• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Tek

well I normally think guides are useless period...but as someone who is new to the Elder Scrolls world. I like to have it as a reference. Although using it to get past certain points if I'm stuck...it wont be used.

Just hoping it has more info on the different guilds, races, weapons, armor...etc..etc...etc

Anyone else being cautious in regards to the official forums since the guide has been released? There seems to be an enormous amount of chromosomally endowed n00bage on the boards and I don't want to be spoiled.

I get my Oblivion news, comments, thoughts here. I've wandered over to the official site a few times, and felt kinda dirty afterwards. I immediately took a shower.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I get my Oblivion news, comments, thoughts here. I've wandered over to the official site a few times, and felt kinda dirty afterwards. I immediately took a shower.

Well I've been posting there since Morrowind came out. I don't think it's ever been this bad before. The board moves ridiculously fast, and every post is assualted by newly registered initiates intent on insulting the topic poster.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
A lot of official boards are like that, i remember i spent two days convincing the KOTOR official boards that the Sith Lords had been annouced, i posted Press releases, even scans at one point, there were about 50 replies telling me i was a douche for lying and that i should find something better to do.

Never did go back to rub it in their smarmy little faces.

Yeah, I was over on the GRAW boards before the game came out, and saw some people posting about how stupid the idea of a drone in the game was because they didn't like "vehicles". I tried to explain to them what it was all about, but they just didn't get it.

Now that the game is released, they probably still don't get it. :lol

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
golem said:
i dont think u get dmg from headshots, but you do get sneak attack damage according to the pcgamer review

Yep, that part is the same from Morrowind. Sneak attack = critical damage hits if they don't see you.

Vyse The Legend said:
If a game can make a wait harder just because it has dragon lamps, then it's easily GOTY. :lol

And, I agree 100% with you.

well, not *just* because of the dragon lamps. Though those were a nice artistic design choice. I wonder if I could steal some and put them in my house in game :lol

Tek

cvkpaladin said:
So, does anyone know if the guide is out yet? I might have to pick it up if it is.

my local gamestop has it in, but I get 20% off if I get it when I pick up the game so I'm going to wait...

GreekWolf

AzureRonin said:
Well I've been posting there since Morrowind came out. I don't think it's ever been this bad before. The board moves ridiculously fast, and every post is assualted by newly registered initiates intent on insulting the topic poster.
I know exactly what you mean. I've been over there since 2000, and really miss the cozy feel and atmosphere of the old board. Back then, you knew almost everyone by name, and it felt more like a community. Of course, Bethseda was primarily a PC dev back then and the majority of the fans seemed to be much older and more respectful of everyone's opinions.

As soon as Beth announced that Oblivion would be coming to the Xbox 360, we've had an influx of teenage brats to take over the boards and ruin them. And the closer the game is to release, the worse it gets. Most threads end up in fights/insults and are closed within minutes. There's hardly any intelligent discussion about the Elder Scrolls universe anymore, since all the console kiddies want to talk about is how the Xbox version kicks the PCs ass... or vice versa.

GreekWolf said:
There's hardly any intelligent discussion about the Elder Scrolls universe anymore, since all the console kiddies want to talk about is how the Xbox version kicks the PCs ass... or vice versa.

Yeah, we get plenty of that around here as it is!

Victrix

*beard*
I can't decide which wounds me more - the PC/Xbox idiots arguing over which version is superior

Or the just plain idiots, discussing how such and such a texture is clearly suboptimal, mmmmmkay

I'm not really sure what I'll be doing in Oblivion to start with, I've been in self imposed media blackout for so long, I know precious little about anything relating to the game's story, other than the 'big big' plot.

The story in Morrowind (the main story that is), was actually quite good, even more so if you were immersed in the lore surrounding it (which, being an ES brat, I was)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Victrix said:
I'm not really sure what I'll be doing in Oblivion to start with, I've been in self imposed media blackout for so long, I know precious little about anything relating to the game's story, other than the 'big big' plot.

You'll end up enjoying the game more because of that, too.

Victrix

*beard*
Indeed, though picking out a character early is a little tricky. I'm sure the manual or whatever the intro is can fill me in on the story, I remember seeing something about your character being chosen in the first playable section, sort of an extended version of Morrowind's character creation.

For those of you interested in Elder Scroll's lore, there's no better place than this

http://til.gamingsource.net/

GreekWolf said:
As soon as Beth announced that Oblivion would be coming to the Xbox 360, we've had an influx of teenage brats to take over the boards and ruin them. And the closer the game is to release, the worse it gets.

It wasn't so bad when Morrowind was released for Xbox. But the ridiculousness of people on the board is just out of control. Topics about how in one screenshot the horse's leg is extended too far, or that the long distance detail isn't good enough. >_>

Chiggs

Gold Member
AzureRonin said:
Topics about how in one screenshot the horse's leg is extended too far, or that the long distance detail isn't good enough. >_>

Hmm...this all sounds somewhat familiar, doesn't it?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
god damn, all 7600gt's are sold out. here, next bunch is coming in 16 days. What would you do on my place: a) Go with 7800gt or b) wait for 7600gt?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
New gameplay video posted at http://www.elderscrolls.com, plus 3 new Xbox 360 screenshots:

obx30B.jpg

obx29B.jpg

obx28B.jpg

GreekWolf

AzureRonin said:
It wasn't so bad when Morrowind was released for Xbox. But the ridiculousness of people on the board is just out of control. Topics about how in one screenshot the horse's leg is extended too far, or that the long distance detail isn't good enough. >_>
My favorite was one from a couple weeks ago, when some kid was trying to use screenshots to prove his case that "Oblivion doesn't really look all THAT much better than Everquest, from 1999."

Classic thread, that was. :lol

GreekWolf

eso76 said:
HOLY FRIGGIN FUCKIN SHIT AT THAT VIDEO

THANKS STEVE

:-q_____________
You lucky dog. How about sharing with the rest of the class?

There are literally thousands of people trying to hammer that link right now. My computer has already crashed twice.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Fantastic landscapes! The HDR works beautifully with the mountain ranges and beautiful cities.

I didn't know about the cellphone game, I hope it comes to Verizon's service.

Pimpbaa

GreekWolf said:
I know exactly what you mean. I've been over there since 2000, and really miss the cozy feel and atmosphere of the old board. Back then, you knew almost everyone by name, and it felt more like a community. Of course, Bethseda was primarily a PC dev back then and the majority of the fans seemed to be much older and more respectful of everyone's opinions.

As soon as Beth announced that Oblivion would be coming to the Xbox 360, we've had an influx of teenage brats to take over the boards and ruin them. And the closer the game is to release, the worse it gets. Most threads end up in fights/insults and are closed within minutes. There's hardly any intelligent discussion about the Elder Scrolls universe anymore, since all the console kiddies want to talk about is how the Xbox version kicks the PCs ass... or vice versa.

You might have had a respectable opinion there if you didn't throw in the word "console kiddies". Assuming that console gamers are only kids is incredibly ignorant now (might have been most true 10 or more years ago).

GreekWolf

Pimpbaa said:
You might have had a respectable opinion there if you didn't throw in the word "console kiddies".
I'm not bashing consoles at all. In fact, I'll be playing Oblivion on my beloved 360.

My comment was in reference to the teenie-boppers who want to litter the board with arguments and insults towards anyone who has chosen to purchase the game on their PC.

Comprende

Pimpbaa

GreekWolf said:
I'm not bashing consoles at all. In fact, I'll be playing Oblivion on my beloved 360.

My comment was in reference to the teenie-boppers who want to litter the board with arguments and insults towards anyone who has chosen to purchase the game on their PC.

Comprende

Gotcha. But the pc guys in that board will be vindicated I suppose when some cool ass mods come out ;)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Pimpbaa said:
Gotcha. But the pc guys in that board will be vindicated I suppose when some cool ass mods come out ;)

George_Burns_Oh-God.gif

Applies to that comment, and how sploogetastic the new video is. Thanks Steve.

Blobs of blue and green!

GreekWolf

Pimpbaa said:
Damn them :D

I know we'll be getting the "official" mods through Xbox Live, and I'm still holding out hope that Beth will conjure up a way for us to have access to a select few user mods, if it's possible. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Pimpbaa

SnakeXs said:
George_Burns_Oh-God.gif

Applies to that comment, and how sploogetastic the new video is. Thanks Steve.

Blobs of blue and green!

Whoa now, i'm not trying to start another pc vs 360 thing again. Thus why I put a winking smiley at the end.

Pimpbaa said:
You might have had a respectable opinion there if you didn't throw in the word "console kiddies". Assuming that console gamers are only kids is incredibly ignorant now (might have been most true 10 or more years ago).

No, but some of them still behave as if they were 10. Well actually, both "sides" do.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just had to post and say THANKS STEVE! This is the most excited about a game I've, like, ever been I think. I had to work from home today and spent a lot of my time in Morrowind, running around shooting Cliff Racers with my bow... Seeing that footage of Oblivion in action... well Morrowind pales in comparison as far as how the land looks.

Blue and green blobs indeed.... Dude was smoking crack :lol

Top Bottom