• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Feel pretty great about how the beta ended... killed one and downed another right as the server dropped.

My final gear wasn't too shabby either. Bring on the full game!

cpqwG9J.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Why? In one of the missions I tried to stealth kill a guy from behind but I just bashed him with my weapon. I thought it would do a stealth kill animation automatically.

Apparantly they had balancing issues with the stealth takedowns so they removed it completely.

Which is unfortunate, because I'd love to shank some rioter. But on the other hand, OHK in the Dark Zone would take griefing to a next level. I can see why they removed it.

Apparantly they had balancing issues with the stealth takedowns so they removed it completely.

Which is unfortunate, because I'd love to shank some rioter. But on the other hand, OHK in the Dark Zone would take griefing to a next level. I can see why they removed it.

Yep it was a bitch to balance I bet. An I'm sure not just for pvp either but it's also the reason. These types of kills are not in rpg online games, it defeats the purpose of levels and bosses. Since you can one hit kill them whenever.

Though why they don't have crouch, prone or kneeling is beyond me....

lcap

This open beta just cemented my feelings for this game.
After being initially warm about the game, when I got to the closed beta on the last day it was open I got quite impressed but didn't have the time to get to Darkness Zone. After playing the whole afternoon yesterday I'm on the brink of pre-ordering the game.

Unfortunately my Destiny buddies didn't want to play it, but I thoroughly enjoy my solo experience.

For those that played on group, how did you enjoy your experiences?

Tecnniqe

Banned
After being initially warm about the game, when I got to the closed beta on the last day it was open I got quite impressed but didn't have the time to get to Darkness Zone. After playing the whole afternoon yesterday I'm on the brink of pre-ordering the game.

Unfortunately my Destiny buddies didn't want to play it, but I thoroughly enjoy my solo experience.

It's awesome.
And best of all, it's not Destiny

Played in a group of 4 + 3 last night hunting rogues, was so fun.

Ended up trapping them in the car park and forced them to split up, chased them down like scolded dogs.

Klyka

Banned

I played it with a friend and it gave both of us the same feeling of camaraderie we had when exploring Destiny together.

For me, I love the city environment. I know many people don't like it, but I have been playing a lot of games with big open natural environments lately and this is a great change of pace. The thing is also that the game has a great sense of scale. It makes me feel small when I walk through the streets and look up at the buildings.
The snow is also perfectly done and the game just feels cold. Like REALLY cold. And when the sun breaks through and everything is bright you actually feel a tiny bit warmer.

They did a fantastic job with the atmosphere.

TitusTroy

do you get partial XP points (or assist points) for injuring Rogue players or only for killing them?...seems like with NPC enemies you get an assist for injuring them

do you get partial XP points (or assist points) for injuring Rogue players or only for killing them?...seems like with NPC enemies you get an assist for injuring them

I'm sure I got a healthy chunk of change for helping to down a rogue during a manhunt. I was no-where near when the killing blow was struck.

SonnyBoy

As someone who had a love/hate relationship with Destiny and suddenly rage quit a year or so ago... I enjoyed this beta. Im still hurting over Destiny, so I will not purchase this on Day 1, but will keep an eye on it.

As a father with little time to game, matchmaking is a godsend. Thank you for adding it!

SomTervo

Love when I have one bullet left and manage to set a cleaners tank on fire exploding three others. So good.

Exhibit G for why the combat in this is better than Destiny.

It's just better. I like Destiny's combat, but there is a lot more to The Division and the AI is pretty solid.

Really enjoyed the Beta, played for roughly 6.5 hours straight with a buddy on PC. Didn't do too much Dark Zone, but what little time was spent there, we got ganked pretty hard. I know this is because the Beta Dark Zone area is much more dense than it will in the final release.

If Ubi has a bunch more missions (more than 12 total), and more end game stuff (like raids) up their sleeve, I think I am in. Visually it was very nice, and got solid frames, and gameplay wise it was fun.

I just really hope they announce their plans for end game/expansions soon, so that I know what their schedule will look like.

IIRC the full game will have 10 long main missions, and for the three skill trees it will have "a generous handful" of missions each - probably looking at 4-6.

Combined with all the side missions and mini-missions (unconfirmed numbers) I'm happy as larry to get the full game. Just looking forward to a full-size Manhattan, now...

That ia exactly the issue, Division doesn't have an "alarmed state" like tlou. If you connect that with not being able to remove bodies, AI can tell your exact position by just looking at a dead body... that's probably why there is no stealth.
I find that already quite annoying with the sticky bomb "stealthing"

I suppose you're right. But at least you can still 'lose' the enemies.

I never used Sticky Bombs, so didn't know about that. Pretty annoying. I remember first time I nail-bombed three guys in TLoU and the one survivor (it was brutal) knew roughly where I was after, but not exactly.

Haha, that's pretty awesome!

Maybe in the final release there will be different dark zones (besides for levels) with different reward/risks for going Rogue, making some instances more Rogue centric than others...wouldnt be a terrible way to give everyone what they seem to want.

I was thinking... How good would it be to have one-off/seasonal "Dark City" events, like on Halloween or something, where the entirety of Manhattan goes dark? So for like 6 hours the entire place is a complete free-for-all. Can be a good public event, too.

Why? In one of the missions I tried to stealth kill a guy from behind but I just bashed him with my weapon. I thought it would do a stealth kill animation automatically.

When I thought about it, many of the game's best encounters would be really fluffed if we could stealth kill.

A pity. I think a silencer for shotguns would solve it, though. Still loud, but can still work in some stealth situations. It actually already works for stealth if you're far enough away from other enemies (probably 70 feet).

bjaelke

Acquire the portable cover skill and you can crouch/cover wherever you want.
I was thinking... How good would it be to have one-off/seasonal "Dark City" events, like on Halloween or something, where the entirety of Manhattan goes dark? So for like 6 hours the entire place is a complete free-for-all. Can be a good public event, too.

Seasonal events already confirmed for the Dark Zone.

Raide

Too OP. Insta kill.

If it was a case of non-aware NPC's, having 1 chance to insta-kill them would be fine, since it would alert all the others. A pretty large risk to get so close, just to kill one enemy instantly.

It would not work against non hostile players or Rogue, because they would be alert to the possibility.

Z3M0G

This time around I didn't play either of the two missions or entered the DZ... should I still get the beta item?

I only ran around and did the Green/Blue encounters on the map.

SomTervo

I wonder why they cut the stealth kill move for?...seems like it would fit the game perfectly with no negative side effects

terrible decision to cut it. also terrible not to have dedicated crouch button. would improve the game immensely

You have to use your imagination to work out why.

There's a Medical Wing side mission where you go down a long, closed alleyway and there are two enemies at the end. One enemy is a regular level 7 dude, the other is a special Yellow level 7 dude.

If you could use stealth, you would simply hide in a garden to the side, backstab the regular dude, then backstab the Yellow dude. Very easy. There are a lot of hiding places in many of the game's environments, and you can move around so easily/safely, that the difficulty level of an encounter like that one would reduce to almost nil.

As the game is, without a full stealth system, I had to wangle close to the two enemies, get my shotgun ready, pop the regular guy dead with one shot, fall the fuck back away from the Yellow guy, then engage against him at long range, otherwise I'd be dead immediately. It was a hard, fun encounter that was really satisfying to complete.

Full-stealth options would water down the gameplay too much I think :( i.e. make it easy to OHK nearly every enemy before any action starts

Acquire the portable cover skill and you can crouch/cover wherever you want.

Is that like you have to drop something, though? It's not just a straight up crouch?

Being able to straight-up crouch is important, e.g. when you're backing away from cover but you want to stay hidden. The way it is now, you'll back away but automatically stand up and be seen. Using 'portable cover' to drop some wouldn't help in that context. Unless you can walk with it? (I'm not sure how it works.)

The Last of Us did it perfectly but no other game takes the same approach... I think Quantum Break is. You can crouch and move around freely while popping out of cover if you aim. The perfect cover mechanic.

Seasonal events already confirmed for the Dark Zone.

Yeah, but I meant like... The entire city. A special event where nowhere is safe, every single district goes Dark. The entire city becomes a true warzone.

There was a stealth kill move in the game but they cut it.

Edit:

376mfKs.gif

Fuck this should have stayed. QCB/hand-to-hand stuff should be in there... throw in some QTE stuff to counter it and make it a % chance of 1HK for NPC enemies. Would really add something to the combat and to potential strategies.

SomTervo

VJNn6Hn.png

Everything between the white borders to the north and the south

Looks disappointing on that screen, but I remember looking at that map while playing the Beta and thinking "That's definitely big enough". The red beta area is very big in itself.

Especially when you factor in how much the map stretches to the south east. Long way to walk down there.

Symphonia

Banned
How do you even get keys? I had 3 in the closed beta, but had no idea where they came from. Is it just random drops for all npc's? Or named npc's only?
You're lucky to have had three. I found numerous locked chests, but no keys. I remember one being in the sports centre but you needed a key to open it. You would've thought one of the enemies in that building would drop it, but no.

Looks disappointing on that screen, but I remember looking at that map while playing the Beta and thinking "That's definitely big enough". The red beta area is very big in itself.

Especially when you factor in how much the map stretches to the south east. Long way to walk down there.

I dunno man, looks kinda small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom