• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Ahh, excellent. I was wondering if the game was "fool proof", so to speak. Although you'd have to be quite a creative fool to do something like that :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Steve, did you guys account for HDTV overscan when designing the maps and menu systems? Some games like PDZ and PGR3 did not and some items are cut off.

u_neek

eso76 said:
any nice outdoors shots ? :D
(Mods, notice i'm NOT asking for scans, just asking if pics are nice ! )
Well, the pics in the article are obviously from the PC version but there's a real nice-looking panoramic shot. The review itself is quite bad but all three reviewers (second + third opinion) gave the game a perfect 10!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I kinda thought the same thing. :D

It's funny how some can deal it, and deal it, and deal it, in a serious manner even, and yet can't take it, even in joke form.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
DenogginizerOS said:
Steve, did you guys account for HDTV overscan when designing the maps and menu systems? Some games like PDZ and PGR3 did not and some items are cut off.

I had this problem as well on my 30" sony wega. My friend had an LCD, and it was absurd how much space he had between where the HUD elements stopped and the edge of the set stopped. About an inch on both sides.

I went into the service menu of my WEGA and pulled in the HSIZ. I got about 2 inches of real estate on each of the sides of my screen. WEGA's factory defaults are pretty absurd when it comes to overscan cutoff.. way above the standard that is abided by M$ (I believe it's that the hud must leave 15% of real estate between where it ends and the actual screen ends).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FlyinJ said:
I had this problem as well on my 30" sony wega. My friend had an LCD, and it was absurd how much space he had between where the HUD elements stopped and the edge of the set stopped. About an inch on both sides.

I went into the service menu of my WEGA and pulled in the HSIZ. I got about 2 inches of real estate on each of the sides of my screen. WEGA's factory defaults are pretty absurd when it comes to overscan cutoff.. way above the standard that is abided by M$ (I believe it's that the hud must leave 15% of real estate between where it ends and the actual screen ends).

I did the same thing last night. :lol Big improvement for me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
FlyinJ said:

It's all CRTs, really. The sets are analog, and must be configured individually, so the testers at the factory who do the work just fly through the setup. It's been suggested that the average consumer would rather have some overscan (that they probably wouldn't notice) than have none and potentially get "black space" around the picture.

I'd bet that almost all CRTs with factory settings will have overscan issues with the games you mentioned. Some people just wouldn't notice.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What kinda sucks is now when I play XBox 1 games in 480P, I have half inch black bars on the sides of the screen. Less than the 4x3 black bars, but annoying still.

SnakeXs said:
It's funny how some can deal it, and deal it, and deal it, in a serious manner even, and yet can't take it, even in joke form.

yep. Its even more hilarious that he can call someone else a troll.

golem

use the 360 to fill up the screen with this (might have to resize to 1280x720, or buy the Digital Video Essentials DVD)...

720overscan_lg.jpg

and you can see how much overscan you have.. shouldnt be more than 5% i think

SnakeXs said:

It's just further proof of how much of a troll borys really is, not that his constant xbox/x360 trolls weren't enough evidence already.

Chiggs

Gold Member
GashPrex said:
I'm going to do both considering i also have a 360 and want to see the differences between them. plus the x1800 can do both since you can force AA on a application through the catayst control center, though its not a very good solution and will probably kill the frame rate. I don't understand considering i play far cry with hdr and AA, yet they say no chipset supports it.

Hate to break it to you, but that won't work.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Since a lot of newer PC games seem to be supporting HDR+AA, what's the deal? Is oblivion using a more advanced HDR implementation, or do they just feel that no PC hardware can run HDR+AA in oblivion at a playable framerate?

SnakeXs

EviLore said:
Since a lot of newer PC games seem to be supporting HDR+AA, what's the deal? Is oblivion using a more advanced HDR implementation, or do they just feel that no PC hardware can run HDR+AA in oblivion at a playable framerate?

It was said it's just because of the way they programmed the HDR lighting.

Some say because of a low(er performance) impact way it can be done on 360, others lazy developing.

A reply was also made that they COULD redo the HDR lighting for PC gamers to be able to have it and AA at the same time but "you do want the game this year, right"?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Perhaps Steve could answer this (or someone else even)...

The soundtrack is quite good, no doubt about it, but I'm curious to know how it is handled. The original Morrowind really didn't attempt to do anything special with the soundtrack, but rather, randomly played songs from a "playlist" of sorts. When exploring (anywhere in the world), you'd hear certain songs. When you enter combat, then, you'd hear OTHER songs. Outside of that, there was no order to the music.

How does Oblivion handle this? Do specific areas now feature specific themes and such? The music is extremely powerful sounding and setting it up to work alongside specific areas would have much more impact on the player than simply letting a playlist loop. Of course, if it is handled in the same fashion as MW, I suppose it isn't a huge deal. I would simply have preferred more attention to music usage.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
dark10x said:
The original Morrowind really didn't attempt to do anything special with the soundtrack, but rather, randomly played songs from a "playlist" of sorts. When exploring (anywhere in the world), you'd hear certain songs. When you enter combat, then, you'd hear OTHER songs. Outside of that, there was no order to the music..

Umm...that's not how I recall it at all. There were few tracks in Morrowind that were whored around quite a bit in the massive world. Town themes shared among several specific towns, a dungeon theme, a combat theme that played when you get aggro... No randomized playlists, when you enter Balmora or Vivec boundaries for example, you knew it based on the music.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
New Xbox 360 screenshots released today:

obx27B.jpg

obx26B.jpg

obx25B.jpg

Music is handled in a similar fashion to Morrowind, but expanded upon a bit. There are several categories -- battle music, dungeon music, exploration music, town music, etc.

SteveMeister said:

obx27B.jpg

obx26B.jpg

obx25B.jpg

Music is handled in a similar fashion to Morrowind, but expanded upon a bit. There are several categories -- battle music, dungeon music, exploration music, town music, etc.

Wow, look at the blobs of green and blue in the third pic that Kobun mentioned! :lol

But seriously, looks very awesome. You can see the pop-in on the grass too in the 3rd picture (not bad at all). Plus, the 2nd picture shows the nice shadow being cast by the npc. :D

SnakeXs

Onos, blobs of green and blue! :lol

Looks splendiferous. Can't wait to begin my escapades.

And, a few annoying questions for Steve, which I'm sure he (probably rightfully) won't care to answer.

1) What's with all the weird resolutions used, both for PC and 360? These pics are amazing, and a few more pixels wouldn't change my mind about them at all, but why aren't they at the 720p standard resolution?

2) 8 days away, I know, but can we get a final verdict on shadows? If you could, just say what each of these categories of "world stuffs" has, wether it's just dynamic shadows, self shadowing, no shadows, or whatever.

Characters/NPCs
"Monsters"
Unchangeable "items" (Such as beds or furniture or whathaveyou)
Movable items and weapons (Books, fruit, potions, whatever can be manipulated)

Like I said, I'm sure you hate this by now, and no offense will be taken if you don't want to answer or just plain ignore it, but there's been so much "Oh I heard this was removed, this is in that's out" and "omfg no self shadows on evrything oblivun sux!" that it's killing me.

8 days, 8 damned days.. I dunno if I can make it.

I've gone from excited to frustrated... this is the longest week ever!

Luckily next week is spring break for me, so I'll have lots of time to create the best damn Kahjit ever!

I've never been more excited to spend $50.

pestul

Argh, I can't decide which version to get. I only have a A64 3000+, x800xt, 1GB. Something tells me I might enjoy it more laying on the couch in front of the TV. :eek:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Brandon F said:
Umm...that's not how I recall it at all. There were few tracks in Morrowind that were whored around quite a bit in the massive world. Town themes shared among several specific towns, a dungeon theme, a combat theme that played when you get aggro... No randomized playlists, when you enter Balmora or Vivec boundaries for example, you knew it based on the music.
Nope, it wasn't that way at all. There was only "exploration music" (which covered all non-combat portions of the game) and combat music. That was it. There was no Balmora theme or anything.

Sounds like it has been taken further this time, though, which is good.

SnakeXs said:
1) What's with all the weird resolutions used, both for PC and 360? These pics are amazing, and a few more pixels wouldn't change my mind about them at all, but why aren't they at the 720p standard resolution? Because they feel like it. :D

2) 8 days away, I know, but can we get a final verdict on shadows? If you could, just say what each of these categories of "world stuffs" has, wether it's just dynamic shadows, self shadowing, no shadows, or whatever.

Characters/NPCs- Duh, they cast shadows.
"Monsters"- They do also.
Unchangeable "items" (Such as beds or furniture or whathaveyou)- Nope, trees do however.
Movable items and weapons (Books, fruit, potions, whatever can be manipulated)- Already said a million times that they do not.

SnakeXs

Burger said:
in·ane

silly; stupid : don't constantly badger people with inane questions

ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Latin inanis 'empty, vain.'

Other than your post, not quite.

This isn't a "if everything isn't dynamically soft-self shadowed no sale" situation. They could tell me there's no shadows at all and I wouldn't care less.

It's an "a million and 3 different stories have been told about it, and I'd rather just get the facts and end it" situation.

You -1.

Helznicht

I just cant believe how good those shots look. Just Wow! Paid and Waiting Beth, paid and waiting. 360s first million seller easily.

Oh and somebody just got schooled!

Photos%5CPeter%20Molyneux.jpg

"Greatest RPG Evah!"

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
SteveMeister said:

obx27B.jpg

obx26B.jpg

obx25B.jpg

*fap* *fap* *fap*

don't judge me.

mikeGFG

Banned
SteveMeister said:

obx27B.jpg

obx26B.jpg

obx25B.jpg

Fuck, I need to see this game in motion. Where are my damned video previews Bethesda? Where the fuck are theyyyy

GreekWolf

Vyse The Legend said:
That photo is dying for a caption. It's like the moment right before he jumps out and brutally murders her. :lol
It's like Normal Rockwell meets Tales from the Crypt.

I always knew those devs had a sick sense of humor. :D

GreekWolf said:
Here's an excerpt from the PC Gamer UK review about the radiant AI -

:lol Apparently, that's why it recieved a 93/100 instead of a perfect score

OH BUT I WAS SO WROOOOONGGG. Radiant AI is A REVOLUTION.

Allelluia to Radiant AI! No Hyperbole!

pestul

Bebpo said:
obx26B.jpg

Very nice art design. Good Stuff!
I love the lighting in that one. Especially the soldiers on the left. I'd have to see that in motion, but the fire looks at least as good as RE4's. :D

Top Bottom