• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masud

Banned
There's nothing to decide here in my opinion. Either do PVE content (Do it first preferly) or get destroyed in the Dark Zone. Everything is locked behind PVE! Skills,Talents,Perks and the Crafting System are all locked behind the PVE content and it would be foolish to not take the time to unlock those things before jumping on to the Dark Zone.

Getting loot from the lower level dark zone instances might be the best way to level up for the harder pve stuff early on. Of course we have no idea at this point.

ironcreed

Banned
You know who we are, unlike randoms, and can chew us out if we renege

Like I said, I will see how it all plays out. But for now my mindset is that the DZ is going to be best approached for me with a survival of the fittest style of play, where I try to get in and out with what I can, as fast as I can.

Getting loot from the lower level dark zone instances might be the best way to level up for the harder pve stuff early on. Of course we have no idea at this point.

DZ Loot is still Level capped in addition to Rank capped. Doing lower level DZ for loot will in an attempt to be slightly stronger for PvE content leveling would be a poor use of time. Low levels of DZ will be primarily for messing around with friends. Not unlike MMO Arena/Battlegrounds.

AwShucks

So I did the non DZ stuff and enjoyed it. Also got to rank 8 in the DZ and enjoyed it. I'm hoping reviews are good as I like single player campaigns but can't get a good grasp on if this one will be any good. Might be picking it up.

SomTervo

I guess the war torn zombie apocalypse theme doesn't really do enough for me. There are certainly differences, residential areas with trash piled up instead of the more urban areas with cars piled up. But in the end it was all too samey for me, I fully explored the map as well. Just a gripe I have, all the better if they can vary the environments in the full game more. A game like Fallout 4 still has islands, coasts, historic districts, urban centers, small towns, wooded areas, the radioactive sea, etc. This so far is just buildings and cars. They may be different buildings and cars, but still just buildings and cars. No central park planned, etc.

The mass grave site at Camp Hudson was the most unique and cool thing.

The mass grave was very fucking cool.

I guess the Beta only included some very central, very sky-scraperey bits of the island. If you look at the full map, the far north west and the far east seemed very building-light. I think they gave us a purposefully similar/samey segment of the game to play. There were bits just beyond the red barrier that looked amazing.

Pity about central park etc, deffo. At least this structure lends itself perfectly to DLC map expansion - in a really natural way.

Yup, just saw that video. Take back my small map comment.

*fist bump*

Of course, I wish it was bigger, but I'm very happy with its size as long as it's as intricate and detailed as the Beta segment.

garath

Anyone else get a crash to desktop playing PC version? Only happened once for me but that's not very common with modern games. Wondering if it's widespread or an isolated thing.

Tovarisc

I guess the war torn zombie apocalypse theme doesn't really do enough for me. There are certainly differences, residential areas with trash piled up instead of the more urban areas with cars piled up. But in the end it was all too samey for me, I fully explored the map as well. Just a gripe I have, all the better if they can vary the environments in the full game more. A game like Fallout 4 still has islands, coasts, historic districts, urban centers, small towns, wooded areas, the radioactive sea, etc. This so far is just buildings and cars. They may be different buildings and cars, but still just buildings and cars. No central park planned, etc.

War torn zombie apocalypse, what game are you talking about? If you liked details like mass grave outside of Camp Hudson you should have liked a lot of places in beta, and will have even more pause giving locations coming in release ;) Those black polymer caskets that you see around in Division, especially huges stacks of them in DZ where cleaners are, can take up to 4-5 adults / casket. Gives quite grim idea about scale of death in Division's NYC.

Ourobolus

Banned
hell NO. If it's one thing that really is not necessary it's some neon green loot chests or some fancy blinking hud icon. The minimap icon can be too much too.

I want to explore and find stuff by mistake and not have something like in Tomb Raider with it's "secret" tombs to explore...

It doesn't have to be intrusive. I agree, I don't want some ugly-ass thing sitting in the middle of the sidewalk that looks out of place. But as it currently is, it blends into the environment. Some are a bit easier, like the chests inside of buildings, but out on the streets the colors just mesh together.

EDIT: Btw, this isn't a deal-breaker for me or anything.

Pity about central park etc, deffo. At least this structure lends itself perfectly to DLC map expansion - in a really natural way.

Wait... are they really not doing Central Park!? Just.... how... can you not?! Man that's a shame as i was picturing it looking/playing amazing in the snow with a super creepy ambient.

jaaz

Anyone else get a crash to desktop playing PC version? Only happened once for me but that's not very common with modern games. Wondering if it's widespread or an isolated thing.

Not a crash to desktop but a hard lock once when I started running and immediately hit the inventory button. Only happened once though, it's been completely smooth all other times.

Game could still use performance optimization as it's making my OC i7-6700k and 980Ti really work at 1440p/Ultra settings.

Oh, the ladder spot. I saw a team of four rush 3 manhunt rogues at that spot. The team that rushed all had riot shields. You know what happened. Everything works itself out....hahaha

Very much this. People are quick to complain and don't really attempt to problem solve. We had a group of rogues hiding in the NW alley just dropping turrets and throwing incendiary grenades. Coordinated with two randoms, placed two shields in front, two snipers in the back and rushed them. This is what I love about the DZ.

Lazlo

-Someone mentioned it earlier but yeah the game can do with a tagging system (heck all multiplayer games should have that and arm switching)

There already is:
Tap D-Pad up to mark a target. Each group member has a numbered mark.
D-Pad Hold & Release to start a 5 second countdown timer on the target to coordinate attacks

Tovarisc

Not a crash to desktop but a hard lock once when I started running and immediately hit the inventory button. Only happened once though, it's been completely smooth all other times.

Game could still use performance optimization as it's making my OC i7-6700k and 980Ti really work at 1440p/Ultra settings.

Be glad you have i7 and can do 1440p/Ultra. I have i5 6600K and 980Ti, can't do 1080p60 because game is very CPU intensive and runs it at 100% all the time, this causes bottleneck for GPU. At least in beta game came across as game which needs i7 CPU for that proper and good performance.

hydruxo

I think there will be alot more variety in environments in the full game. I mean obviously it's still NYC so most of it will look very urban but if you look at the map, there's a good amount of parks in the southeastern areas.

Stuyvesant should also be pretty different than any of the other areas:

Stuytown-3.jpg

Wait... are they really not doing Central Park!? Just.... how... can you not?! Man that's a shame as i was picturing it looking/playing amazing in the snow with a super creepy ambient.

DLC most likely, because it's right above DZ06 so I could see them expanding it to include a portion of it.

Archpath1

Hilarious there was two teams , talking mad shit,dogging each other out, with other randos around in a circle watching encouraging to fight
It was like a damn highschool fight "hit him dude!"

I decided to help
by using sticky flash bomb, guys freaked out started spraying, and watched the chaos unfold.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Reporter Lady: "Do you miss The Division?"
Me: "No."
Reporter Lady: "No?"
Me: *cries*

garath

Be glad you have i7 and can do 1440p/Ultra. I have i5 6600K and 980Ti, can't do 1080p60 because game is very CPU intensive and runs it at 100% all the time, this causes bottleneck for GPU. At least in beta game came across as game which needs i7 CPU for that proper and good performance.

Well I know I'm not doing ultra but with the new drivers I get a rock solid 60fps at 1080p on high. i5 2500k @ 4.3, 970.

Performance was pretty crappy on the older drivers. I haven't updated for quite awhile. I was still on a 351 version. I got some strange artifacts like my video card was crapping out on those drivers. Updating seemed to fix it.

This is definitely the most finiky PC game I've played in awhile. I could hope it gets sorted for the full release but I'm not holding my breath.

lt519

War torn zombie apocalypse, what game are you talking about? If you liked details like mass grave outside of Camp Hudson you should have liked a lot of places in beta, and will have even more pause giving locations coming in release ;) Those black polymer caskets that you see around in Division, especially huges stacks of them in DZ where cleaners are, can take up to 4-5 adults / casket. Gives quite grim idea about scale of death in Division's NYC.

Haha I'm just assuming we'll see some sort of "infected" enemy types. Did people just drop dead of a cough and cold from this contamination? Probably not. I was media blackout prior to the Beta so I actually don't know really much about it.

I guess my comments were a little harsh. The game is full of detail and looks great. The different areas do tell a story. Great touches. I just don't know if I'll keep appreciating it 10 hours in unless we get some more variety (like Camp Hudson). I certainly stopped appreciating the area we had to play around in after a couple hours. Again it's just a concern, we'll find out soon!

So you were watching video where player stands in same spot for X seconds as he records timelapse and you were surprised that it looked exactly the same throughout of whole video? Sure it's "generic city, NYC, in modern time" and it will restrict creative environment somewhat, but it doesn't mean there isn't a lots of nice detail and places with their own stories.

The video where he walks from end to end, not the standing still time lapse. Game does have great environmental cycles though.

Helznicht

You got that shit right. I am not going to be as helpful in the full game because I found that it bites me in the ass more times than not. If I see you laying there about to go out, I might stop and clap before going my merry way. No more healing someone, only for them to unload on my ass as soon as I turn around.

Was playing with my daughter last night. We are typically rogue hunters (we dont go rogue, we kill them) We were extracting and got hit by a npc mob and I went down. Before my daughter could get to me, another player (mixer***) healed me up.

Later he ran past us as a rogue, we let him off on his merry way due to his kindness earlier. I know there are lots that would have gunned him down, or wouldn't have helped me in the first place, its why the DZ rocks, never know whats going to happen.

Do you guys think the weekend this game comes out is enough time after release to find out how the darkzone and end game are? I don't want to buy it if beta's dark zone is pretty much the same as the full game, but I dont want to wait too long and my friends are waaayy ahead.

SomTervo

Haha I'm just assuming we'll see some sort of "infected" enemy types. Did people just drop dead of a cough and cold from this contamination? Probably not. I was media blackout prior to the Beta so I actually don't know really much about it.

I guess my comments were a little harsh. The game is full of detail and looks great. The different areas do tell a story. Great touches. I just don't know if I'll keep appreciating it 10 hours in unless we get some more variety (like Camp Hudson). I certainly stopped appreciating the area we had to play around in after a couple hours. Again it's just a concern, we'll find out soon!

I don't think we'll see any infected types. The idea is that the infection has 90% run its course - it's society as a whole which has collapsed.

TBH, The Last of Us could have done exactly the same thing, but I think ND wanted to try their hand at zombie gameplay. A Tom Clancy title couldn't get away with zombies, I don't think.

Reporter Lady: "Do you miss The Division?"
Me: "No."
Reporter Lady: "No?"
Me: *cries*

:(

I miss it, but not that much. I'm mainly anticipating the full game.

ironcreed

Banned
Was playing with my daughter last night. We are typically rogue hunters (we dont go rogue, we kill them) We were extracting and got hit by a npc mob and I went down. Before my daughter could get to me, another player (mixer***) healed me up.

Later he ran past us as a rogue, we let him off on his merry way due to his kindness earlier. I know there are lots that would have gunned him down, or wouldn't have helped me in the first place, its why the DZ rocks, never know whats going to happen.

Part of me agrees. That is why I think it will be a mixed bag for me after what I have seen. I will love it and hate it equally, lol. But I think I will have a great time with the game on the whole.

It's what puts it above Destiny, in terms of player interaction, for me.

I know the Crucible is Destiny's PvP, but meeting other player groups in Destiny really isn't that interesting, because there is no way to interact. You're basically playing co-op, just with everyone.

Having the *possibility* of PvP in a shared social space is where the tension, risk/reward, and (as a result) player relationships come into play. It's too black and white in Destiny. The gray area is what makes it fun.

GlamFM

Banned
Funny thing happened.

Came home pretty drunk a couple of days ago and wanted to start the download for the devision Beta so it would download overnight.

Woke up the next morning and it turns out downloaded the crew demo instead.

Yeah...

2hrs later I bought the crew and have not stopped playing since.

Amazing game.

Have not touched the devision yet ;)

Tovarisc

To bolded part; people died to Smallpox Variola Chimera to be precise.
Loaned pic from Reddit as I didn't take screeny of that thing myself; https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/46nwjm/i_found_the_scientific_name_of_the_virus/

You could get sneak peek of some great stuff from red border from small angles, interesting places ahead I'm sure.

Carlisle

I had fun with The Division--a lot more than I expected. I played with a few good buddies and the team dynamic was really great. I can't say how strong the game is on your own, but it's a blast with friends. I'll echo those that say Destiny did gunplay better, but that's where it ends with me. The Division just had more things to do that were more engaging than Destiny. There's a lot of potential for different kinds of missions in the Dark Zone, and with the added variable of Rogues you can never be sure just how things will go down. It adds a level of uncertainty that raises the stakes and the tension with everything you do.

I would love to see more Dark Zone missions that require teamwork with other players, to raise the risk of people going Rogue. Or to see missions where it's more advantageous to go Rogue--perhaps a greater payoff--and keep a chord of distrust ringing in the back of everyone's minds, even as they're working together. The Rogue aspect of the DZ is rife with social experiment possibilities!

I haven't decided if this is a day-one purchase yet; I'll wait to see reviews and what kind of promises Ubisoft will make with regard to the content, gameplay, and missions. But it's all exciting and promising from where I'm standing, with only a few hours into a very limited beta.

Klyka

Banned
Funny thing happened.

Came home pretty drunk a couple of days ago and wanted to start the download for the devision Beta so it would download overnight.

Woke up the next morning and it turns out downloaded the crew demo instead.

Yeah...

2hrs later I bought the crew and have not stopped playing since.

Amazing game.

Have not touched the devision yet ;)

some people drunk dial their ex

you drunk download the crew

Never saw a single purple drop personally, and I spent all my time in the 8-8 bracket.

dev ons tream said all drops above blue were disabled in the beta DZ.
you also won'T be able to buy those high end yellow weapons just llike that,they are found/earned

Tovarisc

Today, The Division Beta ended with a major achievement: with more than 6.4 million players joining The Division, this beta is now the biggest beta ever for a new IP on current generation platforms!
http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.co....aspx?c=tcm:154-239628-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Edit:
Pre order you just get a skin, yes?

Gold edition you get a different skin plus season pass?

Pre-order of normal edition gives you hazmat suit, vanity skin.

Pre-order of gold edition gives hazmat and national guard, vanity skins both, and season pass

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Pre order you just get a skin, yes?

Gold edition you get a different skin plus season pass?
Correct! At least in the US since I can't speak for other regions but I guess these pre order retal skins in the EU/UK confused people so they said screw it and tossed them all onto the season pass.

hydruxo

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.co....aspx?c=tcm:154-239628-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Today, The Division Beta ended with a major achievement: with more than 6.4 million players joining The Division, this beta is now the biggest beta ever for a new IP on current generation platforms!

On average, players spent an average of 5 hours as activated sleeper agents journeying through The Division’s open world. With 2 average hours spent in the Dark Zone and almost 50% of players going rogue, you demonstrated your love for The Dark Zone, The Division’s unique and challenging player-versus-player environment. Fun fact: over 63 309 800 contaminated items were successfully extracted out of the Dark Zone.

We’re very grateful so many of you tried the game and started to take back New York City ahead of the game’s release on March 8th. Thanks so much to the millions who joined The Division’s Beta, we hope everyone enjoyed playing the game as much as we enjoy making it. See you early March in New York City, Agents!

- The Division Dev Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom