• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Crow

Spencerr said:
Sorry to be so lazy (I know the answer is probably somewhere in here already), but how do you get into the shrine quests?

Find a shrine, ask a worshiper what offering is suitable and when you should offer it. Do that, and the shrine will give you a quest.

snaildog

I read the character building guide, and I'm still a bit confused. So each stat has three skills associated with it, and each time you level up those skills, the stat will have +1 extra bonus when you level up, up to +5. So is it correct that if you level up all your minor skills heaps and heaps before you get the 10 major skills, you could conceivably have the +5 option in EVERY stat (although you can only choose 3 of course)? Or is there some limit to it, ie you can only have a total of +15 across all the stats?

So what I'm really asking is that if I want to bulk up say Endurance, Intelligence and Willpower, should I be trying NOT to level up any skills not associated with those, ie trying not to pick locks too often? Or does it not matter, as long as I get +10 across each skill group before I get 10 major skills and level up?

firex

The main things you want to do are:
Avoid leveling up a minor skill beyond 10 points (as you can't get more than +5 a level and it won't carry over)
Only raise the skills that will give you that balance of +5s in the 3 stats you want to raise for that level

If you can do those 2 things, you should have no problem getting the most out of each level.

Personally, I'm glad the PC version has mods that change the leveling system, though - basically, now when I build a skill up, it automatically translates that into stat gains based upon whether it's a major skill (+.5 in that stat) or a minor skill (+.35 in that stat). So I don't have to micromanage as much.

knitoe

mmlemay said:
Drink a lot of cheap wine - each one lowers your personality 10 points with each drink. That should work.

I am pretty much screwed on this quest with personality of 90. From what I read, you have to lower your personality to 20 or below. And, since you can only drink 5 potions at anytime until effect goes away, I can only it ever get it down to 40.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Can anyone get the item duplication trick to work on the xbox 360? It looks like it doesn't work. It looks like a lot of fun. I also can't be bothered collecting loads of Nirnroot >_<

winalot

kaizoku said:
Can anyone get the item duplication trick to work on the xbox 360? It looks like it doesn't work. It looks like a lot of fun. I also can't be bothered collecting loads of Nirnroot >_<
I played about last night with it and managed it with all the items I tried, super expensive shields and robes, glass longswords look cool in numbers, lol.
Apparantly you can only duplicate an item that you only have one of, that could be a problem with the Nirnroot, just drop all but one before hand.

EDIT: Just tried it with Nirnroots and it's a no go.

so...can anyone remember back in the Morrowind days how long it was after the game that adverts and info on the expansions came out? If I remember correctly, adverts and previews for morrowind expansions came up a few months before being released.

I am nearing the end of the game in terms of primary content (spells/equipment/key locations/monsters) and have that bittersweet feeling when a great book or series is at its end.

I'd like an idea of people's best guess for when an expansion is likely to be released or announced. Perhaps E3 will be the next source.

jarosh

my alteration stat is really low and i have NO spell to improve it. everyone wants to sell me spells that are at least 25, so i can't use them. where can i find some weaker alteration spells?

firex

Open Very Easy Lock, and the 5% shield spell (sorry that I don't know what it's called), or do the quest for the Cheydinhal recommendation and spam cast Bouyancy (though I don't know if you can't do that quest with sub-25 alteration, as I had 100 pretty early on in the game, but the spell seems weak enough to be a novice level spell).

Alteration, Illusion and Mysticism are IMO the easiest spell schools to raise up, because they cost very little magicka even at novice.

Uncle

firex said:
Open Very Easy Lock, and the 5% shield spell (sorry that I don't know what it's called), or do the quest for the Cheydinhal recommendation and spam cast Bouyancy (though I don't know if you can't do that quest with sub-25 alteration, as I had 100 pretty early on in the game, but the spell seems weak enough to be a novice level spell).

I did the quest but couldn't cast the spell. I just dumped all my stuff into a cabinet and dived in.

jarosh

firex said:

Alteration, Illusion and Mysticism are IMO the easiest spell schools to raise up, because they cost very little magicka even at novice.
yeah, but where can i get those spells? very easy lock, 5% shield?

Uncle said:
I did the quest but couldn't cast the spell. I just dumped all my stuff into a cabinet and dived in.
lol. i did the same thing.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm not sure if someone has already posted this in this thread or not, but I just wanted to put this out there.

I have found a great way to make money is as a Master Alchemist. Once you are one, you can make a potion from a single ingredient. I can go into an Inn, buy all their cheap ingredients, make a shitload of potions and sell them back to the guy. I'm making around 1000% profit which is pretty nice.

Anyway, easy way of making a few thousand gold quick IMO.

firex

I make loads of money off Alchemy and I'm not even a master yet! So I can imagine that Master just makes it even better. I can buy out ingredients from most NPCs, and then use those to create potions that sell for much more than the cost it took to buy all the ingredients. It's definitely the easiest way to make cash IMO.

jarosh said:
yeah, but where can i get those spells? very easy lock, 5% shield?

lol. i did the same thing.

I posted the link about three times in this thread to the Oblivion bible, but since you do such great photoshops I'll post it once more. This FAQ will answer your questions.

Oblivion Bible

And this is the spell that I have been using to raise my Alteration:

4: Cheydinhal
a: Trayvond the Redguard: Mage's Guild
Protect - Novice Alteration

The great thing about this game is all the different ways to approach things and everyone can play it differently. My Battlemage is cooking along at level 14 or 15 now, and I have yet to use alchemy at all. I should look into though, as furnishing my palatial estate in Skingrad is getting expensive! :lol

knitoe said:
I am pretty much screwed on this quest with personality of 90. From what I read, you have to lower your personality to 20 or below. And, since you can only drink 5 potions at anytime until effect goes away, I can only it ever get it down to 40.

I didn't think about that....I need to go ahead and do this quest before my personality gets too high! I'm sure that you can find spells/items/potions that lower your personality even more, and if not, you could create an item or a spell. I'm sure you're not permanently locked out of this quest.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
firex said:

Conjuartion is by far the easiest. Cast bound dagger, sheath sword, cast bound dagger again, sheath sword, repeat ad nauseum. Because the spell costs so little to cast, the simple animation of bringing the daedric dagger out and then sheathing it was enough for me to recharge the magicka I lost to cast it. I would just repeat that pattern casting it while doing the more mundane stuff (like walking around cities and towns) until I levelled conjuration 10 times for every level VERY quickly. Guaranteed x5 bonus in int for every level up. I got to 100 int by the early teens that way.

kaizoku

winalot said:
I played about last night with it and managed it with all the items I tried, super expensive shields and robes, glass longswords look cool in numbers, lol.
Apparantly you can only duplicate an item that you only have one of, that could be a problem with the Nirnroot, just drop all but one before hand.

hmm....can you give some instructions on how to do it? What I did:

pull bow back, hold RT and enter menu, equip different arrows, then drop item I wanted to duplicate (tried glass longsword), exit menu, fire arrow and nothing happens. One glass longsword on the floor.

Unless....you're supposed to keep pressing drop item...and loads drop out...didn't try that.

Nerevar said:
Conjuartion is by far the easiest. Cast bound dagger, sheath sword, cast bound dagger again, sheath sword, repeat ad nauseum. Because the spell costs so little to cast, the simple animation of bringing the daedric dagger out and then sheathing it was enough for me to recharge the magicka I lost to cast it. I would just repeat that pattern casting it while doing the more mundane stuff (like walking around cities and towns) until I levelled conjuration 10 times for every level VERY quickly. Guaranteed x5 bonus in int for every level up. I got to 100 int by the early teens that way.

I didn't start actively paying attention to my level up bonuses until level 20 so I'm playing catchup now trying to boost my intelligence and willpower. At least it's really easy to boost Alteration/Mysticism/Conjuration/Illusion/Alchemy when they are all below level 10 :) I'm at level 25 or 26 now and it's nice getting the 5 point bonus to each, especially since I maxed out Strength and Endurance a while back.

dante786

Banned
Hermaeus Mora shrine quest, for some reason they won't tell me what I need to even begin the thing, anyone know what im supposed to do here?

jarosh

mmlemay said:
I posted the link about three times in this thread to the Oblivion bible, but since you do such great photoshops I'll post it once more. This FAQ will answer your questions.

Oblivion Bible

And this is the spell that I have been using to raise my Alteration:

4: Cheydinhal
a: Trayvond the Redguard: Mage's Guild
Protect - Novice Alteration
thanks! my photoshops have increased your disposition and i didn't even have to rotate the wedge. speechcraft +1.

Is there a way to move the Collector Quest along? I got the message from him, went to meet him, he told me to keep an eye out for more statues, blah, blah, blah, but didn't give me any clues on where to look for more. Does that mean I just need to come across them when I explore?

Oh, and as for the chest in the Arch-Mage's chambers, the only thing I'd tried up to this point was the ninroots, which didn't work, but I thought you could only put ingredients in there. Are you saying you can duplicate other items too?

winalot

kaizoku said:
hmm....can you give some instructions on how to do it? What I did:

pull bow back, hold RT and enter menu, equip different arrows, then drop item I wanted to duplicate (tried glass longsword), exit menu, fire arrow and nothing happens. One glass longsword on the floor.

Unless....you're supposed to keep pressing drop item...and loads drop out...didn't try that.
You don't have to equip different arrows. You need to press A on your selected arrows twice as if un-equipping them. Other than that you seem to have everything else right :) I've also always looked straight up, don't know if it's necessary but gives best effect for raining items :lol

I'm guessing Nirnroots are a no because their quest items =/ But like I said, when I messed about everything else I tried worked.

kaizoku

winalot said:
You don't have to equip different arrows. You need to press A on your selected arrows twice as if un-equipping them. Other than that you seem to have everything else right :) I've also always looked straight up, don't know if it's necessary but gives best effect for raining items :lol

I'm guessing Nirnroots are a no because their quest items =/ But like I said, when I messed about everything else I tried worked.

oh thanks. Raining glass longswords? Awesome!! :D

you know what MOD would be awesome for Oblivion (just for a laugh) - GTA!

Imagine driving a car/motoribike around, or best of all a helicopter! would also be fun playing the game with guns as an alternative to spells/bows, perhaps conjuration of GTA style followers (mafia, gangsters etc). Assault rifles vs minotaurs.

Oblivion reminds me of GTA in that I can get lost just exploring the world and getting caught up in its atmosphere. I have a feeling that the Oblivion haters overlap strongly with GTA haters.

Meier

I wish it was a little easier to make money as a non-thief. Some of the armor I see on vendors is SICK but it's all much to expensive. I think I am up to 3500 gold now though (lvl 8).

winalot said:
I look forward to meeting him, the funniest conversation I've had with an NPC lately was a lodge owner in Anvil, Gold Coast. She was very happy to tell me that her beds were reserved for seamen :lol
I'm sure it was intended to be perfectly innocent.

my favorite was a female dark elf that asked me if I knew what the penalty for necrophilia was? you have several options. Saying 500 gold makes her respond, "great thats much better than morrowind'. :lol

my wife was watching me play, and asked me what necrophilia was? when I explained, she was shocked and wanted to know how I knew what it meant :lol

belgurdo

Banned
cleveridea said:
my favorite was a female dark elf that asked me if I knew what the penalty for necrophilia was? you have several options. Saying 500 gold makes her respond, "great thats much better than morrowind'. :lol

my wife was watching me play, and asked me what necrophilia was? when I explained, she was shocked and wanted to know how I knew what it meant :lol

lol your wife thinks you're cheating on her with cadavers

Uncle

cleveridea said:

Yeah that was pretty funny.

Me: -Is it a first offense?
Her: - Lets assume "no".

LakeEarth said:
You wanna hear a real WTF moment? I was fighting some random Ogre in the woods south of the Imperial City when I searched him, and he had 6 jumbo potatoes. I'm like ok, so I grab them, and the quest menu pops up. "Hmm, this is odd, I should hang on to these potatoes!" WTF indeed.
Thats funny, I spoke with a woman in an inn and she had her potatoes stolen! She put them out on window ledge to soak the sun (or something) and someone stole them! Find a nearby inn and speak to the lizardy looking woman.

Uncle said:
Yeah that was pretty funny.

Me: -Is it a first offense?
Her: - Lets assume "no".

yeah that was awesome. shows such attention to detail of people that really like what they are doing at elder scrolls. I wonder if the voice actors found themselves laughing and doing multiple takes.

Nerevar

Meier said:
I wish it was a little easier to make money as a non-thief. Some of the armor I see on vendors is SICK but it's all much to expensive. I think I am up to 3500 gold now though (lvl 8).

uh, being a thief is actually a really poor way to make gold, as there really isn't anything great to steal in the game. The best stuff to "steal" is actually oftentimes the stuff you can just pick up for free from a guild whe you join it.

The best way to get gold is to get to a decent level and go to a ruin with a lot of human bandits in it. They'll all have really high-level armor and weapons that you can sell for tons of money to vendors. Alternatively, you can level alchemy up to "master" and apparently you can then make potions with just 1 ingredient, which might seem a little cheesy / fun.

cleveridea said:
you know what MOD would be awesome for Oblivion (just for a laugh) - GTA!

Imagine driving a car/motoribike around, or best of all a helicopter! would also be fun playing the game with guns as an alternative to spells/bows, perhaps conjuration of GTA style followers (mafia, gangsters etc). Assault rifles vs minotaurs.

Umm...no. Just...no.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You should quit trying to change Oblivion into a different game. It's already great.

who said anything about changing Oblivion into a different game? just a MOD for a laugh, a bit of variety, then uninstall the MOD and play the game as originally intended. obviously. my suggestions are just for a laugh and something different. IMO the oblivion engine and world is so rich and detailed, it makes trying these alternative characters pretty compelling IMO. again just for an experience, not as core gameplay. that was the whole point of having the TES, to allow people to write whatever plugins. choice is good. MOD writers go nuts and create whatever you can dream up. why limit yourself to one person's limited mindset of what is permitted

LakeEarth

winalot said:

I'm guessing the Arch-Mages magic chest doesn't replicate Ninroot either.

cleveridea said:
who said anything about changing Oblivion into a different game? just a MOD for a laugh, a bit of variety, then uninstall the MOD and play the game as originally intended. obviously. my suggestions are just for a laugh and something different. IMO the oblivion engine and world is so rich and detailed, it makes trying these alternative characters pretty compelling IMO. again just for an experience, not as core gameplay. that was the whole point of having the TES, to allow people to write whatever plugins. choice is good. MOD writers go nuts and create whatever you can dream up. why limit yourself to one person's limited mindset of what is permitted

It's one thing, at least for me, to extend the core game play of a game by adding some mods. It's another thing to change that core game play to something completely different. Playing GTA in the Oblivion World, with cars and guns, has zero appeal to me. I'll play GTA if I want that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
OMG THIS GAME FUCKEN ROCKS

I'm playing it on my PC with a 6600GT. Goes without saying, i'm not getting the best visuals but its LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than fucken Morrowind.

I actually just recently played through Morrowind and beat it. I also finished some Guild Quests (not all of them). I do have some gripes with Oblivion.

1. I dislike how they changed the Quest and Log system. It feels kinda messy, unless i'm missing out on another screen. I liked how in Morrowind, it logged every topic in your journal so you could refer back to it. It seems like you can't do this in Oblivion

2. I disliked (at first) how you couldn't sell stolen items to regular merchents. Its not really a gripe anymore since it makes sense to sell the hot items to the Thieves Guild.

Also, it seems like Bethesda injected humor into this game. The first thing was some Argonian telling a Khajit joke :lol. Second thing I ran into was trying to break into a Very Hard caseing in the big Mages Guild in the Imperial City. The case had to glass daggers opposite of eachother and once I saw that (being very early in the game) my eyes lite up. I then proceeded the pain in the ass process of trying to lockpick this Very Hard lock...got it open...and found out they were Glass Dagger Replicas...worth nothing....

:(

dante786

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
OMG THIS GAME FUCKEN ROCKS

I'm playing it on my PC with a 6600GT. Goes without saying, i'm not getting the best visuals but its LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than fucken Morrowind.

I actually just recently played through Morrowind and beat it. I also finished some Guild Quests (not all of them). I do have some gripes with Oblivion.

1. I dislike how they changed the Quest and Log system. It feels kinda messy, unless i'm missing out on another screen. I liked how in Morrowind, it logged every topic in your journal so you could refer back to it. It seems like you can't do this in Oblivion

2. I disliked (at first) how you couldn't sell stolen items to regular merchents. Its not really a gripe anymore since it makes sense to sell the hot items to the Thieves Guild.

Also, it seems like Bethesda injected humor into this game. The first thing was some Argonian telling a Khajit joke :lol. Second thing I ran into was trying to break into a Very Hard caseing in the big Mages Guild in the Imperial City. The case had to glass daggers opposite of eachother and once I saw that (being very early in the game) my eyes lite up. I then proceeded the pain in the ass process of trying to lockpick this Very Hard lock...got it open...and found out they were Glass Dagger Replicas...worth nothing....

:(

I actually found the Quest and Log system a lot more manageable in this one, i thought Morrowind's system was a mess, this one keeps you up on your current and completed quests, and your active quest, everything is logged in there to go back to, isnt it?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
dante786 said:
I actually found the Quest and Log system a lot more manageable in this one, i thought Morrowind's system was a mess, this one keeps you up on your current and completed quests, and your active quest, everything is logged in there to go back to, isnt it?

Its good for when you want to look back on most recent quests but I liked the Topic System. Say theres a mine in Morrowind that I had to go to that started with an E. I go and do some other shit and forget the name. I can just into my journal, go to topics, click on the letter E and it shows me all the topics thats start with the letter E. I can click the topic and see what has been said with that topic ranging from the original conversation (that includes the Mines name).

The Quest system in Oblivion seems to not make it that bad but I would like it if I could refer back to Topics too instead of just the quests.

lachesis

I'm a Elderscroll newb.... and I also started this game last night. I've finished the initial tutorial quest - but I feel like I'm totally lost. I guess I'm too JRPG-minded where you have only finite things to do.

I've made my character too week, so she cannot carry stuff at all. Perhaps she will be able to when she's more lev'd up - but now, I'm kinda overwhelmed at the sheer scope of the game. I can see this game eating away 100s of hours of my life... my wife won't be happy about it... :lol

Nerevar

BlueTsunami said:

I'm pretty sure the log system works more or less exactly the same in Oblivion as Morrowind (i.e. everytime a conversation piece is flagged by the developers as being an important to a quest, it "logs" that piece of information to your quest log), except the quests can have their topics grouped together and categorized. I think Bethesda heard a lot of the complaints that the quest log was just too big and unwieldy in Morrowind, so they cut down on the number of times a conversation would write to your journal to just the important stuff. I personally thought it was pretty dumb how even pointless conversations about a quest in Morrowind would oftentimes cause a new entry in your log, and I certainly prefer the cleaner setup of Oblivion.

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean, you can't really search the Oblivion log like you could the "fixed" one in Morrowind. I don't know why they removed that.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
BlueTsunami said:
Its good for when you want to look back on most recent quests but I liked the Topic System. Say theres a mine in Morrowind that I had to go to that started with an E. I go and do some other shit and forget the name. I can just into my journal, go to topics, click on the letter E and it shows me all the topics thats start with the letter E. I can click the topic and see what has been said with that topic ranging from the original conversation (that includes the Mines name).

The Quest system in Oblivion seems to not make it that bad but I would like it if I could refer back to Topics too instead of just the quests.

Each Quest has a summery which allows you to quickly identify it, I couldn’t stand morrowinds journal system IMO it was one of the games biggest flaws.

You get so many quests that I found it impossible to keep track and organize them in morrowind.

Top Bottom