• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

LakeEarth said:
While games being too long can be a problem, they're only a problem when the gameplay gets dull after a while (which is why Kameo was the perfect length IMO). It just doesn't happen in Oblivion. It stays fun, you always want to do the next mission, see the next town, because in this game it is no cliche to say that you never know what's going to happen when you start out a new mission.

Well said! And I agree. If Oblivion wasn't so well designed, and the quests/missions got very repetitive, than yes, I'd say it would be too long, but Bethesda did such a great job of keeping everything fresh, and the quests are so varied and well done. There is more variety in this game than any other I think I've ever played. Certainly in recent memory.

GreekWolf

:lol @ that "review"

How can anyone hate on Oblivion? It's the quintessential RPG. I remember back in 1994, when I was playing all those 2D sprite RPGs like Lunar and Final Fantasy 3. I used to fantasize about what role-playing games might look like in the future, with three dimensional virtual towns, forests and dungeons to explore. It was amazing to think that there might actually be a day when NPCs walked around town, each with their own independent AI, and converse with each other in full-spoken dialogue. And I never even dreamed about exploring caves and ancient ruins with textures so realistic, you could literally see every little intricate crack in the walls.

firex

kaizoku said:
Thanks, I was referring to the magicka cost of enchanting items though. My magicka is like 152 but when creating an item its 85....bit perplexed by that.

Is there anyone in the game who is supposed to tutor me on these things as I haven't found anyone....
oh, that's the strength/number of charges you're likely to get with that weapon. The more it costs, the less charges (but the more powerful the effect).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Garlic has to be the most fucken rarest thing in this fricken game. I'm trying soooo hard not to refer to other sources to find where I can find Garlic but holy shit, their NOWHERE to be found. I found like 2 bulbs so far....

:(

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
BlueTsunami said:
Garlic has to be the most fucken rarest thing in this fricken game. I'm trying soooo hard not to refer to other sources to find where I can find Garlic but holy shit, there NOWHERE to be found. I found like 2 bulbs so far....

what? I find garlic all the time. At one point in time I think had about 8 or 9 of them before I used them to make potions. I find them to be really common when I break into people's houses and search their basements and cellars.

BlueTsunami

Nerevar said:
I find them to be really common when I break into people's houses and search their basements and cellars.

Thats what i've been doing but i've just been finding Ginseng and Corn etc. No Garlic at all. I just referred to earlier in the thread and it seems Bravil and Anvil seems to have some. Garlic just seems really scarce.

raYne

Kastrioti said:
What level should I be before I go into the first
Oblivion gate?
There are Oblivion gates in Oblivion! [/non-spoiler]

Doesn't matter since the baddies scale to your level anyway. As long as you're comfortable with your equipment/skills you'll be fine.

Ecrofirt

BlueTsunami said:
Thats what i've been doing but i've just been finding Ginseng and Corn etc. No Garlic at all. I just referred to earlier in the thread and it seems Bravil and Anvil seems to have some. Garlic just seems really scarce.

There's some in Skingrad.
The alchemist has 2 cloves, and there's 2 cloves hanging from the fireplace in either the fighters guild or the mages guild

belgurdo

Banned
After playing with my machine for a few days and noting that my computer would reset or bsod whenever I try to use my scanner or occassionally use windows media player, and not just when I play Oblivion, I have come to the conclusion that my video card is dying. Anyone know a good place to get a cheap 6800 GT?

Ill be going back to playing my vanilla 360 version soon (don't ask why I bought this for both PC and 360-I just like coins), so I wanted to know what the best way to increase my character's speed without levelling up is. Are there special boots like in Morrowind?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
speaking of which, where does one go to find good alchemy equipment? I'm a "master" of alchemy at this point, but I'm still using novice / apprentice equipment to make my potions. Where do I find good alchemy equipment in this game?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Nerevar said:
speaking of which, where does one go to find good alchemy equipment? I'm a "master" of alchemy at this point, but I'm still using novice / apprentice equipment to make my potions. Where do I find good alchemy equipment in this game?

Shops will sell up to Journeyman, but master equipment is found in dungeons (not by me yet).

raYne

belgurdo said:
Are there special boots like in Morrowind?
Couldn't tell you exactly where I found it, but yes. I currently have some boots with a +7 (maybe 8) speed collecting dust in my cupboard of infinite space.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:

I'm a master too. I think the Bravil Mages Guild you can buy better stuff, and the stores in Imperial City I believe as well. Check out places you can buy that sort of shit.

Speevy

Banned
I'm also at in the 80s for speed. Every battle is just "Run up, hit, run back, run up, hit, run back." :D Of course, since my endurance is still in the low 30s, I barely have any health.

ant1532

Banned
k, well i was pretty hyped up for this game before launch since i watched an hour from that marathon play at Gamespot.com. I wasnt sure if i was gunna buy it though since it was 60 bucks andI never played an Elder Scrolls. Anyways i went to my friends that weekend and played it for about 5 min and really really didnt like it(i had no idea wat i was doin)

well mi friend just got it yesterday and loves it, so im givin it another chance since every is sayin this is the most amazin game.

Just rented it from Blockbuster, havent played yet but i found the instruction booklet hidden behind the cover slip lol. Im gunna start and see what all this nonsence is about.:)

ant1532 said:
k, well i was pretty hyped up for this game before launch since i watched an hour from that marathon play at Gamespot.com. I wasnt sure if i was gunna buy it though since it was 60 bucks andI never played an Elder Scrolls. Anyways i went to my friends that weekend and played it for about 5 min and really really didnt like it(i had no idea wat i was doin)

well mi friend just got it yesterday and loves it, so im givin it another chance since every is sayin this is the most amazin game.

Just rented it from Blockbuster, havent played yet but i found the instruction booklet hidden behind the cover slip lol. Im gunna start and see what all this nonsence is about.:)

The IGN method of reviewing games? It seems so.

Glad you're going to actually play it this time, at least.

ant1532

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
The IGN method of reviewing games? It seems so.

Glad you're going to actually play it this time, at least.
give me a break, we were in a hurry, and I was jsut like " let mi try oblivion out before we go" and i did and i was like, meh. All i actually did though was hit a guard and resisted arrest but then he killed me.

anyways im putin it in now(i was readin instructions)

BlueTsunami

Whoever had the bright idea to make the Vampire Cure Quest the way they made it needs to die. Ugh...I just found some more Garlic
(found some at the house place you go to right after you leave the dungeon at the start of the game). 3 bulbs were sitting on the guys desk :D

Now its time to find 5 NightShade leaves

For the Argonian I ended up
Going into River Walker? Argonian at night at her place and stabbing her. I then tried to chill her out but she ran out of the building and I fled also :lol

Wolffen

Sorry if anyone else has mentioned this in the near 6,000 previous posts, but has anyone else seen NPCs essentially blow stuff off tables in taverns/inns? I'm not sure what I did, but recently I bumped into a table and it was like I was a frickin' rhino: everything on the table flew off, like an explosion hit. Well, next time I'm in an inn, one of the NPCs is getting up from eating at the table and same thing happens. He bumps the table as he's getting up and forks, plates, cups, and bread goes flying to the ceiling.

I know it was my imagination, but I swear that NPC looked embarassed after that happened.

Seth C

BlueTsunami said:
Whoever had the bright idea to make the Vampire Cure Quest the way they made it needs to die. Ugh...I just found some more Garlic
(found some at the house place you go to right after you leave the dungeon at the start of the game). 3 bulbs were sitting on the guys desk :D

Now its time to find 5 NightShade leaves

For the Argonian I ended up
Going into River Walker? Argonian at night at her place and stabbing her. I then tried to chill her out but she ran out of the building and I fled also :lol

On the plus side, once you complete that quest you have infinite money.

raYne

IAmtheFMan said:
Is there any way to recharge enchanted items?
Every Mages Guild has a person with that capability. When you find them it'll be listed on the "persuade/barter/repair/recharge (duh)" menu on the lower section of the screen.

IAmtheFMan said:
Is there any way to recharge enchanted items?

What raYne said 'cept get ready to pay out of your ass. If you don't have the cash your best bet is using soul gems (or better yet, find a particular Daedric artifact) and charge it yourself.

raYne said:
Every Mages Guild has a person with that capability. When you find them it'll be listed on the "persuade/barter/repair/recharge (duh)" menu on the lower section of the screen.

Cool. Thanks guys. Haven't joined Mages guild yet, which I guess is the reason I haven't figured it out yet. :)

Brannon

Alrighty then, round 2.

Took Evilore's advice and tweaked my PC somewhat, defragged (should've did that anyway with a 5 gig install), shutdown unused processes, downloaded the latest drivers and of course rebooted.

Now it runs decent, but is looking a tidge bit closer to.... those pics.... than what I was seeing before. But only a tidge; it's still impressive, just no glowing shiny fields and rocks any more :(.

Which quickly turned to :mad: when I remember that dick of a bodyguard in the Imperial Sewers
took 'MY' sword that I 'found' on that dead captain and said he was going to put it in the hall of the Nine.
I mean, fuck that man, I grew attached to that thing during my dash to freedom. Whatever, then he wouldn't even let me
loot Patrick Stewart.

That's okay though, I'll be back one day. And on that day I will get what I'm owed. Also I'm going to sneak all the way inside the jail and kick that fucking jailer in the sack.

But for now, a noble quest, and a ninroot in my baggie.

BlueTsunami

I just went to some random fort South East of a certain town and found an Enemy with Ebony Cuirass, Ebony Shield and an Ebony Greaves :D :D :D

This is an upgrade from the same Armor Pieces but Dwarven. I've also learned that I can just Block while fighting enemies and up my Blocking skills easily. I love though, that I can take out an Orc with Ebony Armor but a fucken Mountain Lion and Mountain Bear still fuck me up.

Oh and I finally cured Vampirism...omg seeing the light of day is wonderfull. I don't know how people can stay as vampires.

Speevy

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I just went to some random fort South East of a certain town and found an Enemy with Ebony Cuirass, Ebony Shield and an Ebony Greaves :D :D :D

This is an upgrade from the same Armor Pieces but Dwarven. I've also learned that I can just Block while fighting enemies and up my Blocking skills easily. I love though, that I can take out an Orc with Ebony Armor but a fucken Mountain Lion and Mountain Bear still fuck me up.

I don't know what kind or armor you could be wearing that would protect you from a mountain lion or bear. Also, keep searching for bandits. Every last one of them has some nifty armor on. Not necessarily just ebony, but also glass, elven, etc.

BlueTsunami

Speevy said:
I don't know what kind or armor you could be wearing that would protect you from a mountain lion or bear. Also, keep searching for bandits. Every last one of them has some nifty armor on. Not necessarily just ebony, but also glass, elven, etc.

I've been selling off Elven Gear that i've found (I've kept my Elven Longsword). I'm still in pursuit of a Glass Longsword. I saw a couple of random guys in the Imperial City and a Small town with them but haven't attempted to snatch them.

As far as the Mountain Lions and Bears go...I just hate walking around the wilderness and being apprehensive about them. I guess I should get a horse.

Also...I did ride a horse for a while (stole it) and while I was riding around some big ass monster (that wasn't a Bear or a Lion) jumped out of the bushes and started chasing me...it spooked the shit out of me. I kept on running try to look back and it was still pursuing me....thats not cool....(I eventualy outran it)

firex

Suikoguy said:
Shops will sell up to Journeyman, but master equipment is found in dungeons (not by me yet).
I actually bought all the Expert stuff off different NPCs. But yeah, you have to dungeon crawl for Master. And it seems really rare.

BlueTsunami

firex said:
I actually bought all the Expert stuff off different NPCs. But yeah, you have to dungeon crawl for Master. And it seems really rare.

I actually found a Master Mortar & Pestle in a random Dungeon I went into....it had alot of Necromancers....

Zensetsu

I think the drop rate for alchemy equipment is rated to your level and your alchemy skill...so you have to be a certain level in the skill and as a character to find some decent stuff.

syllogism

Zensetsu said:
I think the drop rate for alchemy equipment is rated to your level and your alchemy skill...so you have to be a certain level in the skill and as a character to find some decent stuff.

Your alchemy skill is irrelevant

edit: yes, I meant it does not affect drop rates

Speevy

Banned
syllogism said:
Your alchemy skill is irrelevant

For that maybe, but with a maxed skill you get to make potions from one ingredient, which pretty much means that you can create the most potent stuff in the universe.

Pellham

Banned
so do NPCs magically upgrade their gear as you level up, or do they buy it themselves or take them off fresh bandit kills? (I noticed that Mazoga is wearing daedric armor and I had done her quest fairly early in the game when she was still wearing orcish)

syllogism

Pellham said:
so do NPCs magically upgrade their gear as you level up, or do they buy it themselves or take them off fresh bandit kills? (I noticed that Mazoga is wearing daedric armor and I had done her quest fairly early in the game when she was still wearing orcish)

Magic

Speevy

Banned
Pellham said:

If a character's inclination is to fight, they'll be just like any bandit/goblin/equipment-wearing monster in the world. They get better stuff as you level. On the other hand, guards seem to keep their stuff, and non-combat townspeople (those who don't walk around with swords) stay the same.

Rhindle

So has anyone here "completed" the game yet (in the sense of completing main quest + all guild questlines)?

I'm 5 achievements away. It's turning out quite a bit shorter than Morrowind, but a bit more fun along the way.

Speevy

Banned
Rhindle said:
So has anyone here "completed" the game yet (in the sense of completing main quest + all guild questlines)?

I'm 5 achievements away. It's turning out quite a bit shorter than Morrowind, but a bit more fun along the way.

Most of the quest's are freelance, from what I've seen. So I'll go back and forth from freelance to faction. I'll do the main one some day.

Rhindle said:

I got all 50 on the 4th. :)

syllogism

This sounds like a cool mod http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2876

Now, I present to you the solution known by pen and paper RPG DMs for years... instead of creatures that simply get more powerful with you, you get MORE CREATURES!

Yes, now there really ARE daedric armies. Now the necromancers truly are a threat. Cabals of conjurers outside the ethical laws of the Mage guild hide in their caverns, creating armies of Atronachs poised to strike. Bears hunt with their mates, and only the most egotistical of the Creature races dare venture into battle alone

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Irritating Mages Guild situation - any help appreciated:

The 2nd quest after you get into Arcane University where theres some kind of magical pillar in some Ayleid Ruin. I assume you have to cast 4 spells on it in the right order, I can manage Fire, Frost and then I draw a blank as I have no spells which fortify or damage magicka :( It provided me with some in a nearby chest but I squandered those testing various things and then seemingly getting the order wrong.

What is the order i have to cast the spells, and where/how can I get/make the other two spells/scrolls? As of now I can make fortify attribute and fortify skill spells but that doesn't cover magicka apparently.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
kaizoku said:
Irritating Mages Guild situation - any help appreciated:

The 2nd quest after you get into Arcane University where theres some kind of magical pillar in some Ayleid Ruin. I assume you have to cast 4 spells on it in the right order, I can manage Fire, Frost and then I draw a blank as I have no spells which fortify or damage magicka :( It provided me with some in a nearby chest but I squandered those testing various things and then seemingly getting the order wrong.

What is the order i have to cast the spells, and where/how can I get/make the other two spells/scrolls? As of now I can make fortify attribute and fortify skill spells but that doesn't cover magicka apparently.
Did you save before you used the scrolls in the chest?

Also, if I remember correctly, the order goes

Code:
2     3
1     4
   E

Where E is the entrance and the numbers are where translated words (fire, frost etc)

Actually, on that Mage Guild Quest
I don't believe it matters where you cast the spell from, just the order that you do it. It should be fire, frost, damage magica, enhance magica. That's the way it worked for me.

Oh! And we topped 6000 posts! Cool! :)

Top Bottom