• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

IJoel

Mejilan said:
Let us know. Also, try to mark WHEN the crashes occur to see if when can isolate them as video or audio related.

Morrowind was such a nightmare, to this day it has unresolved memory leak issues that would cause CTDs (crashes to desktop). And the less resources you had to allocate to the game, the sooner it would crash. It was always an eventuality and I HATED it when I used to play the game on my old rig.

I only mention it because Oblivion is like a complete 180. I've played through all of the TES games with low - middle end hardware, for its time. Though this is the first time I can call my computer high end, Oblivion has been nothing but stable. And for an initial Bethsoft release... it's a true feat!

I wish I could say the same. I have the 360 version, and after 75+ hours, I get lockups every hour or so, and sometimes more frequently. It baffles me how this passed QA validation.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
IJoel said:
I wish I could say the same. I have the 360 version, and after 75+ hours, I get lockups every hour or so, and sometimes more frequently. It baffles me how this passed QA validation.

Clear your cache?

LakeEarth

IJoel said:
Carry around less shit?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I had little hope for the 360 version, IJoel. The Xbox version of Morrowind was a fucking train wreck. Even the GotY edition. I was speaking solely of Bethsoft's PC track record, which was also quite bad. TES Arena, TES Daggerfall, TES Morrowind, and even the spin-offs, Redguard and BattleSpire where insanely buggy at launch, and some of those also for a long time afterwards.

IJoel

SnakeXs said:
Clear your cache?

I've tried this and it doesn't work consistently.

As for not carrying a lot with me, well, my weight is restricted to around 385 with a spell, though I usually carry up to my normal maximum (235,) and have gotten plenty of lock ups while under this normal maximum.

It's quite disappointing. I'm right now moving towards completing the main quest and getting done with the game.

99% of my lockups occur while loading a new area. I hope this is patched.

LakeEarth

IJoel said:
I've tried this and it doesn't work consistently.

As for not carrying a lot with me, well, my weight is restricted to around 385 with a spell, though I usually carry up to my normal maximum (235,) and have gotten plenty of lock ups while under this normal maximum.

It's quite disappointing. I'm right now moving towards completing the main quest and getting done with the game.

I'm talking about sheer number of items, not how heavy they are. I haven't had a freeze since I've stored away most of my potions and keys (which weigh nothing). But I'm not 100% if that's whats causing the freezing.

Maaan... 8 and some hours in, and I haven't even begun to scratch at this game. I've mainly just been goofing around, fighting in the arena, joining the Fighters and Thief Guild, doing odd jobs here and there. This game is awesome in its sheer scope.

Ecrofirt

Anyone know a surefire spot to get some garlic? I tried gonig back to a bandit encampment i know had some, but the new bandits there didn't have it on their tents.

belgurdo

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
Anyone know a surefire spot to get some garlic? I tried gonig back to a bandit encampment i know had some, but the new bandits there didn't have it on their tents.

Glarthir's house in Skingrad (paranoia quest) has some cloves in the basement

GreekWolf

IJoel said:

That's really weird, man. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Warning to those doing the Vampirism Cure quest: Do NOT, I repeat, Do NOT give the woman stolen ingredients because it will bug the quest. Several people at Gamefaqs have apparently confirmed that stolen goods somehow bug the quest preventing you from completing it.

Wollan

Vyse The Legend said:
Warning to those doing the Vampirism Cure quest: Do NOT, I repeat, Do NOT give the woman stolen ingredients because it will bug the quest. Several people at Gamefaqs have apparently confirmed that stolen goods somehow bug the quest preventing you from completing it.

Nooooo...

And it's too late. I don't have any prior saves. If anyone at Bethesda reads this than fix this asap with next patch(360).

jedimike

The problem with threads this big is that they are difficult to navigate... so forgive me if this has been asked already.

Mages Quest : Dark Fissure
I cleared out the cavern and searched everywhere for something to lead me to the next step. In the back of the cavern, there is a necromancer bed and a key that is for a cell. Couldn't find the cell, but the cavern appears to be cleared according to the map. There is an alter in front of the entrance to the cavern which is on the side of a steep mountain. The green marker says that the alter is my next objective, but there is nothing in it. Also, I'm supposed to be waiting for some kind of shooting starts or Northern lights or something.
Anyone know the trigger to let me continue this quest?

TIA

Rhindle

Wollan said:
Nooooo...

And it's too late. I don't have any prior saves. If anyone at Bethesda reads this than fix this asap with next patch(360).
If you aren't getting a dialogue branch to accept a particular item, it's usually because there is some obscure step that the game expected you to take that you managed to skip (e.g. you obtain an item by pickpocketting an NPC, when the game expected you talk to them or kill them). If you're having problems with the Bloodgrass, I would try getting some more Bloodgrass from a different source (buy it from one of the merchants in Imperial City), and see if that triggers the dialogue.

Rhindle

jedimike said:
The problem with threads this big is that they are difficult to navigate... so forgive me if this has been asked already.

I cleared out the cavern and searched everywhere for something to lead me to the next step. In the back of the cavern, there is a necromancer bed and a key that is for a cell. Couldn't find the cell, but the cavern appears to be cleared according to the map. There is an alter in front of the entrance to the cavern which is on the side of a steep mountain. The green marker says that the alter is my next objective, but there is nothing in it. Also, I'm supposed to be waiting for some kind of shooting starts or Northern lights or something.

TIA
If you found the
Black Soul Gems
in the cavern, just report back to the guy who gave you the mission.
The thing with the altar is just an optional side mission, I think.

jedimike

Rhindle said:
If you found the
Black Soul Gems
in the cavern, just report back to the guy who gave you the mission.
The thing with the altar is just an optional side mission, I think.

Nope, didn't find any of those... back in the cavern I go.

LakeEarth

MaestroRyan said:
hey guys i'm not using spoiler tags

i rented oblivion i am a cloudwalker class (destruction, light armor, heavy armor, speechcraft) and I recently saw septim die. Now I'm just chilling around cause i ain't eager to meet up with jauffre. i've been in prison a hundred times, i got the note to join the thieves guild. i've won a few battles in the arena and i'm into that stuff, i'm a brawler. what can i do to level up and such? any place i can go specifically? i've been to this one fort (glitchy/invisible) and sideways cave. i'm a level 1, is there anything i can fight in those places to get pumped up? also i wasted all my fucking gold buying ingredients to decrease health then i found out they couldn't be fucking equipped to my battlehammer of thor. fuck! oh and how do i join dark brotherhood/steal items without getting caught right before fucking midnight/kill people and get away with it
You have to sleep to level up.

Pellham

Banned
quick question, minor skills do not contribute to level ups, right? you have to level your major skills 10 times to get a level up?

cause if so, i want to start a new char with sneak as a minor skill, and then put myself in sneak mode in a corner somewhere and let the game sit for a while so i can get sneak up to 100 in the first dungeon without screwing over my level ups.

Pellham said:
quick question, minor skills do not contribute to level ups, right? you have to level your major skills 10 times to get a level up?

cause if so, i want to start a new char with sneak as a minor skill, and then put myself in sneak mode in a corner somewhere and let the game sit for a while so i can get sneak up to 100 in the first dungeon without screwing over my level ups.

Yes, only major skills contribute to level-ups.

Yusaku

Pellham said:

I'm pretty sure your sneak level increases only when you're moving.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mejilan said:
And pickpocketing/backstabbing, surely?

When you find a way to do that automatically while you wander off, lemme know. :)

Cheating's bad, mmkay.

Oops...I accidentally stole something from one of the Mages Guild (not sure how it happened as I'm an associate member or whatever, and in the other guilds I've been to I could pick up aparatus no problem). Can anyone direct me to the 'stuff' I need to get back in.

Also, I can't believe I'm over 80 hours in, haven't visited FOUR of the cities, and have only closed one Oblivion gate :\ I LOVE this game so, so much.

tegdf

Slartibartfast said:
Oops...I accidentally stole something from one of the Mages Guild (not sure how it happened as I'm an associate member or whatever, and in the other guilds I've been to I could pick up aparatus no problem). Can anyone direct me to the 'stuff' I need to get back in.

Also, I can't believe I'm over 80 hours in, haven't visited FOUR of the cities, and have only closed one Oblivion gate :\ I LOVE this game so, so much.

you go to that rominous(sp?) guy in the arcane university, he's usually there right where you enter, and he'll tell you what you need to do

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Vyse The Legend said:
You can tape the analog stick down and put yourself facing into a corner.

does the xbox have no way to turn on autowalk?

on PC, you can just get yourself in a corner, start sneaking, hit Q and walk away.

LakeEarth

Ahh this sucks. In Chorral there's a heavy armor trainer, but I let his sons die during the first mission I ever tried, so not only is he not available (just drinking at the bar all the time), he would be the one to tell me where the expert trainer is. So it looks like it'll be over-encumbered time for me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Fun RAI moment of the weekend: I was leaving Bruma, going north, and heard the familiar twang of a bow shot. Perplexed because the fight music wasn't playing, I headed in the direction of the sound. Coming over a small rise, I see an Imperial soldier shooting arrow after arrow towards something I can't quite make out. Thinking it was a bandit, I got to help him. Turns out, it's another Imperial soldier!

They are standing about 25 yards or so from each other, just filling the other man full of arrows. Suspiciously, there is a deer carcass at the foot of the 2nd guy. Suddenly, the 2nd guy topples over dead, a pin cushion of arrows in his gut, and one or two through his arms. Soldier A comes zooming over, loots the guy, the runs further north. Curious, I follow, coming around a bend just in time to see him shoot a deer dead.

Wierd, but I guess what happened is they went for the same deer and one missed, striking the other guy. Awesome, though.

76 hours in, no chance of me quitting. Once again: best game ever.

Big Nate said:
Fun RAI moment of the weekend: I was leaving Bruma, going north, and heard the familiar twang of a bow shot. Perplexed because the fight music wasn't playing, I headed in the direction of the sound. Coming over a small rise, I see an Imperial soldier shooting arrow after arrow towards something I can't quite make out. Thinking it was a bandit, I got to help him. Turns out, it's another Imperial soldier!

They are standing about 25 yards or so from each other, just filling the other man full of arrows. Suspiciously, there is a deer carcass at the foot of the 2nd guy. Suddenly, the 2nd guy topples over dead, a pin cushion of arrows in his gut, and one or two through his arms. Soldier A comes zooming over, loots the guy, the runs further north. Curious, I follow, coming around a bend just in time to see him shoot a deer dead.

Wierd, but I guess what happened is they went for the same deer and one missed, striking the other guy. Awesome, though.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that is scripted because I first heard about it from someone else on GAF. Then, it actually happened to me in the exact same way as both of you.

Meier

Has any melee character been able to kill Gable the Traitor in the ship around the Mouth of the Panther (Forlorn Watchmen quest). He just unloads on me with some sort of a drain spell that completely decimates me since I become burdened as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Seth C

Meier said:
Has any melee character been able to kill Gable the Traitor in the ship around the Mouth of the Panther (Forlorn Watchmen quest). He just unloads on me with some sort of a drain spell that completely decimates me since I become burdened as well.

Any help is appreciated.

If you tell me how to trigger that quest I'll gladly go try it out for you.

Now that I finally finished the main quest, I've really gotten a big sense of freedom. All the time I was playing before, I kept thinking about how I needed to save the world and all that. But now, I can do anything I want and not have to worry! So, I went out and bought a house. Right now I'm engaging in an anti-banditry campaign in order to raise money so I can furnish my house.

Is there anyway to make your house stay at the stable when you fast travel?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Meier said:

Any help is appreciated.

I didn't find him any harder than a Gloom Wraith. I just kept whacking away at him with my Umbra and he went down.

gblues

Banned
Meier said:

Any help is appreciated.

I wussed out and just moved the difficulty slider all the way to "easy", killed him, and then moved it back. I had the same problem as you.

If you can, get a weapon with a "silence" effect.
If you've closed any Oblivion gates, you may have a Sigil Stone that will add the effect for free.
That should counteract the drain magics. I'm sure a fire/ice/shock damage effect would work just as well.

Nathan

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ecrofirt said:
Weird. Every time I choose exit game now it clooses and then I get an Oblivion.exe error.

Same, recently. I'm not too concerned.

Perhaps the qqq console command might fix that. I'll give it a try.

Zensetsu

Vyse The Legend said:
Actually, I'm fairly sure that is scripted because I first heard about it from someone else on GAF. Then, it actually happened to me in the exact same way as both of you.

Yeah the exact thing happened to me up near Bruma. :lol

jedimike said:

You have to wait for
a certain night, I think its their version of thursday. What I did was just wait and check it every night at around midnight. On the right night, you will see a big pilar of light from the sky that falls on the altar. Then you will see some dudes come out of the cave and do stuff with the altar - (theres a note on one of their boddies that tells you how to make the black soul gems...you need to put a grand soul gem in the altar then cast soultrap on it, and it will turn into a black one.

Ecrofirt said:
Weird. Every time I choose exit game now it clooses and then I get an Oblivion.exe error.

This happens to me quite often too.

Okay, I've now completed the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests, so now I'm going to finish the Arena, and then try my hand at either the Fighters Guild, or the main plot. Pretty amazing that I have somewhere between 35-40 and I haven't done anything with the main story. I still have the Amulet of Kings. :D

Why aren't more developers copying Morrowind/Oblivion? I demand more massive, open ended single player rpgs!

Seth C

What are some dungeons that always have human (bandit/marauder) enemies? So far I know of Viverin and Sercen, two ruins, but there must be more.

Top Bottom