope is that they don't region lock BH6 and it's region free, like Frozen 3D was.

i saw all three today. They were tucked away on the side of those four sided new release displays though.

Cool, I'll go for a ride tonight or tomorrow. I couldn't find them on their site so I wasn't sure.

isny

napkin dispenser

All PIXAR titles released in the U.K. are region locked.

Top Bottom