• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'm finding invisible bears in the wilderness. That's slightly less hilarious.

How the hell can wildlife like bears and mountain lions have invisibility? Anyone else run into this?

Up along the Red Ring Road North of Imperial City lies the settlement called Aleswell. Down the hill is Fort Caractacus. If you go into Aleswell, look around. You'll get force-greeted by someone you cannot see -- and from there you'll get a quest that will explain the invisible animals. The quest is called "Zero Visibility."

SteveMeister said:
Up along the Red Ring Road North of Imperial City lies the settlement called Aleswell. Down the hill is Fort Caractacus. If you go into Aleswell, look around. You'll get force-greeted by someone you cannot see -- and from there you'll get a quest that will explain the invisible animals. The quest is called "Zero Visibility."

Thanks. I'll have to look into that. Sounds interesting.

At least I now know that this wasn't some sort of random level scaling thing.

Sho Nuff

Banned
SteveMeister said:

Oh god, yeah, I remember that. I saw something invisible moving around -- I think it was a pig or something -- and I flipped out and started hacking away at it, and then the invisible farmer started bitching me out. Haw haw!

BTW, I just got this game yesterday. You guys are SICK. SICK! (In a good way.)

When I got out of the sewers, I saw the draw distance and just started laughing hysterically.

Uncle said:
Question about Main Quest:

In the allies for Bruma quest, is it possible to get help from the imperial city or the guilds? I'm just wondering because my journal says that these are options, and I'm clueless how I could make my minions in the fighters guild go and help Bruma.

I'm doing that quest now. I know that
Imperial City turns you down
, but I'm not sure about the Guilds. I wish my OCD would allow me to just skip these optional quests because
closing gates is the least fun thing in the game since each gate is so similar to the last (hello Diablo!),
but I just can't bring myself to skip them. At least I'm getting cool
sigil stones that I can used to enchant my weapons.

SteveMeister said:

That was the first quest I stumbled upon after exiting the sewers and going through Vilverin. What a great little quest to start the game!

Uncle

mmlemay said:
I'm doing that quest now. I know that
Imperial City turns you down
, but I'm not sure about the Guilds.

Yeah, I found that out too. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done about it. Like
closing all (not just the ones outside cities) of the Oblivion gates before talking to the man
. I'm just too lazy to try it out.

GreekWolf

Uncle said:
Yeah, I found that out too. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done about it. Like
closing all (not just the ones outside cities) of the Oblivion gates before talking to the man
. I'm just too lazy to try it out.
No, it's impossible to get anyone from the Imperial City to help you
in the allies for Bruma quest.

Some advice, though... if you're already in your late 20's or 30's when you get to this part of the quest, then you'd better
get as much help as you can from the cities. The daedra you'll be facing once you get to Bruma, are mostly Xivilai and Daedra Lords. You have to hold them off for several rounds, and if you don't have enough soldiers from the neighboring towns... it will be really tough

GreekWolf

Uncle said:
Same for the guilds? I'm trying to get all the help I can.
Nope.
But some of the cities will send more soldiers than others. I think Anvil and Chorral send more help, so you definitely want to close those gates. And I can't remember which town, but one of them will send the captain of the guard, who is a very strong character.

Uncle

raYne said:
The battle lasts maybe 5 mins ('till you have to leave), so there's really no need to get everyone you can.

Well I want to finish the quest too and I was just wondering about those two things. And I really don't like the Oblivion plane, so I wouldn't close any of them otherwise, and miss out on stuff as a result.

tegdf

I hated that Allies for Bruma quest,
i closed 5 or 6 gates before i had enough help for Bruma, it was boring as hell

When I got out of the sewers, I saw the draw distance and just started laughing hysterically.

Yeah, that really got me the first time too. It was playing the music with chorus in the background. A tear came to my eye, I think. :)

Great Rumbler's advice for closing Oblivion gates quickly: Put all your points on Speed and run like hell. Works everytime.

raYne

tegdf said:
I hated that Allies for Bruma quest,
i closed 5 or 6 gates before i had enough help for Bruma, it was boring as hell
Same here, just did it today as a matter a fact. Finally went back to the main quest after 85+ hours of play, just to get it done (and see the end) so I can get back to the other quests heh.

I think I did 5 as well, but yeah... the Oblivion Plane is soo boring. Get to the main tower, grab orb yadda yadda. Once you do it the first time you've pretty much seen all it has to offer. The only good thing being that you get to find a bit of cool stuff there.

Great Rumbler said:
Put all your points on Speed and run like hell. Works everytime.
Pretty much..

But I like killing everyone. Plus running is for pansies. :p

jedimike

How long does it take to be a vampire? I've contracted hemophilia whateveritscalled several times and I just used a cure disease potion and it was gone. Does it take a while before the disease becomes onset?

raYne

jedimike said:
How long does it take to be a vampire? I've contracted hemophilia whateveritscalled several times and I just used a cure disease potion and it was gone. Does it take a while before the disease becomes onset?
3 days.

ocelittle

Banned
I got another question...my speed is RED in my character profile...I've heard that by praying it'll fix it...but whenever I go to the main altar at any chapel it says I have sins.

how to I abolish my sins? I have no bounty or anything...

It's fuuuucked.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
ocelittle said:
I got another question...my speed is RED in my character profile...I've heard that by praying it'll fix it...but whenever I go to the main altar at any chapel it says I have sins.

It's fuuuucked.

You don't have a bounty?
Hmm, that is strange.

What are your infamy, fame scores?
Are you in the middle of a quest that might cause it?

Seth C

ocelittle said:
I am almost cured from Vampirism, all I need is 4 cloves of garlic (I have two)...

Anyone know where I can get some?

I traveled from town to town checking all of the shops. Either the inn or one of the alchemy shops should have them, though each usually has only one or two.

Seth C

ocelittle said:

It's fuuuucked.

Your fame is lower than your infamy. If you are keeping alchemy items, look through them. Various food will have a "restore" attribute. Find the one that is restore speed.

Edit - Record Tied!

ocelittle

Banned
Hmmm...
how do I restore fame?

That probably explains it actually...and I have a bunch of alchemy crap...anything in particular I should look for? I don't remember ever seeing one for speed.

Monk said:
I lost interest in this game. >_< I blame mmlemay. :p

*throws tantrum*

You are f'n hilarious. I still don't understand why you feel that way. Was it because you didn't close a couple of optional gates?

You can always start over with a new character!

Seth C

ocelittle said:
Hmmm...
how do I restore fame?

That probably explains it actually...and I have a bunch of alchemy crap...anything in particular I should look for? I don't remember ever seeing one for speed.

You don't restore fame, you just do things to give you fame, making it a higher number than your infamy. I'm not at home so I can't check which item it is, but scroll through and look for one to restore speed. I'm sure it is there. There is something to restore almost everything else.

ocelittle said:
Hmmm...
how do I restore fame?

You don't lose fame. You gain fame through being good and completing quests. You gain infamy from being very, very bad.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ginkgo Leafs Restore Speed, I'm not sure where you can find them though...

The Restore Speed spell can also be bought at Uravasa Othrelas in the Bravil Mages guild, its Apprentice Level Restoration

For future refrence, this guide at gamefaqs has a list of spells and where to find them
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/oblivion_balanced_char.txt

Search for "D: Spells by Location"

ocelittle

Banned
I guess doing the Dark Brotherhood first wasn't the GREATEST thing for my fame.

And now doing the Thieves Guild probably isn't helping matters.

I think I'm 0 Fame, 19 Infamy.

Spoiler for early part of the main quest...

Did anyone else refuse to give up their items when they reached the Mythic Dawn hide out? I refused and I ended up murdering everyone in the place, cleaning out their store room and pissing on the shrine to Dagon(not really on the last part, but I would have if it were possible :p ) :lol

I did it at about lv 16.. I had to save a lot because my Agent is a little squishy ;-;

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I'm having a problem with a [early] part of the Thieves Guild quests...

I'm working on the Independent Thievery quest. So far, I've fenced around 100 gold. When I got past 50, the quest was updated and it set to consult Armand outside Imperial City. So, I make that my active quest and travel to wear the green arrow is pointing. The problem is, there's nothing there were the arrow indicates. It's that same area behind the abandoned shack where we did the race earlier. I'm thinking that somehow he died throughout the course of the game but I have no way of confirming this.

Can someone help?!

xabre

Banned
Does anyone else playing an archer oriented class go through a shit load of arrows? I did the pale pass quest yesterday (the one given to you by the countess of Bruma for the madstone) and stocked up on arrows before I left (150 in all, 100 iron and 50 silver). Well about half way through the quest I ran out and had to melee the rest of the way; this was with re-collecting every arrow I could. The trouble is I often need to pump a good 10+ arrows into some enemies and more often than not I only get about half back.

So what should I be doing? Using better arrows? Taking a lot more?

Any arrow conservation advice?

Monk

Banned
mmlemay said:
You are f'n hilarious. I still don't understand why you feel that way. Was it because you didn't close a couple of optional gates?

You can always start over with a new character!

I already started the game 4 times over already just because i couldn't get the blance right for the highest difficulty...

Better arrows are always nice.. I find silver arrows to be a good balance between damage and expense, I apply poison to my arrows whenever I get the chance, and I always attack from a distance while sneaking.. so I can take most things down in about 3 shots from sneak.

What level are you and are you an archer archer or some kind of an assassin or a custom class?

My character is a level 16 agent, and I'm finding that I wouldn't be surviving my encounters if I wasn't a Master at sneak and an Expert at marksmanship. (can knock down enemies, so I keep shooting arrows while they are on the ground and they're usually dead before they can get up :lol )

bengraven

ocelittle said:
I guess doing the Dark Brotherhood first wasn't the GREATEST thing for my fame.

And now doing the Thieves Guild probably isn't helping matters.

I think I'm 0 Fame, 19 Infamy.

Ha, you're in the same boat as me, only my Endurance is also low and almost impossible to come by.

I found that the Alchemy shop in the Market District has Restore Speed potions every once and a while. Just wait 24 hours and go back in, maybe?

Minotauro said:

I'm working on the Independent Thievery quest. So far, I've fenced around 100 gold. When I got past 50, the quest was updated and it set to consult Armand outside Imperial City. So, I make that my active quest and travel to wear the green arrow is pointing. The problem is, there's nothing there were the arrow indicates. It's that same area behind the abandoned shack where we did the race earlier. I'm thinking that somehow he died throughout the course of the game but I have no way of confirming this.

Can someone help?!

ProTip - While you are fencing stuff, go ahead and get 1000 gold. All it takes is a couple of decent houses, especially if you find decent potions or books.

Ecrofirt

Minotauro said:

Can someone help?!

He only shows up after midnight.

Minotauro

Yeah, thanks guys but I figured it out on my own. I think what threw me is that it didn't mention anywhere that he was only available at certain times. Plus, the fact that there was a green arrow there regardless of whether he was there fucked me up.

Either way, thanks again and thanks for the suggestion mmlemay.

On another note, does anyone know where I can purchase the chameleon spell? The mages guild in Bravil (or Bruma, I can't remember) is supposed to specialize in Illusion but I can't find anyone selling it.

xabre

Banned
Robobandit said:
Better arrows are always nice.. I find silver arrows to be a good balance between damage and expense, I apply poison to my arrows whenever I get the chance, and I always attack from a distance while sneaking.. so I can take most things down in about 3 shots from sneak.

What level are you and are you an archer archer or some kind of an assassin or a custom class?

Lvl 13 standard archer. Have the majority of my points pumped into agility/speed (around 90 each). In combat I'll typically open with the 3x sneak attack damage bonus, after that I just keep my distance from the enemy and fire arrows while being chased around. It generally works well except for confined spaces and the amount of arrows I need to use.

My character is a level 16 agent, and I'm finding that I wouldn't be surviving my encounters if I wasn't a Master at sneak and an Expert at marksmanship. (can knock down enemies, so I keep shooting arrows while they are on the ground and they're usually dead before they can get up :lol )

Yeah I think this is what I need to do. My sneak and marksman are somewhere around journeyman or something. Any idea where some good trainers are for these skills? Also what types of poisons do you use and are they just what you make from alchemy?

Minotauro said:
Yeah, thanks guys but I figured it out on my own. I think what threw me is that it didn't mention anywhere that he was only available at certain times. Plus, the fact that there was a green arrow there regardless of whether he was there fucked me up.

Either way, thanks again and thanks for the suggestion mmlemay.

On another note, does anyone know where I can purchase the chameleon spell? The mages guild in Bravil (or Bruma, I can't remember) is supposed to specialize in Illusion but I can't find anyone selling it.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/oblivion_balanced_char.txt has almost everything you need. Print it out. It is your new bible. Since you are new, I found it for you:

Bravil - Ita Rienus: Mage's Guild

She also has a ton of other Illusion spells.

dante786

Banned
Question about one of the daedric shrine quests: On the
Namira's shrine quest, how am i supposed to go about making myself uglier or whatever so i can summon the bitch?

Pellham

Banned
Meier said:
Might have been the orc npc that is involved in the quest for the lost husband.. Alorne or some such? in Chorrol (I think it was).

nah it was a random npc in one of the inns. you could only talk to him about rumors.
i think the game might have randomized his gear, or maybe he found a chameleon ring off a bandit or something.

Minotauro

mmlemay said:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/oblivion_balanced_char.txt has almost everything you need. Print it out. It is your new bible. Since you are new, I found it for you:

Bravil - Ita Rienus: Mage's Guild

She also has a ton of other Illusion spells.

Fantastic, thanks for the link.

I actually have the official strategy guide which should include this information but doesn't. All it says is the specialization of each guild. Thank God the retard at Best Buy forgot to ring it through and I essentially got it for free.

Minotauro said:
Fantastic, thanks for the link.

I actually have the official strategy guide which should include this information but doesn't. All it says is the specialization of each guild. Thank God the retard at Best Buy forgot to ring it through and I essentially got it for free.

I use both the guide and that FAQ to save me time and annoyance when I'm playing. They are both great resources.

dante786 said:
Question about one of the daedric shrine quests: On the
Namira's shrine quest, how am i supposed to go about making myself uglier or whatever so i can summon the bitch?

Drink a lot of cheap wine - each one lowers your personality 10 points with each drink. That should work.

gblues

Banned
mmlemay said:
ProTip - While you are fencing stuff, go ahead and get 1000 gold. All it takes is a couple of decent houses, especially if you find decent potions or books.

Or just do what I did: rob all the book stores blind. :)

Nathan

Top Bottom