• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Donkey Konga impressions thread

Alcibiades

I finally tried it out at the gamestop today (wasn't sure how excited I was, just pretty curious, but I always thought maracas and dancing were more fun, so I wasn't sure what to expect).

I went in to check what selection of games they had (like Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil: 0, which my Best Buy had ran out or doesn't carry) so I could send customers to where they could find the game, and I noticied they had put the Donkey Konga demo, so I tried it, AND IT ROCKED!

Turns out the one employee at the time told me he had a lot of fun with it, and that him and a co-worker were playing over and over trying to best each other's store the day the Nintendo lady brought it in.

I played the Donkey Konga theme, All the Small Things (Blink 192), and You Can't Hurry Love (Diana Ross). The employee was obsessed with doing in well in some other song, with a sort of dark melodic tone, but I don't remember the name of it...

I love the way the gameplay works and the drum feels great. I thought they'd feel like plastic hollow toys, but they have a good, solid and sturdy feel. The one or two customers that went in while I was playing (slow morning, as school is in session), I could tell were looking curiously and even asked the employee about it (at least one person did).

The employee there says he might get a Gamecube just for this game (he seemed pretty addicted, and said people were already pre-ordering after giving it a try, seemed pretty enthusiastic considering he didn't own a GCN), and I can see this prove to be popular with kids. Of course, the PS2 will also have a drum game, so I don't know exactly how much of a "system-seller" this could be, but this sounds like a great word-of-mouth hit...

When I returned a while later to go play it, he was already playing it again as I walked in (no customers), and before offering me the chance to play, he's like "one more turn, cause I know you want to play it", he seemed pretty addicted to it...

I can't wait to go back and play it again, hopefully I'll get a little good at it before even owning it...

So how about you guys give your impressions!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
My girlfriend and I played for two rounds, then she looks to me and says "we are buying it."

Those are my impressions.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm really not sure if I want to get this or Taiko no Tatsujin, I might end up with both.
I don't know if it has the Jungle Beat demo on the US kiosk, but I played it several times while I was in Japan. Jungle Beat is fucking fun. And that really pushes me for Donkey Konga, just because the kongas will have at least another usage.
Taiko no Tatsujin is just a freaking blast though. My most played game whenever I went to arcade.s

impirius

I love it. I'm going to stop by Circuit City tomorrow just so I can play a few more rounds. The demo songs provided a fair challenge; I can't wait to play some of the hard songs.

If anyone in Nintendo's marketing department has a brain, they'll push this as hard as the "major" holiday games. Everyone who watched the demo was very interested, and a couple decided to buy GCs over the holidays because of it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
RevenantKioku said:
I don't know if it has the Jungle Beat demo on the US kiosk, but I played it several times while I was in Japan.
It doesn't but atleast Nintendo provides a video. They REALLY need to provide a demo in their next kiosk DVD in order to provide extra hype for the game after the release.

rareside

Good to see some US impressions. I've had the Japanese version for about 2 weeks, and while I still maintain that NOTHING beats Samba de Amigo, Donka Konga indeed rocks. Playing it for the past 2 weeks has made me realize the game will get dull with just one set of kongas though, which is why I hope to buy the US version as well.

Last weekend I went to a concert where Nintendo had Donkey Konga setup with FOUR konga controllers! If you think it's fun in the store, you gotta try it with 3 others! The only real negative was that it was very loud (the concert), so sometimes the kongas would be on "auto-clap" mode, where you wouldn't even have to clap for it to pick it up because the interference was constant.

There's nothing greater than watching a group of 4 goth kids play DK to "Bingo"

B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o!

mosaic

go eat paint
I had a similar experience in Toys R Us -- the guy working the RZone was so thrilled to see me and my GF checking it out that he talked us through it and damn near busted a nut explaining the beat & clap mechanics.

Now I need to consider if one game is worth $115 (game + 2 konga controllers)... and if I don't think it is, hope she doesn't point out the fact that I already own an expensive dance mat, two karaoke mics, twin sticks, and a custom joystick. %@#%$# accessories.

If Nintendo and store managers can get people to try the game out, it's going to sell extremely well. I dunno though -- they don't generally push their September games well.

Meier

I think this game will sell VERY, VERY well. The music genre is pretty fun but most people have just always been completely unfamiliar with it. The Donkey Kong theme is something familiar to Joe Gamer and since it's very easy to get into -- it should be a big hit and will hopefully help other games of its ilk be more successful down the line as consumer awareness rises.

I'm planning on getting it and Taiko myself.

ps. Mosaic -- it's 50 for the game plus a konga, then like 30 or so more for another.. so unless you intend to get 3 konga's overall, it'd only be in the 80 dollar range.

cvxfreak

My friends are also very interested in Donkey Konga. I LOVE my Japanese import and I'm kicking myself for not getting Hit Song Parade from Japan. All in all, I see this becoming VERY popular.

mosaic

go eat paint
Meier -- you sure? I checked on Amazon, GameStop, and EB Games and neither site specifically says it comes with 1 controller. :/

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
mosaic said:
Meier -- you sure? I checked on Amazon, GameStop, and EB Games and neither site specifically says it comes with 1 controller. :/
It is, both EB and GameStop confirm this as well.

EDIT: You're welcome mosaic, I'm glad I could help!

Alcibiades

mosaic said:
I had a similar experience in Toys R Us -- the guy working the RZone was so thrilled to see me and my GF checking it out that he talked us through it and damn near busted a nut explaining the beat & clap mechanics.

Now I need to consider if one game is worth $115 (game + 2 konga controllers)... and if I don't think it is, hope she doesn't point out the fact that I already own an expensive dance mat, two karaoke mics, twin sticks, and a custom joystick. %@#%$# accessories.

If Nintendo and store managers can get people to try the game out, it's going to sell extremely well. I dunno though -- they don't generally push their September games well.

yeah, I think the guy was doing something when I first walked in (phone or GBA or checking something), but as I started to play (I guess he was waiting on a customer or something), once he turned his attention to me, he was happy I was trying it out and even explained how I needed to clap as well during the "star" thingies (I'd only been hitting the left or right Bongo at the time). I might have figured it out eventually, but the help was appreciated it. It was cool talking with him, and it was cool sharing the conversation on how cool the game was...

mosaic

go eat paint
Meier, Tekuno -- I shoulda just checked Nintendo's press room first... it confirms in clear language that indeed 1 bongo controller is packed in. Thanks for doing your part to educate me though.

Now to figure out where I'm going to pre-order.... at $85 for two bongos and game, I have no excuse.

BuddyC

Word is Jungle Beat will be a full-priced game and will not include the bongos. While I don't agree with this, I can understand it, and hell, Jungle Beat's easily worth $50. I'll probably end up paying more for the import anyways. So buy your bongos now - remember what happened when people held off on buying the Sambe de Amigo maracas?

I really applaud Nintendo for putting Konga in the kiosks. It's a great attention grabber and the simple gameplay really captures people. Now if they'll just put Jungle Beat on the next demo disc...

Soul4ger

I said it in another thread, the game has enormous appeal. This and Taiko are going to be the sleepers of the season.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I want this game so badly, but I doubt I'll be able to afford it. :(

I'm surprised I liked it so much, since I haven't touched my gamecube in a year and a half. I like to bring that up a lot, for some reason.

BuddyChrist83 said:
Word is Jungle Beat will be a full-priced game and will not include the bongos. While I don't agree with this, I can understand it, and hell, Jungle Beat's easily worth $50. I'll probably end up paying more for the import anyways. So buy your bongos now - remember what happened when people held off on buying the Sambe de Amigo maracas?

I really applaud Nintendo for putting Konga in the kiosks. It's a great attention grabber and the simple gameplay really captures people. Now if they'll just put Jungle Beat on the next demo disc...

BC83. Wario64 posted a link to an ad weeks ago. There is INDEED a bundle BONGO. And its wasn't hugely expensive.

you heard it hear (again). first. again.

I hope the bongo is included with the game; I'm definitely going to pick this up when it comes out.
This will be my first musical game (that I purchase).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does it have any Adam and the Ants songs? They were all about the percussion, and would make great donkey konga tracks.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
TheGreenGiant said:
BC83. Wario64 posted a link to an ad weeks ago. There is INDEED a bundle BONGO. And its wasn't hugely expensive.

For Jungle Beat? You're not just getting confused with Konga?

Pop'n Music -> Guitar Freaks/DrumMania --------> Taiko no Tatsujin --------> Donkey Konga
Have fun with your washed-out no-challenge sorry excuse for a music game >:)

AniHawk

Belfast said:
Taiko is the superior product. Only get Konga if you have the extra money. :p

Agreed, Taiko is a lot more fun. DKonga is more of an intro to the whole genre it seems. Donkey Konga is still really fun though. I just doubt exactly how well it will sell- it looks like Nintendo will be abandoning Pikmin 2, DK, and PM2 to favor BK, GE2, and MP2 style games.

Hah hah, just saw my tag.

Grubdog

Banned
AniHawk said:
Agreed, Taiko is a lot more fun. DKonga is more of an intro to the whole genre it seems. Donkey Konga is still really fun though. I just doubt exactly how well it will sell- it looks like Nintendo will be abandoning Pikmin 2, DK, and PM2 to favor BK, GE2, and MP2 style games.
Donkey Konga will sell very well, I predict well over 500,000 by the end of the year. And how are they abandoning Pikmin 2, DK and PM2 in favour of BK, GE2, and MP2? Because they have already shown one commercial for those three games? Right..

It only took a year, but Donkey Konga is almost here, i'm excited! When's the PAL version out, i'm hearing October.. which is only one month after the US release, woohoo!

AniHawk

Grubdog said:
Donkey Konga will sell very well, I predict well over 500,000 by the end of the year. And how are they abandoning Pikmin 2, DK and PM2 in favour of BK, GE2, and MP2? Because they have already shown one commercial for those three games? Right..

It only took a year, but Donkey Konga is almost here, i'm excited! When's the PAL version out, i'm hearing October.. which is only one month after the US release, woohoo!

I'm just thinking Nintendo is preferring to make their lineup this fall seem cool, and with the three games I listed, that would be working against them.

I know they'll most likely receive commercials, but I doubt they'll be pushed for the holiday season like some other types of games.

Keio

For a Finer World
I'm not complaining at all if Konga is "easy". Even Samba de Amigo was a bit too hard for the more drunk ppl at parties so Konga might work very well if it's easier to get into.

Courtesy of the NOE website...

PAL release: 15/10/04

PAL tracklist:

Code:
Lady Marmalade - Christina, Mya, Pink, Lil’ Kim 
Canned Heat - Jamiroquai 
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen 
Alright - Supergrass 
The Locomotion - Kylie Minogue 
Dancing In The Street - Martha and the Vandellas 
Para Los Rumberos - Tito Puente 
Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing) - Benny Goodman 
You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes 
All The Small Things - Blink 182 
Oye Como Va - Santana 
Louie Louie - The Kingsmen 
99 Red Balloons - Nena 
The Impression That I Get - The Mighty Bosstones 
Busy Child - The Crystal Method 
Tubthumping - Chumbawumba 
I Want You Back - Jackson 5 
Cosmic Girl - Jamiroquai 
Richard III - Supergrass 
Wild Thing - The Troggs 
September - Earth Wind & Fire 
Back For Good - Take That 
Hungarian Dance #5 in G Minor - J Brahms 
Turkish March - WA Mozart

The impressions make it sound awesome! I'd like to read more.. I can't wait to get this.

Thom

And tunes from Koji Kondo and friends @ Nintendo:

Code:
Super Mario Bros. Theme 
Kirby Green Greens 
Zelda (Latin version) 
Rainbow Cruise 
Battlefield 
Donkey Konga Theme 
DK Rap

Auron

Although some of the NOE songs are the same as NOA, some are different. I'm pretty sure Tubthumping isn't in the US version.

AniHawk

Auron said:
Although some of the NOE songs are the same as NOA, some are different. I'm pretty sure Tubthumping isn't in the US version.

I don't think so either.

Would be such a fun song to drum to.

WHY DON'T THE NOTES DISSAPEAR AS I HIT THEM!!!!!??!?!?!?

They do in the Japanese version. Why the fuck would they change something like this for the US? There's not a single music game out there where the notes don't dissapear as you hit them. They're only supposed to stay if you mess up and miss.

This was a problem at E3 and sadly it's still a problem with the store demo. I doubt it'll be fixed too.

AniHawk

StrikerObi said:

They do in the Japanese version. Why the fuck would they change something like this for the US? There's not a single music game out there where the notes don't dissapear as you hit them. They're only supposed to stay if you mess up and miss.

This was a problem at E3 and sadly it's still a problem with the store demo. I doubt it'll be fixed too.

Well I could always tell when I hit them. I didn't know they were supposed to disappear.

Shiggy

radioheadrule83 said:
And tunes from Koji Kondo and friends @ Nintendo:

Code:
Super Mario Bros. Theme 
Kirby Green Greens 
Zelda (Latin version) 
Rainbow Cruise 
Battlefield 
Donkey Konga Theme 
DK Rap

I'm sorry to tell you that the list changed a little bit:

1. Lady Marmalade
2. Canned Heat
3. Don?t Stop Me Now
4. Alright
5. The Locomotion
6. Dancing In The Street
7. Para Los Rumberos
8. Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing)
9. You Can?t Hurry Love
10. All The Small Things
11. Oye Como Va
12. Louie Louie
13. 99 Red Balloons
14. The Impression That I Get
15. Busy Child
16. Tubthumping
17. I Want You Back
18. Cosmic Girl
19. Richard III
20. Wild Thing
21. September
22. Back For Good
23. Hungarian Dance *5 in G Minor
24. Turkish March
25. Super Mario Bros. Theme
26. Donkey Kong Country Theme
27. Legend of Zelda Theme
28. Rainbow Cruise
29. Super Smash Bros. Melee Opening
30. Donkey Konga Theme
31. DK Rap

(According to www.just-cubed.de and NoE (on the G|C)

BuddyC

TheGreenGiant said:

You're confusing Jungle Beat with Konga.

Trust me folks, Donkey Konga comes with a set of Bongos for $50.

Jungle Beat, the platformer, is the same price and doesn't...at least as of E3. And given the reactions to the Donkey Konga store kiosks, it probably won't. This encourages sales of Donkey Konga and the additional Bongos. Slick, eh?

Deku Tree

BuddyChrist83 said:
Trust me folks, Donkey Konga comes with a set of Bongos for $50.

I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that it should be clearly labeled that way on retailers web sites (which it isn't at the ones I've visited: ebgames & gamestop). From reading their websites you'd think that you have to buy the drum separate.

Ronabo

What's the US song list?

I heard Devo's Whip It was on the track list.

Anyways, preordered already. With a second set of bongs.

wazoo

AniHawk said:
I'm just thinking Nintendo is preferring to make their lineup this fall seem cool, and with the three games I listed, that would be working against them.

I know they'll most likely receive commercials, but I doubt they'll be pushed for the holiday season like some other types of games.

DOnkey Konga took center stage at the Game Convention in Germany. I think, they will push it a lot.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Donkey Konga does indeed come with a set of bongos for $50. I was spoke with Reggie briefly about it after day 1 at E3. He said nintendo's goal is to get those bongos into as many homes as possible, which is why Konga was being released now, when it could have been released months ago. Wanted it's release and Jungle Beat's to be closer together, to keep that awareness level there. Again, the game and bongos ARE selling for $50.

hooo

boooy
StrikerObi said:
That really threw me off too when I started playing it. I kept thinking in that back of my mind that I was missing.

Also, if anyone wants to deal with a Mail in Rebate, EB has a coupon in GMR for a $10 MIR when you pre-purchase, not at the time of pick up. The cut off date is August 30th.

Memles

It's the equivalent of $40 American at Future Shop here in Canada, and I am tempted beyond belief. But, I am not willing to shell out the money for extra bongos, and doubt it would be as much fun alone.

I'll pick up Jungle Beat, get Konga cheap later.

Top Bottom