• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just bought my first shack in Bravil for 4000GP :')

Also, your right Speevy, bandits have all sorts of items. I found a cave of them with a good amount of them equiped with Glass Weapons :D. I also found one with an Ebony Dagger (or was it Shortsword?). Anyways, i'm sorta kinda swimming in money. I also found a pair of greaves that have Water Walking as a constant effect :D.

Its hard trying to sell these items off though, I haven't found a merchant that has more than 1200GP to offer. I guess thats the point in investing in merchants though.

Edit: Also, if I ever DO get an Xbox360, I may end up gettting Oblivion for it (I really really want to play it on my BigScreen HDTV with all the visual turned up to orgasmic). Does the Xbox360 version support the Keyboard and Mouse in any way? I don't know how you guys can play with a controller

I was swimming in cash too, until I bought that 25k house in Skingrad! Then started to fill it up with furnishing! :) It's nice to have a place to store stuff though.

As for playing with a controller, I wasn't sure how much I'd like it at first either. I played Daggerall and Morrowind on my PC, and played them both to death. I went with the 360 version this time because I wanted to play it on my HDTV, and I don't regret it. I'm much more comfortable for extened play sessions in my easy chair, and once you get use to the controller, it works just fine. Only time I wish I had a keyboard is when I'm naming a new item/spell. Otherwise, it works great. And sitting in my La-z-boy with a wireless controller is awesome! :)

BlueTsunami

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I was swimming in cash too, until I bought that 25k house in Skingrad! Then started to fill it up with furnishing! :) It's nice to have a place to store stuff though.

Yep, I had boatload of items I've accumaleted on my person. I actually used the fence in Bravil to store some of my items at one point :lol. I'm also packrat and like to keep items for some reason....I think its a disease :( (I should take a screenshot of my Morrowind house...I have so much items just lying around on the floor)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
As for playing with a controller, I wasn't sure how much I'd like it at first either. I played Daggerall and Morrowind on my PC, and played them both to death. I went with the 360 version this time because I wanted to play it on my HDTV, and I don't regret it. I'm much more comfortable for extened play sessions in my easy chair, and once you get use to the controller, it works just fine. Only time I wish I had a keyboard is when I'm naming a new item/spell. Otherwise, it works great. And sitting in my La-z-boy with a wireless controller is awesome! :)

Well, I tried to get into Halo and whatnot with the controller and just couldn't do it with a controller. It feels way to ackwared for me. I guess I could adapt but being able to quickly point to something with a mouse makes it seem much more appealing to do it that way, especially in menu selections.

On another note. Bethesda are amazing when it comes to artwork with Armor in Weapons. The Ebony Dagger i've got is just so pretty to look at when your wielding it. I can't wait to see what Daedric Gear looks like :salivates

Rhindle

Kung Fu Jedi said:
How do you "fill up with furnishing"? I noticed that one of the items I dumped in a case in my home showed up on a mantlepiece shortly thereafter. Are there specific items in the game that are classified as "furnishings" that get displayed like that? If so, how do you identify them?

Also, is there any particular benefit to owning one house over another, e.g. the $25K spread over the $2K waterfront shack?

BlueTsunami

Rhindle said:
Also, is there any particular benefit to owning one house over another, e.g. the $25K spread over the $2K waterfront shack?

Its probably purely aesthetic. Unless the more nice your pad is, it increases your chance to take a damsel home and hit it from the back (IE FHUTA). Now thats a mini game I would play often...

Pellham

Banned
Oblivion is a far more complex game, design-wise, than Morrowind, that's why there's fewer quests in Oblivion (as it's a lot easier to throw quests together in Morrowind). It is pretty much a quality vs quantity arguement when comparing the games.

Each Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall has been following this path of quality over quantity anyway. The only real solution to get back the amount of content that previous games had is to allow Bethseda time to add more content through expansion packs.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if you'll be able to download expansions on the 360 or if you'll need to purchase a completely new package.

There's only so much space on a DVD, so I think they could put it online as a possible option.

Rhindle said:
How do you "fill up with furnishing"? I noticed that one of the items I dumped in a case in my home showed up on a mantlepiece shortly thereafter. Are there specific items in the game that are classified as "furnishings" that get displayed like that? If so, how do you identify them?

No benefits that I know of for owning a larger home over a shack, except for the fact that you can store more stuff in it. Unlike Fable, you can't lure a woman back to your home! ;) It's just a status thing I suppose.

As for adding furnishings, you can go to a local store, in Skingrad it's Colovial Traders, and buy furnishing that are then delivered to your home. You can buy an upgraded bedroom set for instance, and get a bigger, fancier bed, a couple of dressers/cabnets, bookshelves, etc. Same with kitchens, dens, storage chambers, etc. Lots of different rooms and options.

One thing that I wish you could do after buying a house is quick travel directly into it. That would be nice.

hellfire

Ecrofirt said:
To anyone who is a warrior/primarily uses swords and blunt objects:

How many weapons do you carry around? I always find myself with only 50 lbs or so of weight I can play around with, and I'm beginning to sonder if it's because I just have too many weapons in my inventory.

umbra - weighs zero and is more powerful than any two handed sword i've found so far (something like 33 atk @ 125 health, 100 blade skill)

i'm building up my blunt, so i use a daedric mace with absorb 9 health for 3 seconds. also have a daedric bow of silence with about 40 arrows (mostly enchanted)

when i head out i usually have about 200lbs of space with full daedric armor+shield. my str is buffed to about 111, and i used a transcendent sigil stone of feather 125 on the cuirass. oh, and my heavy armor is at expert, so wearing the heavy armor costs less than carrying it.

Speevy said:
I wonder if you'll be able to download expansions on the 360 or if you'll need to purchase a completely new package.

There's only so much space on a DVD, so I think they could put it online as a possible option.

My guess is that expansions will come the same way they did with Morrowind. They'll be released as part of the Oblivion: Game of the Year package or something. I doubt they will be downloadable.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
But you can fast travel out of one though. I didn't figure that out until last weekend.
Also, I've noticed that a few things that I put into a chest has disapeared on me when I have it packed with all kind of crap lately. So to be safe I've started putting stuff in different chests around the house.

Kindbudmaster said:
But you can fast travel out of one though. I didn't figure that out until last weekend.
Also, I've noticed that a few things that I put into a chest has disapeared on me when I have it packed with all kind of crap lately. So to be safe I've started putting stuff in different chests around the house.

Good to know! I wasn't aware of the fast traveling from within either. Thanks for the tip!

firex

Meier said:
I made a custom class with Mercantile as one of my main attributes and boy do I regret it. It goes up slow as balls even if I've haggled to the point I cant get it any higher. I cant imagine how I'll ever get to Expert to invest money.

It isnt dependent on my personality score, is it? (learning it, not necessarily its effectiveness)

re ecro: In Morrowind I used to carry around a shitload of weapons, but blade is my only major skill so I just carry around an Elven Longsword I enchanted and another enchanted weapon just in case. I also have an enchanted bow and some arrows, but that's it.
Mercantile has an absurd rate of skillup. Something like 250 transactions for a levelup normally. So just make individual transactions (slow and boring, but it definitely raises the skill up faster than selling in bulk).

Pellham

Banned
I got lazy and started training mercantile with the trainers. it's easy to get mercantile up that way.
i would still make it a primary stat, if only so I can get to 75 mercantile at as low level as possible.

GreekWolf

hellfire said:
umbra - weighs zero and is more powerful than any two handed sword i've found so far (something like 33 atk @ 125 health, 100 blade skill)
Umbra is decent, but nothing to get all hot and bothered about.

In fact, after I killed Umbra, I was poking around through the crates and chests in her lair, and actually found a better sword as random loot! After I finished chuckling and actually started to reflect on it, the whole thing made me realize just how broken the leveling system is in the game.

This is a serious issue, and needs to be addressed by the next game in the series. Otherwise, raiding dungeons and completing quests for "epic" items is a ridiculous waste of time, when you can score even better armor/weapons just by increasing your level.

BlueTsunami

I miss the Mark&Recall spell from Morrowind, so I did a quick search to see if its in the game in any way. I found out its NOT but there is a MOD to add it into the game (appearently its v.2 already)...heres a link if you want it...

Mark&Recall Spell for Oblivion (MOD)

*Mark&Recall is a Mysticism Spell that allows you to Mark a location your at and then travel wherever you want. When you want to return to that marked spot (usually a safe place or a Guild) you can cast Recall which will return you to that marked point. It saved a whole lot of time in Morrowind.

Speevy

Banned
GreekWolf said:

In fact, after I killed Umbra, I was poking around through the crates and chests in her lair, and actually found a better sword as random loot! After I finished chuckling and actually started to reflect on it, the whole thing made me realize just how broken the leveling system is in the game.

This is a serious issue, and needs to be addressed by the next game in the series. Otherwise, raiding dungeons and completing quests for "epic" items is a ridiculous waste of time, when you can score even better armor/weapons just by increasing your level.

Honestly, having "epic" items was a waste of time in Morrowind too. Once you're strong enough, you can take down an army with anything. So really it's just aesthetic.

GreekWolf

Speevy said:
Honestly, having "epic" items was a waste of time in Morrowind too. Once you're strong enough, you can take down an army with anything. So really it's just aesthetic.
That's absolutely true, but it's the principle that bothers me. Part of the fun in completing a long, difficult, complex quest or dungeon is the big payoff at the end. I'm not saying that the game needs more phat lewts... just a greater emphasis on static rewards, instead of leveled items.

Like the Umbra example, what's the point in building your character up, slugging it out with that bitch for five minutes, then proudly yanking the uber sword out of her cold, lifeless hand... only to discover that you can easily find a weapon just as good if not better in some random chest in the same dungeon. It just don't make any sense.

In my opinion, that's the only notable flaw I've encountered in over 150 hours of playing. It doesn't diminish the series at all for me... but I could certainly understand why someone might grumble about it.

firex

GreekWolf said:

That's why I like the pc version! I've got a mod that makes the various artifact weapons/armor better so they're still stronger than random drops (but they aren't overpowered).

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Anyone done the quest involing Choral royal family and stolen sword?

So this guy from the thieves guild wants me to get it for him, I do so and I can hand it over to him for 1500 gold and have the weatherleah twins hate me

or I can hand it back to the Countess, get a heavy armour shield worth 11,000 gold (I use light armour only) and the twins like me. But the guy in the thieves guild hates me, and is apparently a fence later on. Any negatives to pissing this guy off? Will it bite me in the ass later on?

Its actually a decent sword too, weighs nothing and has better attack than my glass sword, will keep it for awhile for the reduced weight

Why cant we use the training equipment around the game to you know....train? Shooting arrows or hitting them has no effect, I'm finding it pretty hard to raise my marksmanship because with every encounter I find myself shooting on average 1 or 2 arrows before switching to swords, and that means levelling up is snail-paced.

p.s. If there is any expansion it better be downloadable or available seperately....a new edition of Oblivion would not go down well unless theres a trade in option, but considering I have the CE, thats no good either. Dont screw me!! :(

Sysgen

firex said:
Mercantile has an absurd rate of skillup. Something like 250 transactions for a levelup normally. So just make individual transactions (slow and boring, but it definitely raises the skill up faster than selling in bulk).

I've come across a Merchantile trainer bug (I beleive). It's probably known but here is what happened.
In Choryl there is a an Argonian shopkeeper whose daughter is missing. Before I took her quest I noticed she was a Merchantile trainer. So I trained the 5 levels. After the quest she rewarded me with another level up in Merchantile
but then I was able to train another 5 levels in Merchantile which I think was not supoosed to happen.

Also lol at having a personality of 100 or I think that is the reason for this.
I resisted arrest and the townspeople battled the guards when they tried to kill me.

Seth C

GreekWolf said:
That's absolutely true, but it's the principle that bothers me. Part of the fun in completing a long, difficult, complex quest or dungeon is the big payoff at the end. I'm not saying that the game needs more phat lewts... just a greater emphasis on static rewards, instead of leveled items.

Like the Umbra example, what's the point in building your character up, slugging it out with that bitch for five minutes, then proudly yanking the uber sword out of her cold, lifeless hand... only to discover that you can easily find a weapon just as good if not better in some random chest in the same dungeon. It just don't make any sense.

In my opinion, that's the only notable flaw I've encountered in over 150 hours of playing. It doesn't diminish the series at all for me... but I could certainly understand why someone might grumble about it.

Honestly, I'm level 35 and still haven't found anything better than Umbra.

Tek

whats the deal with this guy? I havent came across him once.

oblsword5mg.gif

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
kaizoku said:
Anyone done the quest involing Choral royal family and stolen sword?

So this guy from the thieves guild wants me to get it for him, I do so and I can hand it over to him for 1500 gold and have the weatherleah twins hate me

or I can hand it back to the Countess, get a heavy armour shield worth 11,000 gold (I use light armour only) and the twins like me. But the guy in the thieves guild hates me, and is apparently a fence later on. Any negatives to pissing this guy off? Will it bite me in the ass later on?

Its actually a decent sword too, weighs nothing and has better attack than my glass sword, will keep it for awhile for the reduced weight

I've kept it and is still using it as my main weapon, I guess I'll sell it once I get something better (if ever). :lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Has anyone been able to get Athletics training from Hauls Ropes Faster in Anvil? Every time I talk to him I never get the option for training.

I tried going to the other mid-level Athletics trainer outside of Chorrol but he never even shows up at his little shack. He must have died somehow.

Meier

firex said:

Sheesh, the slider hasnt seemed to move in the past day for me. It just wont go past 36. :( Really frustrating because I'd at least like it to be Journeyman level. On a completely unrelated note, I cast Nighteye on myself for the first time and was freaking out how awesome it is. Seriously, when I played EQ, I was constantly in Dark Elf form on my dwarf warrior because I loved the UV so much. I gotta get some sort of item with it as a constant effect.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Oblivion killed my xbox :(

I had literally just started playing - I was doing the mages guild recommendation quest (my LAST ONE after putting it off for weeks) down in Lleyawin (sp?). I was in the fort waxing some bandits and I hit my encumberance max the night before, so I saved it and promised I'd do the cleanup (giong back to town and selling it all) the next day. So I got home last night, turned it on, and started playing. I walked out of the fort, fast travelled back to the city, and walked to the mages guild to spend the night. Midway into loading the screen went black, and I got a "no signal" error. Next thing I know my "ring of light" is flashing on 3 quadrants (the "all other problems that require MS service" in the manual) and I'm done. Everytime I try and turn it on, same problem. Now I need to wait and get it serviced, which is probably going to take two weeks or so.

... I think I'm going to have to buy the PC version to get my fix. Bethesda's plan works - I'm buying it twice AGAIN - just like Morrowind! Curse you Steve!

Meier said:
Sheesh, the slider hasnt seemed to move in the past day for me. It just wont go past 36. :( Really frustrating because I'd at least like it to be Journeyman level. On a completely unrelated note, I cast Nighteye on myself for the first time and was freaking out how awesome it is. Seriously, when I played EQ, I was constantly in Dark Elf form on my dwarf warrior because I loved the UV so much. I gotta get some sort of item with it as a constant effect.

Yeah, I finally got an item with Nighteyes on it and it helps like hell. So much easier to use sneak, and my bow from a distance, and just plain nice to be able to see things in the dark. Some people have reported finding a ring of nighteyes
in Umbra's lair, Vandasel.
but I didn't get one there.

Pellham

Banned
SteveMeister said:
He's from the E3 demo last year.

For that matter, where's that lady NPC from the demo who lets you up into her room and plays with her dog? I never saw her. No NPC has ever let me up into their room after jacking their disposition up high either (is that possible???)

GreekWolf

PanopticBlue said:
What did you find that was better than Umbra in the same dungeon?
It's been pawned off long ago, but the name was something like "Winter's Frost or Winter's Fury." Stats were 25+20 frost damage.... which is a bit less than Goldbrand's 28+22 fire dmg.

When you hit 40, most everything that spawns is god-like. The only exception being black soul gems, as I've only come across two and that was in a mage's guild quest.

Pellham said:
For that matter, where's that lady NPC from the demo who lets you up into her room and plays with her dog? I never saw her. No NPC has ever let me up into their room after jacking their disposition up high either (is that possible???)

I think the lady was the woman in Chorrol with the dogs. Not sure about that though.

I was thinking he was in Elf Armor too. I actually saw a bandit last night that looked a lot like him while searching for some ruins. Looted his corpse for a nearly full suit of elven armor. :)

BlueTsunami

I think their about the same but the Orcish Armor does sell for more. It also weighs much much more than Dwarven Armor

jet1911

After one hour I've finally killed Umbra! What a bitch! :O Even after falling in the trap full of spikes four times in a row she was not dead... I've finished her with my awesome Warhammer of Flames. Her blade is great.

Razoric

Banned
I never liked first person RPGs before but I must say I am LOVING this game. To me it feels like a cross between Fable and World of Warcraft, only more nerdified (did I just make up a word?).

Very intuitive interface, always lets you know where your quests are, etc. Really solid game. Color me impressed.

Anyone else love messing with the physics? I got one guy out of his bed (a central character that you cant kill apparently) and I kept shooting the shit out of him with arrows. I loved watching that douche flop all over the place.

One thing irks me though... why can it be night outside and when you enter a house bright lights are coming in from the windows? :eek:

BlueTsunami

Ugh, I need better Weapons. I'm at level 18 right now and Bears and Mountain Lions still rape me while i'm strolling through the woods. God forbid I run into the Wooden Lady Monsters that can summon wood creatures. I've currently got an Ebony Shortsword and Dagger.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Razoric said:
I never liked first person RPGs before but I must say I am LOVING this game. To me it feels like a cross between Fable and World of Warcraft, only more nerdified (did I just make up a word?).

Very intuitive interface, always lets you know where your quests are, etc. Really solid game. Color me impressed.

Anyone else love messing with the physics? I got one guy out of his bed (a central character that you cant kill apparently) and I kept shooting the shit out of him with arrows. I loved watching that douche flop all over the place.

One thing irks me though... why can it be night outside and when you enter a house bright lights are coming in from the windows? :eek:

I love finishing characters with a power attack (especially if it’s a backstab) and watching them fly! It makes the kill so much more satisfying.

sky

I experienced a funny Oblivion moment while playing last night.
I had killed a guard, and gone to the thieves guild to pay off my bounty (for 1/2 price :)).

As I was about to leave the guild member's house, a few NPCs stormed in ... swords drawn and yelling. I saw guards, so immediately thought "oh great, they are still after me", and drew my weapon.

I then realized, they weren't after me at all.. they were chasing around some random dude! They scurried around the room, and back outside. I followed and watched as more guards started chasing after the poor bastard. One other random guy joined in and started chasing the guards! (As if to protect his friend :lol).

I ran behind the train, and eventually caught up to them. The guards had slaughtered the guy, and left him lying there. (Of course I looted the corpse :lol). They passed by me and didn't do anything.

Perhaps this is not uncommon, but my first time seeing such a thing. Pretty hilarious at the time :p.

Top Bottom