• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn82

Oh i completely understand... just something i think might be cool because you could switch it on in a split second so you could "play nice" and then within .5 seconds flip the switch and everyone goes... "fuck!!!" before you even fire... you could bait that way too! lol i'd have fun with it.

the game is full of cooldown timers, you could just put a timer on the toggle so you cant keep switching like a madman. If you switch by accident you`ll have to just wait it out.

Klyka

Banned
That is walking, though, at least :p

Doesn't it take like 8 minutes at a run?

I'm still happy with the size of the map. Mainly because it's so detailed. It seems just as detailed as MGSV: Ground Zeroes' Camp Omega, but it's like 30x the size.

However, I think I have to exercise caution with The Division. I felt the same confidence in Destiny before release, and that turned out to be a complete disaster.

Still... The Division was actually fun to play almost every instant for my 7-8 hours with it. Destiny was a nice adventure but the gameplay, even in the Beta, never really grabbed me - it was the promise of adventure that was compelling about Destiny for me. It never fulfilled that.

The Division also scratches my Rainbow Six/Splinter Cell itch perfectly. So I think I'll stick with it.

---------------------

Does anyone else get the vibe that Ubisoft are sort of breaking the Tom Clancy/Ubi brands down?

Ghost Recon Wildlands is like Ghost Recon + Far Cry + Splinter Cell

The Division is like Rainbow Six + Splinter Cell

Yes, at running speed it takes about a third of the time. But this is also just the beta map. So crossing the map from left to right at sprint will probably take about 15min.

That's not small. At all.

Kane1345

Makes sense but it's super easy to force someone to go Rogue... too easy. You can simply roll in front of some or run into their grenade AOE and force them Rogue without them being able to do anything.

That's my main problem. People forcing you Rogue when you and your team are busy with AI enemies in a firefight. They can come from nowhere and run straight into your bullets/grenades.

My gf was enraged yesterday when we were fighting rogues at an extraction zone. She threw an incendiary grenade at them and they all started taking damage when some random guy decided to walk and stay right in the fire turning our entire 3 man team rogue. There were about 7 neutral people around us at the time. Needless to say we didn't last long after that. When we realised we were all rogue it was too late and lost about 3 dz keys each. There was a lot of swearing on the mic... lol

So yeah, FF toggle pls Massive.

EL CUCO

I just feel the "friendly fire" on a toggle would eliminate some of the awesome tension and risk of opening fire. I know that it can be frustrating to go Rogue when you dont want to, but it creates some interesting encounters.

For the Turrrets, Massive just needs to disable them from firing on non-hostile agents.

lt519

I think a lot of reasons for the shenanigans last night was it was the last night of the beta. People didnt care about their rank at that point. You lose a shit ton when you die. People knew this and didn't care as progress wasn't going to transfer.

Definitely true as far as the extraction points went. We wouldn't have been doing that if it wasn't the last night. But for baiting people into going rogue when they don't want to, that HAS to be fixed. That entire meta was boring and stupid, not tense. The penalty for being rogue is too much for some jackass to intentionally step into my grenade or intentionally walk right in front of my barrel while I'm sniping. As much as you can practice discipline when there are a lot of people, it also sucks when your chance of accidentally going rogue goes up x3 when you are playing with a pick up group. You should be able to disavow team members when they go rogue before your entire squad does.

ironcreed

Banned
I think a lot of reasons for the shenanigans last night was it was the last night of the beta. People didnt care about their rank at that point. You lose a shit ton when you die. People knew this and didn't care as progress wasn't going to transfer.

Could be. I just know that it sure as hell did not feel like an RPG with everyone running around killing each other as soon as they came out the door, killing each other after healing someone and trying to help, death match at the extraction zones, killing players who are engaged with the AI, etc. It was hopeless. I might as well just go fire up Black Ops III at that point.

My gf was enraged yesterday when we were fighting rogues at an extraction zone. She threw an incendiary grenade at them and they all started taking damage when some random guy decided to walk and stay right in the fire turning our entire 3 man team rogue. There were about 7 neutral people around us at the time. Needless to say we didn't last long after that. When we realised we were all rogue it was too late and lost about 3 dz keys each. There was a lot of swearing on the mic... lol

It was dumb to throw a grenade there. If you can't ensure you won't do damage to friendlies then you shouldn't lob it out there. I've tossed grenades at packs of rogues and didn't account for friendlies in the area. That was my mistake and I should have calculated better before letting loose.

That's what I like about the dark zone. I hope there isn't some FF toggle or whatever. Keep the nature of the DZ brutal. I really don't want a neutered experience.

Besides, a lot of these complaints will be moot when the entire DZ is open and you have 24 players between 6 zones (instead of just 2 for the beta).

owlbeak

Anyone notice Dark Zone keys were dropped much less this beta? I'm assuming to counter the faster respawn rate of the chests? In the closed beta I'd get 6+ DZ keys within a few minutes, and during this beta I rarely found more than one. I think the entire weekend I got five keys.

Could be. I just know that it sure as hell did not feel like an RPG with everyone running around killing each other as soon as they came out the door, killing each other after healing someone and trying to help, death match at the extraction zones, killing players who are engaged with the AI, etc. It was hopeless. I might as well just go fire up Black Ops III at that point.

I see your point but being a beta and the last night did not help. I say if you don't want to sneak around in the dark zone solo find a friend to have your back at least. Makes for good times.

lt519

That's not small. At all.

A map can be as big as it wants but if it's the same thing over and over again it's useless. I watched that time lapse video skipping every 30 seconds and every single snapshot looked exactly the same. Beyond my problems with the Dark Zone that is the second biggest hurdle this game is facing.

It was dumb to throw a grenade there. If you can't ensure you won't do damage to friendlies then you shouldn't lob it out there. I've tossed grenades at packs of rogues and didn't account for friendlies in the area. That was my mistake and I should have calculated better before letting loose.

That's what I like about the dark zone. I hope there isn't some FF toggle or whatever. Keep the nature of the DZ brutal. I really don't want a neutered experience.

Besides, a lot of these complaints will be moot when the entire DZ is open and you have 24 players between 6 zones (instead of just 2 for the beta).

Sounds like the person ran in afterwards to intentionally let the fire damage them. A lot of people were doing that to make people go rogue. That was on the person taking the damage not on the person throwing the grenade. I did it once last night too. It's just a shitty form of griefing.

Also you won't have 24 players between 6 zones because a month into the game everyone is going to be max level and crammed into the final 2 zones again. No point in running around the level 8 zone when you are level 30.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Yup, im actually afraid its too low amount of players in the final game

ironcreed

Banned
I see your point but being a beta and the last night did not help. I say if you don't want to sneak around in the dark zone solo find a friend to have your back at least. Makes for good times.

Oh, I still like the DZ and all of the tension that it brings with risk/reward. I just hate the idiots who sour the experience of what it could be. As much as I love this game and as much as I think I will have fun with it... the DZ still shows some signs of having the potential for some serious issues. Just calling a spade a spade after spending more time with it.

Git gud if you are complaining about going rogue

I agree bud.

On a serious note, it is fun going rogue by accident during the beta; none of the loot really mattered if we are being honest. Your best loot was bought from vendors.

In the full game I do believe you will hardly see other players but instead more NPCs because of the size of the map. Extracting will be a breeze once NPCs are cleared out.

I just feel the "friendly fire" on a toggle would eliminate some of the awesome tension and risk of opening fire. I know that it can be frustrating to go Rogue when you dont want to, but it creates some interesting encounters.

For the Turrrets, Massive just needs to disable them from firing on non-hostile agents.

Word

Tecnniqe

Banned
I agree bud.

On a serious note, it is fun going rogue by accident during the beta; none of the loot really mattered if we are being honest. Your best loot was bought from vendors.

In the full game I do believe you will hardly see other players but instead more NPCs because of the size of the map. Extracting will be a breeze once NPCs are cleared out.

Not if they spawn like they did sometimes in the OB.

Like 50 AI just spawning all around you

Kane1345

Sounds like the person ran in afterwards to intentionally let the fire damage them. A lot of people were doing that to make people go rogue. That was on the person taking the damage not on the person throwing the grenade. I did it once last night too. It's just a shitty form of griefing.

That's exactly what happened. Basically the same as the people who intentionally walk in front of turrets to turn the person who set it down into a rogue.

Also you won't have 24 players between 6 zones because a month into the game everyone is going to be max level and crammed into the final 2 zones again. No point in running around the level 8 zone when you are level 30.

The zones correspond to AI levels, not player levels.

I think the reason the DZ will have only 24 players across the 6 zones is to intensify the risk/reward of going rogue; in a bigger map, you'll really need to put yourself out there to find someone to kill, but if you do, you could across the DZ and survive long enough.

Maybe y'all should just have your own Dark Zone where you can't go rogue and everyone can hold hands around a camp fire. It can be the Friend Zone, and those of us that like the tension and risk can keep our Dark Zone.

Not if they spawn like they did some times in the OB.

Like 50 AI just spawning all around you

Very true. Lol I would normally be with Cuco, Dpred, Ruthless, Gummy, Soss, Lnkn or some other DGAF people and we clear out the rooftop extraction location and call it in and before the helicopter comes the NPCs would spawn again. But this wasn't always consistent--weird timer.

lt519

The zones correspond to AI levels, not player levels.

But where do you think people will gather? Where the highest AI levels are for the best drops. I'm not going to be level 30 wandering around the level 8 AI zones. Everyone will end up in the same zone in the end. I'm talking 1-2 months in end game when the casuals are gone, the game is going to look exactly like it did at the end of the Beta.

Oh, shit.

It's 24 between all DZ areas?

That sucks... Gonna be pretty scarce in player population.
I think that's intentional, the DZ isn't really PvP focused, it's risk-focused, with PvP being only part of the overall risk. IMHO the NPCs in the DZ were much scarier than the players were (with the exception of the BFB Sticky Bomb)

Oh, shit.

It's 24 between all DZ areas?

That sucks... Gonna be pretty scarce in player population.

Yup it is going to be more about PVE for sure in the full release.

But the 2nd DLC will be solely focused on competitive multiplayer from my understanding.

(Also is your profile pic a klee kai?)

But where do you think people will gather? Where the highest AI levels are for the best drops. I'm not going to be level 30 wandering around the level 8 AI zones.

If I went rogue or was extracting something rare those are exactly the places I would go to get away from all those folks.

Anyway, at max level the entire DZ instance will probably be 30+.

bjaelke

Anyway, at max level the entire DZ instance will probably be 30+.

Definitely.
The Dark Zone itself is divided into 6 subzones, going from DZ01 (South) to DZ06 (North) of Midtown Manhattan, while number 06 is the most dangerous one and requires you to be DZ Rank 29-30 to join this particular player bracket.

As you hit DZ Rank level 30, the zoning is gone and you are able to explore the whole zone again, but with tougher enemies and better loot. Each of these subzones can be entered by either the aforementioned checkpoints or walls.

DZ01: 10-12
DZ02: 13-15
DZ03: 16-18
DZ04: 22-24
DZ05: 27-29
DZ06: 29-30

Yes. The DZ last night was a little more crazier than usual. Though, I did have a fun time last night rolling solo. I came around a corner and saw three players standing next to each other. Two of the guys were on a team and were shooting the one guy a couple times, trying to get him to fire back to turn Rogue. I sneaked up and took cover to the side of them. The one player was smart and didn't fall for it. So the two players got frustrated and opened fire and turned Rogue. I already had a flame grenade ready, tossed it and unloaded on them with my shotgun. Give me dos bounties!

Did anyone take note on how much xp you lose as a regular death compared to a rogue death?

I got to twelve and noticed if I died by an NPC I lost as much as 1000 xp. Didn't die as a rogue much as I always tried to be in a group.

lt519

Then all of this won't be as much of an issue.

I still think they could gate the damage to go rogue a bit better. It's like you shouldn't be able to damage someone until you are rogue. So first accidental sniper round doesn't hurt them, but also doesn't make you rogue. You can still FF people in your party and damage them though so as not to abuse tactics. Or alternatively it could be a proportion of damage of AI vs Player. If you are pumping into the AI an incidentally pop one round into a player it should know intent. Both might be a pretty easy system to take advantage of though, tough problem.

hydruxo

Did anyone take note on how much xp you lose as a regular death compared to a rogue death?

I got to twelve and noticed if I died by an NPC I lost as much as 1000 xp. Didn't die as a rogue much as I always tried to be in a group.

You lose way more XP/credits/keys if you die as rogue as compared to dying normally.

Can't remember how much XP exactly, but I lost almost 3k DZ bucks when I died as a rank 4 rogue at one point.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Then all of this won't be as much of an issue.

I still think they could gate the damage to go rogue a bit better. It's like you shouldn't be able to damage someone until you are rogue. So first accidental sniper round doesn't hurt them, but also doesn't make you rogue. You can still FF people in your party and damage them though so as not to abuse tactics. Or alternatively it could be a proportion of damage of AI vs Player. If you are pumping into the AI an incidentally pop one round into a player it should know intent. Both might be a pretty easy system to take advantage of though, tough problem.

I could compromise with you that not taking damage until they got rogue would be ok-ish.

lt519

I could compromise with you that not taking damage until they got rogue would be ok-ish.

Or even reduced damage. Dunno just trying to be constructive and think of ideas that aren't black and white (no FF vs FF). Because it's definitely an issue that people are intentionally using to grief. Like the fire bomb example above.

Not doing any damage might cause you to lose a bit of the element of surprise. Tough balance.

I think it would be wise for people with friends that are going to buy the game for sure to decide if they will grind PVE(non-DZ) stuff until they are regular level 30 so they can enter the DZ together without being broken up in different instances for some players be lower levels.

ironcreed

Banned
Maybe y'all should just have your own Dark Zone where you can't go rogue and everyone can hold hands around a camp fire. It can be the Friend Zone, and those of us that like the tension and risk can keep our Dark Zone.

LOL, that is not what I want at all. It just gets annoying when you have a group of assholes that kill you as soon as you walk out of a checkpoint door, chasing you around firing off a shot or two trying to bait you into going rogue, turning around and killing you after trying to get you to team up with them or after healing them, etc.

On the flipside, it is a fun as hell mode. But it looks like that it will easily devolve into a troll infested grief-fest at times. In other words, those who want the tension of trying to run solo are going to be punished more than anyone for wanting to play that way. It is what it is, but we will see how it all plays out with the full map to run around in.

lt519

You lose way more XP/credits/keys if you die as rogue as compared to dying normally.

Can't remember how much XP exactly, but I lost almost 3k DZ bucks when I died as a rank 4 rogue at one point.

Hey hydruxo, here's your 4 grenade kill last night if you didn't save a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjtaveHy-s

I lost a third of my dark zone currency when we didn't make it out haha, I think it's proportional to what you have.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think it would be wise for people with friends that are going to buy the game for sure to decide if they will grind PVE(non-DZ) stuff until they are regular level 30 so they can enter the DZ together without being broken up in different instances for some players be lower levels.

Depends how steep the 30 grind is.

If its normal-ish i'll do 30 normal, get some decent gear and head to the DZ i think.
Seems pointless before that.

graywolf323

crap :( I was sick this weekend and slept a lot so I completely missed out on trying out the beta

interested in the game and was hoping this would get me off the fence

The1Ski

Totally agree. It's the same concept playing hardcore in Battlefield or whatever. Decisions mean something and you can't assume others know what your intentions are. Friendly fire is anything but.

Wasn't there an option in the menu to join higher ranked friends anyway?

That's what I said though, dude - it looks small on paper, but once you're actually on the ground, walking the city, you look at that map and are sort of like "Yeah, that's big enough".

For instance, the Beta area alone was nearly big enough for me. It took a long time to traverse, it was intricate, and it was packed with detail. There was a lot of content in there - enterable buildings, scalable rooftops, randomised enemy placement, side missions, Skill Tree missions, Containment Zones...

I totted up the area in the game's full map and it looks like it's about 4-5 times bigger.

4-5 times bigger than what's in the Beta makes me very excited. The Beta along probably contained about 60% of what Destiny had in its full release. That would mean the full Division release will have at least twice as much as Destiny. And we know they're better at story content than Destiny from the Beta, too.

Yup, just saw that video. Take back my small map comment.

ODDI

Aw man I did not expect myself to get interested in this especially with the whole bulletspongey human enemies but I... I like this game.... like really like it damn I may have to pick this up. Managed to reach level 11 in the DZ and got alot good gear (will post pics later) all in while going solo though I know I'll need to crew up in the future, so here's a few notes.

-The gameplay is like Splinter Cell x Gears of War so can we lean more on Gears mechanics like switching weapons while mid air.
-The near death screen is just too much fucking jelly smeared all over the screen can't see shit I already have to deal with those smoke grenades so it needs to be toned down imo.
-Someone mentioned it earlier but yeah the game can do with a tagging system (heck all multiplayer games should have that and arm switching)
-I need a crew my solo days can only go on for so long :(

So yeah this could be my next multiplayer addiction GG Ubisoft.

H1c6YT0.gif

I only had one incident where someone on a team I joined went rogue, then we all ended up dead. But otherwise, everyone I saw in the DZ helped each other out guarding extractions against NPCs. DZ is pretty tense going in solo though.

I wasn't totally sold on this game before the beta, but it was really fun. I'll definitely pick it up when it releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom