• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Jacket is the open beta reward and cap is closed beta. Wearing both on the official stream right now.

WpXBlSy.png

TsuWave

also, if you're rogue and being hunted its always good to draw them to where the npc mobs are, you'll take damage but running past them is usually doable because it takes them like 2 seconds to "!" but whoever's pursuing you will probably get wrecked by them

schlynch

Hm. I played the Beta with a friend and think it was kinda underwhelming. Shooting doesn't feel that good and thanks to all the cover objects (in combination with the space bar function) it plays like some rail-shooter from time to time. No free jumping, no free crouching. Animations look really good but if you sprint from cover to cover and want to interrupt that it just feels clunky and unnatural. Inventory management is a mess but maybe one can getting used to it. I think the game would benefit from some stealth elements like TLoU after what I experienced in the beta. Shooting all time isn't that great esp. with such a movement. It lacks freedom in character control. I had really high hopes (it's Massive after all) but after the beta I don't see my buying it Day One anymore.

Hm. I played the Beta with a friend and think it was kinda underwhelming. Shooting doesn't feel that good and thanks to all the cover objects (in combination with the space bar function) it plays like some rail-shooter from time to time. No free jumping, no free crouching. Animations look really good but if you sprint from cover to cover and want to interrupt that it just feels clunky and unnatural. Inventory management is a mess but maybe one can getting used to it. I think the game would benefit from some stealth elements like TLoU. Shooting all time isn't that great. I had really high hopes (it's Massive after all) but after the beta I don't see my buying it Day One anymore.

Yeah, I think I would have enjoyed it more if you could go for a stealth build. To me it felt unnatural sneaking up to a group of guys with their backs to me and not being able to take them down stealthily.

ryanofcall

Yeah, I think I would have enjoyed it more if you could go for a stealth build. To me it felt unnatural sneaking up to a group of guys with their backs to me and not being able to take them down stealthily.
Have you ever tried taking down someone stealthily from behind?
I have, they don't just die or faint instantly like videogames tell you! So it would be very unrealistic

SomTervo

Hm. I played the Beta with a friend and think it was kinda underwhelming. Shooting doesn't feel that good and thanks to all the cover objects (in combination with the space bar function) it plays like some rail-shooter from time to time. No free jumping, no free crouching. Animations look really good but if you sprint from cover to cover and want to interrupt that it just feels clunky and unnatural. Inventory management is a mess but maybe one can getting used to it. I think the game would benefit from some stealth elements like TLoU. Shooting all time isn't that great. I had really high hopes (it's Massive after all) but after the beta I don't see my buying it Day One anymore.

It actually has some core similarities to TLOU - against tough enemies/encounters it is definitely possible to lose your attackers and flank them.

I was going to lose to the big flamethrower boss until i hid behind a container until he lost me and i snuck out and got him from behind. It was fucking awesome.

It's also possible to kill enemies without alerting everyone, but they have to be very isolated and it basically has to be an OHKO option. I would LOVE a stealth kill mechanic.

But it's far less of a stealth/survival game than TLOU, so ofc you cant use distraction items or kill entire groups with stealth.

I really like The Division's balance/approach. The only encounter in the Beta i didnt enjoy was the one in the stadium which felt a bit too wavey, but it was still good.

Word.

Though as i mentioned, you can kill without alerting everyone.

Ive done it twice - find an enemy very isolated from everyone else, and use shotgun up close to OHK him. It's loud but they may not hear it, and you can carry on.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

There was a stealth kill move in the game but they cut it.

Edit:

376mfKs.gif

SomTervo

There was a stealth kill move in the game but they cut it.

Terrible choice :(

Though i suppose it would make certain encounters way too easy. That would fuck up the balance. The Medical one in the alley against the Yellow guy was great because i could OHK his squaddie but got in a huge protracted fight with the target.

More high quality suppressor options would fix the issue.

Am I one of the few who'll be getting The Division as mainly a singleplayer experience?

Darkzone seems like chaotic fun, but I got a massive kick out of just exploring the city, doing side activities and finding new apparel.

I loved the Dark zone and co-op, but am also looking forward to RPG'ing it solo.

I turned off the way point marker, meaning I have to set a waypoint, look at my map and work out cross streets, etc, then in game count blocks and look for street signs to guide me. Especially good at night.

SomTervo

I loved the Dark zone and co-op, but am also looking forward to RPG'ing it solo.

I turned off the way point marker, meaning I have to set a waypoint, look at my map and work out cross streets, etc, then in game count blocks and look for street signs to guide me. Especially good at night.

Yes, same here. Playing that way was awesome.

It felt like a proper good apocalyptic adventure - like open world TLOU sometimes.

Klyka

Banned
If people haven't noticed yet, the game actually has a "last known location" thing going on for enemies.
If you go into cover and they shoot at you and then you sneak along the cover somewhere else and you run from cover to cover without them seeing you, they will still go for your last known location and try to flank it until they see you in your new spot.

Magic all knowing AI the game has not.

deoee

I love that they give you the choice to turn off stuff like that :)

If people haven't noticed yet, the game actually has a "last known location" thing going on for enemies.
If you go into cover and they shoot at you and then you sneak along the cover somewhere else and you run from cover to cover without them seeing you, they will still go for your last known location and try to flank it until they see you in your new spot.

Yup!
I'm also pretty sure that weather influences the aggro range.
Sometimes I stumbled right into enemies in a snowstorm D:

ryanofcall

Adding a 1HKO stealth kill wouldn't cut it. You'd need to be able to move away the bodies, or it will be quite pointless. I'd have liked to see that the AI was a bit more logic. When I throw a sticky bomv and nobody reacts until I blow it up, they know immediately where I am. Of course they would be "alarmed" but how did they find out what myexact position is? Did Alex tell them? This might've been a big issue, too when they decided to remove stealth kills. Imagine they find a body and know immediately where you are, because the AI isn't programmed for a stealthy approach. I like stealthing, too. But it would be garbage if it's being half assed with a skill tree that doesn't really work with the AI...

Tecnniqe

Banned

Well sometimes they don't even see you when you stand in front of them :p

SomTervo

Yep. Again, this is how i beat flamethrower boss. He almost killed me three times until i played smart and lured him behind a container with last-known-position while i crept up behind him.

I think lots of people are playing it like Destiny and just shooting all shit. In The Division you can actually apply some strategy/thought to your movements and have some really great gameplay moments.

Hope the fukl game has plenty more encounter/gameplay options.

SomTervo

Adding a 1HKO stealth kill wouldn't cut it. You'd need to be able to move away the bodies, or it will be quite pointless. I'd have liked to see that the AI was a bit more logic. When I throw a sticky bomv and nobody reacts until I blow it up, they know immediately where I am. Of course they would be "alarmed" but how did they find out what myexact position is? Did Alex tell them? This might've been a big issue, too when they decided to remove stealth kills. Imagine they find a body and know immediately where you are, because the AI isn't programmed for a stealthy approach. I like stealthing, too. But it would be garbage if it's being half assed with a skill tree that doesn't really work with the AI...

Idk, TLOU didnt have corpse moving and it still had great stealth. If they find a body they break patrol pattern and search for you.

The Division shouldnt be a deep stealth game - stealth should just be a low-level tool, something to thin the herd before you break into combat. Would work great like that - a halfway house.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the Beta, played for roughly 6.5 hours straight with a buddy on PC. Didn't do too much Dark Zone, but what little time was spent there, we got ganked pretty hard. I know this is because the Beta Dark Zone area is much more dense than it will in the final release.

If Ubi has a bunch more missions (more than 12 total), and more end game stuff (like raids) up their sleeve, I think I am in. Visually it was very nice, and got solid frames, and gameplay wise it was fun.

I just really hope they announce their plans for end game/expansions soon, so that I know what their schedule will look like.

ryanofcall

Idk, TLOU didnt have corpse moving and it still had great stealth. If they find a body they break patrol pattern and search for you.

The Division shouldnt be a deep stealth game - stealth should just be a low-level tool, something to thin the herd before you break into combat. Would work great like that - a halfway house.

That ia exactly the issue, Division doesn't have an "alarmed state" like tlou. If you connect that with not being able to remove bodies, AI can tell your exact position by just looking at a dead body... that's probably why there is no stealth.
I find that already quite annoying with the sticky bomb "stealthing"

Klyka

Banned
Not all knowing but they can tell where you are when you blow up a sticky bomb, even if they didn't see you placing it. I find that quite annoying.

I think they do that on purpose because it would be too easy to exploit.
Basically,if you damage an enemy, they get alerted to your position.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Rogue central in the dz right before shutdown. Seems everyone turned evil before the end of the world heh

Haha, that's pretty awesome!

Maybe in the final release there will be different dark zones (besides for levels) with different reward/risks for going Rogue, making some instances more Rogue centric than others...wouldnt be a terrible way to give everyone what they seem to want.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Man looking at that stealth kill gif reminds me how much of a huge hit the game's lighting took.

ryanofcall

I think they do that on purpose because it would be too easy to exploit.
Basically,if you damage an enemy, they get alerted to your position.

No, if you blow it up but don't hurt anyone, they know, too. So it's not triggered by damage, rather than a "sign of an enemy attack"
But it just doesn't work with a stealth mechanic, that would make it totally useless and people would complain.

I only realised late last night that the situation board gave out encounters (Attack the Stronghold etc.)

Were these randomly generated or was there just a specific set for the beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom