• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GreekWolf

Sho Nuff said:
I have a question about psychokinesis. Is it worth it to go down that route? Can I pick up heavy shit and throw it at people, or can I pick up PEOPLE with it a la psy-ops?

Like...what does it let me -do-?
The only thing I've found it useful for is to grab shiny stones that are way up high in Ayelid Ruins.

I was bitterly disappointed when I discovered that I couldn't toss trolls around :(

firex

It's pretty much a utility spell, but I think the most practical application of it is stealing things. I haven't really used it, but if it works like I've read, you can tele stuff that's across a room up to you in the shadows, and steal it without someone noticing.

Bobety

EviLore said:
You don't need to do that. Just stand outside somewhere in the city and do a 24 hour wait. It'll automatically cancel when the messenger finds you.

I just tried this, waited for 24 hours in every district.. I also tried the other method of waiting one hour at a time for 24 hours.. still nothing. I even went and fenced a few more hundred gold worth of stolen items.

I read a walkthrough and apparently the one who contacts you is methredel, maybe i can trigger it if i find her myself, does anyone know where she normally hangs out? Shes not in her house at any time of the day, and i haven't seen her anywhere in the city since i started this quest...

I doubt that'll work though even if i do find her, i'm so dissapointed in this game :(

I was fighting an ogre, and I was kind of hanging back, when to my surprise he gave me the "come on" gesture with his hand. :lol I'd never seen that before in 80+ hours of play.

Guys, will my PC be able to run Oblivion with middle settings?

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @2,17 Ghz
1024 MB DDR RAM
ATi Radeon 9600 256MB RAM

:( I didn't like Morrowind, but I just can't withstand all the hype.

Marlowe

44 hours and level 4 -- I just rarely sleep, even though I'm constantly bombarded with "You should rest and meditate on what you've learned." I get it, game. Next mission, no time for sleep. :)

Solo

Marlowe said:
44 hours and level 4 -- I just rarely sleep, even though I'm constantly bombarded with "You should rest and meditate on what you've learned." I get it, game. Next mission, no time for sleep. :)

So youre refusing to level up basically. Why? :lol

firex

I can't remember how many hours I'm in, but I'm level 40. Then again, a lot of my major skills were easy to level (conjuration, alteration, restoration, alchemy) and they're near max.

Chi-Town

Gotta love the wierdness that can sometimes occur.

I had done a mission with a Fighter Guild guy at a distant ruin. Afterwards he takes off and I fast travel to another town. What's odd is that while I'm going about my business, I get a message saying he's unconscious. I take care of a couple of quests and I'm supposed to go talk this same guy for my next one. I look on my map and the green arrow indicates that he's not back in the town where he should be. He's out in the middle of nowhere not far from our previous mission. I ride on over there and he's lying on the ground next to the body of a bandit he was evidently duking it out with. He hops back up
and I try to talk with him but it's like he's not really there. I just pass right through him.
For the heck of it, I choose to wait an hour. He's no longer there and he's halfway across the map back at his town.

I'm level 25 at 101 hours.

Marlowe

Solo said:
So youre refusing to level up basically. Why? :lol

I have to save the WORLD! I have no time for sleep!!!! :D :lol

[And my price for saving the world is robbing everyone on the planet BLIND]

firex

All right, so I'm doing this quest, and gotta head to Bruma. I'm nearly there, and I see these 2 Imperial Legion Hunters walking along the road. The front one stops to talk to me, and I notice... he's completely full of arrows, someone's using him for target practice. Then I realize, it's the guy behind him! His own partner's killing him, and he's just standing there looking at me. Finally his buddy finishes him off, goes over, loots all of his arrows out of the corpse that he can, and walks off. I loot the body and what does he have on him? Venison. I move a little bit further toward Bruma, and what do I see? A dead deer.

So I guess hunter #1 stole from his partner, and his partner decided he should've paid the fine.

KarishBHR

I finally got the gold dust from the willow wisp. Now Im supposed to kill some vampires. Is this the dreaded mission that everyone talks about?

Im a level 4, should I not do this mission yet? Anything I should do before this mission?

BlueLegs

Marlowe said:
I have to save the WORLD! I have no time for sleep!!!! :D :lol

[And my price for saving the world is robbing everyone on the planet BLIND]
Incase you didn't realise, everyones loot (including quest loot) is scaled, which means that you are going to get considerably worse loot if you steal from them at early levels.

Marlowe

BlueLegs said:
Incase you didn't realise, everyones loot (including quest loot) is scaled, which means that you are going to get considerably worse loot if you steal from them at early levels.

How DARE you use logic and facts against me in a discussion on GAF! :D :D

mxz

KarishBHR said:
I finally got the gold dust from the willow wisp. Now Im supposed to kill some vampires. Is this the dreaded mission that everyone talks about?

Im a level 4, should I not do this mission yet? Anything I should do before this mission?

Yeah, the vampire mission is pretty tough. I am now way past it and all the other missions seem somewhat easier than that one. If you are level 4, you probably won't be able to find any silver weapons yet.
There could be a couple of silver arrows somewhere in the Mines. I found only two in some coffin, but two was enough to bring one of them less armoured bastards down permanently. But yeah, them orkses with axes are tough to crack. You have to run out of the cave and have him follow you - you'll have more space to dodge his swinging axe. Take a lot of healing poitions with you.

KarishBHR

mxz said:
Yeah, the vampire mission is pretty tough. I am now way past it and all the other missions seem somewhat easier than that one. If you are level 4, you probably won't be able to find any silver weapons.
There could be a couple of silver arrows somewhere in the location of the mission. I found only two, but it was enough to bring one of them bastards down permanently. But yeah, them orkses with axes are tough to crack. For the first one, I ran out of the cave and down to Bruma, he chased me all the way there, then some guards helped me kill him. It was easier after that.

so should I wait or not?

mxz

KarishBHR said:
so should I wait or not?

Well, take a lot of healing potions. Lure them out of the cave (they may possibly engage in fights with guards or creatures outside). I think you can do it.

Sysgen

firex said:
All right, so I'm doing this quest, and gotta head to Bruma. I'm nearly there, and I see these 2 Imperial Legion Hunters walking along the road. The front one stops to talk to me, and I notice... he's completely full of arrows, someone's using him for target practice. Then I realize, it's the guy behind him! His own partner's killing him, and he's just standing there looking at me. Finally his buddy finishes him off, goes over, loots all of his arrows out of the corpse that he can, and walks off. I loot the body and what does he have on him? Venison. I move a little bit further toward Bruma, and what do I see? A dead deer.

So I guess hunter #1 stole from his partner, and his partner decided he should've paid the fine.

This happened, exactly as you told it, to me last night except in the wilderness near Bruma. The deer was dead. The dead guy had Venison on him which I took. It's got to be a bug that the guy just stands there taking arrows.

mxz

BTW, did anyone do the "A Brotherhood Betrayed" quest in Bruma, where you have to prove that Brandon wasn't a vampire, but was slain for different reasons? I have gotten to the point, where the investigator guard asks me for evidence that Raynil is a murderer. Where do I find this evidence? I went to Skingrad and tried to find the house of some Gelebourne (which was supposedely a vampire too) but without any luck. Help?

123rl

You need to go to the inn in the town. Speak to the owner and he'll show you Raynil's room. Break in and there's a journal hidden there. It's pretty straightforward from there :)

mxz said:
BTW, did anyone do the "A Brotherhood Betrayed" quest in Bruma, where you have to prove that Brandon wasn't a vampire, but was slain for different reasons? I have gotten to the point, where the investigator guard asks me for evidence that Raynil is a murderer. Where do I find this evidence? I went to Skingrad and tried to find the house of some Gelebourne (which was supposedely a vampire too) but without any luck. Help?
Did you find the journal in Raynil's room at Olav's Tap and Tack? its behind a dresser show it to the guard at the house.

mxz

VenusandBacchus said:
Did you find the journal in Raynil's room at Olav's Tap and Tack? its behind a dresser show it to the guard at the house.

I did find it. It only says something about a brotherhood but no evidence.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
mxz said:
I did find it. It only says something about a brotherhood but no evidence.

After you find the journal it should tell you what you need to do with it. Go to your quests screen and read the summary.

I finished the main quest this morning and I really can't believe in just how short it actually is. When I first started the game I intended to concentrate on it more but I was surprised in just how fast it was all progressing so I held back and did some of the guild stuff to keep me busy. Morrowind's storyline took me a heck of a lot longer to complete than this.

I wanted more. :(

gblues

Banned
Chi-Town said:
Gotta love the wierdness that can sometimes occur.

I had done a mission with a Fighter Guild guy at a distant ruin. Afterwards he takes off and I fast travel to another town. What's odd is that while I'm going about my business, I get a message saying he's unconscious. I take care of a couple of quests and I'm supposed to go talk this same guy for my next one. I look on my map and the green arrow indicates that he's not back in the town where he should be. He's out in the middle of nowhere not far from our previous mission. I ride on over there and he's lying on the ground next to the body of a bandit he was evidently duking it out with. He hops back up
and I try to talk with him but it's like he's not really there. I just pass right through him.
For the heck of it, I choose to wait an hour. He's no longer there and he's halfway across the map back at his town.

I'm level 25 at 101 hours.

I think I've got ya beat.

During the main quest, you have to go
get a Grand Welkynd Stone from an Ayleid ruin (Miscargand or whatever).
Now, at this point I've got around 70-75% sneak ability, plus 65-75% chameleon equipment, so I can sneak about anywhere. I sneak my way through the dungeon, grab the target, and sneak back out (oh, I've also got
the unbreakable lockpick
). I completely avoided fighting the boss (
the King of Miscargand
) and just sneaked my way back out of the dungeon. I really didn't think anything of it at that point.

30+ hours later I've finished the MQ, my
Dragon Armor
is ready, so I travel over to the Imperial Prison area to claim it.

The aforementioned boss is there waiting for me! He was 0wned pretty quickly by the Imperial Guard.

Nathan

Even though there wasn't much (if any) of a pay off in the Morrowind story, I actually really got into it. The plot was much more complex even if the quests themselves weren't.

Oblivion is the better game of course but the storyline just wasn't there, imo.

mxz

Nerevar said:
After you find the journal it should tell you what you need to do with it. Go to your quests screen and read the summary.

After I found the journal, it said that I must speak to Olav about this Gelebourne. I did and he said that she was slain in Skyngrad. The journal then says that I have to speak to Carius (the guard). When I speak to Carius, he says he needs evidence to support this. The marker points to Carius all the time.

The aforementioned boss is there waiting for me! He was 0wned pretty quickly by the Imperial Guard.

The exact same thing happened to me! Except I had to run away during the first encounter because I was being swamped by those zombies that regenerate their health [not cool].

Does anyone have a guide to which shops in what cities sell the different magic spells one can buy? I think this was posted previously in the thread but I don't want to search the entire thread with it's 100+ pages looking for it. Also, another question. Where can someone buy the 'Summon Dremora Lord' spell?

Gattsu25

Banned
Newbie said:
Help the retarded please, about six hours into the game and i've been bitten by a vampire. How do I cure myself?
bitten while sleeping? it's too late...you're already a vampire...load an old save or continue your unlife

if you had just gotten the disease (forgot the name) then yeah, cure disease will help you out...be quick about it, though

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
For those who wonder about leveled items, I looked at the data on the PC version (I bought both, i'm just that happy with it :))

Most rewards stop growing at 25, some stop at 30 (mostly coin), nothing appears to grow after 30.
Remember, that once you get a quest reward, it will stay the same no mater how many levels you cain.

Ecrofirt

yeilding is a great way to totally fuck around in the game.

If you're going to try this, make sure you've got a good save that you're able to fall back on. autosaving won't work, as you'll lose it going into towns.

Want to kill a whole town? Easy enough. Attack and kill a guard. Usually a single second guard will come after you after you kill the first one. Kill this guard as well. From here, it seems that all the guards in the castle will come after you. If you run into a building with civilians, the civilians usually won't react to you. You can then stand behind them while guards pump them full of arrows and kill them. Do this until you've killed all the citizens you can find.

Now it's time to take on the big group of guards who want your blood. Outnumbered? Easy solution. Yield, then resist arrest. Immedietly attack a guard twice, then yeild again before he can attack. Rinse and repeat, and you'll eventually kill off an entire town.

I spent a half hour or so last night shitting around like this.

Ecrofirt

I only sleep for an hour if I'm going to sleep in a bed while I play, and I only do that if it's time to level up. And I make sure that hour is at like 2:00PM. Don't want any of those vampire bastards near me.

That reminds me though, is there any advantage to Elvish weaponry?

I've cut down my weapons to an Elvish longsword, a Dwarven warhammer, and a silver longsword for ghosts and whetnot when I encounter them.

GreekWolf

Ecrofirt said:
That reminds me though, is there any advantage to Elvish weaponry?
They provide pretty decent damage for a character around 11-16 or so.

I used an Elvish longsword for most of my low to mid teens, until I completed the Honor of Chorral quest.

belgurdo

Banned
Near the ruin "Culotte" there is a chest on a pedestal in the middle of the water, with no platform to get to it. My acrobatics are a little low right now-what's in the chest, so I can figure if I should bother with it?

Seth C

belgurdo said:
Near the ruin "Culotte" there is a chest on a pedestal in the middle of the water, with no platform to get to it. My acrobatics are a little low right now-what's in the chest, so I can figure if I should bother with it?

Give me a better idea where that is at. I'll walk out on the water and check it for you.

10002495se.jpg

!!

Top Bottom