• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
I just love the atmosphere in this game.

tomclancysthedivision8lp06.jpg

As for someone who LOVES fog and winter-y atmosphere this game is pure bliss

Heavy storms are so damn gorgeous

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
See now im getting all addicted again with awesome loot but in the end it's completely useless since i can't keep this character anyway, so why am i even playing? :3

Gryph

Is this fun playing single player?

I've been having a lot of fun playing only single player.

Probably not for everyone, but I've been getting a lot out of both the PVE and PVP as a solo player. DarkZone can be a bit of a hassle, but if you're smart you'll be fine .

CREMSteve

Downloaded the open beta last night, played for 20 mins or so and didn't really enjoy it. Too much "stuff" to absorb all at once, I think it overwhelmed me with all of the different systems being thrown at me simultaneously and I was too tired to be bothered with it.

Shut it down and basically assumed I would never play it again.

Then, for whatever reason, I decided to jump on again this morning and give it another go. 4 hours later, I'm hooked.

Really fun game, love the constant push to upgrade your character, your gear and weapons. Really drives things in the right direction.

Probably my favourite element so far is that enemy encounters aren't limited by any "arena"-type borders. If a bunch of high powered dudes show up, I don't need to stay in the area I'm in to engage them. I can motor out of there and traverse back through the level, and those mofos will keep pursuing me.

This allowed me to slowly take out the weaker guys along the way, leaving only the big baddie for last, who I easily dispatched by getting to an area of the level where I was able to climb a ladder (which he cannot do) and easily take him down from afar.

Compare that to unsuccessfully trying to fight him head on in the original area about half a dozen times or so, and this was a great strategy I was kicking myself for not trying earlier.

New abilities are fun too, I love the turret. I'm a turret whore in any game that has them.

I have not yet tried to Dark Zone. Too scared, need a friend. :p

just played the medical and tech missions with a couple dudes, had a blast. i love that MSG level, i kept tellin my teammates to slow the fuck down so i could take in the sights.

squidyj

woo, finally got rank 12 and I can buy a high end weapon I've been saving up for but which one?

Edit: That feeling when you go around to do a circuit and every dark zone chest you find is available and you have tons of keys.
Picked up 7 chests in maybe 15 - 20 minutes.

I've been having a lot of fun playing only single player.

Probably not for everyone, but I've been getting a lot out of both the PVE and PVP as a solo player. DarkZone can be a bit of a hassle, but if you're smart you'll be fine .

I have not yet tried to Dark Zone. Too scared, need a friend. :p

Everyone that's on PC and needs a friend, please add me: Blak_Status

Is there a DivisionGAF yet?

Solo DZ is scary stuff. I feel like you should have more stealth options if you solo. Running into a gang of 4 players as you head to extractions is terrifying. I mash that button and then wait...

I find the opposite as a solo rogue hunting agent. I have an easier time sneaking up on groups as they are distracted by doing group things. There have been times when I have come up behind a group of 2 or 3 rogues distracted by others and wiped them all.

I've killed rogues from a distance without them even having a clue where they are getting hit from. The best is when they get in cover, but are actually still wide open from my position.

I choose my battles carefully and seldom face a group head on. I take my fair share of licks as a solo player, but I have not found it frustrating or punishing. I've managed to DZ lvl 9 solo doing nothing but rogue hunting.

I have a set of loose morals while I hunt. I have run up to rogues that were in their death throws when the timer expired and they returned to neutral. I help them up. If they decide to attack me again, I take them down. If not, we part ways.

I only stalk extraction points when there is repetitive griefing of players trying to extract. I have sat and covered others while they get gear out.

Making my own fun, I guess. I am enjoying it so far.

----------

I'm hoping beyond hope that both PVE and PVP areas have waaaay more NPC enemies in them. Pretty sparse so far.

I rarely play online games and I am so introverted that I have a hard time even interacting with people on line. I'm hoping to get on some GAF lists for grouping, though.

Got a Scarf and a Police M4 that wrecks through stuff in the last hour

This game is goat material <3

Is the scarf supposed to be rare? I have only started playing the beta today (didn't have access to the one before) and got a scarf around the time I reached DZ Level 7. I suppose the fact that I only have one after a few hours of play does say that it is.

Solo DZ is scary stuff. I feel like you should have more stealth options if you solo. Running into a gang of 4 players as you head to extractions is terrifying. I mash that button and then wait...

Yeah, extraction is really nerve-wracking playing solo. I don't get to party up with my friends lately so I found myself playing on Dark Zone solo. Sure, most folks are actually nice enough to revive you when you're downed or even cooperate during the extraction, but getting betrayed even once is enough for you to never trust anybody in the game. I only got betrayed once during the extraction but, man, did that make me so suspicious of everybody afterwards!

Anyway, I'm wondering what your favorite weapons in the game are so far? I still find myself using the Police M4 (I think) as my primary. Also, are the high-end weapons only purchasable from shops or can they be looted too?

ironcreed

Banned
Is the scarf supposed to be rare? I have only started playing the beta today (didn't have access to the one before) and got a scarf around the time I reached DZ Level 7. I suppose the fact that I only have one after a few hours of play does say that it is.

Yeah, extraction is really nerve-wracking playing solo. I don't get to party up with my friends lately so I found myself playing on Dark Zone solo. Sure, most folks are actually nice enough to revive you when you're downed or even cooperate during the extraction, but getting betrayed even once is enough for you to never trust anybody in the game. I only got betrayed once during the extraction but, man, did that make me so suspicious of everybody afterwards!

Anyway, I'm wondering what your favorite weapons in the game are so far? I still find myself using the Police M4 (I think) as my primary. Also, are the high-end weapons only purchasable from shops or can they be looted too?

When playing solo it basically becomes 'the paranoid zone' instead of the Dark Zone. Every person I pass I turn around and make sure they keep on going. There is just a tension there that you don't find anywhere else.

Gryph

Taking a DZ break and walking around the PVE zones. Good lord some of the incidental dialogue from pedestrians/windows is heartbreaking.

Also, WTB lockpicks.

Kabouter

Scarfs don't seem that rare to me, I have like seven. Weapon skins, now those are rare. I've only found one, and it's an ugly one too (light blue).

I use an ACR assault rifle as my primary and an M1A rifle as my secondary weapon. Dunno if the high-end ones can be looted too, I've only seen purple/gold items in dark zone shops. Blues drop all the time though.

Raide

While I don't want encumbrance, I would like to be able to dress lighter and run around much faster. Hell, I would love the option to drop my main guns and pistil around town if it made me run faster!

Kabouter

While I don't want encumbrance, I would like to be able to dress lighter and run around much faster. Hell, I would love the option to drop my main guns and pistil around town if it made me run faster!

Let's be fair, if that was possible, it'd basically be a must in the dark zone.

SJRB

Gold Member
The sheer amount of small details in the game is astounding.

Yup. When I see people post here that the game looks bland I can't help but scratch my head. There's an insane amount of environmental storytelling to be found on almost literally every corner.

Nokterian

Scarfs don't seem that rare to me, I have like seven. Weapon skins, now those are rare. I've only found one, and it's an ugly one too (light blue).

I use an ACR assault rifle as my primary and an M1A rifle as my secondary weapon. Dunno if the high-end ones can be looted too, I've only seen purple/gold items in dark zone shops. Blues drop all the time though.

Hopefully there is a orange skin because dutch pride right? :p

CREMSteve

The black female character with her hair slicked back has a sick bun.

YES. I was just thinking this last night. Wasn't there an online Syphon Filter?
There was and it was quite similar in structure. A little more co-op focused gameplay elements though. The Omega Strain.

is it just me, or is there a weird slight stutter whenever you stop sprinting and the cam pops out? i'm playing on xb1. is it like this on the ps4 version?

Radio

The light blue is horrendous. It makes it look like your gun was painted by a child.

I wish you could sneak up on players and paint their guns.

CREMSteve

I'm still using the M4 I got at the beginning, it's still the best gun I've found in terms of attack rating because it keeps scaling up as I level.

I'm still using the M4 I got at the beginning, it's still the best gun I've found in terms of attack rating because it keeps scaling up as I level.

I've been vocal about this but they need to tweak how a weapon's stats are displayed.

For example, most Autos will seem like they do more DPS than a marksman rifle (DMG per bullet + RPM + Reload speed).

but, the thing is, a marksman can do over 1k damage per bullet and you're going to hit far more accurate with a marksman than a spray weapon that is doing ~300 dmg a bullet. I feel like I am rambling and hopefully I made some sense.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just played for the first time today on PS4. Enjoying the experience but had a few questions.

It seems that there is not much to do in the DZ, is this because of being beta?

Also, the texture loading seems to be really bad while sprinting, is this across the board or unique to the PS4?

Why does the Dark Zone only have enemies that are level 8-9 and it starts you at level 1?

This is kinda ridiculous. Would be nice to have areas that are low level just like the regular PvE areas of the game.

Also it's always very tough even finding enemies to fight in the Dark Zone. I can easily run around for 5-10 minutes without finding an enemy. Also is there anything to do in the Dark Zone other than just finding loot from enemies/chests/hidden areas and extracting it? Doesn't seem there are any missions or the like. Hopefully there are in the full game?

tehbible

I'm currently unable to create a uplay account. Anyone else having this issue?

It says 'account creation unavailable, please try again later.'

Why does the Dark Zone only have enemies that are level 8-9 and it starts you at level 1?

This is kinda ridiculous. Would be nice to have areas that are low level just like the regular PvE areas of the game.

Also it's always very tough even finding enemies to fight in the Dark Zone. I can easily run around for 5-10 minutes without finding an enemy. Also is there anything to do in the Dark Zone other than just finding loot from enemies/chests/hidden areas and extracting it? Doesn't seem there are any missions or the like. Hopefully there are in the full game?

i don't think you're supposed to beeline straight for the dark zone

do a couple missions and side quests to level up

I never came across one in the CB, but I've happened across a blue M1A.

That thing is a game changer.

I think I saw an M1A in my stash from the DZ. I'll take a look and hopefully it's there and it has decent specs. I'll check the ACR too as I also prefer assault rifles as my primary.

I actually haven't been paying much attention to the stuff I got from the DZ until it's time to clear the inventory because it's already full. I know it's the "wrong way" to play the game but I won't be able to save this character for the final game anyway. Haha!

is it just me, or is there a weird slight stutter whenever you stop sprinting and the cam pops out? i'm playing on xb1. is it like this on the ps4 version?

I'm playing on the PS4 and never noticed anything like that.

Group up when going in the Dark Zone.

Don't trust anyone near an Extraction point in the Dark Zone.

Dont' trust anyone in the Dark Zone.

What I do is I deploy a turret a second before I attach my stuff to the rope. So just in case somebody decides to shoot me while I'm doing so, I have some way to protect myself even if it's never guaranteed.

Your DZ level has no direct bearing on their character level. You don't start the DZ at level 1, you start it at level 5 character and DZ level 1. DZ level only influences where you can go in DZ (not really in beta) and the Weapons u can equip

i don't think you're supposed to beeline straight for the dark zone

do a couple missions and side quests to level up

Your character has two separate levels one for the regular PvE area and one for the Dark Zone.

So no matter what level you are from doing the campaign missions and quests you start at 1 when going to the Dark Zone.

Klyka

Banned

That's your dark zone rank. Not your level.
You start as a lvl 4 in camp hudson and can level up to lvl 8.
you need to do stuff outside the DZ to get XP and level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom