• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else get really motion sick as soon as they started playing?

This game runs at 30fps right? Also I think it may be how the HUD is attached to my body and not anchored on screen.

I played for maybe 5 minutes and wanted to vomit so badly.
Turn on auto-hide hud. Takes the hud off until you actually need it.

Try to wait until there are groups of people acting cool with each other to extract. Your odds of getting it out of there are much higher. You can even use the chopper they call, unless the hook is loaded down already.

This is what I've done. Full solo.

The only time I've been totally wrecked is when I went NPC killing next to a small group. They waited for me to loot and unloaded on me. Mostly, I hang near the extraction points to down rogues.

It's a little too aimless, though. I don't know how much fun that will be over time. I'm coming to the realization that sandbox games just aren't for me.

Does anyone know if the full game has PvP modes in addition to the Dark Zone wanderings?

Played the beta now for a while and man is this game boring and shallow.

I dont know the gunplay really doesnt feel exciting its more of a snooze fest. And its even worse that you have to run through this world without any vehicles.

Maybe Wildlands will do a better job.

Arrrammis

Lost died in a 20 minute manhunt with a team of 4... Man, the library is just an awesome holdout spot. 3 ropes to get up, so you need to have a person posted on each, and then one guy running around. We finally lost when 11 people decided to just bum rush up two of the ropes at the same time, but we still took a few with us. Also, I found out that turrets are really effective in alleyways, even if they don't do that much damage, they still throw off peoples aim and make them panic.

ironcreed

Banned
Another thing I learned fast is that running around with a low health bar is an invitation for that 'friendly' to unload on you without notice for easy pickings. But that works both ways, of course.

EDIT: That is just stating the obvious. What I mean is that running around without health kits and low health just makes you a walking target. There is so much tension just to find another kit, rather than more loot.

Costia

Is there access to the stash from the DZ?
All the extracted items go there, but i cant access them unless i go back to base, and then have to walk all the way back?
Just got 6 contaminated items destroyed because the stash was full, but i found no way to empty it without leaving the DZ, which destroyed all of the contaminated items that i had on me.

Matush

I still cant believe how a open world game that is not even out yet looks so bad. Ubidowngrade ftw.

It looks bad even compared to last-gen GTA 5.

And it is really repetitive.

I pass, have fun with it everyone.
Try using these next time:

gou7q.png

Kane1345

This game runs at 30fps right? Also I think it may be how the HUD is attached to my body and not anchored on screen.

Me and my gf are quite sensitive to that stuff but neither one of us experienced that luckily. Sorry man

Hxs

Neo Member
Is there access to the stash from the DZ?
All the extracted items go there, but i cant access them unless i go back to base, and then have to walk all the way back?
Just got 6 contaminated items destroyed because the stash was full, but i found no way to empty it without leaving the DZ, which destroyed all of the contaminated items that i had on me.

I believe you can access them from the safehouse. I got a tooltip that said so, but I haven't checked for myself.

I don't get the complaints about combat. The starting weapon does suck without any mods but M1A is a thing of beauty.

Once you get competent with grenades and abilities a team can take down enemies like a special forces unit.

Nokterian

Nope also playing on PC no fps cap.

lostzenfound

This is my 2nd round in the beta and I've pretty much expired the content in each. That's a little concerning in terms of how much overall content there might be -- but, I don't want to assume about that.

I will say -- I had a ton of fun each time. I think the game is a HUGE breath of fresh air. There's been very little like it, in setting (in terms of RPG-like games) -- and I just love that. It helps a lot that I live in lower Manhattan and it's just crazy fun to stomp around these neighborhoods and be like -- YO, THAT'S HOME.

Nydus

Played the beta now for a while and man is this game boring and shallow.

I dont know the gunplay really doesnt feel exciting its more of a snooze fest. And its even worse that you have to run through this world without any vehicles.

Maybe Wildlands will do a better job.

Yeah im also not feeling it. I was really addicted to destiny but the Division just wont click with me. The quests are boring, the shooting is meh and the world feels empty/non interactive. I think its mainly the shooting thats bringing it down for me. Destiny had also shit quests and a dead world but holy fuck the shooting felt good.

manhack

I think Destiny soured me on this style of game. It is weird because I can play Diablo 3 for hours and hours, Borderlands 1 and 2 were moderately enjoyable, but this game seems boring.

Maybe too much is locked away that I can't really figure out what people are liking.

On a positive note it looks fine and it had no technical issues, lag or bugs I could identify.

Haven't gotten a chance to load it up yet, but did they fix the stuff that wasn't being stored server-side on PC? Or is it still full of hacking?

Just went into the Dark Zone for the first time. I have no idea what extractions are for. A chopper dropped a rope and people were putting things on it?

Also, how do you rank up in there? I keep finding containers for stuff but I can't open them.

Nydus

Haven't gotten a chance to load it up yet, but did they fix the stuff that wasn't being stored server-side on PC? Or is it still full of hacking?

They coded new anticheat. But i just heard someone saying on liriks stream that he has a speedhacker in his darkzone lol.

hydruxo

Just went into the Dark Zone for the first time. I have no idea what extractions are for. A chopper dropped a rope and people were putting things on it?

Also, how do you rank up in there? I keep finding containers for stuff but I can't open them.

You get loot in the Dark Zone (from AI and/or other players) but it's contaminated, so you have to extract it in order for it to be decontaminated for you to actually use.

You can rank up by taking out rogues, killing AI, going rogue and killing players, etc.

Nydus

Loot from the dz needs to be flown out before u can use it, because its contaminated and needs to be cleaned...or something like that.

So I was playing last night. I was looking down a street at night and as the sun rose, you could see the sun light coming down the street as the soon got higher. I was pretty awesome.

As soon as I pick up a worth while drop I get dead. I haven't had the chance to extracted.

Most of time in the DZ is exploring and using hit and run tactics on mobs to get XP.

But good advice nonetheless. I'll try to find someone people to play with.

When somebody starts an extraction, run to other side of the map and start one for yourself lol.

TitusTroy

I thought they said they were going to add more NPC enemies in the Dark Zone for the open beta?...I don't see any difference...it gets boring constantly running around with nothing to do except kill the same group of respawning NPC's...plus with less people going Rogue it makes the Dark Zone boring at times

Okay, typed this up real quick for people in here asking. Apologies for any spelling issues or weird info. Tried to make it accessible.

What is it?

Dark Zone ("DZ") is a PVPVE area (Player versus Player versus Environment).

It houses some of the toughest bosses/mobs and best loot in the game.

Loot

If you look at your inventory, you'll see that there is a "0/6," or some equivalent" with a radioactive symbol next to it. This is your container for loot in the DZ. Loot that is gathered here is "contaminated" and needs to be cleaned.

The ONLY way to get loot out of the DZ is to extract it via a helicopter, which you can call, at an extraction point. Whether you call it or not, you can put your items on the rope and it will take the times out of the DZ and into your stash at base, rendering them safe.

Please note, when an extraction is called, EVERYONE on the map knows and, well, some people want to use it too and others want to ruin your day.

What do you mean my loot is safe?

In the DZ, you're running around with 23 (not sure if this is 100% confirmed) other people. Some people may be friendly and help you fight tough mobs, but other people want to ruin your day.

In the DZ, when you are killed, by player or enemy, you DROP A PORTION OF YOUR LOOT (nooooooo) [PSA: some of the loot you drop is 'private' meaning only you can loot it back]]. Thus, getting your loot out of the DZ is super important!

What is Rogue?
When a player hits another player, that player goes "Rogue" meaning they are now a 'bad person.' This is denoted by a red looking skull above a players head (You will also note a number next to the skull which is a countdown to when they are no longer rogue).

As a player kills more people as a rogue, their bounty increases (think stars in GTA), meaning that the reward on their head is getting higher and the distance at which people can see them on the map increases.

When a player reaches level 5 bounty, it becomes a "Manhunt." A manhunt means that a rogue player is visible on the map at all times and has a very large bounty on their heads. Manhunt rogues will also drop at least 5 of their items in their satchel.

If you are in a group and one player goes rogue, you all go rogue.

killing a rogue player will net you some sweet currency depending on their bounty level. If you go rogue and survive, you yourself collect the bounty on your head.

So what do I do here?

In the BETA, the DZ is very, very truncated and there aren't any events or possible missions in here.

Still, there is A LOT to explore for yourself. The game doesn't want to hand you the location of everything. There are containers in the DZ that can be opened normally or with DZ keys which can drop from mobs or players.

There are tough elites hidden on the map (check the top left of the map in an overrun checkpoint :) ) who drop great loot. As you play and kill stuff/people, you will gain DZ currency which can be used at the DZ vendor in the entrance of the map or in the DZ Safehouse to buy great gear. CHECK THE SEWER SYSTEM!!!

Final Note

People, you need to understand how small and closed the DZ is in the beta. Upon release, the DZ is broken into segments (e.g. 8-12,15-18, etc.) where tough baddies, and maybe rogues, will be hiding.

The DZ itself has progression via finding and killing harder elites, doing events, and finding hidden secrets in the DZ.

Exploration is a HUGE part of the DZ, but you can't really experience that in the beta. Out with your buddies and get creamed by a LMB boss in DZ05? Come back a few days later to tackle him together.

irishcow

So I just played the beta on my PC at 60fps and on PS4. Obviously I want to play on PC but I'm worried about the player numbers. I ended up double dipping on Battlefront because of that.

Those of you with gaming PC's and PS4, what is your plan?

Chocobro

Anyone wants to play together on the PC? I already played the closed beta, figured I would hang out with some GAFers while playing through the PvE stuff in the open beta.

Uplay: ChocobroBread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom