• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
lachesis said:
I'm a Elderscroll newb.... and I also started this game last night. I've finished the initial tutorial quest - but I feel like I'm totally lost. I guess I'm too JRPG-minded where you have only finite things to do.

I've made my character too week, so she cannot carry stuff at all. Perhaps she will be able to when she's more lev'd up - but now, I'm kinda overwhelmed at the sheer scope of the game. I can see this game eating away 100s of hours of my life... my wife won't be happy about it... :lol

The great this about this game is, how you proceed depends on your character. My character has Stealth and Security as its main points. So I start of training my Stealth and Security skills. I then begin stealing stuff from househoulds (i've been trying to stay way from stealing from merchents) and building a cashflow.

Buy better weapons and armor with my money and train the skills that are hard to train without trainers (Like the Blade, Armor and Blocking skills).

Its also good to look into Guilds for guidence. Just follow guild quests and you'll begin to find your way. I've currently taken up the Thieves Guild quests first.

All in all, it is VERY daunting when starting out in this game (especially if its your first time)

lachesis said:
I'm a Elderscroll newb.... and I also started this game last night. I've finished the initial tutorial quest - but I feel like I'm totally lost. I guess I'm too JRPG-minded where you have only finite things to do.

I've made my character too week, so she cannot carry stuff at all. Perhaps she will be able to when she's more lev'd up - but now, I'm kinda overwhelmed at the sheer scope of the game. I can see this game eating away 100s of hours of my life... my wife won't be happy about it... :lol

As you level up and put more points into strength, you'll be able to carry more stuff. Also, sell off the stuff you don't want, or aren't using, or simply drop things that are too heavy and not worth anything. You'll learn to manage your inventory after awhile, but for me, at level 15, I still have to decide which items are worth the weight to carry back and sell.

As for being overwhelmed, that's normal when you first jump into an ES game. I'd suggest heading to a town and talking to some people. You'll pick up a few quests, and that will get you going. Or join the fighters or mage's guilds, they'll give you some direction early on when you're still learning things. From there, you can work on the main quest as you see fit, or just go tomb raiding. You'll get a grasp of it soon enough.

BlueTsunami

Nerevar said:
Edit: Ah, I see what you mean, you can't really search the Oblivion log like you could the "fixed" one in Morrowind. I don't know why they removed that.

Yep, this is exactly what I mean. Though, thinking about it, choosing Quests as topics and seeing conversations based on that Quest specificly is better than how they did it in Morrowind. I just liked logging all conversations so I can read them back if I needed to.

lachesis

Kung Fu Jedi said:
As you level up and put more points into strength, you'll be able to carry more stuff. Also, sell off the stuff you don't want, or aren't using, or simply drop things that are too heavy and not worth anything. You'll learn to manage your inventory after awhile, but for me, at level 15, I still have to decide which items are worth the weight to carry back and sell.

As for being overwhelmed, that's normal when you first jump into an ES game. I'd suggest heading to a town and talking to some people. You'll pick up a few quests, and that will get you going. Or join the fighters or mage's guilds, they'll give you some direction early on when you're still learning things. From there, you can work on the main quest as you see fit, or just go tomb raiding. You'll get a grasp of it soon enough.

Thanks for the advice! Will try out some stuff.

TheDuce22

Banned
I have created the ultimate character.

Redguard. Warrior birth sign.

Armorer
Conjuring
Blunt
Blade
Block
Heavy Armor
Alchemy

At level 25 I have maxed Int, Will power, Str and Endurance. Agility is pretty close. When I summon a faded wraith and poison my weapon, nothing stands a chance. Its not even close. Plus I never have to go back to town, its awesome!!! :lol

TheDuce22 said:
At level 25 I have maxed Int, Will power, Str and Endurance. Agility is pretty close. When I summon a faded wraith and poison my weapon, nothing stands a chance. Its not even close. Plus I never have to go back to town, its awesome!!! :lol

Nice, but I find Daedroth's pretty awesome (the giant walking crododiles!). What makes you prefer the wraith? atmosphere? it seemed to me the daedroth made other journeyman conjuror summon creature spells redundant. particularly nice to see those annoying will o wisps go down quick. did anyone find use of the other summons of the same level like clannfears etc.

my character is similar to yours, but I like sneaking up and backstabbing for 6x just for the atmosphere. then summon a daedroth as they give chase. I also had block, but find just moving back out of range just as effective (athletics = 70, speed = 100)

BlueTsunami

The biggest most bestest improvement in this game is the fucken fighting system. I HATED Morrowinds way of calculating hits and misses. Bethesda pretty much hit the nail on the head with Oblivion. It makes the fights feel much more (for lack of a better word) epic.

I love doing the peek a boo tactic with my Bow and Arrow. Go into sneaking (I'm already at 100 Sneak btw) and shoot an arrow (I did this to an IMP). Hit the IMP for 3x Damage (due to being in sneak mode) and hide behind something. Rinse and Repeat. This is a good tactic if your really low level.

TheDuce22

Banned
cleveridea said:
Nice, but I find Daedroth's pretty awesome (the giant walking crododiles!). What makes you prefer the wraith? atmosphere? it seemed to me the daedroth made other journeyman conjuror summon creature spells redundant. particularly nice to see those annoying will o wisps go down quick. did anyone find use of the other summons of the same level like clannfears etc.

my character is similar to yours, but I like sneaking up and backstabbing for 6x just for the atmosphere. then summon a daedroth as they give chase. I also had block, but find just moving back out of range just as effective (athletics = 70, speed = 100)

I thought about sneak but I hate running around in the dark. People would always see me coming since im constantly using torches and light potions. Im pretty sure the faded wraith lasts longer, also if you fight your summons its by far the strongest.

TheDuce22 said:
"I thought about sneak but I hate running around in the dark. People would always see me coming since im constantly using torches and light potions."

Get the Nighteye spell for times when you have to venture in the dark. That spell kicks major ass.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BlueTsunami said:
The biggest most bestest improvement in this game is the fucken fighting system. I HATED Morrowinds way of calculating hits and misses. Bethesda pretty much hit the nail on the head with Oblivion. It makes the fights feel much more (for lack of a better word) epic.

I love doing the peek a boo tactic with my Bow and Arrow. Go into sneaking (I'm already at 100 Sneak btw) and shoot an arrow (I did this to an IMP). Hit the IMP for 3x Damage (due to being in sneak mode) and hide behind something. Rinse and Repeat. This is a good tactic if your really low level.

The block system is nice too, the recoiling of when you hit someone who is blocking or vice versua, adds a significant level of timing to battle.

Gattsu25

Banned
cvkpaladin said:
Get the Nighteye spell for times when you have to venture in the dark. That spell kicks major ass.
Or do what i did, dungeon crawl a bit and find an amulet with a constant night eye effect, then hotkey it for easy access

snaildog

Anyone know of some mods out there which improve the magic interface? Even showing all the hotkeys down the bottom of the screen would be better than nothing. I hate just having the one spell button.

Ok I think I've found a bug in the 360 version. Either that or I'm just a moron and I'm missing something.

So I'm leveling up my Illusion magic skill so I can get night-eye at 25. Skill up to 25, and nothing happens. I don't move from novice to apprentice, and my night-eye spell says "you don't have enough skill" when I try to cast it. I level the skill to 30, and still a novice. Is there someone I need to talk to in order to get my skill level changed from novice to apprentice? I never had to do this with any of my other skills. As soon as I hit a multiple of 25, they would automatically switch on their own. I'm kinda stuck so any help would be super appreciated.

Azwethinkweiz said:
Ok I think I've found a bug in the 360 version. Either that or I'm just a moron and I'm missing something.

So I'm leveling up my Illusion magic skill so I can get night-eye at 25. Skill up to 25, and nothing happens. I don't move from novice to apprentice, and my night-eye spell says "you don't have enough skill" when I try to cast it. I level the skill to 30, and still a novice. Is there someone I need to talk to in order to get my skill level changed from novice to apprentice? I never had to do this with any of my other skills. As soon as I hit a multiple of 25, they would automatically switch on their own. I'm kinda stuck so any help would be super appreciated.

Is the skill number green? It probably is, which means you are wearing an item that improves your Illusion skill. Or, you could have a temporary enhancement, but that's not as likely. Take off all of your items and then check your skill again. You should see the true skill.

I'm also surprised that you haven't found an item with constant night eye effect...

Yeah, I can't believe I haven't found one either. It hasn't been a big deal since I have high lvl alchemy and can make night-eye pots when I need them, but sometimes I can't find carrots and I'm next to a cave and just wanna hit it up. I'll try what you said, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any items that give me +illusion magic skill.

edit: actually, does the dark brotherhood gear give you illusion? I've been wearing that for quite some time now.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
if you wear the brotherhood robe and hood you get somethign like +11 illusion. So if you have an illusion of 30, you really only have 19, which would be why you haven't changed to apprentice.

Westonian

I've found Life Detect pretty much makes Night Eye useless. The Gray Fox cowl has a Life Detect of like 1000 feet or something, which makes my guerilla marksman Wood Elf one deadly bastard.

To tell ya the truth, I don't like the Detect Life spell all that much because of the graphical effect it produces. The purple blob makes it pretty hard for me to actually see what the heck I'm fighting with no indication if the object I'm looking at is an ally or enemy. I would have much preferred some type of indicator, kinda like you see in GRAW, with just the outline of the enemy being highlighted. Would be much nicer IMO.

Westonian

Really? Maybe it's a graphics setting because even at a distance I've never had a problem discerning at what I was looking. I also use the marksman zoom all the time, and I suppose that helps.

Westonian said:
Really? Maybe it's a graphics setting because even at a distance I've never had a problem discerning at what I was looking. I also use the marksman zoom all the time, and I suppose that helps.

Might be. I'll have to play around in the settings once I get home from work today.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Cowl of the Druid works well too, though the Detect Life is only for 40ft and it drains your blade. On the plus side, it boosts your Alchemy and Marksman skills, so if putting poisoned arrows in people's back is your thing, it's a nice addition.

Westonian

I actually keep the Druid Cowl in my inventory because the Grey Fox will get you murdered. I forgot I had it on after the closing the Great Gate during the Defense of Burma quest. I come out of the gate and immediately start getting pelted by the guards of various towns. I tried to surrender just to avoid killing them, but my disposition was too low and my reflect damage armor killed all of them after awhile anyway. Poor guys. They survive the Oblivion onslaught only to die from a case of mistaken identity.

Speevy

Banned
I can't move!

There's a quest in which you're required to go to Fort Grief under the false pretense of getting an axe. Well, I've gotten the key, completed the quest, but when I leave it just freezes me there. I thought this jerk running around was going to walk up and say something to me, but he just runs around like an idiot. I can't open the menus, can't cast spells, can't sheathe a weapon. What do I do?

Westonian

Speevy said:
I can't move!

There's a quest in which you're required to go to Fort Grief under the false pretense of getting an axe. Well, I've gotten the key, completed the quest, but when I leave it just freezes me there. I thought this jerk running around was going to walk up and say something to me, but he just runs around like an idiot. I can't open the menus, can't cast spells, can't sheathe a weapon. What do I do?

Usually that means you're supposed to see some sort of cutscene.
In that particular area the Orc is supposed to kill the old man. Something isn't happening though. Did you kill the old man before you went into the maze?

Westonian

Speevy said:
Great, I just did a quick Google search and it isn't just me. Thanks a lot Bethesda, 3 levels lost.

3 levels? Have you been playing for ten hours without a single auto or regular save? I'm at 60 hours and I'm only at level 18.

Speevy

Banned
Westonian said:
Usually that means you're supposed to see some sort of cutscene.
In that particular area the Orc is supposed to kill the old man. Something isn't happening though. Did you kill the old man before you went into the maze?

Their fight doesn't really lend itself to that conclusion. He just runs around, while the man is above. Should I just wait until it happens? Maybe it will let me move, but I doubt it.

Westonian

Above? Where? The Orc has an archer lackey with him that should be on an upper level of the tower, but the old man should be on the ground floor and the Orc takes him out with a single swing of the sword. At least that's how it went down when I played.

Speevy

Banned
Westonian said:
3 levels? Have you been playing for ten hours without a single auto or regular save? I'm at 60 hours and I'm only at level 18.

No, I'm at level 16. But if this save doesn't straighten out, I've lost 3 levels. I also did a lot of quests between then and now.

EDIT: Nm, I started moving suddently for some strange reason.

Sander

I thought this was amusing. I was doing the Azura Shrine thing, early in the main quest, where you have to kill a few vampires. First vampire encounter was a doozy so I was pretty confident. Unfortunately deeper in the mine things went less smooth. Them vampires were ganging up on me, bashing in my skull and zapping my ass. I didn't really stand a chance with my usual elegant 'bash em till they die' strategy so I had to come up with something else. Sneak and magic aren't really my thing so I decided to do what any honourable knight would do, run like hell.

The basic plan was to get out of the mine after I'd been spotted, hop on my trusty horse with the baddies chasing me, high tail it back to civilization and hope the guards there would fancy some vampire smashing and help my sorry ass out of this situation. Letting others do the dirty work then pick up the reward yourself is always a good strategy in my book.

All was going well, I was galloping down the mountain making my way to the city with vampires right on my ass. Then I heard some shrieks coming from behind. Didn't think much of it, maybe they got a sunburn. I proceeded my descent of the mountain since I was too much of a wuss to stop and turn around. I mean they're vampires man, scary. So I got some distance between me and them and mustered up the courage to turn around to check how my master plan was proceeding. Instead of seeing the expected stampede of crazed vampires thirsty for my blood hurdling towards me, I saw this...

vamp1.jpg

Yup, they simply fell to their deaths and were slowly rolling towards me. Anti-climatic you might say, I say hilarious. What a pathetic way to go. Take that vampire scum. *loots corpses*

Later on I tried to do the same with the last vampire, but I think he realized the terrible fate his buddies had suffered and wisened up; he was afraid to go down the mountain and just stood there eating my fireballs.

vamp2.jpg

At least he didn't tumble down like an idiot and died standing up, good on ya mate.

gblues

Banned
I have an awesome idea for a gag quest that would take place in the Imperial City (to get the gag, you'd have to be familiar with Daggerfall):

Create an NPC with 100% chameleon named "Uriel Septim's Ghost." He would randomly pick an NPC, sneak up behind them, then yell "VENGEANCE!!!" (I'd rip^H^H^Hborrow the sound effect clip from Daggerfall, or re-record it in my own voice to avoid the Bethesda legal hammer).

He wouldn't actually be a ghost. In my quest, he'd be a prankster/independent thief using recent events to his advantage, and the quest would revolve around bringing him to justice. Maybe an alternate ending for recruiting him into the Thieves' Guild.

Nathan

BlueTsunami

Sneak @ Level 100 + Longsword of Shocking (or Dwarven Longsword) = <3

I just wiped out a dungeon full of vampires just by sneaking up to them and sneak attacking them :D. I love how they put emphasis on sneaking and silently attacking.

It sucks though, that they made it so you can only train from a trainer for 5 times a level. Though, thats an area that could be heavily exploited (like in Morrowind).

raYne

Quick Q for those who went the vampirism route (whether on purpose or not). Is the basic "feed on sleeping victims" the only feed you can do, or do you get more advanced methods further on if as you become more and more vampiric? 'Cause the feed as they sleep is really uneventful.... :/

I want to prey on unsuspecting townsfolk and attack them from behind and feed on them... only to vanish into the darkness!

DD-11 said:
I don't get it. They slipped and died on the slope or did the sun burn them?
Died from the fall. I've had it happen a bunch of times as well. Bandits, wolves, bears etc.

It never fails to be hilarious.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
gblues said:
I have an awesome idea for a gag quest that would take place in the Imperial City (to get the gag, you'd have to be familiar with Daggerfall):

Create an NPC with 100% chameleon named "Uriel Septim's Ghost." He would randomly pick an NPC, sneak up behind them, then yell "VENGEANCE!!!" (I'd rip^H^H^Hborrow the sound effect clip from Daggerfall, or re-record it in my own voice to avoid the Bethesda legal hammer).

He wouldn't actually be a ghost. In my quest, he'd be a prankster/independent thief using recent events to his advantage, and the quest would revolve around bringing him to justice. Maybe an alternate ending for recruiting him into the Thieves' Guild.

Nathan

Brilliant! :D

gblues

Banned
gblues said:

Nathan

Addendum:
The thief's M.O. would be to do the creepy "VENGANCE!!!" thing, which would cause the NPC to faint; then the thief pickpockets the victim. I'm not quite sure about this, I'm still working on the idea in my head. I wanna finish the MQ first, which I should be doing tonight.

IJoel

:mad:

I'm encountering a bug in the thieves' guild's last quest that's impeding my progress.

I get to the chair (imperial library) undetected, sit on it, get the quest note saying that i should wait for the scroll to be delivered, some moth monk comes by (he doesn't come until I sit,) and then the action music starts. The monk just stays there doing nothing, and my character is stuck to the chair.

I am so annoyed at the bugs in this game.

Brannon

.........*crack*

So I saw a $39 price tag on Oblivion (PC) and went for it, even with the issues of my substandardly powered rig (512MB RAM, Radeon9600 cheapster, 2.4ghz processor, amateur erotic story description of character). Installed and got issued a ticket for a low quality ride. Screw that, I thought I can handle some bloom (HDR not supported), and at least 1024x768. I thought.

TIME TO PALY!

And it doesn't look like those frightening pictures of ultra-low spec Oblivion The 8-Bit Adventures! BRING IT.

It brought it all right. The jail cell was beautiful. But now it was time to move. And move I did.

At 3 frames per second. With pauses. In a jail cell.

It was then that I knew; my machine needs more RAM, but until then, I decided to relent and push it down to 640x480 and no bloom. Sad panda for sure, but it at least runs decently, if a bit choppy. Made it through the dungeon, stepped outside and BAM, chop city. But that's okay, within a week, I'll have a gig of RAM and that will be the end of that.

Unless it's my card, then fuck.

EDIT: Were you aware that Circuit City is selling 12-month subscriptions to Xbox Live for $40? If I didn't already have a spare, I'd hit it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Adding more ram will improve performance, but I doubt it's going to make that much difference.

Top Bottom