• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecnniqe

Banned
MFW killing a 4 man group of Manhunt targets
LaLIoZZ.gif

Their reaction in chat
Q2qdUV7.png

I swear one of the guys threw a bottle at me from a 3rd floor apartment window . 1 shot In his direction made him scamper :)

I often spent slot of my time walking forward but looking high in the sky .

Tovarisc

MFW killing a 4 man group of Manhunt targets
LaLIoZZ.gif

Their reaction in chat
Q2qdUV7.png

Last night when playing with friend we hunted down such team also. Instead of using chat for reactions they came looking for us, and started to harass us over proxy VOIP. Slurs, general harassment etc. like you can expect. We got bored of that so we destroyed their faces again and then survived manhunt, I think only those douches tried to get to us few times during that time :D

I think they wish they just had stuck with chat reactions, and not come begging for more.

G_Berry

Banned
i feel like the dz is gonna be so unfair for people that cant play a lot like some people do
Wut?

This is like saying it's not fair because you don't have enough time to master the guitar or a sport.

Make the time if it's that important to you, if not, or you can't, that's life mang!

bounchfx

Not really. Now that I have played it I am not getting the Destiny comparisons at all. It honestly feels like it's own animal.

Basically, it's an online RPG that just so happens to be a cover shooter set in New York after society has broken down due to an outbreak. All that mixed with an area that allows for your choice of co-op or being a dick in almost a Dark Souls sort of fashion and you can make that choice whenever without having to summon or be summoned to do so. There is really nothing else like it.

Destiny is the first thing that popped into my mind after spending time with the game. "open world" areas with instanced levels/zones within them that you can do solo or in a group, RPG elements, skills that you can use, bullet sponge enemies, and lots of loot. It's military third person destiny.

at least it has dark zone, but we'll see how that holds up over time.
don't get me wrong, I liked destiny, and this seems enjoyable minus some poor usability/ui quirks. I hope they improve it over time because i enjoyed my first run with it, I just question the longevity it will have for me.

Wut?

This is like saying it's not fair because you don't have enough time to master the guitar or a sport.

Make the time if it's that important to you, if not, or you can't, that's life mang!

I'm pretty sure he's questioning the viability of DZ as a whole if you're not able to spend your entire life grinding for the best loot. If you can't really compete, there's no point in playing and it's not fun. That would be like if the person who played Ryu for 300 hours did double damage hadukens. Sure, they might fight better because of practice but you're being double fucked and it's another advantage on top of an already sizable one (playtime/experience). It's the same issue that broke destiny for me. multiplayer in games like this should be about player skill, not just loot. so I feel like the concern is if you can't get decent loot, you're just going to get camped/trolled constantly and it will ruin the experience. Maybe that's how they want the game though, and that's fine. It's just going to turn some people away is all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, there are a few places. Not exactly sure where they are though since I don't remember. I know there are a few in some of the interior spaces you can go into in PvE.

Calling bullshit. Tools are supposed to drop them, but it's up to RNG. There's no guaranteed area to get them from looking around.

ironcreed

Banned
Destiny is the first thing that popped into my mind after spending time with the game. "open world" areas with instanced levels/zones within them that you can do solo or in a group, RPG elements, skills that you can use, bullet sponge enemies, and lots of loot. It's military third person destiny.

at least it has dark zone, but we'll see how that holds up over time.
don't get me wrong, I liked destiny, and this seems enjoyable minus some poor usability/ui quirks. I hope they improve it over time because i enjoyed my first run with it, I just question the longevity it will have for me.

Being online with RPG elements is about as far as I can go when comparing the two. Destiny is fun and plays great for what it is, but at least The Division does not have light levels or any kind of bullshit like that to worry about. And with the DZ it is even more of a completely different beast.

mcfrank

The more I play this, the less I like it. There does not seem to be much depth to it. Nothing in it is as engaging as Devils Lair was in the Destiny beta. AI seems terrible.

IvorB

DPS or "damage per second" takes basically everything into account, including reload Speed and such.

DPS is best used to compare two weapons of exactly the same type.

Like,you can't look at an assault rifle with 3000 DPS and a shotgun with 2500 DPS and say "the assault rifle is better!" because the delivery of their damage is entirely different.

use DPS to compare between the same types and use everything else to compare what you want. SMGs for example have Bonus crit, LMGs have huge magazines, sniper rifles have huge DMG per bullet, etc...

Hmmm... probably best for me to just ignore the DPS number and look at the other weapon stats. I can break out the calculator like I did in Warframe.

T.O.P

Banned
Am i the only one who thinks that the Rogue reset times are wayyyy too low?

Let me explain, at the entrance of a DZ area there's an underground entrance, inside there 4 people that cicle their rogue status, you enter, someone fakes to be non-hostile, you go hunting for other three dude inside and then he shoots you in the back

Since it's a beta i really don't care so i tried going in as many times as possible and each time from death to respawn there was already one of them that went back to non-rogue status

What i'm thinking is, make it harder to become rogue, no one bullet bullshit, they could use some kind of bar that says "bruh stop shooting that guy or you are going rogue" because a lot of times it happened that a dude went into my line of fire while i was shooting an hostile npc and bam, instantly rogue

But also bring up those reset times for Rogue, at least a 300 from the current 90 to make this kind of stuff harder to pull

ironcreed

Banned
The more I play this, the less I like it. There does not seem to be much depth to it. Nothing in it is as engaging as Devils Lair was in the Destiny beta. AI seems terrible.

Some of the more aggressive enemies will bum rush you and flank you from all sides. I am finding it is pretty good for the most part because I constantly have to reposition myself or I'm dead.

Costia

Haven't played destiny. This really reminds me of borderlands, especially the level 25 video.
I hope they will have more enemy and weapon variety because i have seen the same ones in the lvl25 video and and the beta.
The silliness and humor of borderlands is what made it look less like a chore, since the division doesn't have that, i wonder what they will rely on instead.

Wut?
It means that in the long run it will be empty. Not many people can afford to spend the time needed, and the rest will move on to other games.

IvorB

I'm pretty sure he's questioning the viability of DZ as a whole if you're not able to spend your entire life grinding for the best loot. If you can't really compete, there's no point in playing and it's not fun. That would be like if the person who played Ryu for 300 hours did double damage hadukens. Sure, they might fight better because of practice but you're being double fucked and it's another advantage on top of an already sizable one (playtime/experience). It's the same issue that broke destiny for me. multiplayer in games like this should be about player skill, not just loot. so I feel like the concern is if you can't get decent loot, you're just going to get camped/trolled constantly and it will ruin the experience. Maybe that's how they want the game though, and that's fine. It's just going to turn some people away is all.

The way the devs have described it, it seems like running into strangers in the DZ is not supposed to be a frequent occurrence so overgeared players shouldn't be such a major issue. I like the DZ but I do feel they need to dial up the PvE aspect of it a bit more.

jet1911

Being online with RPG elements is about as far as I can go when comparing the two. Destiny is fun and plays great for what it is, but at least The Division does not have light levels or any kind of bullshit like that to worry about. And with the DZ it is even more of a completely different beast.

The Division is also a lot more of an RPG than Destiny. It's almost like Diablo.

bounchfx

The way the devs have described it, it seems like running into strangers in the DZ is not supposed to be a frequent occurrence so overgeared players shouldn't be such a major issue. I like the DZ but I do feel they need to dial up the PvE aspect of it a bit more.

ahh, really? okay. When I played last night i saw 1 pve enemy and maybe 25 players Lol. I kinda figured it was all PVP, I didn't realize the PVE factor was there at all.

IvorB

ahh, really? okay. When I played last night i saw 1 pve enemy and maybe 25 players Lol. I kinda figured it was all PVP, I didn't realize the PVE factor was there at all.

I think the prevailing wisdom is that in the final game the zone will be much bigger and players will be a lot more spread out. So less pressure on evac locations and less running into gank squads. I'm sure I read somewhere they said encountering another player should be a relatively rare event. There are supposed to be lots of PvE enemies there but dialed back for the beta.

Tovarisc

wot?

AI in Destiny is super barebones and barely reacts to what player is doing in other ways than evasion. Running backwards around corners so being OHK'd by player takes 3 seconds instead of 1 doesn't smart AI make. Also you can very easily manipulate AI in Destiny, very quickly one learns how AI pathing changes when you do X during encounter which allows you to manipulate their pathing and action priorities.

Devils Lair is best example of bland AI and games simplistic encounter design to which only raids are somewhat exception because of encounter scales. Even then bosses like Atheon could get annoying because of how its AI works and players may unintentionally manipulate its pathing, and make boss move out of position.

In Division I'm yet to find ways to do such AI manipulations and I have put embarrassing amount of hours into betas. There is certain and obvious behaviors, but AI also seems to actively try attack you. Few AI's pinning you down while another one is running for flank or closer to grenade your ass. Division AI seems to be a lot more aggressive and coordinated in attack against player(s) than Destiny AI.

P.S. People have forgotten about ultimate bulletsponges that are/were Devil's Walker and Discoball itself? Taking those down at intended level and gear takes forever.

Seijuro

Can someone give me some pointers to how I can be the host/party leader so people can join my game? I only find the matchmaking option to join other people's games.

Saganator

I'm pleasantly surprised with this game. The AI isn't perfect, but it's not half bad. I love killing cleaners and shooting grenades out of dudes hands. Glad I went PC, I would hate this game on a console because I'd never be able to pull off the precise shots. Still not sure if I'm going to buy it. It's a fun game, but I'm not sure if it's going to hook me to warrant the $60 price and enviable DLC bullshit.

Last night I killed a guy that seemed to blow up for no reason. I made a video of it to slow it down to see what happened, decided to webm it to share.

Webm

N° 2048

I'm pleasantly surprised with this game. The AI isn't perfect, but it's not half bad. I love killing cleaners and shooting grenades out of dudes hands. Glad I went PC, I would hate this game on a console because I'd never be able to pull off the precise shots. Still not sure if I'm going to buy it. It's a fun game, but I'm not sure if it's going to hook me to warrant the $60 price and enviable DLC bullshit.

Last night I killed a guy that seemed to blow up for no reason. I made a video of it to slow it down to see what happened, decided to webm it to share.

Webm

He was about to throw a nade (grenade icon with circle timer) rofl and you killed him so he dropped it and it blew. Well done.

Saganator

He was about to throw a nade rofl and you killed him so he dropped it and it blew. Well done.

I assumed that's what happened, but when it happened I didn't see the X marker indicating a grenade/tank hit. Now I'm just obsessed with watching the explosion, figured if I was, someone else might be too.

Dynasty8

2nd time playing the beta... It's pretty boring...and this is coming from a guy who loves Borderlands and Destiny.

The game just feels dull. It looks generic, the controls are clunky and the shooting/cover mechanics aren't all that polished. Not digging it at all and I've put in a good 8-10 hours total with and quit friends. Dark Zone was cool for the first couple hours but later got really boring. The concept can work well in other games, I'm just not impressed at all.

Anyone kinda feeling like the launch on PC is going to be a mess?
  • Both betas now I've been unable to connect because of Mike or Delta errors. I can get around that with WTFast, but it's a bit worrying.
  • Told my friends about the game and they all downloaded the beta excitedly, and not one of them can even get the game to launch because of random issues.

The Chef

Been playing coop since the beginning and I have to say this game is really pretty amazing and very fun.
The environments are unreal!

jaaz

I came to the Division after playing Hearts of Stone in WC3. Feels like butta.

Seriously, nothing is as bad as the input lag in The Witcher 3. I just started playing it and can't believe it's so bad in what is supposed to be the game of the year. Haven't noticed any input lag in The Division, but as Bruce is saying, everything's relative!

Smokey

Anyone kinda feeling like the launch on PC is going to be a mess?
  • Both betas now I've been unable to connect because of Mike or Delta errors. I can get around that with WTFast, but it's a bit worrying.
  • Told my friends about the game and they all downloaded the beta excitedly, and not one of them can even get the game to launch because of random issues.

I had the Mike issues on Xbox One. Other than that I haven't had any issues on the PC, Closed or Open beta.

I just want to say, fuck all of the guys dug in that store in the DZ. They come down on top of you like a pack of wolves.

?

N° 2048

uhhhh this game is kinda amazing? Why did people try to sour this experience? It's actually really awesome.

IMO, it's great if you have friends and can be on everyday.

But like Destiny, if I don't play for 2 days I'm completely behind. Which is why I stopped that game.

Really wish Solo was more fun...but eh I realize this is mostly a social game.

Can't say the game is really clicking with me in any meaningful way. This definitely feels more like Destiny and less like an RPG, especially after playing that second story mission a couple of times. That ending section where you have to fight wave after wave of enemies while you have to wait for someone to do something... ugh. Disappointing.

Rodelero

Played the closed beta and sorta enjoyed it, but having to play the same stuff again has killed my enthusiasm entirely. Too much of this game just feels so blatantly mediore. The world which has been constructed in such detail ultimately feels completely empty, populated by repetitive and uninteresting AI, and even more repetitive and uninteresting enemies. On the whole though, it is simply empty. You can run down a road for hundreds of metres past masses of carefully crafted geometry and find literally nothing to do or care about.

The combat itself feels passable at best, and with all the difficulty in the game essentially deriving from armored enemies turning into bullet sponges, it's hard to feel remotely enthused when you're in a gunfight. If not from the shared world side of this game, it would be left in the dust by almost every third and first person shooter on the market. There's just so little variety to the weapons, the enemies, and the encounters. I'd never have imagined myself pining for the scant variety of Destiny's enemies and weapons, but its PVE content has The Divison trumped comfortably.

The game cries out for deeper combat mechanics, and the obvious question is why there are no proper stealth mechanics in the game. The Division would be an infinitely greater game if it took cues from The Last of Us in terms of its combat design. With good AI, scarce ammunition, and proper stealth mechanics, you can make realistic combat work, and you don't need to rely on making bosses into bullet sponges either. Instead, we've got the most run-of-the-mill third person shooter imaginable, set in an open world which is full of emptiness.

The only quality that I find in this game resides in the Dark Zone. There is no denying the excitement of seeing people and not knowing whether they are friend or foe. Yet, there is so little variety, at least in the beta, of things to do in the Dark Zone. The core mechanic of getting loot, and trying to get it out through the extraction zones is great... but neither the way you have to get that loot nor the loot itself is exciting at all. There's a reason that RPG style games tend to use a great deal of fantasy, and it's because getting a slightly better M4 isn't actually exciting.

There's clearly plenty of potential in The Division, and it is undeniably impressive from a technical point of view... but the actual design decisions that have been made here are a complete waste of that potential. I hope the full release brings something new to the table, but right now this feels like it will devolve very quickly into a repetitive loot grind.

ironcreed

Banned

I forget the name of the store, but there is an entrance behind a crashed van and roof entrance from the back, also loaded with guys. I was even in there with two other players up top and they managed to mow all of us down. Can't wait to get like level 9 or 10 with some better gear in the full retail game so I can go back and destroy them.

chixdiggit

I really like this game but being disconnected playing single player sucks. Makes me want to cancel my preorder as it has happened a few times in the middle of a mission.

Rymuth

Game's....okay, I guess?

There's an unbelievable amount of environmental detail but the gameplay's not clicking with me.

vpance

As much as I like the presentation of the game, the encounters in story mode feel pretty dull. I think it would get boring fast. Subway Morgue mission gave me a tiny, tiny flashback to co-op moments in RE5, except with a very simple design and enemy types. But I guess they're kind of limited in that aspect because of the focus on realism. As far as the loot, mods and custom abilities go, they are cool but it's not enough to draw me in.

The gunplay feels good though. And that reverb sound makes me feel like I'm in a Heat shootout everytime, love it.

-VipeR

Banned
Boss★Moogle;195978707 said:
I just started but man this game is ugly. I feel like I'm playing a 360 game. I never though Destiny was much of a looker either but man it looks way better than this.

Is this game running 720p with no AA, cause that' what it looks like. Even the text in the UI is full of jaggies. And even with that the models and textures look awful.

I don't mean to be a downer but I'm just really shocked. I haven't really followed this game since the reveal trailer that looked amazing, but apparently the downgrade is significant.

Go to in-game settings, Visual, put sharpness at 100%, and turn off chromatic aberration.
You're welcome.

The Division is also a lot more of an RPG than Destiny. It's almost like Diablo.

Almost like Diablo... how? I never thought of Diablo while playing the Division Beta, since the loot system seems way different - you use DZ currency (by killing other players and NPCs) to purchase the best gear, and in Diablo you farm extreme Rifts and stuff like that for drops.

hydruxo

Played the closed beta and sorta enjoyed it, but having to play the same stuff again has killed my enthusiasm entirely. Too much of this game just feels so blatantly mediore. The world which has been constructed in such detail ultimately feels completely empty, populated by repetitive and uninteresting AI, and even more repetitive and uninteresting enemies. On the whole though, it is simply empty. You can run down a road for hundreds of metres past masses of carefully crafted geometry and find literally nothing to do or care about.

The combat itself feels passable at best, and with all the difficulty in the game essentially deriving from armored enemies turning into bullet sponges, it's hard to feel remotely enthused when you're in a gunfight. If not from the shared world side of this game, it would be left in the dust by almost every third and first person shooter on the market. There's just so little variety to the weapons, the enemies, and the encounters. I'd never have imagined myself pining for the scant variety of Destiny's enemies and weapons, but its PVE content has The Divison trumped comfortably.

The game cries out for deeper combat mechanics, and the obvious question is why there are no proper stealth mechanics in the game. The Division would be an infinitely greater game if it took cues from The Last of Us in terms of its combat design. With good AI, scarce ammunition, and proper stealth mechanics, you can make realistic combat work, and you don't need to rely on making bosses into bullet sponges either. Instead, we've got the most run-of-the-mill third person shooter imaginable, set in an open world which is full of emptiness.

The only quality that I find in this game resides in the Dark Zone. There is no denying the excitement of seeing people and not knowing whether they are friend or foe. Yet, there is so little variety, at least in the beta, of things to do in the Dark Zone. The core mechanic of getting loot, and trying to get it out through the extraction zones is great... but neither the way you have to get that loot nor the loot itself is exciting at all. There's a reason that RPG style games tend to use a great deal of fantasy, and it's because getting a slightly better M4 isn't actually exciting.

There's clearly plenty of potential in The Division, and it is undeniably impressive from a technical point of view... but the actual design decisions that have been made here are a complete waste of that potential. I hope the full release brings something new to the table, but right now this feels like it will devolve very quickly into a repetitive loot grind.

It's a beta with two missions and the majority of the skills/talents/perks are locked. I don't think you can fully judge a game on it's lack of variety when you're playing a small slice of what it has to offer.

I still cant believe how a open world game that is not even out yet looks so bad. Ubidowngrade ftw.

It looks bad even compared to last-gen GTA 5.

And it is really repetitive.

I pass, have fun with it everyone.

James93

Played a bit more of the beta. The subway mission was fun. All in all i expect it to be a fairly solid game. I don;t think its going to have the legs of a traditional mmo though. ]
I do see a shit storm of people complaining about a lack of content though at launch. If your expecting the scope of a WOW or a similar large mmo you're going to be disappointed.

JohnDrake

I just realized I would have to start from 0. I thought we could use our saves from the previous beta (I knew that was not gonna happen in the main game).

Ehhh, I am not gonna do the level up to 8 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom