• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quazar

=( Dark Zone NPCs feel way more bullet spongy now. I am not having good time on my own; constantly killed by rogues and can barely do damage to NPC. I'm using a 3900 dps assault rifle too ;/ I can't get past level 9 because I keep leveling down from dying.

Team up with people?

Kadin

Pretty much me in this game.

AbT4Oar.gif
And here I thought I was the only one doing that. I still think it's a legit tactic but w/e.

SZips

does anyone else have issues with the audio? (PC)
There's a constant echo/reverb on all sound effects, regardless of whether I am inside our outside, everything sounds super echo-y. (speaker-options do not change anything)
Playing on headphones and it's super annoying - had this issue since alpha :/

Yup, I have this problem. In fact, another person I was playing this with yesterday had the same problem. So out of the three of us in our group, at least two of us had this horrible reverb-like sound all the damn time. The third said he seems to have had it as well but not to the degree that me and the first guy said we had it.

Changing the audio settings did jack squat. I didn't have this in the first alpha and I don't have it in any other game. I really hope it gets sorted though because it doens't seem like everyone is affected by it.

They really need to work on spawn poins for enemies. Finished missing person quest only to be greeted by like 7 enemies
in a situation where my only way is a ladder... with no cover, no vantage point. literally impossible situation...

LQX

I like it but I feel like the controls are overly complicated on PC when using keyboard and mouse. Jump, and cover could be on the same key rather than separate. Sometimes less is better. Also I find things to be small. I damn near have to sometimes squint to take out a target.

So I just played the beta on my PC at 60fps and on PS4. Obviously I want to play on PC but I'm worried about the player numbers. I ended up double dipping on Battlefront because of that.

Those of you with gaming PC's and PS4, what is your plan?

I still don't know. I want to go with the bigger community but PC probably feels better.

ryanofcall

=( Dark Zone NPCs feel way more bullet spongy now. I am not having good time on my own; constantly killed by rogues and can barely do damage to NPC. I'm using a 3900 dps assault rifle too ;/ I can't get past level 9 because I keep leveling down from dying.

Well they said they'll buff them. But yeah, there's really no point now anymore wandering around alone anymore. And yeah people reallymade a pvp warzone out of the dz this time around. Maybe I just got a really bad dz server but I got killed with no items carrying all the time... which was just boring. Sure it will get better with the dz size increasing and adding of events etc.

Swass

Well the beta just convinced me to preorder the PS4 gold edition.. thanks to Best Buy GCU and $10 cert it comes out to just over $70. Can't wait for Match 8th!

Rizific

So I just played the beta on my PC at 60fps and on PS4. Obviously I want to play on PC but I'm worried about the player numbers. I ended up double dipping on Battlefront because of that.

I'm not even getting a solid 60fps and the game defaulted to pretty much medium settings on my 7950, but I'd take that over what a ps4 has to offer. Might even upgrade my gpu for this game, I wasn't happy with the visuals.

Rodelero

It's a beta with two missions and the majority of the skills/talents/perks are locked. I don't think you can fully judge a game on it's lack of variety when you're playing a small slice of what it has to offer.

Obviously the full game will have more to offer, but I think you can see enough to make a reasonable extrapolation. I simply don't believe a few more skills is going to make all the difference. I simply can't believe that having a few more perks (most of which are just percent bonuses to various stats) is going to suddenly make fighting braindead, bullet spongey AI interesting.

In all honesty, a lot of the arguments made like this remind me so much of what people said about Destiny 1.0 before it released.

Why does every road have to have something "to do" or to "care about" on it? This is my growing annoyance with people now where CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT is key. I actually like how Ubisoft seem to let a lot of the environment breathe - there doesn't have to be an enemy, or a chest, or a mission or SOMETHING on every street, around every corner.

Over time I just think it makes travelling through the environment absolutely tedious. Plus, given that the map really isn't that big, once you add up a lot of empty streets, you end up with a pretty empty game. Typically, open world games make travel interesting and/or fast with vehicles and horses, or, in the case of a game like The Witness, by packing them very densely, but The Division does neither.

LProtag

Played a bit this morning on PS4. I can see that if I don't have any friends playing it, it's probably not the best game to get though. Trying to run around the DZ with random people is hard.

My PC can definitely make this bad boy shine, but my inclination is PS4 for the exact reason you mentioned.

However, this game is getting bundled with graphics cards, so that will help the inflate some numbers.

deoee

Obviously the full game will have more to offer, but I think you can see enough to make a reasonable extrapolation. I simply don't believe a few more skills is going to make all the difference. I simply can't believe that having a few more perks (most of which are just percent bonuses to various stats) is going to suddenly make fighting braindead, bullet spongey AI interesting.

Over time I just think it makes travelling through the environment absolutely tedious. Plus, given that the map really isn't that big, once you add up a lot of empty streets, you end up with a pretty empty game. Typically, open world games make travel interesting and/or fast with vehicles and horses, or, in the case of a game like The Witness, by packing them very densely, but The Division does neither.

Were does this "map is not big" stuff come from?

It's big and dense and we've seen like 1/5 to 1/4 of it.

SamuraiX-

Any else having a difficult time with the consumable wheel? I'm playing on PC and the sensitivity just feels broken. I hold down the V key to get a look at my items and it just keeps automatically scrolling to adjacent items after a second or two and most of the time I end up actually using a consumable that I only meant to look at.

Are there any settings I can mess with to fix this?

deoee

Any else having a difficult time with the consumable wheel? I'm playing on PC and the sensitivity just feels broken. I hold down the V key to get a look at my items and it just keeps automatically scrolling to adjacent items after a second or two and most of the time I end up actually using a consumable that I only meant to look at.

Are there any settings I can mess with to fix this?

Having the same issue :-/

Freeman76

Ive been enjoying the missions and sidequests, im a bit nervous about the DZ though it sounds majorly annoying. Almost like getting spawn camped on a pvp server. Hopefully over time they may introduce some more friendly options for those of us that suck at competitive modes.

NuKERxyz

After spending some hours on pc i went to ps4... Its so bad in comparisson if u have a decent PC. Even if the community on PC is smaller I bet this game will have a regular and strong community there, even if it's only 5k it is still enough for me.

Rodelero

Were does this "map is not big" stuff come from?

It's big and dense and we've seen like 1/5 to 1/4 of it.

Big is obviously relative - I think this game is pretty small compared to a lot of open world games in all honesty. It feels big mainly because of the architecture and how slowly you move around it. Dense it is not.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Big is obviously relative - I think this game is pretty small compared to a lot of open world games in all honesty. It feels big mainly because of the architecture and how slowly you move around it. Dense it is not.

List me what games its small compared to.

ironcreed

Banned

But it is only about 22% of the entire map that will be available. Plus the dark zone will be larger as well.

wTOdKLx.jpg

The purple is what is in the beta. The blue is what the full map will be.

https://ar12gaming.com/articles/the-division-closed-beta-only-22-percent-of-full-map

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Compared ti what? Remember we haven't even scratched the surface of both the DZ and the main map, that combined with the scale of the game and the density as well, (tunnels, apartments, rooftops etc.). It's pretty insane.

Freeman76

This is a beta man, do you understand what that means?

Sober

After spending some hours on pc i went to ps4... Its so bad in comparisson if u have a decent PC. Even if the community on PC is smaller I bet this game will have a regular and strong community there, even if it's only 5k it is still enough for me.
The open beta is peaking around 65k, hovering around 55k right now. Even if you only get 1/5 of that in 6 months time I think that's pretty good all things considered. It's like a lite-Day Z in the Dark Zone or so I've been told, so that has to be appealing to a good segment. I mean DayZ right now has over 12k people playing it right now, I don't think there's much worry for The Division's PC population.

Surely you aren't comparing the limited map we're stuck in during the beta with the final full map, right?

Tecnniqe

Banned
The feel when you ambush someone
tumblr_inline_n31mtnM5Vb1rsk5g1.gif

The open beta is peaking around 65k, hovering around 55k right now. Even if you only get 1/5 of that in 6 months time I think that's pretty good all things considered. It's like a lite-Day Z in the Dark Zone or so I've been told, so that has to be appealing to a good segment. I mean DayZ right now has over 12k people playing it right now, I don't think there's much worry for The Division's PC population.

This stat is ONLY STEAM as well so there's at least 100k right now.

This is completely 100% nitpicking... But does anyone else feel bothered by the dialogue?

I can't quite put my finger on why, but meeting the Division Commander, the Doctor, and now the Engineer character, they just comes off as generic hardboil speech.... You know what I mean?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The vendors inventory changes for each different server that you are on, IIRC

Right, for the normal vendors.

The safe zone vendor (high end weapons) never changed inventory in the CB, but Thursday there was the RPK and an AK-47, then it changed to the RPK + Liberator.

I can just check myself.

The feel when you ambush someone
tumblr_inline_n31mtnM5Vb1rsk5g1.gif

This is how I feel when I've gone rogue for a significant amount of time and then change my outfit to throw people off.

Piscus

This is completely 100% nitpicking... But does anyone else feel bothered by the dialogue?

I can't quite put my finger on why, but meeting the Division Commander, the Doctor, and now the Engineer character, they just comes off as generic hardboil speech.... You know what I mean?

That's exactly how I felt. Didn't make me care much for them or their causes, especially as my time with the beta went on.

deoee

Size can be measured. This map is roughly the same size as Fallout 4 and GTA 5 City of Los Santos.

And you have to tell me how this is not dense?
You have environmental storytelling at every corner, you can get into a good amount of buildings and there is a whole underground level to expore. Feels pretty dense and big for me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Size can be measured. This map is roughly the same size as Fallout 4 and GTA 5 City of Los Santos.

And you have to tell me how this is not dense?
You have environmental storytelling at every corner, you can get into a good amount of buildings and there is a whole underground level to expore. Feels pretty dense and big for me.

RYaMEM8.gif

Is this game good? What's the general opinion of everyone?

I played up to the point where it told me about elite enemies at the rooftop and not sure how I feel about it. I don't like slow pace of aiming I miss the enemies everything feels sluggish especially the aiming I find it hard to shoot enemies and miss a lot.

It has a generic feel to it? The enemies look boring to fight and it seems repetitive?

Also WTF at all the overwhelming typical Ubisoft menus and unintuitive time consuming design of them? There's too much of them and way too busy all the time with meters stats numbers on screen. Everything looks so busy it's off putting and not something I want to come Ho e to after work and relax with. It feels like a second job trying to figure stuff out but all Ubisoft games are this way imo.

Examples:
Why is my health and ammo right by my character on screen and not to the side?

Why can't I back out of menus completely with one button? Why do I have to keep pressing back when I'm in menus within menus just to get back to the game?

Why isn't there a help tooltip telling you like in Dark Souls what stuff like skill power and electronics do? I have no idea what these do because the game didn't tell me.

Why when I see a mod i can't just click it in the menu after I pick it up and it should just automatically open up the right place to equip it? Why do I have to open the right place myself where it is and figure out which part of my equipment it belongs to.

It's not a bad game but my main beef is I'm not impressed by the sluggish clunky rainbow six Vegas like shooting mechanics but loved the RPG elements and graphics. Didn't like anything else about it.

That's exactly how I felt. Didn't make me care much for them or their causes, especially as my time with the beta went on.

Like, is it because I haven't been playing modern shooters that's why this stood out for me?

Well unless you count MGSV....

...Maybe that's it, maybe MGSV had skewed my expectations @_@ ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom