• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

RYaMEM8.gif

tumblr_ngjhq26RDl1tmftjeo1_400.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is completely 100% nitpicking... But does anyone else feel bothered by the dialogue?

I can't quite put my finger on why, but meeting the Division Commander, the Doctor, and now the Engineer character, they just comes off as generic hardboil speech.... You know what I mean?
A bit yea, the first quest giver, (at the first base) is pretty funny tho, she's constantly sarcastic and doesn't seem to give two shits, hopefully there will be more npcs like that.

Is this game good? What's the general opinion of everyone?

I think this game is polarizing. Seems that you either love it or you think it's boring and generic.

My biggest gripe is the inventory management and how cluttered it is as well as no organization options. Drives me up a damn wall and it seems that 95% of games have this issue.

Can you still buy the best dark zone loot from vendors, so extractions basically become useless? That was the worst aspect about the closed beta.

deoee

Can you still buy the best dark zone loot from vendors, so extractions basically become useless? That was the worst aspect about the closed beta.

The two yellow weapons seem to be the best yeah but they are way more expensive - but as the devs said 1000x times: The PVE encounters in the DZ are tuned down, loot is not dropping like it would in the full version etc. pp.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Safe zone vendor doesn't change his stock confirmed.

Not sure why an AK-47 variant was in his stock on Thirsday.

Betas have completely turned me around on the game. Hated it after playing at E3. I think it's because the demo was just EXTRACT! STOP THEM OR DONT! and it was really confusing.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The two yellow weapons seem to be the best yeah but they are way more expensive - but as the devs said 1000x times: The PVE encounters in the DZ are tuned down, loot is not dropping like it would in the full version etc. pp.

Yeah, they are good but i'd rather have a SMG and my M1A tbh...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Liberator is GOAT. The RPK is ehh, its gold plating is its best quality.

Costia

This rogue thing is really frustrating.
Went to an extraction point. No rogues around. When everyone were at the rope 3 guys probably detonated some bombs because everyone instantly died. The rogues looted everything and then immediately extracted the loot. So there is no point hunting for them later. The loot is instantly gone.
When I hunt for a rogue and someone runs in front of me - it instantly makes me a rogue. So now everyone around me, who were previously shooting at the rogue are now shooting at me.
Being a rogue alone is just as frustrating.
So it looks like unless you have a group of 4 friends you better stay out of the DZ.

I also wonder if the full game is going to be focused on DZ as much as the beta is. Is there any planned PvE end-game content or is it just the DZ?

SamuraiX-

Whew that is huge and the beta already feels pretty big also love the other roads like going on top of buildings or going underground side alleys etc.

Yeah, taking my time and exploring every corner of the city at a snail's pace has been one of my favorite parts so far. Incredibly immersive atmosphere. The sound quality and dynamic lighting do amazing things for the experience.

Best feeling is to be in a team and plan on how you will kill players. I don't see why too many people would use game chat vs party chat for X1 and PS4.

This rogue thing is really frustrating.
Went to an extraction point. No rogues around. When everyone were at the rope 3 guys probably detonated some bombs because everyone instantly died. The rogues looted everything and then immediately extracted the loot. So there is no point hunting for them later. The loot is instantly gone.
When I hunt for a rogue and someone runs in front of me - it instantly makes me a rogue. So now everyone around me, who were previously shooting at the rogue are now shooting at me.
Being a rogue alone is just as frustrating.
So it looks like unless you have a group of 4 friends you better stay out of the DZ.

I also wonder if the full game is going to be focused on DZ as much as the beta is. Is there any planned PvE end-game content or is it just the DZ?

this is the worstttt

hydruxo

Size can be measured. This map is roughly the same size as Fallout 4 and GTA 5 City of Los Santos.

And you have to tell me how this is not dense?
You have environmental storytelling at every corner, you can get into a good amount of buildings and there is a whole underground level to expore. Feels pretty dense and big for me.

Agreed, not to mention rooftops too. The map is huge.

Sauce please.

Also I am having a much harder time deciding what to buy this for than I should. My best friend, that I primarily play with, doesn't care what we get it on, and we have friends on both consoles. I'm leaning towards Xbox just because I really like the controller, but I hear rumors there will be raids and I get the feeling the game is going to sell more on PS4 and be easier to find a group on PS4.

Mentok

Banned
Last night my buddy and I ventured into the DZ. We ran into two guys and instantly became suspicious.
"Are they hostile?"
"I don't know if we can trust them!"
All of a sudden they responded "Wow, wow, we're friendly!" (surprised the hell out of my buddy and I...we didn't know conversations could be heard) so we partied up.
We ran into a building where these rogue agents tried to jump us, but we wrecked them. Then at the extraction zone these rogues tried to get us, almost did, but then 2 random guys showed up and helped us destroy them. I got more loot dropped from their corpses and left a happy man.
All in all to say, that experience ALONE sold me on the game! The fact that there was this spontaneous narrative, dictated by online players was just so damn entertaining.

Last night my buddy and I ventured into the DZ. We ran into two guys and instantly became suspicious.
"Are they hostile?"
All of a sudden they responded "Wow, wow, we're friendly!" (surprised the hell out of my buddy and I...we didn't know conversations could be heard) so we partied up.
We ran into a building where these rogue agents tried to jump us, but we wrecked them. Then at the extraction zone these rogues tried to get us, almost did, but then 2 random guys showed up and helped us destroy them. I got more loot dropped from their corpses and left a happy man.
All in all to say, that experience ALONE sold me on the game! The fact that there was this spontaneous narrative, dictated by online players was just so damn entertaining.

Yeah.... stuff like that is awesome

Raide

Solo DZ is scary stuff. I feel like you should have more stealth options if you solo. Running into a gang of 4 players as you head to extractions is terrifying. I mash that button and then wait...

Tecnniqe

Banned
"Are they hostile?"

Oh yeah, the DZ can go so many ways. It's usually best with a few rogues around to spice it up cause sometimes its 24 non-hostile just running about killing all the AI before you can even find them
You guys are really fucking up this thread.

gEhnBeE.gif

In a good way i assume

Solo DZ is scary stuff. I feel like you should have more stealth options if you solo. Running into a gang of 4 players as you head to extractions is terrifying. I mash that button and then wait...
Oh man, solo DZ destroying group of Rogues is the best.
SO GOOD

Time to make a female soldier and start all over again!

"Are they hostile?"

Beauty of the DZ....and proximity chat.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Sauce please.

Also I am having a much harder time deciding what to buy this for than I should. My best friend, that I primarily play with, doesn't care what we get it on, and we have friends on both consoles. I'm leaning towards Xbox just because I really like the controller, but I hear rumors there will be raids and I get the feeling the game is going to sell more on PS4 and be easier to find a group on PS4.
This is almost 90% not a feeling anymore and if you look at sale threads nearly all multiplatform games sell more on PS4 simply because of the bigger install base. Unless it's a game exclusive to XB1 or PC one should expect games to sell more on PS4 now.

m@cross

This is completely 100% nitpicking... But does anyone else feel bothered by the dialogue?

I can't quite put my finger on why, but meeting the Division Commander, the Doctor, and now the Engineer character, they just comes off as generic hardboil speech.... You know what I mean?

It is terrible to say the least. If they used a text to speech program to say the lines, they'd probably be similar in impact. I think the only other part of this game that is as bad, is the enemy AI. Why the hell would I care about some ladies daughter with no real backstory, no built up relationship.. just some lady who speaks to me like a waitress at a Mississippi truck stop diner. The echos are almost as bad.. or maybe.. as bad. A bunch of people I have no connection to, in falling flat situations.

I like the game and will likely buy it, but damn it is so bad compared to how good other things are... maybe they'll have an expansion where you can OPEN car doors.

Agree. Its definately scary going in solo. I got destroyed coming out of DZ east by 3 guys just camping and waiting for players to go through.

Raide

Agree. Its definately scary going in solo. I got destroyed coming out of DZ east by 3 guys just camping and waiting for players to go through.

Sometimes I wish there was another option to extract. Say heading back to base and you can only take 1 item through extraction. Even if I am full of greens, it really sucks to die at lower levels because you got ganked. :(

I need to get more brutal!

Gryph

Alright, so I've been playing the DarkZone solo, since I don't have friends, and I just had an encounter that I can't even be mad about.

Normally idiots will gank me while I have no items and just waste my time, but this group was different.

I was trying to avoid all of the nonsense topside and figured I'd see what I could get out of the subways. I headed down, cleared out three chests on the first level and since things seemed quiet, I figured what the hell, lets see if I can clear out the assholes at the bottom level.

It takes me a few minutes but I clear them all out and hit two more chests down there. Then just as I'm about to leave I see two agents come down the stairs, just one second of hesitation and then I bolt but they're on to me. I hop down into the train tracks, dodging their shots, using a med kit to survive.

I listen carefully, I don't hear any footsteps. I think I'm in the clear, so I book it up the opposite stairs, hoping that if I'm quick enough I can throw them off the trail.

I make it to the stairs and there, waiting for me, is the third member of their team. I whip around and try to head back downstairs, but there are the other two blocking my retreat. It was pretty well executed.

I don't even feel bad about losing a full pack of DZ items. Well done nameless gankers.

(Thank goodness there weren't any cool dress up items in there, I would've been heartbroken.)

CREMSteve

Did anyone else try to make their character look exactly like Joel? It just goddamn fits this type of narrative. I'm pretending it takes place in the same world as TLoU.

JohnCYQ

I take it that even when the full game releases, you'll never get the option to play DZ in a non-multiplayer, right? Or rather, the game is pretty much always online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom