• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Wolffen

Littleberu said:
OH BUT I WAS SO WROOOOONGGG. Radiant AI is A REVOLUTION.

Allelluia to Radiant AI! No Hyperbole!
takesmaller.jpg
sticksmaller.jpg

out_of.gif

yoursmaller.jpg

curiousdonkeysmaller.jpg

Robobandit said:
I just love the dragon lamps in that picture. Very cool.

damn it.. the wait is getting harder.. :(

If a game can make a wait harder just because it has dragon lamps, then it's easily GOTY. :lol

And, I agree 100% with you.

newsguy

Ok, I've never played any of these titles so I'm going to ask this basic question:

oblivion3602tc.jpg

Say I have a bow and arrow and I shoot this woman in the head with it while she's gently trotting down this peaceful location. Will she fly off in ragdoll style and die while her horse is free for me to ride off on? If so... SOLD

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I have a feeling your mind will be blown when you realize how horrifically evil you can be in this game.

Oh and the soundtrack is fantastic! I was listening to it today while working on my finals.

Speevy

Banned
newsguy said:
Ok, I've never played any of these titles so I'm going to ask this basic question:

oblivion3602tc.jpg

Say I have a bow and arrow and I shoot this woman in the head with it while she's gently trotting down this peaceful location. Will she fly off in ragdoll style and die while her horse is free for me to ride off on? If so... SOLD

You can kill her, and deliver her body as a present to your favorite character.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
newsguy said:

oblivion3602tc.jpg

In a word, yes.

In many words, since damage isn't body part specific, hitting her head will do the same "damage" as anywhere else.

But, you could fire as many arrows as you need to kill her, she'll fall, and then you can do as you please (rob her, drag her about, steal the horse.

newsguy

Speevy said:
You can kill her, and deliver her body as a present to your favorite character.

If this is not a joke I will put my pre-order down tomorrow :lol The only game I've played that seems remotely similar to this was Fable and I didn't really like it. It just looks so ambitious that I feel like I should at least rent it or I'll be missing out on something great.

SnakeXs said:
In a word, yes.

In many words, since damage isn't body part specific, hitting her head will do the same "damage" as anywhere else.

But, you could fire as many arrows as you need to kill her, she'll fall, and then you can do as you please (rob her, drag her about, steal the horse.

Actually, if you shot her in the head she might fly off, whereas if you shot her in the back she would probably slump forward. While damage isn't body specific, the way you hit someone will govern the physics and such.

newsguy said:
If this is not a joke I will put my pre-order down tomorrow :lol The only game I've played that seems remotely similar to this was Fable and I didn't really like it. It just looks so ambitious that I feel like I should at least rent it or I'll be missing out on something great.

He's being very serious, and he is right. You can do that.

O and don't ever compare this game to Fable again. I will forgive you this time though.

SnakeXs

Vyse The Legend said:
Actually, if you shot her in the head she might fly off, whereas if you shot her in the back she would probably slump forward. While damage isn't body specific, the way you hit someone will govern the physics and such.

That is 100% true. Shame on me for not going into further detail. :lol

Speevy

Banned
newsguy said:

It's not actually a joke, but what I mean is that you can drag her body to the feet of another character (or to their home), thus alerting everyone to your crime (murder) and causing guards to chase after you.

Fable does not even begin to compare to what you can do in this series.

Go to the Elder Scrolls forums and read the Oblivion FAQ at the top.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186541

newsguy

Vyse The Legend said:
the way you hit someone will govern the physics and such.

I noticed this in some of the combat vids I saw, it looked impressive. There was a fire spell and whatever beast the guy was fighting went flying back realistically. TBH I would play a game like this for the escapism aspect (hence the arrow to the head question). In this thread I've read so many cool things you can do in the game that aren't related to the story. Come home after a long day of work, ride some horses, slay the dungeon dwellers, make some cool concoction that will destroy something and call it a night.

GreekWolf

Speevy said:
It's not actually a joke, but what I mean is that you can drag her body to the feet of another character (or to their home), thus alerting everyone to your crime (murder) and causing guards to chase after you.
In Morrowind, I had a Daedric armor/weapon collection in one of my many countryside cottages. Shields hanging from the mantle over the fireplace... dai-katanas decorating the walls... it was truly an impressive sight.

This time, I'm planning on a teenage girl collection. :D

Pssh, you're just not evil enough if you're not stealing peoples souls.

Whole armor sets enchanted from the souls of a small town? That's evil.

I love it

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I remember the good old days where trying recreate towns with pillows was an honest man's work. Now we've moved on to collecting teenage girls, TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Pellham

Banned
GreekWolf said:
In Morrowind, I had a Daedric armor/weapon collection in one of my many countryside cottages. Shields hanging from the mantle over the fireplace... dai-katanas decorating the walls... it was truly an impressive sight.

This time, I'm planning on a teenage girl collection. :D

wouldn't dead bodies disappear after a while though? :p

GreekWolf

Pellham said:
wouldn't dead bodies disappear after a while though? :p
I certainly hope so. By my estimations, I'll be bringing in 8-10 fresh... um... "flowers" every day.

The life of a dunmer necromancer is a rewarding one, indeed. :)

Victrix

*beard*
I've avoided this damn hype train for years. Literally years. I swore I'd stay the hell off it. That way I couldn't be disappointed. That way I wouldn't irritate the hell out my friends by ranting about it months in advance.

Sadly, with 6 days remaining, my self control has evaporated

Frothing demand ++

I approach this game with no small amount of trepidation. Even attempting to keep my expectations sane, even with all the weight of jaded gaming cynicism holding it down, even with my bitterness towards the consolization of one of my favorite pc rpg series, I'm still borderline schoolgirl giddy

eeeeeeeee

BuG

Speevy said:
Can you sneakily drag a body to someones house, leave it in sight on their premises and frame them for the crime?

Speevy

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
so i never bought the first one..how much collecting/talking/ rpg elements are there in this game. is there alot of action??

All of that and more. But by talking, I don't mean "long-winded cutscenes". None of that. And yes, action. It's basically one of the biggest RPGs you've ever played, if not the biggest.

fuuuuck, im not a big fan of the genre, but im tossed up between this and battlefield

maybe ill just scre both off ebay. this game looks so good, but i dont know if ill have the time or patience to invest in it

SnakeXs

truffleshuffle83 said:
so i never bought the first one..how much collecting/talking/ rpg elements are there in this game. is there alot of action??

You mispelled "third".

Anyways, as much as you want. If you want you can talk a ton. If you want you can item/equipment/goods hunt a lot. If you want you can go dungeon crawling and fight a lot.

The "RPG elements" are off kilter. They're there. They dictate your skills, and how good you do things, and stats, but there's no leveling, and it pretty much happens behind the scenes. As you do stuff, you naturally get better at it.

rod

Banned
hi guys...im new to this kind of rpg genre, well not entirely, ok well i HATED morrowind and jade empire (dunno if this will be similar but thats the closest i can think of, i love jrpgs tho)

what kind of rpg is this and will i like it?

rod said:
hi guys...im new to this kind of rpg genre, well not entirely, ok well i HATED morrowind and jade empire (dunno if this will be similar but thats the closest i can think of, i love jrpgs tho)

What did you hate about Morrowind?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
rod said:

if you hated morrowind, i dont think you'll like this.

why did you hate morrowind?

Speevy

Banned
rod said:

Have you played Dragon Quest 8? Final Fantasy X? Xenosaga? Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne? Disgaea? Dark Cloud 2?

Okay, it's absolutely nothing like any of those games.

rod said:

It depends on what you disliked about Morrowind, like people have mentioned. But most likely this isn't your bag man. Its basically a first person (can be 3rd but we all know its never any good) RPG.

Its very stat heavy, the story is usually very NON linear, to the point where you used to be able to kill characters central to the story line (they pass out in Oblivion, unless they are no longer part of the main story and then KILL AWAY)

It can, and almost always has been, DAUNTING to get started when it comes to The Elder Scrolls, your a babe lost in the woods, you don't know where SHIT is, you can barely kill a rat, but thats the FUN of it. You start out as some piece of shit no body, but by the end you're killing GODS.

man I'm pumped now...where's a hooker

raYne

Speevy said:
Have you played Dragon Quest 8? Final Fantasy X? Xenosaga? Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne? Disgaea? Dark Cloud 2?

:lol

rod

Banned
Speevy said:

:lol yeh i kinda figured just by looking at it...so wow if i didnt like morrowind i wont like this game? i dont know what i didnt like about it it just felt so...i dunno, complicated, boring, silly, and also too "big" i guess, i just couldnt get into it pretty much its hard to pin point, its kinda the same reason i didnt like jade empire, couldnt get into it...in saying that i really disliked all ghost recons beforehand, but graw rocks :)

Speevy

Banned
You should always try each game on its own before judging, and Jade Empire isn't really like Morrowind.

However, if you don't like games that are "big", you should probably skip Oblivion. Its sole purpose is to provide a vast world and a player-customized, non-linear fantasy adventure.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
rod said:
:lol yeh i kinda figured just by looking at it...so wow if i didnt like morrowind i wont like this game? i dont know what i didnt like about it it just felt so...i dunno, complicated, boring, silly, and also too "big" i guess, i just couldnt get into it pretty much its hard to pin point, its kinda the same reason i didnt like jade empire, couldnt get into it...in saying that i really disliked all ghost recons beforehand, but graw rocks :)

I also wasn't that fond of morrowind. However, the more I read about this game the more it seems that they fixed all the things I didn't like or thought were implimented "half-assed".

Definitly with the new journal / compass they seem to have the organization high so you don't get lost. That was easily my biggest problem in Morrowind.

eso76

How can anyone complain about graphics and trees in the distance is beyond me.
No game has ever done anything like this on such a large scale.
I'm going to spend my holidays in tamriel this year..

xabre

Banned
Who the hell am I kidding, I'm buying an Xbox 360 for this game. Yeah I'm getting GRAW and PDZ also but Oblivion is the real reason for my interest. I'd like the acquire the PC version at some point too for the purposes of creating my own quest series with the TES construction kit.

Borys

Banned
rod said:

You
rod said:
The Elder Scrolls 3.

I don't think you will like The Elder Scrolls 4 but hey - it's your money.

xabre

Banned
rod said:
it just felt so...i dunno, complicated, boring, silly, and also too "big" i guess, i just couldnt get into it pretty much its hard to pin point

Yeah best stick with your 'If I've played one I've played 'em all' jrpgs.

rod

Banned
xabre said:
Yeah best stick with your 'If I've played one I've played 'em all' jrpgs.

i havent really liked many jrpgs this gen to be honest...didnt like bof5, ffx was ok, dq8 i hated also, so your comment is pretty dumb

eso76

i don't know, morrowind might have felt boring and complicated at first; for someone who's not used to western rpg's the amount of stats, items, quests, stuff the game throws at you in the first few minutes is overwhelming and enough to scare a lot of people away: the game doesn't do much to entertain you and doesn't look particularly attractive *at first*; Oblivion probably does a much better job at this, with it's gorgeous landscape and deeper combat system, it will probably give players in the initial phase a better incentive at going on.
Anyway, you just have to take your time, knowing everything will feel natural soon, and yet the amount of stats, items, quest, stuff which has scared you at first assures you'll still be finding and learning new things 50, 100 hours into the game.

eso76

how long will it take to reach those mountains on foot ? (third screen)

how long is a night-day cycle ? i don't think it was ever mentioned

how long will it take to get out of that damn first dungeon ?

how long till i get my hands on the game ? : \

Tek

Sp3eD said:
I also wasn't that fond of morrowind. However, the more I read about this game the more it seems that they fixed all the things I didn't like or thought were implimented "half-assed".

Definitly with the new journal / compass they seem to have the organization high so you don't get lost. That was easily my biggest problem in Morrowind.

I bought Morrowind for 20.00 awhile back. I was overwhelmed and definitely wasnt ready to put that amount of time into it. I didnt enjoy the battle aspect...it was very clunky. As far as it being big is alright. I remembered putting 100+ hours in DW7.

I'm also getting a guide for this game...which normally I wouldn't do this, but a game this huge...I think a guide wouldnt hurt. I also took a week of vacation off of work and my wife did the same just for this game.

So, should most stores have this in a week from today, the 21st...or the 20th?

SiegfriedFM said:
I think a guide for this game is pretty much useless for obvious reasons.

The only game I ever bought a guide for was Daggerfall. It was huge. Like 300 pages, and it offered tones of information about the world, where to find things, different cultures, etc. It was awesome. If the guide for Oblivion is as good as that one, it may be worth having. That said, I won't be using a guide this time out.

Top Bottom