• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It seems TLK and BatB are coming out of the Vault in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KWTZ1RG/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KLC7Z7S/

Europe doesn't give a fuck about the vault, hahaha. These will basically be unchanged copies of Disc 1 of the Diamond Edition, just without the branding. We get totally chumped in North America. I don't have a copy of BATB though, so this is kind of tempting. Eventually I'll crack and get a used Diamond Edition off eBay.

TEJ

Europe doesn't give a fuck about the vault, hahaha. These will basically be unchanged copies of Disc 1 of the Diamond Edition, just without the branding. We get totally chumped in North America. I don't have a copy of BATB though, so this is kind of tempting. Eventually I'll crack and get a used Diamond Edition off eBay.

Can I order stuff off of amazon uk if I live in America? i totally want that beauty and the beast blu ray
and another copy of the lion king
and it says the blu rays are region free.

/is completely ignorant on how amazon uk works

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can I order stuff off of amazon uk if I live in America? i totally want that beauty and the beast blu ray
and another copy of the lion king
and it says the blu rays are region free.

/is completely ignorant on how amazon uk works

You can't order anything on Amazon.co.uk, but you can order films (the price will be lower than listed too because UK prices are tax-included and you don't need to pay the tax IIRC). Personally I'm too anal retentive about the packaging of my Disney collection to import.

Fox Mulder

I bought Aladdin from the uk site because I got tired of waiting.

I'm about to myself, already imported a couple region free blurays from europe that are either out of print or not released here. I'm looking at disney movies next, and see amazon.uk has this deal...

Two Disney Blu-ray for £16
From Monday, September 29, 2014, when you buy two Disney Blu-ray from the selection below, you will be charged just £16 (“Offer”). Offer only applies to Qualifying Items purchased and dispatched from Amazon.co.uk. It does not apply to purchases made from third-party sellers at Amazon.co.uk’s Marketplace platform. This Offer ends on November 9, 2014.

Gonna get Aladdin, and throwing in 101 Dalmatians will be cheaper than the US release in a few months.

NR1

I bought Aladdin from the uk site because I got tired of waiting.

I really blows my mind that Disney felt the need to re-release Sleeping Beauty on a water down Platinum Edition rather than release a new film on Blu-ray. I imported Aladdin myself from the UK for $25 on Amazon a few months back and it blows away my DVD.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I really blows my mind that Disney felt the need to re-release Sleeping Beauty on a water down Platinum Edition rather than release a new film on Blu-ray. I imported Aladdin myself from the UK for $25 on Amazon a few months back and it blows away my DVD.

Sleeping Beauty has cross-marketing potential with Maleficent. But I agree that given the structural nosediving of physical sales, leaving a potential mega-hit for last likely leaves money on the table.

Fox Mulder

gotta get that Maleficent tie in money.

Does the UK suffer the vault shit too? I only ask because when making my order yesterday on amazon.uk, I saw numerous titles cheaply available that are vaulted here. They even have Frozen 3d, which is yet to be released in the US.

I'm perfectly fine with region free imports, might place another order before their 2 for £16 deal expires.

overcast

Yeah, kind of waiting for Lion King and Beauty and the Beast to be released from their cage. Eventually..

Can't believe Aladdin is still a year out.

jett

D-Member
Man this garbage DNR filter that Disney smears some of their animated movies in is god awful. This is unwatchable. I really don't understand blu-ray review sites sometimes. This deserves a zero in terms of image quality.
8453_3_1080p.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man this garbage DNR filter that Disney smears some of their animated movies in is god awful. This is unwatchable. I really don't understand blu-ray review sites sometimes. This deserves a zero in terms of image quality.

Robin Hood is one of the worse DNR Blu-Rays. Not as bad as Sword in the Stone but up there. :( Pity, because it's my fav of the animated canon.

Looking through the Disney Blu-Ray section of Amazon UK and it seems that all the classics are getting re-released with new artwork on slipcases and the "Disney Classics No. N" on the spine looking more minimalistic.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't see how Dinosaur, Bambi 2 and Fox and the Hound 2 are considered "animated classics" enough to get a Bluray release, when one of the best films of the 90's Disney renaissance animated by the Paris, France wing of the Disney studios cannot.

Bambi 2 and Fox and the Hound 2 aren't considered animated classics, they're DTV stuff; Dinosaur's place is a little complicated. It was part of the canon at the time of release but the studio was shortly thereafter shuttered and it typically hasn't been in the canon in Europe (instead replaced by The Wild). The labeling in general is based on being made by WDAS rather than DisneyToon or other Disney studios.

I don't see how Dinosaur, Bambi 2 and Fox and the Hound 2 are considered "animated classics" enough to get a Bluray release, when one of the best films of the 90's Disney renaissance animated by the Paris, France wing of the Disney studios cannot.

I don't make the rules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Animation_Studios_films

"Disney Animated Classics" are the movies that were made by Disney Animation Studios. As noted, there are some slight differences between the US and UK lists. The status as an Animated Classic is not related to the actual or perceived quality of the film. Also, not related in any way to blu-ray availability.

Fox Mulder

Looking through the Disney Blu-Ray section of Amazon UK and it seems that all the classics are getting re-released with new artwork on slipcases and the "Disney Classics No. N" on the spine looking more minimalistic.

just got my order in and the simple slipcovers look nice, they have a subtle foil look too. Going to order a few more before the sale ends.

just noticed how UK bluray cases are a little thicker and more sturdy feeling than the ones used for US releases too.

Which one is that?

A Goofy Movie breh, as referenced in my first response to stump. It's seriously a hidden gem of the mainline 90's movies, definitely in my top 5 of that era. It was directed by Kevin Lima, who went on to helm Tarzan and Enchanted. Currently I believe he might be at Dreamworks on an unannounced project. Looking a little deeper into the film, it looks like much of the pre-production was done in the Burbank Studio before being animated in Disney France, on top of some additional work handled by their Sydney studio as well.

It's such a shame. There isn't even a widescreen version of the film in existence for the US. A cropped, 15 year old DVD is all there is.

I don't make the rules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Animation_Studios_films

"Disney Animated Classics" are the movies that were made by Disney Animation Studios. As noted, there are some slight differences between the US and UK lists. The status as an Animated Classic is not related to the actual or perceived quality of the film. Also, not related in any way to blu-ray availability.

And again, it *was* animated by the actual Disney Studios in France. Same one that helped animate Tarzan and Notre Dame. It's omission is baffling.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A Goofy Movie breh, as referenced in my first response to stump. It's seriously a hidden gem of the mainline 90's movies, definitely in my top 5 of that era. It was directed by Kevin Lima, who went on to helm Tarzan and Enchanted. Currently I believe he might be at Dreamworks on an unannounced project. Looking a little deeper into the film, it looks like much of the pre-production was done in the Burbank Studio before being animated in Disney France, on top of some additional work handled by their Sydney studio as well.

Oh yeah. That's a pretty good one. Its omission is a bit odd.

Fox Mulder

It's such a shame. There isn't even a widescreen version of the film in existence for the US. A cropped, 15 year old DVD is all there is.

there was a rumor of a double feature bluray for the goofy movie and sequel this year, but it's obviously not coming soon, so who knows with Disney these days.

Cheerilee

animated by the Paris, France wing of the Disney studios

animated by the actual Disney Studios in France

The prestige of Disney titles is typically reserved for anything made by WDAS, the California-based studio, regardless of how "real" other Disney studios are, or the quality involved in other films, or missing from certain WDAS films.

"A Goofy Movie" was made by Walt Disney Animation France, and assisted by Walt Disney Animation Australia (aka DisneyToon), but DisneyToon is the poster child for "does not count" because through the entire Eisner era they were under orders to produce massive amounts of "safe" profits by making direct-to-video cookie-cutter sequels under terrible working conditions.

WDAS survived the Eisner era mostly intact, so Disney was able to make sense of it's own history by dividing and compartmentalizing it. WDAS is the "real Disney", Pixar is Pixar, everything else is "almost Disney".

cory64

just got my order in and the simple slipcovers look nice, they have a subtle foil look too. Going to order a few more before the sale ends.

just noticed how UK bluray cases are a little thicker and more sturdy feeling than the ones used for US releases too.

That Aladdin is ridiculously off-model

cory64

The silver with the window is way better than the gold. Will this be the first 60s/70s one to use a master that's not from 2005? Probably not.

Christopher

The silver with the window is way better than the gold. Will this be the first 60s/70s one to use a master that's not from 2005? Probably not.

The blu Ray has been out in the UK for months now. It seems like a just an upscaled platinum edition title.

Fox Mulder

just bought Bambi, Peter Pan, Lady & the Tramp, and Fantasia from amazon uk for $63. Sounds good for 4 vaulted US titles. They also have a bunch of titles coming out next week.

Over 2 years ago actually. This could be different.

if it were a new transfer, we probably would have heard by now right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Blu-Ray.com forum poster reporting Studio Ghibli's Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Tales from Earthsea releasing Feb 3, 2015 from Disney.

Since someone will ask (US released dated):
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke

My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
When Marnie Was There

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Blu-Ray.com forum poster reporting Studio Ghibli's Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Tales from Earthsea releasing Feb 3, 2015 from Disney.

That's crazy if true. 3 Ghibli films in November, 3 in February, plus probably 3 more (Spirited Away, Yamadas, Cat Returns) in late summer to wrap things up (they're not gonna do Only Yesterday or Ocean Waves, and they didn't bother doing Kaguya and it doesn't look like they're going to do Marnie either).

I find it very hard to believe given Disney's dreadfully slow release schedule, even though it is listed on WalMart's website...

I hope it's true.

cajunator

Banned
I've never seen any of these. So this would be magical.

Avoid Tales from EarthSea. Goro Miyazaki directed it and trust me, its a borefest. I was more than willing to gve it a chance and tried to watch it three times and fell asleep each and every time about 30-45 minutes in. It is really badly paced.

overcast

Avoid Tales from EarthSea. Goro Miyazaki directed it and trust me, its a borefest. I was more than willing to gve it a chance and tried to watch it three times and fell asleep each and every time about 30-45 minutes in. It is really badly paced.
Haven't even heard of Pom Poko. How's that?

omgkitty

That's crazy if true. 3 Ghibli films in November, 3 in February, plus probably 3 more (Spirited Away, Yamadas, Cat Returns) in late summer to wrap things up (they're not gonna do Only Yesterday or Ocean Waves, and they didn't bother doing Kaguya and it doesn't look like they're going to do Marnie either).

I find it very hard to believe given Disney's dreadfully slow release schedule, even though it is listed on WalMart's website...

I hope it's true.

I would assume G-Kids will do Marnie and Kaguya. Castle of Cagliostro is being released by Discotek early next year too. It's really a shame that Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves will never be released over here. I really enjoy both of those, but unfortunately Disney only cares about money now even though they're one of the biggest companies in the world.

Raccoon balls

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've never seen any of these. So this would be magical.

Porco Rosso is one of Ghibli's best films. A must watch.

Anthropomorphic tanuki's and their gigantic shape shifting scrotums.

I would assume G-Kids will do Marnie and Kaguya. Castle of Cagliostro is being released by Discotek early next year too. It's really a shame that Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves will never be released over here. I really enjoy both of those, but unfortunately Disney only cares about money now even though they're one of the biggest companies in the world.

G-Kids did Kaguya already and it's looking like they're going to handle Marnie as well, so it looks like when all is said and done, the only Ghibli blus we'll be lacking in the US will be Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. I guess we'll just have to import those two.

Top Bottom