• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

NPBBjE9.gif

So I am trying to figure out how much of Brooklyn will actually be in The Division and I came across something interesting.
Apparently Massive included a little Easter egg inside their closed beta info. Many people already felt that 7,184,867,422 doors closed seemed way to much for the beta. So someone entered the number in Google Maps and the number brings up the Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

What I'm basically wondering now is though, why that brewery? Williamsburg is connected to Manhattan by a bridge, but it connects to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and the Manhattan area of The Division ends at Stuyvesant so it ends a little short to connect to it.

Thus far all footage in trailers of The Division showing Brooklyn were of the DUMBO area. If Williamsburg is actually in the game then I imagine the in between neighborhoods are also in The Division's Brooklyn, that would mean that it's a pretty big area. I have a hard time believing that the Brooklyn area would be that much bigger than Dumbo alone. So for now I'm thinking it was just a random Easter egg to hint at the inclusion of Brooklyn and nothing more. I'm curious what you guys make of this.

Tovarisc

So I am trying to figure out how much of Brooklyn will actually be in The Division and I came across something interesting.
Apparently Massive included a little Easter egg inside their closed beta info. Many people already felt that 7,184,867,422 doors closed seemed way to much for the beta. So someone entered the number in Google Maps and the number brings up the Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

What I'm basically wondering now is though, why that brewery? Williamsburg is connected to Manhattan by a bridge, but it connects to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and the Manhattan area of The Division ends at Stuyvesant so it ends a little short to connect to it.

Thus far all footage in trailers of The Division showing Brooklyn were of the DUMBO area. If Williamsburg is actually in the game then I imagine the in between neighborhoods are also in The Division's Brooklyn, that would mean that it's a pretty big area. I have a hard time believing that the Brooklyn area would be that much bigger than Dumbo alone. So for now I'm thinking it was just a random Easter egg to hint at the inclusion of Brooklyn and nothing more. I'm curious what you guys make of this.

Isn't this Williamsburg Bridge?

Tovarisc

No that's DUMBO, Brooklyn. What you see there is the Manhattan Bridge.
The area you see there is actually very close to what you see during the ending of the E3 2013 trailer. DUMBO is a very small neighborhood.

Bolded, you are right. My bad, I did some fast and apparently shoddy google work with that bridge pic :D And added in plausibility of artistic vision.

What are you trying to pull Massive?

Shoddy google work combined with not being local apparently :b

So, last night I was drunk when my sony credit card points came in giving me $60 worth of credit on the sony store... Drunk me used it to preorder the digital standard version...sober me wants to upgrade to the gold version but it doesn't seem possible on sony's shitty website.. Am I screwed?

anyone ? =[

Bolded, you are right. My bad, I did some fast and apparently shoddy google work with that bridge pic :D And added in plausibility of artistic vision.

Shoddy google work combined with not being local apparently :b
I guess we get some piece of Brooklyn hope it's not just the dumbo area and if not we re visit some day with a bigger slice. I'm more then sure they pretty much have all of New York more or less in other older builds. But the game shifted and we get this.

Haha, both these pictures are really nice.

I guess we get some piece of Brooklyn hope it's not just the dumbo area and if not we re visit some day with a bigger slice. I'm more then sure they pretty much have all of New York more or less in other older builds. But the game shifted and we get this.

I really think that's unlikely. The Division's midtown Manhattan area is roughly the size of FO4's map. Just imagine how big the whole map of NYC would have to be, then also factor in the level of detail Massive has been incorporating into the world. That would really be a massive undertaking. We should consider ourselves lucky if we even get the whole Manhattan area down the line.

Drewfonse

Like you don't understand the mechanics or you don't understand the appeal?

I don't really understand the mechanics of Dark Zone, I guess. Is it just extracting loot and either jacking up or getting jacked up by other players? I'm not really sure what the lure of better loot is in a game like this. I'm really excited to get it, but maybe I need to watch a video on Dark Zone or something, hahaha

Man, I caved and cancelled my BB order and used the PSN promo ($100 gives you $15 credit) just so I can play right away when the servers open. Plus, BB has given me some headaches as of late with their shipping and a potential delay set me over.

Man, I caved and cancelled my BB order and used the PSN promo ($100 gives you $15 credit) just so I can play right away when the servers open. Plus, BB has given me some headaches as of late with their shipping and a potential delay set me over.

I really think going digital for this type of game is the best thing to do. Unless you think there is a reasonable chance that you won't enjoy it.

I want to be able to put that on my outfit in The Division. I want to do this so badly.

I think I've seen a Massive employee talk about custom emblems on reddit once. But I'm also pretty sure there isn't going to be clan support for now. Who knows, perhaps one day in the future.

Haha, both these pictures are really nice.

I really think that's unlikely. The Division's midtown Manhattan area is roughly the size of FO4's map. Just imagine how big the whole map of NYC would have to be, then also factor in the level of detail Massive has been incorporating into the world. That would really be a massive undertaking. We should consider ourselves lucky if we even get the whole Manhattan area down the line.

No I actually think they did at some point, maybe not to the extreme detail as a final product but in some form. They had some very interesting tools in the snow engine to help them along, with creating buildings and making the process easier.

Either way I did say "More or less" maybe not the whole tri state area but at least lower Manhattan and some of upper Manhattan and more parts of Brooklyn within a structured frame. Because those were all real assets in the E3 demo as controlled as it was.

I really think going digital for this type of game is the best thing to do. Unless you think there is a reasonable chance that you won't enjoy it.

I think I've seen a Massive employee talk about custom emblems on reddit once. But I'm also pretty sure there isn't going to be clan support for now. Who knows, perhaps one day in the future.

Yeah, the only thing that always keeps me wary of digital, besides sweet collectibles (which physical gold didn't have), is if god forbid your account is banned/locked/forgotten, etc.

But, with an always online game like this where everything is attached to your account anyway, doesn't really seem to make a difference.

Gryph

I don't really understand the mechanics of Dark Zone, I guess. Is it just extracting loot and either jacking up or getting jacked up by other players? I'm not really sure what the lure of better loot is in a game like this. I'm really excited to get it, but maybe I need to watch a video on Dark Zone or something, hahaha

Gotcha. It's basically a PVE arena with the threat of PVP.

So you and some friends, or you solo if you're brave harvest loot from chests and baddies. There will be areas and named special characters around the zone who hold keys for special loot chests. You'll go and collect that loot to improve your stats / get cool hats.

The PVP part is the constant threat of other players rolling in and taking some of your stuff in a firefight or your friend deciding that they want that hat they heard you say you got and stabbing you in the back as the chopper comes down.

It might not be your bag but it does add a level of interesting tension to the zone. Especially as a solo player it makes you scared of all the other PCs.

Oh my god. Please let this be our clan badge...

No I actually think they did at some point, maybe not to the extreme detail as a final product but in some form. They had some very interesting tools in the snow engine to help them along. Either way I did say "More or less" maybe not the whole tri state area but at least lower Manhattan and some of upper Manhattan and more parts of Brooklyn within a structured frame. Because those were all real assets in the E3 demo as controlled as it was.

We'll see. I wouldn't mind more boroughs at all. But I think the midtown Manhattan area we are getting is more than enough, especially if they also include a good portion of Brooklyn (something I'm not so sure off). If they have far more parts of NYC finished and they somehow include it in the season pass or the free updates then I would be pleasantly surprised. I'm not expecting that however.

Drewfonse

Gotcha. It's basically a PVE arena with the threat of PVP.

So you and some friends, or you solo if you're brave harvest loot from chests and baddies. There will be areas and named special characters around the zone who hold keys for special loot chests. You'll go and collect that loot to improve your stats / get cool hats.

The PVP part is the constant threat of other players rolling in and taking some of your stuff in a firefight or your friend deciding that they want that hat they heard you say you got and stabbing you in the back as the chopper comes down.

It might not be your bag but it does add a level of interesting tension to the zone. Especially as a solo player it makes you scared of all the other PCs.

Oh my god. Please let this be our clan badge...

Very cool. OK, that makes sense. Thanks for that.

Is there matchmaking in Dark Zone?

We'll see. I wouldn't mind more boroughs at all. But I think the midtown Manhattan area we are getting is more than enough, especially if they also include a good portion of Brooklyn (something I'm not so sure off). If they have far more parts of NYC finished and they somehow include it in the season pass or the free updates then I would be pleasantly surprised. I'm not expecting that however.

Me neither and i understand expectations. An like you I think it would be awesome to get more. Though i'm realistic on the prospect regardless. Even after my post, just talking in a general sense.

Although, in relation to the bridge, they have or had both bridges built and rendered. As one of them was a playable piece of some sort a year or two years ago from one of the trailers, with two characters roaming through it. It was pretty quick but it was there, weird to cut that stuff because it was high detail and had all of the hallmarks.

Gryph

Very cool. OK, that makes sense. Thanks for that.

Is there matchmaking in Dark Zone?

There's optional matchmaking. It won't auto put you in a group, but you should be able to search for other players who want to play in the DZ from the matchmaking system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom