• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refresh it or go back to the main page and click the article again. Not really worth your time, though.

While I had already settled on the game being worth whatever I put into it, with dev answers like that I would be worried if I were someone looking to stay with the game for the long haul.

Yeah I just read it.

The fact that the answer to the endgame question was basically "play PVP and replay missions on hard", i'm dubious this will be any different than Destiny. I'll have finished it within a week and then it's a grind after that for a slightly different stat on a gun I already own.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not only does it contain nothing of value, and none of the top comments, but they repeat the same damn question TWICE!

TWICE!

matthieu.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
Well that was horrific. Petter Mannerfelt just managed to bring everyone down like a hole in a balloon. They were some pretty reserved answers.

Se_7_eN

I really wish someone would have asked about character customization.

I am not sure where I saw it, so don't quote me on it... But I have heard, in the game you'll have access to full face customization, whereas you had a reduced feature set in the Beta. As you explore the streets of Manhattan you'll find many different pieces of clothing that allows you to fully customize your appearance. We feel that you should be able to dress and look the way you want at all times, and not have to switch your look just because you find a gear piece with better stats.

Did you guys not expect this? lol this happens all the time. With this crap wish they would stop doing these, without making it clear that they should answer the questions with more words or don't do "Q&A" anymore.

Calcium

Banned
- Petter Mannerfelt, Game Director

I was joking. They answered that question twice.

Did you guys not expect this? lol this happens all the time.

I was hoping they'd take the time to alleviate any concerns from Beta. That pathetic AMA just tells me that they are content with the preorder numbers and don't feel the need to share more information. Not a good foot to start out on.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I am not sure where I saw it, so don't quote me on it. but, I have heard in the game you'll have access to full face customization, whereas you had a reduced feature set in the Beta. As you explore the streets of Manhattan you'll find many different pieces of clothing that allows you to fully customize your appearance. We feel that you should be able to dress and look the way you want at all times, and not have to switch your look just because you find a gear piece with better stats. - Petter Mannerfelt, Game Director

Sounds like bullshit to me, need confirmation!

Pandy

Yes! There is high-end gear, weapon mods and gear mods when you get to the endgame. - Petter Mannerfelt, Game Director
Haven't been following this too closely, but doesn't this imply that there is an end-game of some sort that is a distinct thing, rather than the end-game being to collect high-end gear after the end of the game.

But yeah, that was weak.

EDIT: Changed 'mean' to 'imply', because obviously it doesn't 'mean' jack-shit.

Haven't been following this too closely, but doesn't this mean that there is an end-game of some sort that is a distinct thing, rather than the end-game being to collect high-end gear after the end of the game.

But yeah, that was weak.

I should hope so. Without a reason to WANT to acquire that gear, there's really no point.

In Diablo 3, for example, I still try to improve my character in order to push farther in the greater rifts.

But in this game, I'm not sure what drive there will be for me to keep playing once I reach the max rank in the DZ. The beta kinda gave me a taste of that. I like the DZ in concept but I'm worried about the lasting appeal.

I'm really thinking i should hold off now and wait and see what happens at launch and hope they share their future plans regarding end-game etc.

Destiny burned me hard and i'm not going to fall for that shit again. As much as i'm craving playing more... i want answers first.

In my opinion I feel like they don't have to tell us anything. People really need to stop feeling entitled to everything related to video-games. They've already had a closed and an open-beta. Already responded to our feedback and fixed issues that we mentioned! :)

We all obviously want to know about it but the difference between entitlement and curiousity shines through when a mass-group of gamers go: We demand to hear about this and that!

When going to the movies, you pay for the ticket and nobody tells you if the ending is good or not. Only if the movie is worth your time. So you go and experience it for yourself. Now, if you enjoyed the beta then I bet you'd enjoy the full game as well. =)

In the end game-companies doesn't owe you anything, neither does any of the developers who pours their heart and souls into this project.

So just relax and enjoy whatever information we can get =D

You're wrong.

Calcium

Banned
Shaqfoo33 asks: Will there be any objectives within the Dark Zone?

-We have landmarks that indicate locations with challenging encounters. - Petter Mannerfelt, Game Director

Wait, so the Dark Zone is exactly as it was in the Beta? Just the landmark locations? No missions or events? Yikes, man.

D i Z

In my opinion I feel like they don't have to tell us anything. People really need to stop feeling entitled to everything related to video-games. They've already had a closed and an open-beta. Already responded to our feedback and fixed issues that we mentioned! :)

We all obviously want to know about it but the difference between entitlement and curiousity shines through when a mass-group of gamers go: We demand to hear about this and that!

When going to the movies, you pay for the ticket and nobody tells you if the ending is good or not. Only if the movie is worth your time. So you go and experience it for yourself. Now, if you enjoyed the beta then I bet you'd enjoy the full game as well. =)

In the end game-companies doesn't owe you anything, neither does any of the developers who pours their heart and souls into this project.

So just relax and enjoy whatever information we can get =D

The point of holding an AMA is to answer questions. What are you even....

That made me raise my eyebrows as well. I assumed it would be expanded.
Don't assume anything, first rule to keep you sane.

Either way if there are no exception other objectives other then watch we got in the Beta then the DC they are banking so much on is going to get boring quick.

Unless they are going to give us more still that AMA did not help them.

Pandy

I should hope so. Without a reason to WANT to acquire that gear, there's really no point.

In Diablo 3, for example, I still try to improve my character in order to push farther in the greater rifts.

But in this game, I'm not sure what drive there will be for me to keep playing once I reach the max rank in the DZ. The beta kinda gave me a taste of that. I like the DZ in concept but I'm worried about the lasting appeal.
Destiny burned me HARD on the long-term expectations thing. I've pre-ordered The Division, but in the expectation of having a few fun co-op PvE sessions with a friend or two, not of getting 200 hours of gameplay out of it.

If there's a more substantial end-game and something to keep me playing in the DZ after I've got high-end gear then that'll be great, and Ubisoft might actually get some DLC cash out of me.

Actually I'm pretty upset that I didn't preorder the CE. I want that watch. Like, I really want it.

Pre-ordered the CE and then it was taken off the EB Games website the next day. I'll let you know whether the watch was worth it.

I may have committed too much to this IP. I've also got the art book pre-ordered, New York collapse is on its way and just ordered my EyeX/Sentry.

You're wrong.

Not to mention using the worst analogies possible. The Division has a gameplay loop that's supposed to keep us playing. This isn't a single player narrative that ends with you putting the game away. Both analogies would have to be changed to include the part where you go back and re-read/watch just the ending over and over again.

Don't assume anything, first rule to keep you sane.

It wasn't so much a negative response on my part. I just remember the quotes floating around here regarding DZ events, etc. I was surprised he didn't use this time to expand on that.

Although, it does look like a very vanilla AMA - they may not have wanted to get into anything new here.

Tratorn

Smh at that "AMA".

Practically everything was known and this doesn't sound good at all:

ray2608 asks: The Division is often compared to Destiny. In my opinion Destiny suffered from doing the same missions /strikes over and over again. What are you going to do to keep players entertained and feel rewarded for the amount of hours they are playing?

One of the best things about the Darkzone is just how unpredictable it is. Human behavior is never the same twice and that keeps the Darkzone experience fresh. For the missions outside the Darkzone we offer several difficulty modes (something you haven't seen in the Beta) with varying rewards. And, finally, we are naturally looking to continuously add fresh content for players to tackle. - Magnus Jansen, Creative Director

There doesn't seem to be anything else besides what is already known.

Destiny burned me HARD on the long-term expectations thing. I've pre-ordered The Division, but in the expectation of having a few fun co-op PvE sessions with a friend or two, not of getting 200 hours of gameplay out of it.

I'm not all that familiar with the game but doesn't Destiny actually have a dedicated PvP mode though? So you can take that gear and go fight a team of people with said gear?

Klyka

Banned
Smh at that "AMA".

Practically everything was known and this doesn't sound good at all:

How does that not sound good at all?

I mean,there's not really a lot you can do to keep "things fresh".
He is absolutely right that the DZ adds unpredictability, which means it'll stay "fresh" through human interaction. It's not Destiny's faceless PvP modes.

And with the missions, how can you keep stuff like that fresh? Once you do it a couple of times, you'll know what's what.

Calcium

Banned

Crushing disappointment. Damn it, Massive.

tumblr_n41sfbbm7p1ty8p83o1_250.gif

How does that not sound good at all?

I mean,there's not really a lot you can do to keep "things fresh".

Adding quests and public events to the Dark Zone would have been enough for me, honestly. I spent 3-4 minutes at a time in Beta just walking down empty streets. Not sure if I want to experience that for hours on end.

I'm not all that familiar with the game but doesn't Destiny actually have a dedicated PvP mode though? So you can take that gear and go fight a team of people with said gear?

It scales your weapon damage for balancing in PvP, or at least it did at release, and everyone has the same shields/hp iirc

It wasn't so much a negative response on my part. I just remember the quotes floating around here regarding DZ events, etc. I was surprised he didn't use this time to expand on that.

Although, it does look like a very vanilla AMA - they may not have wanted to get into anything new here.

Let's all hope so for their sake.

Got that Massive!

Klyka

Banned
Crushing disappointment. Damn it, Massive.

tumblr_n41sfbbm7p1ty8p83o1_250.gif

Adding quests and public events to the Dark Zone would have been enough for me, honestly. I spent 3-4 minutes at a time in Beta just walking down empty streets. Not sure if I want to experience that for hours on end.

but we already know there will be missions in the Dark Zone.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Will there be any objectives within the Dark Zone?

We have landmarks that indicate locations with challenging encounters. - Petter Mannerfelt, Game Director

bummer.

Calcium

Banned
This is likely IGN's fault more than Massive's

Probably, but the dude answering the questions should have recognized that he didn't answer a damn thing and took it upon himself to seek out better questions. This just comes off as lazy or at worst a tight lipped approach to ensure they don't lose preorders.

but we already know there will be missions in the Dark Zone.

Do we? The game director just said there were points of interest like in the Beta. He didn't feel the need to elaborate.

TheRyanx2

Neo Member
So the Gold Edition might be back in stock on the Best Buy website. The shipping icon stopped saying "coming soon" and the pre-order button is back. However, on the website clicking on Pre-Order doesn't actually work. In the app I was able to actually add it to my cart and almost completed the checkout before it screwed up and emptied it. Hopefully this is a good sign that it will be back in stock shortly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom