• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

VGChampion said:
Just goes to show Pixar's level of quality. Inc is 10 years old which is crazy. Still blows me away that Toy Story is 16 years old.

I agree! I thought some of Pixar's artistic decisions when working with the limitations of their time were quite smart. It still looked very good.

Toy Story really only shows its age in the environments and backgrounds. The character models themselves are still fantastic. I wish we could see character-only comparisons of the models in 1, 2, and 3.

isny

napkin dispenser
FlightOfHeaven said:
I agree! I thought some of Pixar's artistic decisions when working with the limitations of their time were quite smart. It still looked very good.

Toy Story really only shows its age in the environments and backgrounds. The character models themselves are still fantastic. I wish we could see character-only comparisons of the models in 1, 2, and 3.

They do in fact show the comparisons of the models in one of the special features on the TS3 BR.

isny

napkin dispenser
AbsoluteZero said:
Is this on the DVD too? Tempted to pick it up just for that.

Not sure, I only remember them talking about the models for a good few minutes and showing the process of upgrading the original ones, comparison shots, etc.

I'll have a look when I get a chance and try to figure out what special feature has this in it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So that Target deal for Tron Legacy? It works, even though the ad states they can't be stacked

Wario64 said:
So that Target deal for Tron Legacy? It works, even though the ad states they can't be stacked

I've got 3 Targets around me back home (San Ramon, Livermore, Dublin) so hopefully I can get this deal to stack...

Rather pay this than the $50 on amazon for basically the same thing.

Dead said:
Just gor 650 points for the 5 disc Legacy set O_O

I got the email saying that if you register today, you get double points for Legacy.

markatisu

Wario64 said:

Yes, at least till someone calls Target Corp and inevitably gets the registers fixed

I used my DMR coupon and bought the 3D Tron and OG Tron together for $31. The receipt says YOU SAVED $33 lol

Also if you use bunny munny (see slickdeals for the pdf) you get another $5 off as long as the register person is not an ass

DJ_Tet

Banned
Yeah I grabbed the 3D version as well. Like was stated if you are going to do this deal I'd do it today as soon as possible. I imagine Target might turn it off at the register tomorrow.

Also, I had to go to two Targets to find the original Tron on bluray, and I grabbed the last copy there. I don't think many of those got shipped, plus you have people who only wanted the original on Blu buying that as well.

MrMan2k3

DJ_Tet said:
Also, I had to go to two Targets to find the original Tron on bluray, and I grabbed the last copy there. I don't think many of those got shipped, plus you have people who only wanted the original on Blu buying that as well.
You'd think that the stores would have been stocked with more copies of the original, seeing how high the DVDs of Tron were selling for online fairly recently. There is obviously demand out there, but the Target I went to only had two copies of the original.

I picked up the 4-disc Tron Legacy and 2-disc Tron at for just under $29 after taxes ($8 combo promo, $5 DMR coupon, $5 Bunny Money, and 5% RedCard discount).

isny

napkin dispenser
Just spoke with Best Buy to update an order I placed that included The Incredibles, but they said I couldn't as it was already being prepared for shipment =D

neorej said:
Yeah, Tangled is def worth it. Although the SKU-situation is totally FUBAR:
- DVD: yeah, you don't want this. Tangled needs to be on BluRay.

Except, y'know, if you don't own a Blu-Ray Player or HDTV, like me.

AbsoluteZero said:
Except that I plan to move into digital distribution whenever I decide to upgrade to a HDTV.
When do you realistically think DD bitrates and sound quality will match Blu Ray?
and hey, there's always digital copy

_dementia said:
When do you realistically think DD bitrates and sound quality will match Blu Ray?
and hey, there's always digital copy

I can't remember the last time I bought a music CD. Amazon MP3 and iTunes have essentially replaced that. I figure eventually the same will happen for movies & tv.

On top of that, I've got a cabinet full of VHS tapes and racks full of DVDs. I don't need any more physical media. The sooner I can move to digital the better.

But at this point in time the only flat-panel TV I own is a 19" model in my bedroom. I can't see the difference between HD and DVD on that set so there's no point in me investing in a Blu-Ray player. I figure by the time the SDTV set I have dies digital distribution on HD films will be mature enough that I'll just move over to that instead.

vazel

Banned
The only HD from DD I've been satisfied with are the ones from the PSN store. Sony does good movie encodes wether on BD or PSN. But I would not want my movie purchases tied to a gaming console also I don't think they have surround sound.

Oozer3993

Just a heads up, Newegg appears to have the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray in stock for $29.99. It was tossed back into the vault awhile ago and has been difficult to find for a couple weeks. It's $49.99 at Amazon right now for comparison, and that's from a 3rd party seller.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I can join DMC before Pinnochio and Fantasia get vaulted. Then I'll be caught up with the classics on blu.

JdFoX187

Banned
Can't wait to take off from work early tomorrow and watch TRON and TRON Legacy back to back. Going to be a nerd feast like no other.

markatisu

Just finished watching the original Tron on Blu-Ray, my god Disney did a lot of work restoring it. I just watched the anniversary dvd last week and this is so much better. Colors, details, and CGI really pop.

Kudos to Disney, the new HD documentary about Tron is good as well.

Now time for Legacy

Went to Target and was almost pissed that I had missed the 4-disc edition of Legacy (they had a good amount of the Tron BDs) but the clerk told me that he had a couple of copies at the register.

Was able to stack the $8, $5 Disney coupon and $5 bunny munny coupon so got them both for $30 with tax.

Already ripped my digital copies of Tangled and Tron Legacy to my phone and am patiently waiting for The Incredibles.

netguy503

Auron_Kale said:
Went to Target and was almost pissed that I had missed the 4-disc edition of Legacy (they had a good amount of the Tron BDs) but the clerk told me that he had a couple of copies at the register.

Was able to stack the $8, $5 Disney coupon and $5 bunny munny coupon so got them both for $30 with tax.

Already ripped my digital copies of Tangled and Tron Legacy to my phone and am patiently waiting for The Incredibles.

links?

Morn

Banned
markatisu said:
Just finished watching the original Tron on Blu-Ray, my god Disney did a lot of work restoring it. I just watched the anniversary dvd last week and this is so much better. Colors, details, and CGI really pop.

Kudos to Disney, the new HD documentary about Tron is good as well.

Now time for Legacy
They did a full color correction on it a year ago as it was originally going to come out in December.

markatisu said:

That's interesting because I always found the anniversary DVD to be very sharp/clean as it is.

isny

napkin dispenser
AbsoluteZero said:
That's interesting because I always found the anniversary DVD to be very sharp/clean as it is.

The Blu Ray of Tron has some of the best PQ I've seen in a movie from the 80's. It's a huge step up from the 20th DVD. This is more in the real world and not the grid scenes though, as those are still better than the 20th DVD, but still grainy due to the way it was shot. (This is probably the best this film will ever look unless they redo the special effects from the grid at some point in the future)

theJwac said:
Wow, hadn't seen that before.

It was amazingly funny.

Watched Tangled with my daughter yesterday. She loved it, but it was a little too long for the under four crowd. We ultimately stopped halfway through and picked it up the next day.

isny

napkin dispenser
Seems there won't be a The Incredibles coupon. All of the Disney coupons have been advertised in local flyers here, but I just received our flyers for next week which only mention "Buy both The Incredibles and Cars combo packs and receive $10 off total".

I'm assuming The Incredibles will have an upgrade coupon instead. I posted the DVD SKU a few pages back, but will post it here again for convenience =)

The Incredibles DVD: 786936244250

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Okay, so I'm sure the whole Pinocchio audio problem was already posted in this board, but I just wanted to let you guys know that buying the Blu ray from Disney directly is a crap shoot because my Blu Ray is missing the dialog. Fun times. I'm going to call tomorrow morning about the exchange program. If you guys are going to buy the movie, do it soon because it's getting vaulted.

isny

napkin dispenser
Jangaroo said:
Okay, so I'm sure the whole Pinocchio audio problem was already posted in this board, but I just wanted to let you guys know that buying the Blu ray from Disney directly is a crap shoot because my Blu Ray is missing the dialog. Fun times. I'm going to call tomorrow morning about the exchange program. If you guys are going to buy the movie, do it soon because it's getting vaulted.

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't think anyone has posted the info here.

Pinocchio Blu Ray Replacement Program

In other news, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered Castle in the Sky on BR from Amazon.co.uk as I doubt we'll see it on BR in North America for awhile. Really looking forward to this =D

wolfgare

isny said:
In other news, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered Castle in the Sky on BR from Amazon.co.uk as I doubt we'll see it on BR in North America for awhile. Really looking forward to this =D
I bought the Japanese BR a while back and it was definitely worth not waiting, for me at least. The transfer is beautifully done and the picture quality is amazing for such an older film. Plus it's one of my favorite Ghibli movies. Hope you enjoy when it arrives!

Dead

well not really...yet
The Japanese Ghibli Blu-rays have english subs right?

Im tempted to import Nausicaa just so I dont own a copy with LaBidoof's name plastered on the cover

isny

napkin dispenser
Anticitizen One said:
Is there anyway to use that $5 off coupon for TRON if I purchase it from Amazon?

Open up a chat window with an Amazon rep and ask. It's YMMV but me and others have had success multiple times with this method.

Dead said:
The Japanese Ghibli Blu-rays have english subs right?

Im tempted to import Nausicaa just so I dont own a copy with LaBidoof's name plastered on the cover

Forget what I had wrote, thought you were mentioning importing Castle in the Sky. Nausicaa does indeed have English subs.

Play-Asia has it for $35, but Amazon.co.uk would probably be a bit cheaper if you have a multi region Blu Ray player.

wolfgare

Yes, all the Japanese Ghibli blurays released have had english subs. Nausicaa and My Neighbors the Yamadas has english dubs, while Castle in the Sky and the Borrower Arrietty (out 6/17) don't. Didn't really matter to me as I always preferred the Japanese audio track w/ english subtitles.

edit: nvm, I was slow typing with my iphone. isny answered, but the Nausicaa linked is the Hong Kong version and doesn't have the english audio track if you still wanted that. The cover is still more slick than the US or UK releases though

isny

napkin dispenser
wolfgare said:
Yes, all the Japanese Ghibli blurays released have had english subs. Nausicaa and My Neighbors the Yamadas has english dubs, while Castle in the Sky and the Borrower Arrietty (out 6/17) don't. Didn't really matter to me as I always preferred the Japanese audio track w/ english subtitles.

From what I've read, the Japanese Blu Ray release of Castle in the Sky should have the English dub, you just have to dig through the Japanese menu to find it.

wolfgare

Thanks! I was seriously looking through the menus for forever trying to find out how to turn on the English audio track; I read somewhere on the internet that there weren't any, so I gave up. Turns out it's in it's own part in the extras, instead of just being in the languages section like the others. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough, still kinda strange though.. Anyways, time for a rewatch tomorrow :p

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Yeah I finally bit the bullet and picked up Fantasia. Disney really knows how to work us completionists. If they really wanted to rake in the sales they should have placed the movie's chronological number on the spine, 1 - 50. Thats the sort of shit that kills OCD folk.

I don't understand Disney's release schedule, normal in England we are a month or so behind with the releases yet we have had Dumbo on BluRay for about a year it seems to make no sense.

My current collection of BluRays is:

Snow White
Sleeping Beauty
Pinochio
Dumbo
Bambi
Bambi 2
Princess and the Frog
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Alice in Wonderland
Beauty and the Beast

Bolt
The Wild

Ratatouille
Cars
Up
Wall E
Monsters Inc
Bugs Life
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3

Enchanted
High School Musical
High School Musical 3
Beverly Hills Chihuahua

I think the only animated ones I don't have are the Tinkerbell films, I'm planning on getting Pirates of the Carribean films via Disney Movie rewards but they don't have them at present.

Jangaroo said:

Wait so on the bluray you hear no dialog but you hear everything else?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait so on the bluray you hear no dialogue but you hear everything else?
Well the problem with the audio that affects certain copies is that there are two lines of dialogue missing from Jiminy Cricket Give a Little Whistle song. It's brief and most people won't notice them being missing but it's still an error that's pretty widespread due to the first printing run having this problem. I bought my copy from Disney's store thinking it'd circumvent the problem but nope, still got the defective copy.

Jangaroo said:
Well the problem with the audio that affects certain copies is that there are two lines of dialogue missing from Jiminy Cricket Give a Little Whistle song. It's brief and most people won't notice them being missing but it's still an error that's pretty widespread due to the first printing run having this problem. I bought my copy from Disney's store thinking it'd circumvent the problem but nope, still got the defective copy.
Hmm, I got it the day it came out. I guess I should check mine, I haven't watched it again yet. Is the dvd supposed to be messed up also or just the bluray?

isny

napkin dispenser
moop2000 said:
When's the Incredibles release? and any word on Nemo. I'm aching hard for the Nemo release.

Tuesday. And no news on Nemo. It will probably be pushed back to 2012 at this rate. (If they still expect to release Dumbo, The Lion King, The Fox and the Hound, etc. this year still)

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Hmm, I got it the day it came out. I guess I should check mine, I haven't watched it again yet. Is the dvd supposed to be messed up also or just the bluray?

Both the DVD and Blu Ray are affected, but they're only replacing the BR.

I only just checked mine the other day, and sure enough, it needed to be replaced.

I'm definitely weary about sending them the disc first...guess I'll have to send it tracked and make sure to take photos beforehand.

Top Bottom