• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

chigiri said:
I hope it wasnt that cave, think the name was Swampy Cave(?) that later involves a Fighters Guild quest (which populates the cave) that now ends up bugged due to you visiting the cave before the quest was active.
No, that wasn't it.

I cleared out Swampy Cave last night.

:(

On a related note:

Where's the 360 patch, Bethesda!?!?!

gblues

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I love the variety of the dungeon design. A few standouts among the dozens and dozens I've done:

*A cave with the entrance on the side of a hill, and the exit in the middle of a lake. (At the bottom.)
*A cave with rats and crabs in the first floor. No problem! Then four Dread Zombies, a bunch of Wights, Ghosts and skeleton summoners on the second floor. And you had to fight pretty much all of them at once. Talk about lulling me off my guard.
*A cave with NO ENEMIES at all. Spooky.
*A ruin with a nasty boss battle at the end - the King of something or other. Wicked battle.

Oblivion gates are springing up faster than I can close them. I've done five, and I see about a dozen more to go. And I'm just starting my rounds to get help for
Bruma, on the second city now,
so I expect lots and lots more. And they are all HUGE inside. Damn.

I think I know 2 of the dungeons you're talking about, the first and last one.

First:
the secret passage between the castle and that mage's tower for one of the Thieves' Guild quests.
Second:
Miscargand. I survived that with 40% chameleon, 75+% sneak, and the Skeleton Key. Little did I know that that bastard will follow you around the countryside!! I learned this about 20 hours later, when he showed up in the Imperial City and the guards killed him for me.

Nathan

Xenon said:
Any word on what this is going to fix. My game has become almost unplayable. The commands seem to lag now(For instance I press X to draw my weapon and it takes like 4 seconds for the game to respond) What used to be quick load pauses now are way too long. The game also has been locking up on me. I can't remember a single session where it has not locked up since I started having problems. =( I guess I was lucky because up until my 120th hour I had only one problem. I have tried the "A" button thing with no luck.

MS needs to add a defrag or chkdsk to their system tools.

My new system was just like that. This is what Dr Cogent figured out for me.

Save your gameand any purchased content for Oblivion to a Memory Unit and move your gamer profile to that Memory Unit

Then unplug the Memory Unit.

Then go to your system settings and re-format the hard drive.

Then move your profile and saved game and purchased content back to the hard drive.

Good as new and FAST

You can always redownload your Marketplace purchaed games

GreekWolf

GhaleonEB said:
I love the variety of the dungeon design. A few standouts among the dozens and dozens I've done:
Have you done the Pale Pass quest yet? Possibly the best dungeon in the game ( and loads of secret items/hidden loot! )

There was one really nice dungeon, I don't remember the name or location, but you started off in a cave and then went through a broken wall that opened up into an Ayleid ruin.

gblues

Banned
Confidence Man said:
There was one really nice dungeon, I don't remember the name or location, but you started off in a cave and then went through a broken wall that opened up into an Ayleid ruin.

Sideways Cave FTW.

Nathan

GhaleonEB

Well, that's two hard crashes in two days now. Yesterday I wanted to show my wife a new bow. I lined up a shot on a wolf, nailed it, and the game locked up. Had to reboot, and lost a good half-hour in the process.

Now I'm doing an investigation quest in Chorral (sp). I got the key, opened a door, and it's stuck at the loading screen. Again, just over a half-hour down the tubes, including lots of bartering, which is a pain to re-do.

Fuck.

HOW ABOUT THAT 360 PATCH, BETSHESDA?!?!?!?

Dammit, apparently I just f'ed something up and didn't even know it.
I did the Order of the Virtuous Blood quest, did what was told, and finished it, getting 250 gold. Apparently (according to my friend), if I would have talked to the man I was sent to kill (Roland), it would open up something different and allow me to take Vampire Dust to these people for 250 gold each. Son of a bitch. Roland's now dead because I had no idea about that.
I'm guessing there's no way of getting around this, short of reloading previously? I save almost all the time and for some reason didn't this time.. previous save is about an hour before.. :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh damn, i was about to do that quest yesterday, but went to sleep instead.
I just started the quest. I was surely going to kill the bastard.
Except i always talk to the victms before
but oh well, at least now i know! :D

maybe you want to spoiler tag some of that tho?

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
seriously?
the guy was hiding in his house all day sending people to find you, and all the NPCs were making it blatantly clear to you that vampires are deceptive, that and the predictable pattern alot of these quests follow, of course the guy was a vampire and Roland was innocent!

but it was a really fun quest

Ash Housewares said:
seriously?
the guy was hiding in his house all day sending people to find you, and all the NPCs were making it blatantly clear to you that vampires are deceptive, that and the predictable pattern alot of these quests follow, of course the guy was a vampire and Roland was innocent!

but it was a really fun quest

Yah seriously. :D But I decided it was just worth it to reload after realizing I hadn't really done that much in my missing hour, so yeah.. I redid the quest this "right" way.. much better. :D

GhaleonEB

The game locked up on me again just now. I was in an Oblivion gate, sprinting towards the stone - and *bam* game freezes.

And I hadn't saved since the start of the gate. :(

That's three in two days.

Uncle

I downloaded the DLCs (sans horse armor) and now it takes ages to browse through my saves (I have about 20 or so). Is this normal?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
im pretty meh on this game so far, the overworld suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks combat is also sort of lame but tolerable. (it could get better as i get more skills though)

horse riding fucking BLOWS

TeTr1C

Fuck...I finished the Dark Brotherhood missions awhile ago, and I want to know
where the fuck my horse Shadowmere went? For a while when I would fast travel, it would just say "Horse is at city gates" or something like that, but it doesn't do that anymore!
And I'm afraid I've lost it forever! Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
TeTr1C said:
Fuck...I finished the Dark Brotherhood missions awhile ago, and I want to know
where the fuck my horse Shadowmere went? For a while when I would fast travel, it would just say "Horse is at city gates" or something like that, but it doesn't do that anymore!
And I'm afraid I've lost it forever! Any suggestions as to what I can do?

go back to where you first got him. When you "lose" a horse, thats where they go.

GhaleonEB

sp0rsk said:
im pretty meh on this game so far, the overworld suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks combat is also sort of lame but tolerable. (it could get better as i get more skills though)

horse riding fucking BLOWS
Hey now the combat is awesome, just give it a chance. I think Oblivion is one of the best hack'n slash games ever. Learn to block, parry, strike. And USE POISONS. But yeah it's all about dungeons for me. Good thing there's like 200+ of them.

And yes, absolutely everything having to do with horses is broken and crappy. I was flat-out insulted that horse-armor was the first DLC. How about FIXING horses, Bethesda?

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Biglesworth23 said:
Yah seriously. :D But I decided it was just worth it to reload after realizing I hadn't really done that much in my missing hour, so yeah.. I redid the quest this "right" way.. much better. :D

good, totally worth it in terms of funness

raYne

BigJonsson said:
hmmm

which merchant has the most gold?
Unless you invest in a store, the highest you'll find are merchants with 1200. Investing gives them an extra 500 or so, but you need to be a Merchantile Expert (75+).

As for the listing of 1200g merchants:

Orrin (Anvil Castle, Anvil)
Mach-Na (Mach-Na's Books, Cheydinhal)
Rasheda (Fire and Steel, Chorrol)
Rohssan (A Fighting Chance, Imperial City)
Agnete the Pickled (Hammer and Tongs, Skingrad)

raYne said:
Unless you invest in a store, the highest you'll find are merchants with 1200. Investing gives them an extra 500 or so, but you need to be a Merchantile Expert (75+).

As for the listing of 1200g merchants:

Orrin (Anvil Castle, Anvil)
Mach-Na (Mach-Na's Books, Cheydinhal)
Rasheda (Fire and Steel, Chorrol)
Rohssan (A Fighting Chance, Imperial City)
Agnete the Pickled (Hammer and Tongs, Skingrad)

Darn

Nerevar said:
go back to where you first got him. When you "lose" a horse, thats where they go.

Awesome, I'll have to try that later. I was just coming into this thread to ask the very same question.. thank you. :D But now that I think about it.. where did I get Shadowmere? Uhh.. crap.

GhaleonEB

Just wanted to say farewell now that we've been de-coupled from the mothership. Thanks everyone for the tons and tons of help in this thread. It's been fun.

Closing thoughts for this thread -

Were I to review this game, I'd summarize it by saying this game is next-gen design and a first-gen candy shell for the 360. I wish it had "cooked" for six more months to polish up the visuals and tweak broken elements, such as the horses; then perhaps would the visual splendor match the game world.

But on the basis of what does work, the game is brilliant. No game has better tapped into the desire to explore in me - I've spent hours swimming underwater looking for stuff (not much there, sadly), I've done dozens and dozens of optional dungeons, always with the thought, "hmmm, I wonder what's in there?" I've loved every dungeon I've done. Still having fun in them.

I spent $70 on this game, and I would have spent $100 and been happy. There's just that much to do and see, and yet I find it accessable somehow. Just enough hand-holding that I don't get overwhelmed and driven away. Perhaps the only thing that goes to far is the fast-travel system. But I just don't use it.

It's my first Elder Scrolls game, and it won't be my last.

Now where's my freaking 360 patch, Bethesda?

Vark

GhaleonEB said:
Now where's my freaking 360 patch, Bethesda?

I'd walk over and ask a programmer but they all seem to be at home like freaks.

FREAKS.

Anyway. Almost 3 months and 7,700 replies.. Ya'll rock!

Nerevar

just completed a daedric quest and found my new favorite dungeon.
The quest for Veaermina (sp?) where you infiltrate that wizard's tower who is constantly stuck in Nighmare world. I loved how you had more weird stuff at every turn, like the completely oversized room, the trapdoor to the tower surrounded by fire, the "void" room, it was just really well done.

Well, after suffering through a week long ban, I'm finally back on GAF. (I brought the ban on myself, so no one else to blame! :lol ) I see we're unstickied again, but still had some comments on Oblivion.

Played a bunch over the weekend, working on the Brotherhood quest line at the moment, which is just awesome. Definitly the best of the bunch as far as the guild quests go. I wanted to finish up the Thieves Guild first, but a bug is preventing me from making progress there.

I was working on the quest called Ajanti's Heirloom, or something similar. It's the one where you break into the castle to steal a ring from the countess. Well, I did all that just fine, but I noticed in my inventory that I had two rings. And when I try to give the ring to Ajanti to complete the quest, she appears to not see it at all, and won't let me finish up. Because it's a quest item, I can't remove it either, which is a major pain. So for now, it looks like this character will not be able to finish the thieves guild quests, meaning I won't be able to become Master of all the guilds, and unless I do the thieves guild with someone else, I won't be able to get all the achievements either. Anyone else run into something like this? Hope the patch fixes it!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to start playing again but dam I need a patch.

Looking back now it kind of sours such a remarkable experience.

Reasons I have stopped playing

- Vampirism cure glitched (I have enjoyed being a vampire but I want to cure it now)
- Fighters Guild Quest line Glitched

GhaleonEB

Yeah, apparantly I've broken the Fighter's Guild quest line by going into a cave and clearing it out, not knowing it was tied to a quest there. So now I'm on to the Theive's guild and Dark Brotherhood. I should be in the Arcane University soon. Hopefully I don't glitch any of those. 0_0

Got patch, Bethesda? This is getting pretty bad.

Yeah, it's a little depressing finding these quest glitches that prevent you from completing quests, but the ones that prevent you from completing the guild quests are really bad. I wonder if the intended patch addresses any of these.

Fortunately, I have another character that is pretty far along in the thieves guild quests, so I should be able to complete it, but I'm enjoying this character more, and was hoping to become Guild Master for all four of the guilds. (I've already completed fighters guild, mage guild, arena quests, and the Main Quest.)

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, apparantly I've broken the Fighter's Guild quest line by going into a cave and clearing it out, not knowing it was tied to a quest there. So now I'm on to the Theive's guild and Dark Brotherhood. I should be in the Arcane University soon. Hopefully I don't glitch any of those. 0_0

Got patch, Bethesda? This is getting pretty bad.

If The ring quest for the thieves guild does break, you won't be able to finish the the Thieves guild quests. But the Harlun's Watch quest for the fighters guild doesn't stop you from continuing on. Just make sure you've done the quests from Azzan if you have any left and you should be able to proceed
to the Blackwood Company quests by talking to the Dunmer in Chorrol.

The Dark One

DarkMage619 said:
If The ring quest for the thieves guild does break, you won't be able to finish the the Thieves guild quests. But the Harlun's Watch quest for the fighters guild doesn't stop you from continuing on. Just make sure you've done the quests from Azzan if you have any left and you should be able to proceed
to the Blackwood Company quests by talking to the Dunmer in Chorrol.

The Dark One

I've read elsewhere that even if the ring quest is broken, eventually you can continue on, but so far no such luck for me. I'm going to finish off the Dark Brotherhood quests first, then see if I can advance the Thieves Guild line again.

Akia

How did this thread get un stickied?

I know this is the longest thread in GAF history but is it also the longest sticky?

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I wonder if the intended patch addresses any of these.

These are from the PC beta patch release notes:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patchnotes5.htm

Quest Fixes

If you are permanently expelled from Mages Guild, you can now go back into the Mages Guild buildings.

In The Siren's Deception, the player can no longer get locked outside Gweden farmhouse if they exit too quickly.

In the Light the Dragonfires quest, fixed an issue where player controls get locked if player accidentally hits Ocato during the final battle in the Imperial Palace.

In the Confront the King quest, fixed an issue where Mannimarco would occasionally stop fighting the player while the player's controls are locked.

In Corruption and Conscience, fixed an issue if player got to Llevana's house earlier than expected and she would initiate trespass behavior rather than move the quest forward.

In Theranis' Mistake, it is no longer possible to get multiple copies of Ahdarji's ring. Also, fixed an issue with player receiving Blood Price topic too early in the quest.

In the Leyawiin Recommendation quest, it is no longer possible to bypass Kalthar in Fort Blueblood.

In Revenge Served Cold, Corrick will now recognize when player had the jade amulet in their inventory if No Stone Unturned quest had been previously completed.

In Infiltration, player can no longer kill Blackwood Company members and stop progress in Fighter's Guild.

In Dark Brotherhood, if you kill fellow members and get kicked out of the guild, you can no longer continue to progress in the questline until you redeem yourself and get back in.

In The Master's Son, the player now properly receives their reward when completing the quest.

In Caught in the Hunt, fixed an issue where NPCs would not go into combat properly.

In the Cheydinhal Recommendation quest, fixed an issue where Vidkun's body would disappear if you left the well.

Getting disqualified from the first Arena match no longer blocks you from further matches.

In Till Death Do They Part, the Count no longer rewards player with gold more than once. Fixed an issue with not receiving the Vampire Ashes topic if the player picked up vampire ashes before getting the quest. Fixed issue where Bloodgrass topic was not added if player finished the Main Quest before starting quest. Hal-Liurz will now follow player properly when asked about the cure.

In Mystery and Harlun's Watch, the dead body you are supposed to find will no longer disappear from Swampy Cave if you cleared out the dungeon before starting the quest.

In Blood of the Daedra, Martin will now recognize Spellbreaker as a Daedric artifact.

In When the Vow Breaks, fixed an issue where a second instance of Rockshatter would reappear back on Bjalfi's dead corpse after saving and reloading.

In Paranoia, game no longer crashes when Bernadette Peneles exits the city while you are following her.

Akia said:
How did this thread get un stickied?

I know this is the longest thread in GAF history but is it also the longest sticky?

It got unsticked over the weekend, and since I was banned for a week, I still wanted to talk Oblivion when I got back. :D It may be unstickied, but there is still interest in talking about this awesome game. But, considering it was a long Memorial Day weekend, I think they may have unstickied a little too quickly.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but i'm doing the mage guild quests and i'm suposed to go to a specific dungeon when a sign of the "Revenant" or something like that appears on the sky. I don't know what i'm looking for or when it's supposed to happen...

Nerevar

TheGuardian said:
I don't know if this has been asked before, but i'm doing the mage guild quests and i'm suposed to go to a specific dungeon when a sign of the "Revenant" or something like that appears on the sky. I don't know what i'm looking for or when it's supposed to happen...

I don't know if it matters or not, just go to the dungeon that your map marker points you to and you should see a necromancer make a black soul gem. I went there and saw it happen while it was still light outside, I think.

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Vark: Thanks for the list man! You came through for us again! :) Sadly, the quest that I'm stuck on, is not on that list. :(

The Thieves guild? It's listed there but I believe the fix is to keep you from getting duplicate versions of the ring to begin with. I honestly don't know if it will help once its already happened.

Vark

Nerevar said:
I don't know if it matters or not, just go to the dungeon that your map marker points you to and you should see a necromancer make a black soul gem. I went there and saw it happen while it was still light outside, I think.

It only happens certain days of the week but I forget which days just go to Echo Cave and wait 24hrs at a time until a giant purple light appears over the altar thats outside.

Vark said:
The Thieves guild? It's listed there but I believe the fix is to keep you from getting duplicate versions of the ring to begin with. I honestly don't know if it will help once its already happened.

Ahh...ok. I see it now. I was looking for the wrong name. Hopefully it will remove one of the two from your inventory if you're already stuck in that quest. Thanks again Vark!

So I finally started playing this last week and I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm in the main city and I know I have to find some dude. But, other than that, I'm not sure what to do because there's just too much to do. I know alot of people I have talked to mention stuff about the theives guild. But, I kinda wanted to do other guilds first. Am I sorta forced to do the thieves guild first?

PhatSaqs

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
So I finally started playing this last week and I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm in the main city and I know I have to find some dude. But, other than that, I'm not sure what to do because there's just too much to do. I know alot of people I have talked to mention stuff about the theives guild. But, I kinda wanted to do other guilds first. Am I sorta forced to do the thieves guild first?
You can do anything you want in any order you want AFAIK.

Nerevar

siamesedreamer said:

? No, you can do any guild you want. Thieves guild is actually kind of hard to get started with, most people were probably recommending it because the quality of the quests is high.

Oh, and finding the guy is easy. Just go to your quest page and make the quest "active" by highlighting it and selecting it. From there, just follow the red / green arrow on your map (or on the compass in the main screen) - that will take you directly to them.

StRaNgE

Banned
i must just so suck at this game. my guy is weaker then anything.

one of the 1st missions i got was behind some bar in a cave and i can not beat anyone without leading them out of the cave to kill them with the help of a gaurd down below.

not to mention the ghost on the ship in the town on the far left of the map are kicking my arse.

what is an easy way to level up your charecter?
this blows, i want super human killing power!!!

Nerevar

StRaNgE said:
i must just so suck at this game. my guy is weaker then anything.

one of the 1st missions i got was behind some bar in a cave and i can not beat anyone without leading them out of the cave to kill them with the help of a gaurd down below.

not to mention the ghost on the ship in the town on the far left of the map are kicking my arse.

what is an easy way to level up your charecter?
this blows, i want super human killing power!!!

Hate to tell you, but the enemies will only get stronger as you level up, and they'll actually get harder to beat. The best thing to do is to reduce the difficulty slider in the menu under "gameplay" until you feel more confident in the combat mechanics.

Top Bottom