• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DJ Brannon said:
.........*crack*

So I saw a $39 price tag on Oblivion (PC) and went for it, even with the issues of my substandardly powered rig (512MB RAM, Radeon9600 cheapster, 2.4ghz processor, amateur erotic story description of character). Installed and got issued a ticket for a low quality ride. Screw that, I thought I can handle some bloom (HDR not supported), and at least 1024x768. I thought.

TIME TO PALY!

And it doesn't look like those frightening pictures of ultra-low spec Oblivion The 8-Bit Adventures! BRING IT.

It brought it all right. The jail cell was beautiful. But now it was time to move. And move I did.

At 3 frames per second. With pauses. In a jail cell.

It was then that I knew; my machine needs more RAM, but until then, I decided to relent and push it down to 640x480 and no bloom. Sad panda for sure, but it at least runs decently, if a bit choppy. Made it through the dungeon, stepped outside and BAM, chop city. But that's okay, within a week, I'll have a gig of RAM and that will be the end of that.

Unless it's my card, then fuck.

EDIT: Were you aware that Circuit City is selling 12-month subscriptions to Xbox Live for $40? If I didn't already have a spare, I'd hit it.

oblivion exe uses like 400mb ram on my rig. a properly optimized winxp should be able to handle it on 512mb without going very deep into virtual memory hell. I'm assuming you haven't done that sort of optimization, though.

Anyway, 1gb ram is the sweet spot for a current PC, and I suggest you get it, but don't expect your framerate to suddenly be playable ;b

an xbox 360 is the most cost effective solution for you if you want to play oblivion as it should be played and don't expect to do much other high end pc gaming stuff.

According to the Gamespot benchmarks. The leap from 512mb ram to 1gb offers a pretty decent boost in performance (7+fps). Also, contrary to popular belief, there is no (zero) difference between 1 gb and 2gb.

Check it out here.

Also, Evilore and other pc gafer, Geforce 6800GS or X800GTO (has to be AGP)?

I guess I was spoiled by Fable, but I wish future/more RPGs would allow you alter your avatar's physical appearance (not just armor sets, but hair, weight, etc.) after the initial start of the game.....

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
eugh, I did the item duplication once yesterday and now I can't do it again no matter how I try. I want it to mess about with the item enchantment which I just gained. Can someone post step by step instructions as well as any other conditions which have to be met? God I feel like such a retard.

Regarding the item enchantment, how can you improve the stuff you can do? Seems my max magicka is 85, how do I boost that? Also about the weapon attack stat, say my glass longsword has a rating of 11, will the enchanted effects do damage ABOVE that or is that including the enchanted effects somehow?

firex

kaizoku said:
eugh, I did the item duplication once yesterday and now I can't do it again no matter how I try. I want it to mess about with the item enchantment which I just gained. Can someone post step by step instructions as well as any other conditions which have to be met? God I feel like such a retard.

Regarding the item enchantment, how can you improve the stuff you can do? Seems my max magicka is 85, how do I boost that? Also about the weapon attack stat, say my glass longsword has a rating of 11, will the enchanted effects do damage ABOVE that or is that including the enchanted effects somehow?
That's just the listed damage you do normally - enchants count for whatever other damage they say they do (x points of x damage and so on).

As for your max magicka, gain more int. Magicka is 2x your intelligence + any racial bonuses/birthsigns (and boosts from equipment/spells, but I figure you know that).

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
firex said:
That's just the listed damage you do normally - enchants count for whatever other damage they say they do (x points of x damage and so on).

As for your max magicka, gain more int. Magicka is 2x your intelligence + any racial bonuses/birthsigns (and boosts from equipment/spells, but I figure you know that).

Thanks, I was referring to the magicka cost of enchanting items though. My magicka is like 152 but when creating an item its 85....bit perplexed by that.

Is there anyone in the game who is supposed to tutor me on these things as I haven't found anyone....

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I ran into a tomb filled with Wraiths. Any tips? Level 24 Expert Marksman, Full Glass Armor, Enchanted Bow with 14 damage rating and 50 point drain Magika, Elven and Silver Arrows.

I have to pump at least two dozen arrows into each wrait to bring them down. After each battle, the arrows disappear. I went halfway in with over 300 arrows and now I'm down to less than 100. Ridiculous. The tomb is crawling with these bastards too.

I don't have any problems staying alive, but I'm going to run out of arrows fast and the idea of taking on two wraiths at once seems a touch dangerous.

Sniper said:
I believe the second last paragraph sums up everything.

http://wham.canoe.ca/360/2006/04/10/1528217.html

Wow. I guess he didn't like it much then! :lol That's the first review I've seen that hasn't been positive towards the game, but then again, I have no idea who the Canoe Network is. Take what he says with a grain of salt though, as he's more impressed with Fable than Oblivion, and says he doesn't enjoy Halo, Halo 2, or GTA:SA either. I wonder what games he does like.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I ran into a tomb filled with Wraiths. Any tips? Level 24 Expert Marksman, Full Glass Armor, Enchanted Bow with 14 damage rating and 50 point drain Magika, Elven and Silver Arrows.

I have to pump at least two dozen arrows into each wrait to bring them down. After each battle, the arrows disappear. I went halfway in with over 300 arrows and now I'm down to less than 100. Ridiculous. The tomb is crawling with these bastards too.

I don't have any problems staying alive, but I'm going to run out of arrows fast and the idea of taking on two wraiths at once seems a touch dangerous.

bust out a melee weapon or a staff i guess is your best bet, I only thought wraiths once but it seemed to me they didnt hit very hard (i didnt even bother blocking). if you really dont think they can kill you just use flare over and over again..

Or i guess you could get some potions together (drain health etc), magic seems to be much more effective than silver

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ghost said:
bust out a melee weapon or a staff i guess is your best bet, I only thought wraiths once but it seemed to me they didnt hit very hard (i didnt even bother blocking). if you really dont think they can kill you just use flare over and over again..

Or i guess you could get some potions together (drain health etc), magic seems to be much more effective than silver

Destruction doesn't seem to do any damage at all. Up close, they do a fair amount of damage, especially when there are more than one in the narrow halls and one of them is a Gloom. The're using glass swords or better and often score knock downs. They also cast what looks like hailstorm and another spell that looks like it would damage stats (green, but I've never been tagged by it).

I would rather not turn down the difficulty, but this is a bit much in the arrow consumption department.

Meier

Any other veteran Xboxers who have had their disc whir/buzz with this game or any game? It's only like 4 days old.. hope it doesnt crap out on me. :(

Zensetsu

Haha that reviewer is such a tool. To sum up "I don't like the style of play and therefore no-one else should. You don't have to read the books in game so why did they bother putting them in at all, it is a waste of time", whine whine etc. :lol :lol

And praising Fable for its rails and its "open endedness" (read: four slightly different voice over ending cut scenes).

:lol

He also complains about Oblivion having too many hours of play time... I don't know about those crazy Canadians at Canoe but I'm pretty sure I like getting my money's worth when I buy a game.

Sniper

Canoe Network is Canada's most popular online content destination.

I played Morrwind but just could not get into the game because of the bad graphics and they way the melee combat did not look or feel realistic.

I decided the get Oblivion anyways despite my bad experience with Morrwind and it has been the best gaming experience since Halo, Halo2 and Fear, and maybe my best game experience of all time.

I have been bragging to my buddies at work how incredible Oblivion is and it is just amazing that a game like this could even be created and then one of the pointed me to the bad review.

I just had to post it.

AzureRonin said:
He also complains about Oblivion having too many hours of play time... I don't know about those crazy Canadians at Canoe but I'm pretty sure I like getting my money's worth when I buy a game.

Yeah, I'm tired of games that you can beat in a not-so-busy weekend. I love the epic scale of Oblivion, and it feels like I've gotten more of money's worth out of this game than any game in a really long time, and I'm not even close to being done yet.

I guess sometimes it's nice to play a shorter game but really games are pretty expensive so I'd rather buy a game that gives me more play hours than hours I had to work to get money for the damned game.

WHAM idiot said:
But back to the complaints. Sure, a six or eight hour game may not be very much nowadays, but why would anyone want to play something for 60 or 80 hours or more? And as much as some people enjoy this game, how many of them do play a single-player game like Oblivion for that long?

Every single person on this board with Oblivion will probably play it that long. I'm already at 77 hours and I'm not even close to being done! Also, has this guy never heard of MMORPGs? Has he never heard of multiplayer games in all genres (FPS, sports, fighting, etc.)? Those games get played MUCH, MUCH more than 60-80 hours!

There are too many stupid quotes in that review to even get to, but a special :lol :lol :lol goes to the "why is alchemy in the game if you don't have to do it" comment. Wow!

Xdrive05

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Proof! Canadians have no taste! ;)

You know, that review would have been VERY different if you ride moose instead of horses.

:p

Or if all of the horse-mounted guards wore red suits and funny hats.

:D

Karg

While doing a Dark Brotherhood mission in Bravil (traveling mage that goes all over), instead of killing him I just frenzied him and had everyone else in the inn kill him. But one of the NPCs spouted this line

"Jump on my sword while you can, evil. I won't be as gentle!!"

Anyone remember where thats from? Thought it was funny that this was in here.

On a side note, frenzy is awesome. Its done so much of my DB dirty work.

is there a way to teleport in this game like morrowind? twice now I have got stuck on scenery in the dungeons, where its not possible to quick travel. first time was stuck in between some logs, second time behind a rock (one of those dungeons where some boulders appear in a scripted event). so both cases was a case of being stuck based on dynamic objects (logs, boulders) that had been moved by the game;s physics system rather than just static scenery.

also had about 3 loading lockups, not too bad for nearly 100 hours gameplay. great game.

IJoel

I was able to get past the last Thieves Guild quest last night by using another path to the location I had to get to. It was still annoying that I essentially lost more than an hour trying to get it done and couldn't because of a bug. I'm now done with all the guilds and have only to complete the main quest (48/50 accomplishments.) I have to say that I HATED the Thieves Guild's quests. They were extremely annoying.

Another thing is that the 100% invisibility spell is too powerful and easily abused. You can essentially use it for everything.

cleveridea said:
is there a way to teleport in this game like morrowind? twice now I have got stuck on scenery in the dungeons, where its not possible to quick travel. first time was stuck in between some logs, second time behind a rock (one of those dungeons where some boulders appear in a scripted event). so both cases was a case of being stuck based on dynamic objects (logs, boulders) that had been moved by the game;s physics system rather than just static scenery.

also had about 3 loading lockups, not too bad for nearly 100 hours gameplay. great game.

The scripted rockslides actually pin you beneath the rocks. Then Oblivion becomes a simulation of slowing starving to death, trapped beneath 20 tons of rocks at the bottom of a dungeon. Good news is that you'll still get about 100 more hours of gameplay out of it. :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I fucken contracted Vampirism!!!!11

:mad:

It was when I was sleeping in Bravil, at an Inn. A Vamp came into my room and bit me

and when I learned I had to find
4 Grand Soul Gems
as part of the quest for the cure, I seriously wanted to stab someone in the face. Fortunately though, with my amazing sneaking skills and lock picking skills, I have easily found
3 Grand Soul Gems. 2 in two random Mages Guilds and 1 in a store that sells Enchanted items in the Imperial City
. The abilities you get for Vampirism fucken rock though.

Sysgen

I went back and did the Castle Siege quest at level 31 that I was unable to do at level 21. Big difference. I also brought along a friend from one of the Fighter guild quests <That in itself is pretty awesome>. While not a cakewalk the battles that ensued with the multitude of varied Daedra were epic to say the least. So the poster who advised me that I wasn't at the right level to take on the quest pretty much hit it on the head. The fact that I became a master armoroer helped exceedingly as I was able to upgrade my trusty mace and my armor to 125%. In leveling I also improved much my magic and alchemy abilities which also played a role in my victory.

I haven't been able to play the last two days as my living room is being painted and there are drop clothes on everything and the furniture has been moved. I'm so sad :(.

BlueTsunami said:
I fucken contracted Vampirism!!!!11

:mad:

It was when I was sleeping in Bravil, at an Inn. A Vamp came into my room and bit me

and when I learned I had to find
4 Grand Soul Gems
as part of the quest for the cure, I seriously wanted to stab someone in the face. Fortunately though, with my amazing sneaking skills and lock picking skills, I have easily found
3 Grand Soul Gems. 2 in two random Mages Guilds and 1 in a store that sells Enchanted items in the Imperial City
. The abilities you get for Vampirism fucken rock though.

That's awesome! I've never heard of that before. Radiant AI FTW!

IJoel said:
I was able to get past the last Thieves Guild quest last night by using another path to the location I had to get to. It was still annoying that I essentially lost more than an hour trying to get it done and couldn't because of a bug. I'm now done with all the guilds and have only to complete the main quest (48/50 accomplishments.) I have to say that I HATED the Thieves Guild's quests. They were extremely annoying.

I'm almost done with the Thieve's Guild quests and I'm really enjoying them. There is more variety in the missions than the Fighter's and Mage's Guilds, and it goes by rather quickly (the other two seemed to go on and on and on...)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I wonder what games he does like.

He's clearly one of those people who only likes games that aren't well received critically. If a game is universally loved, he has to hate it on principle. There are tons of movie critics who are that way.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
He's clearly one of those people who only likes games that aren't well received critically. If a game is universally loved, he has to hate it on principle. There are tons of movie critics who are that way.

Wait, this guy loved Fable and hates on this game? :lol

What is this, Bizzarro world?

:lol He's a pussy. My uncle has never played an RPG in his life and he's not overwhelmed at all. He has questions here and there, but he's doing just fine. This guy is a pussy IMO.

Vyse The Legend said:
Say what? Did you travel back in time? :lol

lol What day is it again? Yes. I am an idiot! :lol

The funny thing is my desk calendar still says "Tuesday April 11". Guess I need to remember to change the pages everyday! :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
:lol He's a pussy. My uncle has never played an RPG in his life and he's not overwhelmed at all. He has questions here and there, but he's doing just fine. This guy is a pussy IMO.

I have several friends at work, you probably know the kind, the ones that only play SOCOM or Halo 2 to the exclusion of all else? Well, no less than 3 of them are now playing Oblivion and loving it. This "it's too hard cause it's open-ended" shite is just that, shite. These are guys that have never played a rpg and are totally addicted to Oblivion. I think that's a testament to the game design.

Like someone said before, the reviewer just hated on the game cause it is the flavor of the month. I doubt he spent much time with it before reaching his conclusions.

Big Nate said:
I have several friends at work, you probably know the kind, the ones that only play SOCOM or Halo 2 to the exclusion of all else? Well, no less than 3 of them are now playing Oblivion and loving it. This "it's too hard cause it's open-ended" shite is just that, shite. These are guys that have never played a rpg and are totally addicted to Oblivion. I think that's a testament to the game design.

Like someone said before, the reviewer just hated on the game cause it is the flavor of the month. I doubt he spent much time with it before reaching his conclusions.

I wish we could find out what his Gamertag is so that we could see how much he played it. In fact, that should be a requirement for all future reviews of final/retail product (I'm guess the prerelease stuff doesn't have achievements).

On a different note, this is the first Elder Scrolls game I didn't play on my computer. I spent tons of hours in Daggerfall and Morrowind on my PC, and even though my PC is quite capable of playing Oblivion, I decided I wanted it on my X360, and I'm so happy I did.

I do miss some of the mods for the PC, but honestly, I didn't use them that much. But for the hours and hours I'm putting into this game, I'm much more comfortable in my easy chair, and playing on a larger screen. Playing Daggerfall and Morrowind for that same length of time at my desk, was not nearly as comfortable. Moving forward, with Elder Scrolls V (Come on! We all know there will be one! :) ) I think I'll still get it on what ever console it is released on, just for the fact that I'm much more relaxed playing it this way. The HDTV doesn't hurt either! :)

BlueTsunami

I'm just happy we have Extremely open ended games like Oblivion but I think the hand holding JRPGs still have a place. I like going to Oblivion then going to very story driven JRPG like a Final Fantasy.

Bethesda did an excellent job of easing players into Oblivion. I mean the beginning drops you right into the Main story and guides you through all the mechanics of the game. What more do these pansies want? :lol

IJoel

BlueTsunami said:
I'm just happy we have Extremely open ended games like Oblivion but I think the hand holding JRPGs still have a place. I like going to Oblivion then going to very story driven JRPG like a Final Fantasy.

I agree... in theory. My issues with JRPGs stem from a lot of them being level grinding exercises and many having these annoying children stories besides the boring typical save the world plot and the ridiculously stupid and nonsensical characters.

But there are a few gems here and there that, while doesn't make up for the lot of crap that comes out, certainly makes me glad I decided to play them. Skies of Arcadia (this somewhat fits the above description, but it has a certain something that distinguishes it from the rest... charisma perhaps,) Panzer Dragoon Saga, and a few others.

{Mike}

Banned
xabre said:
Dumbest bunch 'o shit I've ever read.

You’ve probably heard nothing but great things about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Xbox 360, about how grandiose it is, how addictive it is and how it can suck you in and make you feel like you’re a part of its world.

I couldn’t disagree more. (--gayness starts--)

To me, Oblivion is on par with The Sims, only Oblvion has more fighting. Though some of the arguments those Sims get into can get pretty heated.

Oblivion, if you’ve been hiding under a rock on Pluto for the last year, is the latest in the Elder Scrolls series, and the followup to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. The Elder Scrolls series is known for putting you in a world that is massive and completely open-ended, resulting in play time that could very possibly reach the triple digits in hours played.

Unfortunately, it’s for this very reason that Oblivion is such a poor game – it’s just too overwhelming. Don’t believe for a second that this game is accessible to the ‘beginner’ RPG player. I’m not what you would consider a ‘hardcore’ role-playing gamer but I still love a good RPG. ‘Fable’ impressed me to no end and I actually think that that was one of the strongest games for the original Xbox. Fable itself is open-ended, but there’s still some semblance of order in it, with a beginning middle and end somewhat laid out for you. It successfully tells a story.

Oblivion, on the other hand, is just way too muddled. Yes there is a ‘main’ quest available for you to complete but the real reason most people buy this game is because of all the other stuff you can do. You could read page after page after page after page from books you find in towns and castles, hearing the stories of an endless amount of people and never even scratch the surface of what’s going on within Oblivion and the cities scattered throughout it. Other players told me that I definitely didn’t have to read any of these books in the game and in fact, they never did. So my question is – why include so many of them?

In addition, there are countless abilities, spells, potions, foods, etc, etc, etc, that you can learn to make, mix, match and use throughout the game. Pretty much anything you can pick up (and you can pick up a lot of stuff) can be mixed to make new potions, but if you want to remember what everything is, you’ll have to name each new thing individually.

And this is considered fun??

Again, friends who played the game told me you don’t have to do this and they never did. So again – why include this in the game if it’s never going to be used? Why allow bones and cups to be picked up at will when they seemingly serve no purpose? A colleague told me it’s so that if you want to, you can decorate your house with these things if you ever do acquire a home … but people rarely do that, according to him.

One more time – what’s the point, then, in having it in the game??!

Yes, I know there are some people out there who will do this, but the majority will not. No one I know has done this and none plan on it.

Now of course, it’s okay for a game to be open-ended – really it is. In fact, that seems to be one of the big complaints of gamers nowadays. They feel too locked in; I’ve said it before myself. But there’s a certain point where a game becomes a chore. I don’t want to have to spend 20 minutes just finding a shop to sell items (--not our fault if your not good--) (because I was constantly overencumbered with many items), only to realize that I have to somehow convince a person to trade with me (--err...no--).

There are plenty other annoyances as well here. If you want to equip certain weapons and/or spells to the D-pad, you’re free to do so, but this is a complaint I have from other games, especially first person shooters. Am I the only one who finds it difficult to move my thumb from the left analog stick (which you use to move), down to the D-pad, meaning you successfully have to stop moving completely if you want to change a weapon or spell? What if you’re in the middle of a battle and can’t afford to stop for even a second? You could use your right hand to activate the D-pad but it’s still very, very awkward. (--he's right on this one--)

Load times aren’t awful, but there are times when a new section of the map is loading up when the game will simply freeze for a few seconds. You could be right in the middle of a fight with an enemy but you’ll be forced to wait in limbo as the screen loads up. This completely takes away from the experience of the game. (--HELL YA COMPLETELY! DONT BUY THIS GAME THEY ARE LOADING AREAS!!! ! ! ! ! !)

Of course there are a few things going for Oblivion. There’s no arguing that it looks absolutely stunning, from the realistic faces on every character to the gorgeous scenery everywhere you turn. It could be day or night, inside a castle or on the middle of a farm; each environment is as enthralling as the next.

The orchestral music that play often is also fantastic. It isn’t played to death and it isn’t overpowering, which is especially good since you’ll be listening to a lot of people talking throughout the game and it’s just not the same when you have to read captions.

I also liked that I could jump from town to town with the simple press of a button if I had already visited it previously.

But back to the complaints (--wow he really hated it, such a n00b). Sure, a six or eight hour game may not be very much nowadays, but why would anyone want to play something for 60 or 80 hours or more? And as much as some people enjoy this game, how many of them do play a single-player game like Oblivion for that long? (--people who don't only play games to review them as quickly as they can--)

I know I’m not in the majority here with my opinion but then, I also didn’t like critically-acclaimed games like Halo or Halo 2 that much, nor did I fawn over GTA: San Andreas. To me, it’s more hype than anything. (--now I understand why this review is so biased)

I can’t suggest just renting the game, because that would be just stupid. What I’ll say is this: if you’re not happy with your life, you could always play Oblivion. Even in the video game world, it’s hip to be cool. (--I never red a gaming review ending with such a shitty commentary. It's astonishing. I'm speechless--)

Nice review indeed.

5/10 FOOLS!

BlueTsunami

What I&#8217;ll say is this: if you&#8217;re not happy with your life, you could always play Oblivion. Even in the video game world, it&#8217;s hip to be cool.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

I have a feeling this idiot got punched in the face every other day by jock football players in highschool while the cheerleaders spat on him.

LakeEarth

While games being too long can be a problem, they're only a problem when the gameplay gets dull after a while (which is why Kameo was the perfect length IMO). It just doesn't happen in Oblivion. It stays fun, you always want to do the next mission, see the next town, because in this game it is no cliche to say that you never know what's going to happen when you start out a new mission.

Top Bottom