• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Spencerr

Banned
rod said:
whats a good/easy way to build up conjuration

I made a spell that summoned a flame antorach, bound couraiss, and bound axe all for 1 second. I then sat in my room and spammed it. Spencer = expert conjuror.

rod

Banned
Spencerr said:
I made a spell that summoned a flame antorach, bound couraiss, and bound axe all for 1 second. I then sat in my room and spammed it. Spencer = expert conjuror.

elaborate please:D

firex

summon dagger/sword/axe -> sheathe -> recast

Or if you have enough willpower and magicka, summon skeleton/scamp until you're out of magicka (plus you can then kill it for free skillups in your preferred method of combat). And what Spencerr's talking about is creating a custom spell after joining the Arcane University.

knitoe

Bobety said:
I think i've encountered a big glitch...

I'm still stuck on this thieves guild quest where I'm supposed to be contacted by the gray fox after fencing over 600 gold. I've slept in every inn in every district of the imperial city as well as in the waterfront district many times, and waited and wandered around the city for several weeks now and still NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS

Anyone know if i'm doing something wrong or if theres any way I can contact him instead of vise versa? I really don't want to start another character for this line of quests because my current one has already completed all of dark brotherhood and hes damn cool :(

You don't need to sleep. All I did was go to Waterfront district and advance time by 1-2 at a time. Make sure to wait a few minutes so person can run up to you. After awhile, someone will come telling you Gray Fox wants to meet at you this place.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
knitoe said:
You don't need to sleep. All I did was go to Waterfront district and advance time by 1-2 at a time. Make sure to wait a few minutes so person can run up to you. After awhile, someone will come telling you Gray Fox wants to meet at you this place.

You don't need to do that. Just stand outside somewhere in the city and do a 24 hour wait. It'll automatically cancel when the messenger finds you.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just finished the Thieves Guild Quests!
The Grey Cowl? That you get fucken rocks
:D

I love how Bethesda made it so you have to actually get into fights to raise levels and whatnot (if you have alot of combat skills as major skills, which I do). It forces you to take on quests and get into battles. I've also been picking locks like crazy. I've got my Security Skill up to 61 without any training at all.

I've also found one piece of Daedric Gear (Daedric Greaves :D)

rod

Banned
put the grey cowl on near a guard and see what happens ;) also check your infamy/bounty when you have it on :p

Zensetsu

BlueTsunami said:
I just finished the Thieves Guild Quests!
The Grey Cowl? That you get fucken rocks
:D

Love it for its bonus, loathe it for its looks. The
Grey Cowl
is the definition of bad art. I burst out laughing the first time I saw it. :(

I didnt feel like wading through this entire thread for a possible answer, but, once you complete the main quest in the game, can you still continue on with your character and stuff or does it end there and you have to start again?

Zensetsu

cordonbleu said:
I didnt feel like wading through this entire thread for a possible answer, but, once you complete the main quest in the game, can you still continue on with your character and stuff or does it end there and you have to start again?
You can continue playing - but keep in mind that all the
oblivion gates will close.

Crazymoogle said:
Oh, and mmlemay, are you sure the place doesn't have multiple floors? I seem to recall the fellow you're looking for lounging either upstairs or downstairs in the last few locations. Sometimes those steps are in the damndest locations.

No, there was only one floor, but I did spend about 10 minutes looking for a hidden cellar door in that tiny room. He never did show up in Chorral, so I had to get the next quest from him back in Bruma, go back to Bruma to finish the quest, and then he showed up in Imperial City as he was supposed to next. Really, really weird, especially since the guy in Chorral told me he was inside waiting for me.

Just finished the Thieves Guild quests last night :)

Confidence Man said:
For those who've finished the Thieve's Guild:
is there a way to keep the boots?

He gives them to you for the final mission, so I'm guessing you should probably still have them? I should check my inventory, I guess...

GreekWolf

rod said:
question to the people who done the umbra quest
did you keep the sword or get the helm
On the 360 version
I don't think you can keep the helm... or at least, I wasn't able to. Every time I gave him the sword in exchange for the mask, my game froze. It's the first major glitch I've encountered while playing the 360 version.

Kind of a shame, too, because the mask is wicked looking and the personality bonus is the best of its kind in the game.

BlueTsunami

Confidence Man said:
You lose them at the end of the final mission.

Yep, I'm thinking
they get destroyed in the fall. Maybe if you had some type of slow fall spell (not sure if it exists) you could preserve the boots. But my guess is that they are destroyed. I'm going to be making a trip back to the same spot to pick up loot I couldn't carry so I'll see if its lying around just in case

GreekWolf

Speevy said:
Is there still no Orrery?
Was it supposed to be out this week?

I remember reading on the Tomb Raider board that Eidos sent the Legend demo to Microsoft something like two weeks before MS decided to release it.

Q&A FTL :(

GreekWolf

Speevy said:
The offiicial word was "We're trying to get it out this week." or something like that.
Crap. Well, I guess we'll see it sometime in late May

Got the Ninroots, the Tears of the Savior and the Fighter's guild quests to keep me busy until then.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BlueTsunami said:
Yep, I'm thinking
they get destroyed in the fall. Maybe if you had some type of slow fall spell (not sure if it exists) you could preserve the boots. But my guess is that they are destroyed. I'm going to be making a trip back to the same spot to pick up loot I couldn't carry so I'll see if its lying around just in case

I found this on gamefaqs, i've yet to try it but plan to soon.

Permanent Effect of Boots of Springheel Jak

First you must have completed the Thieves Guild quests without destroying the Boots of Springheel Jak. In order to do that you must simply survive a small fall near the end of the last quest with the boots unequipped.

After that go to the Shrine of Sanguine and get the quest there. Follow what the quest tells you to do and when you cast the spell, guards will try and arrest you. Get arrested. (Don't worry, all your equipment is in a chest at the Shrine of Sanguine, so you shouldn't lose anything.)

After you serve your time, you should have the Boots of Springheel Jak in your inventory. If you try to equip them, it will say "You can not equip this enchanted item at this time." But if you check your Active Effects page under Fortify Acrobatics, it should say that you still have the boost from the boots. You can also feel free to equip any other boots as well.

Contributed By: AkanubonOrih

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
rod said:
question to the people who done the umbra quest
did you keep the sword or get the helm

Where exactly did you get that quest?

I just found that place by accident and smacked the bitch up. Didn't know it was something I had to do :)

Ferrio

Banned
So far the hardest part in the game is making a female character LOOK female. Took forever just to get my character to look decent, but I still have nitpicks. Running across some of the NPCs in the game.... it's just.... wow women with beards everywhere.

My Mage Stealth Archer.

oblivion.jpg

oblivion2.jpg

Vark

Crazymoogle said:
have to applaud Bethesda on this one. It was really rough going. I gave up on fighting monsters because I had almost nothing left in the way of arrows, and had to resort to playing through the dungeons like it was a stealth game. Lots of rough moments as I'm creeping past dire wraiths and other big nasties and hoping nobody took a look my way. Hell, I even ran out of lockpicks and ended up extending my escape route a fair bit just to find a way out without a discrete lock.

Ha, yea that thing's a bitch if you're un prepared. There's tons of monsters but I put a lot of side passages and stuff to get around them.

I think i was having an "Angry level designer" moment though most of the final TG dungeon.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wants the deal with these Ayleid Statues? Ive got two now, do they have any purpose other than being pretty paper-weights for the stack of books in my house?

GreekWolf

Ghost said:
Wants the deal with these Ayleid Statues? Ive got two now, do they have any purpose other than being pretty paper-weights for the stack of books in my house?
Go sell one and see what happens.

BlueTsunami

TheWolf said:
I'm dissapointed with the
dragon armor's
stats. :(

:(

That sucks. The Dragonbone Curiass in Morrowind was a cool 333 Armor Value (which was high, much better than Daedric Armor) and it had 100% Flame Protection

Ferrio said:
So far the hardest part in the game is making a female character LOOK female. Took forever just to get my character to look decent, but I still have nitpicks. Running across some of the NPCs in the game.... it's just.... wow women with beards everywhere

:lol

I noticed that when I first started playing. I noticed the women of Oblivion were either ugly with beards or semi to really really old looking. Hopefully a Beauty Mod comes out at some point.

I also want a Mod that allows the main character to have a goetee of some sort.

Speevy

Banned
civilstrife said:
Question from an Elder Scrolls Newb:

What exactly are the elder scrolls? Like, the scrolls themselves.

The elders you see...They had these scrolls...And the scrolls foretold of a hero that would..I have no idea.

TheWolf

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
:(
That sucks. The Dragonbone Curiass in Morrowind was a cool 333 Armor Value (which was high, much better than Daedric Armor) and it had 100% Flame Protection

each piece has a nice enchantment, but with health at 125 for all of it my armor rating isn't close to the max of 85.

it is the best looking armor in the game though. Bethesda needs to let armorers make their own armor in the next game. it'd be fucking sweet to tweak the style and color scheme. i'd make some badass black armor with gold trim.

BlueTsunami

TheWolf said:
Bethesda needs to let armorers make their own armor in the next game. it'd be fucking sweet to tweak the style and color scheme. i'd make some badass black armor with gold trim.

Thats a kickass idea. I love the look of the armors and weapons in Oblivion but I would love to make my own color scheme for my armor and weapons.

eso76

Ferrio said:

lol, never noticed the bow isn't animated :)
she's cute, i did better though : P

Still loving this game, unfortunately haven't had much time to play lately.
Oh, and it looks gorgeous
img_6005.jpg

Scott

Ferrio said:
So far the hardest part in the game is making a female character LOOK female.
It's possible, though. Just look at alkaline black's character, for example:

oblivion_janissary.jpg

Of course, that was pre-vampirism... ;)
civilstrife said:
What exactly are the elder scrolls? Like, the scrolls themselves.
Here you go:
These powerful tools of prophecy and divination, the prize of the Empire, tell of every event that ever has happened or will happen. The Cyrodilic Moth priests, who are their keepers, invoke the Elder Scrolls by ritually attuning them to a specific time or space and attempt to interpret the glyphs that form upon their surface.

The Scrolls are believed to be kept in the Imperial City and may be stored in the Hall Of Records, which is itself likely to form part of the Imperial Palace.

The Moth priests belong to a monastic order founded by Tiber Septim and dedicated to the god Julianos, the Cyrodilic Divine whose sphere is 'literature, law, history, and contradiction'. It is likely that they form part of the Nibenese Cult of the Ancestor Moth.
Source: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15282

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think i've hit a major bug in the main quest -- i'm in
miscarcand trying to get the great wellkynd stone
, and early on in the dungeon i've run into a remotely-activated gate that just won't open. there's a pressure plate and a switch nearby and neither will open the gate -- the strategy guide says that the pressure plate should do it. reloading a save i made before i entered the dungeon doesn't change anything. has anyone run into a similar problem, and is there anything i can do? i'll be really pissed off if i can't finish the main quest. :/

edit: looks like a bunch of people on the elder scrolls forum had the same problem. apparently the switches will eventually work if i save, exit to the dashboard, and keep reloading the game. what a mess. 360 version, btw.

I feel stupid. After 70-some hours of gameplay, I just figured out you can knock down high up Varla and Welkynd stones from their pedestals by using arrows. :p

gblues

Banned
Vark said:
Ha, yea that thing's a bitch if you're un prepared. There's tons of monsters but I put a lot of side passages and stuff to get around them.

I think i was having an "Angry level designer" moment though most of the final TG dungeon.

Ah so you got to do that mission? Really well done. I'd been hoping that I'd be able to see one of THE Elder Scrolls.
And then to not only see but STEAL one! Best. Quest. Ever.

Nathan

xabre

Banned
Doublesith said:
I feel stupid. After 70-some hours of gameplay, I just figured out you can knock down high up Varla and Welkynd stones from their pedestals by using arrows. :p

Yes I noticed that too. I saw them up there and figured, 'Meh, unreachable' and began to walk away...then I figured 'Hey, I could try and shoot them down but I doubt it'll work'...well it did, of course it did.

Cool :)

On the Umbra quest:
make sure you obtain the sword before talking to Clavicus Vile. If you don't have the sword before talking to him the quest will bug out when you try and give it to him later. This seems to happen whether you keep the sword or not. It has something to do with his dog coming with you. Save often!!

The Dark One

TheWolf

Banned
DarkMage619 said:
On the Umbra quest:
make sure you obtain the sword before talking to Clavicus Vile. If you don't have the sword before talking to him the quest will bug out when you try and give it to him later. This seems to happen whether you keep the sword or not. It has something to do with his dog coming with you. Save often!!

The Dark One

I didn't and kept it, and nothing happened.

Vark

gblues said:
Ah so you got to do that mission? Really well done. I'd been hoping that I'd be able to see one of THE Elder Scrolls.
And then to not only see but STEAL one! Best. Quest. Ever.

Nathan

I don't get to write em' unfortunately so I can't take credit for the original Idea. I just build / rig / populate the dungeons and puzzles for it.

Vark said:
I don't get to write em' unfortunately so I can't take credit for the original Idea. I just build / rig / populate the dungeons and puzzles for it.

Have I told you how much I love you, Vark? Because I do... a lot.

Seriously.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vark said:

You use the TES tools to do so?

Sho Nuff

Banned
I have a question about psychokinesis. Is it worth it to go down that route? Can I pick up heavy shit and throw it at people, or can I pick up PEOPLE with it a la psy-ops?

Like...what does it let me -do-?

Top Bottom