• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Pellham

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I think the lady was the woman in Chorrol with the dogs. Not sure about that though.

Yeah I bumped into the dog lady in chorrol but she's different from the woman in the E3 demo.

Speevy

Banned
I love the way the characters have little after comments for every situation. At every stage of the quest, you'll be surprised at what people will say.

Also, listen for the "You're light on your feet." and "You're pretty handy with a blade." comments from everyone concerning your skills.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
sky said:
I experienced a funny Oblivion moment while playing last night.
I had killed a guard, and gone to the theives guild to pay off my bounty (for 1/2 price :)).

As I was about to leave the guild member's house, a few NPCs stormed in ... swords drawn and yelling. I saw guards, so immediately thought "oh great, they are still after me", and drew my weapon.

I then realized, they weren't after me at all.. they were chasing around some random dude! They scurried around the room, and back outside. I followed and watched as more guards stared chasing after the poor bastard. One other random guy joined in and started chasing the guards! (As if to protect his friend :lol).

I ran behind the train, and eventually caught up to them. The guards had slaughtered the guy, and left him lying there. (Of course I looted the corpse :lol). They passed by me and didn't do anything.

Perhaps this is not uncommon, but my first time seeing such a thing. Pretty hilarious at the time :p.

:lol

I've seen one Argonian in Bravil try to steal from two different people. One time was out in the open...he was trailing some woman, crouching in sneak mode of course. He got to her and she screamed at him...he tried to flee but a guard caught him. I'm guess he payed the guard his fine and got off since he walked away.

Another time was in an Inn. I was walking in and turned around and saw the same guy crouching. I started laughing as he snuck around the counter to the inn keeper and tried to steal from a chest around the counter. He got caught again and a guard came in...he also payed off his fine to that guard.

:lol

Oblivion rocks

Pellham

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I was under the impression that the woman in the demo was just that, a demo of what radiant AI could do.

yeah, too bad the game doesnt offer anything like it.

someone needs to mod it asap!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Speevy said:
I love the way the characters have little after comments for every situation. At every stage of the quest, you'll be surprised at what people will say.

Also, listen for the "You're light on your feet." and "You're pretty handy with a blade." comments from everyone concerning your skills.

I get "Look at the muscles on you" almost constantly.. from both men and woman :lol

I think I am experiencing a bug in my game during a Thieves Guild quest and I was hoping someone could help. I am supposed to meet
The Gray Fox
in a house in Chorral for the mission
Arrow of Extrication
. I walk up to the house and the guy is standing outside and tells me to go into the house because
The Gray Fox
is waiting for me. I walk into the house and my compass arrow turns green and points to a spot on the floor right in front of the bed but no one is in there! I've tried to do it at all different times of the day, and I even went and did a few side quests and came back to this mission and he's still not there.

I'm worried that this has broken my game and I won't be able to finish the Thieves Guild quests and get the last two achievements in that questline. I'm 85 hours in and I would REALLY hate to have to start over just to finish this questline.

Can anyone help?

Seth C

mmlemay said:
I think I am experiencing a bug in my game during a Thieves Guild quest and I was hoping someone could help. I am supposed to meet
The Gray Fox
in a house in Chorral for the mission
Arrow of Extrication
. I walk up to the house and the guy is standing outside and tells me to go into the house because
The Gray Fox
is waiting for me. I walk into the house and my compass arrow turns green and points to a spot on the floor right in front of the bed but no one is in there! I've tried to do it at all different times of the day, and I even went and did a few side quests and came back to this mission and he's still not there.

I'm worried that this has broken my game and I won't be able to finish the Thieves Guild quests and get the last two achievements in that questline. I'm 85 hours in and I would REALLY hate to have to start over just to finish this questline.

Can anyone help?

I'm doing that quest right now, but don't really know what to tell you. When I walked in that building he was standing right there.

Seth C said:
I'm doing that quest right now, but don't really know what to tell you. When I walked in that building he was standing right there.

F'n glitchy games. This will be the second time that I've had to play through an Elder Scrolls game twice because of a game-breaking glitch.

Seth, let me know if you are still looking for bandit caves.

lachesis

Probably early event for most of you guys - but I just rescued the painter from his own painted world - and the stylized trees, sky, and oil painted troll looked all fantastic. Since I'm only on level 2, it took a while trying to beat all 6 trolls, and escaped from the painting.

The sheer scope of this thing is so... gigantic, I can honestly imagine myself keep playing this game for a few years. I'm not sure I'm really up for it, but heck... it's only a game - and I have tons of games I haven't finished anyways. But I think I'll enjoy the ride till then.

Only thing bothers me is the loading time. It just feels like it's hanging... for no reason, and I thought it was another sign of my 360 being broken or whatnot. It eventually works though - and I also have loading issues in the field too. Normally it's just a hick-up kinda split second load - but sometimes it hangs on for about 5-10 seconds. I wonder what might be causing it and how to avoid such problem - if it's indeed a common problem for all 360s?

lachesis

lachesis said:
Probably early event for most of you guys - but I just rescued the painter from his own painted world - and the stylized trees, sky, and oil painted troll looked all fantastic. Since I'm only on level 2, it took a while trying to beat all 6 trolls, and escaped from the painting.

The sheer scope of this thing is so... gigantic, I can honestly imagine myself keep playing this game for a few years. I'm not sure I'm really up for it, but heck... it's only a game - and I have tons of games I haven't finished anyways. But I think I'll enjoy the ride till then.

Only thing bothers me is the loading time. It just feels like it's hanging... for no reason, and I thought it was another sign of my 360 being broken or whatnot. It eventually works though - and I also have loading issues in the field too. Normally it's just a hick-up kinda split second load - but sometimes it hangs on for about 5-10 seconds. I wonder what might be causing it and how to avoid such problem - if it's indeed a common problem for all 360s?

lachesis

Have you tried clearing the cache? It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but it's so damn huge now! :) Basically, hold down the "A" button when you start up you 360, and continue holding it until the Oblivion logo comes on the screen. It'll clear the hard drive cache and should speed up load times. It worked for me when I started to have a few long loads.

lachesis

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Have you tried clearing the cache? It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but it's so damn huge now! :) Basically, hold down the "A" button when you start up you 360, and continue holding it until the Oblivion logo comes on the screen. It'll clear the hard drive cache and should speed up load times. It worked for me when I started to have a few long loads.

I was beginning to suspect that it might be the disc cache myself... but I had no idea holding A would clear the cache. Thank you for letting me know. :)

Seth C

Problem with the last thieve's guild quest...

I get to the room with the chair I'm supposed to sit in. I've not alerted anyone to this point. However, when I sit down the music starts playing notifying me of "trouble," several monks come to surround me, and then I'm locked in to the seat. No one brings me the scroll.

Help? Suggestions?

mmlemay said:
F'n glitchy games. This will be the second time that I've had to play through an Elder Scrolls game twice because of a game-breaking glitch.

Seth, let me know if you are still looking for bandit caves.

Problem solved - thank God! He never appeared in the spot where he was supposed to, so I went to the house where I got the previous quest and he was just sitting in a chair. Thankfully, he gave me the new quest and everything seems to be working fine now!

LakeEarth

mmlemay said:
Problem solved - thank God! He never appeared in the spot where he was supposed to, so I went to the house where I got the previous quest and he was just sitting in a chair. Thankfully, he gave me the new quest and everything seems to be working fine now!
I had a similar thing happen to me in one of the Fighter's Guild quest. I was supposed to protect some girl, I was killing monsters in a cave, and when I got them the game said she was outside. But when I was outside, it told me she was inside (though the cursor was green). I cleared out the entire cavern and couldn't figure out what was going on. Luckily when I went to her house and she magically appeared behind me. Oh well.

sky

BlueTsunami said:
I've seen one Argonian in Bravil try to steal from two different people. One time was out in the open...he was trailing some woman, crouching in sneak mode of course. He got to her and she screamed at him...he tried to flee but a guard caught him. I'm guess he payed the guard his fine and got off since he walked away.
:lol :lol ! That is hilarious, I didn't realize the NPCs would actually just do that on their own. Awesome stuff...

Speevy

Banned
Guards will usually kill criminals, but I haven't seen them take down many named characters. Of course, if you want a character dead, just cast a Frenzy spell on him. He or she will go nuts and the guards will attack.

Citizen K

couple of early game questions...

is there anywhere i can store my stuff permanently (cant afford a house yet)? surely there is a permanent storage somewhere.

any ways of making big bucks fast?

Speevy

Banned
Citizen K said:

is there anywhere i can store my stuff permanently (cant afford a house yet)? surely there is a permanent storage somewhere.

Big bucks fast: Alchemy. Make spells like crazy and sell them. Search the hillsides for more stuff and make more spells. Sell them. Your alchemy skill will increase rapidly and you can get quite a bit of cash.

Permanent storage: I don't think so without a house, but I could be wrong.

Citizen K said:

Go to Leyawiin and talk to the count.
He'll give you a quest, when you finish he'll give you a place outside of town and $100 reward for every Black Bow you bring him (a special bow used by a gang in a certain dungeon).

Citizen K

Confidence Man said:
Go to Leyawiin and talk to the count.
He'll give you a quest, when you finish he'll give you a place outside of town and $100 reward for every Black Bow you bring him (a special bow used by a gang in a certain dungeon).

that sounds good. is that quest hard? i've only just started the game. i'm only level 2 but i suppose it wont matter since the enemies scale.

where is that dungeon tho? is it pointed out to you?

Citizen K said:
that sounds good. is that quest hard? i've only just started the game. i'm only level 2 but i suppose it wont matter since the enemies scale.

where is that dungeon tho? is it pointed out to you?

No quest is hard if you do it early enough. Yeah, they'll show you the dungeon.

LakeEarth

I'm worried about my 360, the loading is taking way too long (like 2 minutes to go to a new town), even with a cache wipe. I don't hear the drive think either. I had people talk to me, but their voices didn't come out until I talked to a few people :S Uh oh.

OH SHIT, 'Loading Area' takes like 20 seconds. I'm in trouble.

Citizen K said:
yeah but if i'm level 20 that'd make the enemy scale to 20 right? so it doesnt matter when u take the quest? or am i wrong?

Ideally, but you'll find that if you haven't improved your character in the right ways every mundane encounter will become a struggle to survive, whereas in the very early levels it doesn't really matter what kind of character you're using.

For example, you could start the game as a theif-type character who focuses on marksmanship as a primary kind of attack, and early on it won't take more than three arrows to kill anything you come across. There is hardly any danger at all in the world. Get up to level 10 and you'll find the relative amount of damage you can do with a bow is quite a bit lower. Once you get to level 20 you're pretty much forced to enchant it with damaging magic, otherwise it takes an extraordinary number of arrows to hurt something, even if you've built your character up to be the best archer possible.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
My game is starting to load real slow now as well, tried holding A when booting up etc but nothing. The disc drive seems to be pretty noisy too, only had my Xbox under a month or so. Wouldn't say it was heat issues as it does it when I first turn it on etc. Hope it clears up by itself...maybe if I unplug ethernet it'll speed up.

First real encounter where AI was pretty dodgy to say the least - Hackdirt

The mission where you have to rescue some Argonian daughter. They want to sacrifice her and so locked her up underground...one of them feels bad so gets me to rescue her.

So down I go, she's right near the entrance and everyone is in the main chamber of the cave so I'm pretty safe. I free her, return to Chorral and complete the quest. Easy o_0

But those guys pissed me off so I decided to return to check out what mystery they were hiding down there. For some reason the guy who tipped me off now keeps following me. Kind of alerts everyone to my presence....and I get swarmed by everyone in the vicinity. I manage to yield to about 2 of em but theres a few "brethren" who are berserk and I kill about 6 of em. Pretty easy prey, won fairly easily 6 on 1.

The other villagers just stand around doing nothing while I slay their brethren, loot their corpses and proceed to get all the treasure. The guy is still following me, and the other guy who follows you around town is now also on my tail. He attacks me when I go to open a chest, but if I yield he accepts. Repeat for each treasure chest. Sometimes he'd just start attacking me for trespassing but yields seem to work ok.

Other villagers just run when they see me. Apart from the villagers and corpses, nothing else below there, no "Deep Ones" to speak of. So I go back up and the next day all the villagers are back to normal as if nothing happened. No sacrifice was ruined, no one was killed, I did not discover their secret cult or rob any of their treasure. It was like a otal non-event. Feel like I missed something.

I'm considering going back there one day just to wipe them all out, especially that Hack guy who stalks you round town. It was fun getting him to follow me up to the tower and pushing him off.

GreekWolf

kaizoku said:
First real encounter where AI was pretty dodgy to say the least - Hackdirt
Can't really comment on the AI, since my experience in Hackdirt was completely different from yours.

But the reference to the "Deep Ones" is actually an Easter Egg.
It's a wink and a nod to the Call of Cthulhu game, based on the H.P. Lovecraft novel, and also developed by Bethesda. --> http://www.callofcthulhu.com/

BlueTsunami

Pellham said:
how exactly do you yield?

Yield as in try to calm someone you may have hit by mistake (a friendly NPC). Not sure about the 360 Version...but in the PC version you put your shield up and press the spacebar (I believe) while focusing on the NPC

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
how exactly do you yield?

Press Y when you're fighting someone, its pretty good for those times when you accidentally hit an ally and he gets mad.

Am i missing something with Soul Gems? I have empty ones, i have a mace with soul trap on it, but it seems like everything i can hunt now (level 25 i think) has a soul that is 'too large to fit' in any of my soul gems, whats that all about?

And i have larger gems that came with small amounts of charge in them (Think they are Greats with a petty charge) can you top them up with small enough souls?

I had a bit of an annoying moment earlier, I went to Bravil to try and find that little pussy Maglir. It was night so i thought i'd clear up some outstanding quests while i waited for morning, found that mournfull watchman (or whatever it is) quest in my journal, headed out to find his watch point.

When i got there it was gone midnight and he's supposed to turn up at 8, so i was supprised to see him there on the beach, upon closer inspection i saw he was actually laying down, my journal told me to wait around and see what he does, so thats exactly what i did.

I waited, and waited, 1/2 an hour went by, nothing happened, i thought maybe i could annoy him into doing something so i went and picked up a crab (slayed earlier) and dropped it on his face..it was then i noticed that the mournfull watchman....all glowling like a ghost should...was dead, for real, i picked his corpse up dragged it around (more out of frustration than hope), laid the crab on his genitalia, chuckled briefly at the image, and returned to town, cursing whatever had somehow managed to kill the ghost before i got there.

kaizoku

GreekWolf said:
Can't really comment on the AI, since my experience in Hackdirt was completely different from yours.

But the reference to the "Deep Ones" is actually an Easter Egg.
It's a wink and a nod to the Call of Cthulhu game, based on the H.P. Lovecraft novel, and also developed by Bethesda. --> http://www.callofcthulhu.com/

How was your hackdirt experience?? Thanks for the info re: deep ones.

Ghost - I just started the forlorn watchman quest myself...I went to the point at 8pm, there was a ghost, I decided to try talking to it but nothing, then he started walking to some point.... didnt know you could kill him. I bet if your quest is still active and you go back at 8 he will appear...

I have the same soul gem problem too, cant capture souls from those hackdirt scum! I have empty greater gems too so its weird. Maybe capturing human souls is abit too much?

My bro just had a really stupid experience. One of the fighter guild quests has you deliver weapons to some people in a mine who proceed to wipe out the goblin infested place. Problem is the people he was supposed to give the weapons to would not talk to him. They were locked in some animation where they are trying to get through a locked door to the goblins on the other side. The quest could not proceed until he handed over the weapons so it was quite a problem.

The solution was to pickpocket one of the berserked people for the door key, open the door, kill the goblin on the other side and THEN talk to them and hand over the weapons. Silly. My game seems screwy today.....

The Innsmouth, err, Hackdirt inhabitants pissed me off. They're dead, every single one of them. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. Except I must have missed one, because I got arrested as soon as I got back into town, and I hadn't done anything else that warranted my detention. Unless the Argonian I saved ratted me out. :(

Ark-AMN

Banned
There definately appears to be a bug in Hackdirt because i got arrested after I had killed all the people there, in self defense mind you, after freeing the Argonian. But apparently I got a bounty on me for doing all that, even though I was never alerted to that fact (and no imperial soldiers were around to witness it).

kaizoku

About hackdirt bounty, the stuff you can take in chests etc doesnt come up as steal, but when you try to take it you get a bounty and the hackdirt folks will call you a thief etc. Well...if they spot you you get a bounty, I assume if they spot you kill someone you get a bounty too. maybe they bountied you right before you killed em and I know some of them seem to refuse to fight so it was probably when you killed those ones.

It is really weird how you get a bounty when you do something in the middle of nowhere though.

I dont want to just kill those people, I want to make it so that they get wiped out in a special way, like killing each other or luring some monsters there to kill everyone. That will be sweet sweet vengeance.

BlueTsunami

I stumbled upon Hackdirt by mistake and went down below. I saw the cave with the Argonian and walked up to it. Before attacking the...Hackdirt..ian...I stopped crouching and approached him to talk. He attacked me. So I slaughtered a good portion of them and I don't have a bounty because of it.

I'm playing the PC version

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I loved the whole Hackdirt thing. I didn't even realize Call of Cthulhu was published by the same folks, but I totally got the HP Lovecraft vibe of it all.

My encounter with Hackdirt went like this:

I stumbled upon the town by accident, not having the "rescue my daughter" quest from Chorral. I poked around and at first I thought something might happen if I slept in the Inn, but alas no. I saw the trapdoors going underground, but wanted to figure out what was going on first if I could.

Found the Deep Ones book in the chapel. Waited until night to find everyone in the chapel. It was funny, they would run around erratically and basically tell me to get out. The one guy seemed like he wasn't sure he wanted to be there, but he never did much more than that. I found the diary in the drawers upstairs in the Inn (while the innkeeper was in the chapel), which basically revealed that they had kidnapped someone (or killed them, as I first assumed). Also, given the diary's contents, the horse "Blossom" suddenly made sense.

Went underground, got attacked, wiped everyone out, rescued the daughter, escorted her back to her mother (which is well worth it, free Mercantile!). Went back to Hackdirt and murdered everyone.

One last odd thing: When I first arrived in Hackdirt there was a dead Spriggan in the middle of town by the well. Anyone else see this? I assume it was just a random occurance.

LakeEarth said:
I'm worried about my 360, the loading is taking way too long (like 2 minutes to go to a new town), even with a cache wipe. I don't hear the drive think either. I had people talk to me, but their voices didn't come out until I talked to a few people :S Uh oh.

OH SHIT, 'Loading Area' takes like 20 seconds. I'm in trouble.

I had that happen to me. I put in Oblivion one morning a couple of weeks ago and all of the sudden everthing went out of wack. It took minutes to load, the sound was completely out of synch, the game stuttered and stopped, etc. I tried other games and everything else ran just fine but for whatever reason Oblivion was FUBAR. I then started to delete a bunch of Oblivion save files from the HD, reset the 360 for the umpteenth time and lo and behold it was working just perfectly again. I haven't run across that problem since.

Hope that helps.

Seth C said:
Problem with the last thieve's guild quest...

I get to the room with the chair I'm supposed to sit in. I've not alerted anyone to this point. However, when I sit down the music starts playing notifying me of "trouble," several monks come to surround me, and then I'm locked in to the seat. No one brings me the scroll.

Help? Suggestions?

Did you try talking to the Monks at any point? I figure that or having a bounty might be enough to do the trick.

Just finished that quest myself; have to applaud Bethesda on this one. It was really rough going. I gave up on fighting monsters because I had almost nothing left in the way of arrows, and had to resort to playing through the dungeons like it was a stealth game. Lots of rough moments as I'm creeping past dire wraiths and other big nasties and hoping nobody took a look my way. Hell, I even ran out of lockpicks and ended up extending my escape route a fair bit just to find a way out without a discrete lock.

I can't say I agree on the value of the award, but I suppose I shouldn't have expected as much as the good stuff I got through the dark brotherhood.

Oh, and mmlemay, are you sure the place doesn't have multiple floors? I seem to recall the fellow you're looking for lounging either upstairs or downstairs in the last few locations. Sometimes those steps are in the damndest locations.

Seth C

Crazymoogle said:
Did you try talking to the Monks at any point? I figure that or having a bounty might be enough to do the trick.

Just finished that quest myself; have to applaud Bethesda on this one. It was really rough going. I gave up on fighting monsters because I had almost nothing left in the way of arrows, and had to resort to playing through the dungeons like it was a stealth game. Lots of rough moments as I'm creeping past dire wraiths and other big nasties and hoping nobody took a look my way. Hell, I even ran out of lockpicks and ended up extending my escape route a fair bit just to find a way out without a discrete lock.

I can't say I agree on the value of the award, but I suppose I shouldn't have expected as much as the good stuff I got through the dark brotherhood.

Oh, and mmlemay, are you sure the place doesn't have multiple floors? I seem to recall the fellow you're looking for lounging either upstairs or downstairs in the last few locations. Sometimes those steps are in the damndest locations.

I solved my problem. You can't have any weapon equipped. Even if it is put away, if a weapon is equipped, when the monk comes downstairs, the music plays and the game is "locked up." You can load, but that's about it. You're stuck in the chair.

BlueTsunami

I just found out theres an
Indestructible Lockpick
for all you sneaks out there :D. I spoiled the fact that it exists (for myself) but I didn't spoil (for myself) on how to get it. That rocks though

firex

yeah, I just picked up that quest last night actually. Gonna have to get it (and the
reusable Grand Soul Gem
) on new characters I make, too, considering it only takes level 2 to get the quest.

Zensetsu

kaizoku said:
I have the same soul gem problem too, cant capture souls from those hackdirt scum! I have empty greater gems too so its weird. Maybe capturing human souls is abit too much?

Reguarding this, to capture human souls I believe you need a black soul gem. Generally you can't find them, you have to transmute them
from grand soul gems using a necromancers altar that has this special light on a certain day of the week. You come across it on a mage guild quest - this altar where a ceremony thing is happening. If you put a grand soul gem in it and then cast soul trap on it, when it is active (I think its on turdas night). It will turn into a black soul gem.
I believe thats why you can't soul trap demoras with regular gems either, because they are too humanoid.
I have made the black soul gems on the altar, so I know for certain that it works. I havn't tried trapping any human souls yet but I will test it out in a bit, I'm currently in the middle of a long quest. If anyone wants me to take a screenshot of the location of the altar let me know.

Bobety

I think i've encountered a big glitch...

I'm still stuck on this thieves guild quest where I'm supposed to be contacted by the gray fox after fencing over 600 gold. I've slept in every inn in every district of the imperial city as well as in the waterfront district many times, and waited and wandered around the city for several weeks now and still NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS

Anyone know if i'm doing something wrong or if theres any way I can contact him instead of vise versa? I really don't want to start another character for this line of quests because my current one has already completed all of dark brotherhood and hes damn cool :(

Top Bottom