• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Gattsu25

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
It seems to be at the cost of reusing some voices for multiple races tho (like orcs and nords sounding the same same goes for wood and high elves).
Doesn't matter...both the beast races sound unique...sure it would've been better to have Orcs sound different than the other humans...but different types of humans or elves talking alike isn't completely unrealistic

Has any melee character been able to kill Gable the Traitor in the ship around the Mouth of the Panther (Forlorn Watchmen quest).

I totally killed the heck out of that guy with my fists [thanks, MAF!!]. He wasn't THAT hard, you just have to stay behind stuff so he can't hit you with his magic and then get in close for a few hits before running back to your cover.

Great Rumbler said:
I totally killed the heck out of that guy with my fists [thanks, MAF!!]. He wasn't THAT hard, you just have to stay behind stuff so he can't hit you with his magic and then get in close for a few hits before running back to your cover.

Also, Silence is your friend. Paralysis is your friend. Invisibility is your friend. There are a lot of good tricks to take down ghosts using one of these three strategies to start with.

LakeEarth

So I'm up north in those high regions of mountains, just looking around, when I see a very very inaccessible area on the mountains. I see a staircase with two bright torches on either side, but it wasn't coming up as an enterance to a cave or fort. So I finally get to it, and what do I find? Just a table with a treasure chest on it? Alright, what fine treasures await me, oh boy oh boy oh...

10 Gold
Silver Cup

Good one Bethesda.

Ecrofirt

LakeEarth said:
So I'm up north in those high regions of mountains, just looking around, when I see a very very inaccessible area on the mountains. I see a staircase with two bright torches on either side, but it wasn't coming up as an enterance to a cave or fort. So I finally get to it, and what do I find? Just a table with a treasure chest on it? Alright, what fine treasures await me, oh boy oh boy oh...

10 Gold
Silver Cup

Good one Bethesda.
:lol :lol :lol

LakeEarth said:

10 Gold
Silver Cup

Good one Bethesda.

:lol

It would have been great if there was a "Hastily Scribed Note" which read: "I owe you: One Phat loot!"

Meier

Great Rumbler said:

I was only level 4 when I tried him before, got up to level 7 now and have a few extra spells (still nothing like silence or paralysis though..) and I plan to try him again. Got the katana from the Blades, but now I need to get it enchanted so I can use it on him. Currently my only magic weapon is the Chillrend which is pretty weak.

So who is going to be the lucky poster that breaks the RE4 thread record? It's almost like Cal Ripken Jr. taking down Lou Gehrig's streak....

Post 5781 is the lucky number :D

Solo

Kung Fu Jedi said:
:lol :lol :lol Awesome!

Two questions:

1. I saw the little adoring fan guy after I became Grand Champion, but told him to buzz off. Does he show up again later on his own?

2. Where is that portal to teleport to the top of the Tower? Obviously some place close to the Mage Guild, but I haven't seen it. Looks cool!

1. Hes always back at the arena I believe, unless you kill him/let him kill himself (drowning FTW!)

2. It doesnt exist, sadly. Its a PC mod.

Solo said:
1. Hes always back at the arena I believe, unless you kill him/let him kill himself (drowning FTW!)

So there is no way to get to the top of the tower in the Xbox 360 version? This saddens me greatly :(

Solo said:
Not unless you jump train your acrobatics high enough to moonjump.

How much would you have to fortify your acrobatics to get up there? My last task in the game will be to stand triumphantly on top of the Imperial Tower and look down on the world after I have completed every task!

Well, except purchasing horse armor :)

is there anyway to kill a guard and not get fined? i mean really no one is around i kill a guard i still get other guards chasing after me :(

Solo said:

Ahh...PC Mod. Got it. I thought I must have gone blind since I hadn't seen it in the 360 version, but the view sure looks nice from up there! :)

Kabuki Waq said:
is there anyway to kill a guard and not get fined? i mean really no one is around i kill a guard i still get other guards chasing after me :(

If you can manage to get a guard into a fight with something else, you can kill him while he's fighting and not get fined.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Solo said:
Not unless you jump train your acrobatics high enough to moonjump.

I don't think you could get it that high.
Plus, there's no collision geometry up at the top of the tower, so you'd fall through once you got up to the top anyway.

SteveMeister said:
Plus, there's no collision geometry up at the top of the tower, so you'd fall through once you got up to the top anyway.

Sounds like a GREAT idea for the 4th
free
content download! Seriously, how could you build such a cool-looking tower in the middle of the continent and NOT allow the player to get to the top?!? :)

Meier

Oh man, I have serious Oblivion fever here at work.. and even though I get off in less than 2 hours, I gotta go meet up with my girlfriend then wait for her class to be over.. and tonight's 24...so I won't get to play until 10 at least. I'm dying here! :(

Meier said:
Oh man, I have serious Oblivion fever here at work.. and even though I get off in less than 2 hours, I gotta go meet up with my girlfriend then wait for her class to be over.. and tonight's 24...so I won't get to play until 10 at least. I'm dying here! :(

Lucky you - I don't get to play until Thursday night!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kabuki Waq said:

you could go to jail afterwards, but I'm guessing that's not what you were looking for.

I hate how you can't enrage regular guards. I guess that gets around the whole ordinator-cheesing from Morrowind though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
mmlemay said:
Sounds like a GREAT idea for the 4th
free
content download! Seriously, how could you build such a cool-looking tower in the middle of the continent and NOT allow the player to get to the top?!? :)

Well, the top of the Wizard's Tower is IIRC higher than the top of that tower, so you'll be able to get a good view from there :)

Speevy

Banned
Nerevar said:
you could go to jail afterwards, but I'm guessing that's not what you were looking for.

I hate how you can't enrage regular guards. I guess that gets around the whole ordinator-cheesing from Morrowind though.

I remember how killing one Ordinator made EVERY Ordinator want to kill you from that time forward, no matter what fines you paid or jail time you served.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
SteveMeister said:

You just shattered the illusion. :(

its just i need to kill the guard for the dark brotherhood quest. i mean im sure they set up the quest so i could kill her without paying hte fine but i cant think of a way .:(

Nerevar

Speevy said:
I remember how killing one Ordinator made EVERY Ordinator want to kill you from that time forward, no matter what fines you paid or jail time you served.

really? I guess I had forgotten. Most games of Morrowind by the time I was back in Vivic I could crush ordinators without really thinking about it, so over time I must have forgotten :lol .

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
SteveMeister said:
Posted a while back in this thread was the, I dont know if you should call it an exploit or a bug, but it let you jump ridiculously much higher than the tower using various fortify and weaken magicka pots, so high that the entire game map vanishes in fog and stays that way for seemingly forever. Applicable for both the 360 and PC versions.

jedimike

I think I'm approaching a point where my skill level is starting to pull away from the scalable enemies. I'm at level 26 and the only enemies that I feel really give me a problem are those Azkiban Trolls and for some reason Brown Bears. I smack the hell out of Mountain Lions and magic type enemies like Necromancers and Vampires are bested easily. Maybe it has something to do with my "Fry Daddy" - A Daedric Longsword with a 30 point flame smackdown attached and my "Bitch Slap" - An amulet with spell reflect.

I love the scalable system... I hope Bethesda keeps it. But it is nice to finally start "pwning" some enemies.

IJoel

With regards to the "Siege in Kvatch" quest:
WTF... I'm level 32 and I get to that quest, and boom... at least 10 high level enemies at once. I'm talking about Dremora Valkynaz + summons, Xivilai + summons, Daedra Spider + annoying tiny summons, Daedroths... insanity... It's like 3 Oblivion gate enemies, all at once running after me. I haven't had any issues with the difficulty, but this was near ridiculous. Not only that, but once those 10 initial enemies were beaten, more would show up. Good thing there weren't any Nether Lich around as those tend to be quite nasty.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
jedimike said:
I think I'm approaching a point where my skill level is starting to pull away from the scalable enemies. I'm at level 26 and the only enemies that I feel really give me a problem are those Azkiban Trolls and for some reason Brown Bears. I smack the hell out of Mountain Lions and magic type enemies like Necromancers and Vampires are bested easily. Maybe it has something to do with my "Fry Daddy" - A Daedric Longsword with a 30 point flame smackdown attached and my "Bitch Slap" - An amulet with spell reflect.

I love the scalable system... I hope Bethesda keeps it. But it is nice to finally start "pwning" some enemies.

I have zero problems with pretty much anything at my level (37). My main weapon is Umbra, which I've used since like level 17 and still havent' found anything better. Full Daedric armor, most of which either has Feather or +str on it, except the shield, which has 10% Shield spell on it. Necklace is +18str +18willpower, rings are 35% resist magic/35% magic reflect and +str.

The only things I can't kill nearly instantly are the few that scale with ya, namely Gloom Wraiths and Goblin Warlords. Long fights, those. I had 3 Goblin Warlords on me at once last night, took like 10 minutes to get rid of them and my armor was destroyed at the end. In addition to swinging my sword, I throw out a custom shock spell that first does 100% weakness to shock then does 30 shock dmg.

Your "Fry Daddy" sounds great!

Kabuki Waq said:
its just i need to kill the guard for the dark brotherhood quest. i mean im sure they set up the quest so i could kill her without paying hte fine but i cant think of a way .:(

Attack her and lead her out of town. Run from her until you find a monster like a will-o-wisp and let it kill her. You'll get out of it with a bounty of 40.

jedimike said:

How are you doing in the Oblivion gates? That's where I seem to have the toughest time (although it's still not too hard). The bandits and creatures in random caves are not much of a threat anymore at level 24, but the odd ghost or magician can still challenge me occasionally. I turned up the difficulty a few notches, but that just makes the Oblivion gates annoying so I've turned it back to default. Once I'm done with the main quest, I'm sure I'll bump it back up for the remainder of the quests.

gblues

Banned
mmlemay said:
How are you doing in the Oblivion gates? That's where I seem to have the toughest time (although it's still not too hard). The bandits and creatures in random caves are not much of a threat anymore at level 24, but the odd ghost or magician can still challenge me occasionally. I turned up the difficulty a few notches, but that just makes the Oblivion gates annoying so I've turned it back to default. Once I'm done with the main quest, I'm sure I'll bump it back up for the remainder of the quests.

The Oblivion Gates are cake once you memorize the path through the sigil tower. Just sprint the entire way up to the sigil stone and pray you don't die before you're teleported back to Tamriel.

Nathan

winalot

My game gets weirder everyday, I was just in the Mage's Guild in Anvil and noticed that an NPC was sitting strangly on his chair, sort of half standing. I go over to start a conversation and he has some kind of aneurism and drops dead in the chair and no one notices :lol
At first I thought maybe it was a quest but I could still continue my chat with his corpse and guessed it wasn't meant to be, haha.

Also my girlfriend's character's being charged for crimes she didn't commit, after a couple of hours play she had a bounty of 40 and apparantly stolen 80 items but she's not nicked a thing, no red hands in the inventory either.

Nerevar

winalot said:
My game gets weirder everyday, I was just in the Mage's Guild in Anvil and noticed that an NPC was sitting strangly on his chair, sort of half standing. I go over to start a conversation and he has some kind of aneurism and drops dead in the chair and no one notices :lol
At first I thought maybe it was a quest but I could still continue my chat with his corpse and guessed it wasn't meant to be, haha.

Also my girlfriend's character's being charged for crimes she didn't commit, after a couple of hours play she had a bounty of 40 and apparantly stolen 80 items but she's not nicked a thing, no red hands in the inventory either.

did she pick stuff up by pressing the left bumper? That apparently is the same as stealing in this game. I found that out the hard way.

Morning Star 8, 3E434 10:43 pm, Rockmilk Cave

1000177a4qb.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
2 awesome things happened today.

1. I went into Roxy Inn and there were a bunch of NPCs talking. 1 of them had a complete set of Daedric Armor (including helmet), another had a complete set of Glass Armor (including helmet), the rest had incomplete sets of glass and daedric armor. I could not believe my eyes. I literally hit the mother load. I put my speechcraft skills to use and lower the disposition of the person wearing the Daedric armor to zero. This in turn caused her to start attacking everyone else in the room (except for me). Chaos ensues, and before you know it everyone in the inn lays dead except for the master trainer for Heavy Armor (what luck!!!). I grabbed everything. Up until now I haven't come across that much Daedric Armor (I'm level 30 and all I had was a cuirass) and I was missing a glass helmet.

2. I used my glass armor and I made a set of chameleon armor using the altar of enchantment in the Arcane University. I applied 20% Chameleon to some glass boots, glass gauntlets, glass greaves, a glass cuirass, and my newly acquired glass helmet. The result? 100% chameleon. Now none of the enemies can see me even when I'm right up in their faces hitting them and I can steal objects without people even realizing it. My character is now beyond god-like.

Pellham said:
i found an npc at an inn wearing something chameleon because he was partially invisible. thought that was hilarious.

I'm finding invisible bears in the wilderness. That's slightly less hilarious.

How the hell can wildlife like bears and mountain lions have invisibility? Anyone else run into this?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'm finding invisible bears in the wilderness. That's slightly less hilarious.

How the hell can wildlife like bears and mountain lions have invisibility? Anyone else run into this?

There should be a fort nearby. I never found the mage there, but I did find his journal. Apparently he's experimenting with animal invisibility, amongst things!

Invisi-bear there kicked my ass.

Meier

Pellham said:
i found an npc at an inn wearing something chameleon because he was partially invisible. thought that was hilarious.

Might have been the orc npc that is involved in the quest for the lost husband.. Alorne or some such? in Chorrol (I think it was).

Citizen K

OK NEOGAF HELP ME!

Just got this game today. I need help deciding class etc. This is only my second rpg ever (kotor being the other). I've only done the first bit but now i am at the part where I have to choose race, sign and class and so wont be able to change it after this point.

All the numbers and different skills confuse me. Someone help me create my character! I will be focusing on melee combat (swords) but also want to dabble in magic. I will also be stealing. A lot. Not really bothered about stealth but I assume you need stealth to sneak aroung peoples houses and shit.

Anyway with this information help me choose the race, birthsign, create a custom class and choose the 2 major skill things and the 7 minor. Help me gaf!

Uncle

Question about Main Quest:

In the allies for Bruma quest, is it possible to get help from the imperial city or the guilds? I'm just wondering because my journal says that these are options, and I'm clueless how I could make my minions in the fighters guild go and help Bruma.

Top Bottom