• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sirolf

Ahaha i found a way!!
Well if you create an UK account to download the Oblivion content,you're just here :D (Even with the french version )
I can confirm it ;)

Vark

Sirolf said:
Merci quand même !! ^^
Sais tu simplement si on n'aura jamais rien ou si c'est reporté à une date ultérieure ?
Encore merci :)

[/FRENCH OFF]

Yea I dunno what the plans are unfortunately. I can't see them NOT releasing stuff, its just usually legal rights or localizations that hold up these kind of things. Like many things in business it takes a lot of time for it to get resolved.

Edit: Yay for workarounds.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
About the workaround, that stuff then does not tie to the LIVE account you bought it with and you can use it while playing Oblivion with your main character ?

Sirolf

No Panajev !!
I downloaded the DLC with my UK account and then proceeded to play Oblivion with my french account.:)
It is not tied to any accounts in particular.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I have an out-of the box Macbook Pro. The cheaper one:

1.83 Ghz Core Duo
512 MB 667 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Can I run oblivion? Main thing I'm worried about is the RAM... I totally should have thrown another 512 in there when I bought it.

KEEP IN MIND that I'm not a hardcore PC gamer guy... I played WoW on my old laptop at about 24-30FPS and had plenty of fun with it. I don't need all the shit jacked up and a super-high res.

According to the back of the box I'm just scraping the minimum requirements, but companies seem to have different standards for minimum. Some are like "lol it'll boot up" but for others the minimum means you'll still get an OK framerate if you turn most graphic settings to like medium...

Soo any advice would be appreciated. I got the game free at E3 (being press rules), but I don't wanna install bootcamp for no reason...

bengraven

Seriously, where was this mod when I was doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests!? Now I'm all heroic (as in: reformed) and...and...oh fuck it, I can't wait to download it.

I won't be downloading it for a few weeks, though, since I'm moving and won't be online. So, my question is: where IS this cave if it appears in the normal game? So I can have a fast-travel marker set for when it's downloaded? Rayne?

raYne

Eh? You don't need to set the marker in advance. Once you dl the new content as soon as you load your game file you'll get a scroll that tells you the back story. It'll also give you a map marker so you know where you should be going. FYI this is how all new downloaded content work.

If you must know, it's under Anvil Castle. The entrance itself is south of the castle near the water's edge. You can go into the cave (I did, way before the new content), but you won't be able to access the actual Den since it's closed off until you get the new content.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh Oblivion.. I love thee...

Ok.. so, by accident actually, i made the Unicorn my horse. I didn't want to
kill it for the daedric quest because, cmon, it's a f*cking unicorn.
. So i wasn't going to mess with it. Anyway, on some walking around joking, i took mounted the unicorn and
fleed from the minotaurs (just cause)
... Since when i unmounted from it, it started walking on it's on, i though he would go back to his place.

Anyway, since i didn't do anything, I quicksave and keep going with my errands.

A couple hours (and saves later) I decided to quicktravel somewhere and, behold, the message that my horse was stabled outside the city showed up.

Much to my surprise, the damn unicorn was stabled there. Oh well, i guess i have a horse now (even tho i wont use it).

Anyway, a couple days (real days) later, i notice that, every now and then, when i'm on the Imperial Market, i keep getting the "Snak Gra-Bura is unconscious" message, out of no-fucking-were... i'm not doing anywhing, and bam, the message shows up.
I want a little longer, the message shows up again...

I google to find out who Snak Gra-Bura is and i find out that she's the
woman from the horse armor download content
, and that she hangs around at the stable in imperial city. I go there, to see what the hell is going on that she's becoming unconscious (and the game decided to tell me that), to find out my unicorn BEATING THE HELL OUT OF HER for no reason at all!

I even parked the unicorn outside of the stable, and after a while, he starts walking abck to it on it's on (why the hell does it do that, btw? I can't dismount it and go battle with some dude, when i come back, the horse is gone?). The moment it enters the stable, Snak Gra-Bura goes into fighting stance, the unicorn gets insane and beats her dead. Since she can't die, she just goes unconscious, and the game tells me. She wakes up, sees the Unicorn, and it all starts again.

I have no idea why this happens. I just found it absurdely funny.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Vark said:
Yea I dunno what the plans are unfortunately. I can't see them NOT releasing stuff, its just usually legal rights or localizations that hold up these kind of things. Like many things in business it takes a lot of time for it to get resolved.

Edit: Yay for workarounds.
All the DLC's are now finally available to people outside the UK in Europe! They were all released yesterday it seems.

Oh and for using a UK account to DL then play on another profile, should you ever have to switch 360 for whatever reason, I hear you'll only be able to use the DLC with the profile you originally downloaded it to and not others. I have no first hand experience with this but that's what some friends are telling me, and is the reason I've held off doing it personally.

xabre

Banned
Ok in the thieves den there's a door leading to a dining hall that can't be opened without a key. So, where's the key?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
xabre said:
Ok in the thieves den there's a door leading to a dining hall that can't be opened without a key. So, where's the key?

It's probably that Anvil Castle key, or some variant thereof, available from any Anvil Castle guard... Just assuming, though, as I didn't try mine.

LOVE the Thieves Den. I think the greatest addition is the practice treasure chest! It's a locked chest that you can just keep picking over and over and over. After each successful pick, it instantly relocks and puts you back to the beginning lockpick screen.

The 4 part diary was a fun read. The new spells weren't very useful, but only because my guy isn't a stealth type. I can see starting over with a sneaky bastid and having fun with this place, that's for sure.

I love how when you order them to go pillage they go running off, I lol'd at that one.

Kudos to Vark, and the rest of the team!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
drizzle said:
Oh Oblivion.. I love thee...

Ok.. so, by accident actually, i made the Unicorn my horse. I didn't want to
kill it for the daedric quest because, cmon, it's a f*cking unicorn.
. So i wasn't going to mess with it. Anyway, on some walking around joking, i took mounted the unicorn and
fleed from the minotaurs (just cause)
... Since when i unmounted from it, it started walking on it's on, i though he would go back to his place.

Anyway, since i didn't do anything, I quicksave and keep going with my errands.

A couple hours (and saves later) I decided to quicktravel somewhere and, behold, the message that my horse was stabled outside the city showed up.

Much to my surprise, the damn unicorn was stabled there. Oh well, i guess i have a horse now (even tho i wont use it).

Anyway, a couple days (real days) later, i notice that, every now and then, when i'm on the Imperial Market, i keep getting the "Snak Gra-Bura is unconscious" message, out of no-fucking-were... i'm not doing anywhing, and bam, the message shows up.
I want a little longer, the message shows up again...

I google to find out who Snak Gra-Bura is and i find out that she's the
woman from the horse armor download content
, and that she hangs around at the stable in imperial city. I go there, to see what the hell is going on that she's becoming unconscious (and the game decided to tell me that), to find out my unicorn BEATING THE HELL OUT OF HER for no reason at all!

I even parked the unicorn outside of the stable, and after a while, he starts walking abck to it on it's on (why the hell does it do that, btw? I can't dismount it and go battle with some dude, when i come back, the horse is gone?). The moment it enters the stable, Snak Gra-Bura goes into fighting stance, the unicorn gets insane and beats her dead. Since she can't die, she just goes unconscious, and the game tells me. She wakes up, sees the Unicorn, and it all starts again.

I have no idea why this happens. I just found it absurdely funny.

Orcs eat horses. If you go to the imperial city stables and talk to them about buying a horse, they'll tell you the owner of the stable prefers horses for food rather than riding. I didn't know she'd get into a fight with the unicorn over it though :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nerevar said:
Orcs eat horses. If you go to the imperial city stables and talk to them about buying a horse, they'll tell you the owner of the stable prefers horses for food rather than riding. I didn't know she'd get into a fight with the unicorn over it though :lol

Hahaha, that's rght! She even tells me that there were some horses missing from somewhere and they didn't know where they went to.. <BURP>

then i ask if she ate them and she starts "well, with a little salt... oh wait, i almost walked right into that one"... :lol

I wonder if she tried to eat the unicorn and he got pisased at her... i mean, there's
only one in the entire land
.. they should taste different, right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
chigiri said:
All the DLC's are now finally available to people outside the UK in Europe! They were all released yesterday it seems.

I do not mean to be offensive towards you (just too angry at Take2 and Ms right now), but it IS bullcrap... at least for Italy, we still have not gotten JACK of the DLC add-ons.

Still... I found the phone number of their Italian offices (through an external site because it is the only bit on info that take2 does not put on their italian site regarding the company offices... and no, this is not the 199 number for Technical Assistance... yeah, like you are scre$ing with me and I will pay money to bitch at you... ;)).

Let the phone bitching begin.

Edit: anyone can find the same number, just copy and paste the address they give (in full) into a certain search engine and voila'.

Uncle

Panajev2001a said:
I do not mean to be offensive towards you (just too angry at Take2 and Ms right now), but it IS bullcrap... at least for Italy, we still have not gotten JACK of the DLC add-ons.

I think they were released just in the Nordic countries, as we don't have any localisations in the game. Seems like someone at Bethesda/MS finally woke up and realised this as well.

xabre said:

I found the key in the Main Cabin inside a chest. It's called the Smuggler's Key.

Nerevar

Mostlypainless said:
Is there a trick to building up MP? I'm at level 32,and I am not even close to having enough MP to cast Finger of the Mountain.

magic maxes out at 2 * (your intelligence) + (racial / birthsign modifiers).

Keep in mind that as you increase a magic skill, the cost to cast spells in that school goes down.

Some spells (custom-made ones or, in this case, fingers of the mountain) are always very expensive to cast.
Fingers of the mountain scales to the level you complete the quest, which also scales the magic cost upwards. If you get fingers of the mountain at a high level, it's very likely you will never be able to cast it.

GhaleonEB said:
Yes - you need to level up your Intelligence. The more Intelligence you have, the more Magika you gain with each level. Willpower will help it regenerate faster.

eh ... that's a bit misleading. Magicka is not like endurance, the amount you have is "fixed". Your magicka always is 2 * intelligence + any bonuses. If you level up and you don't put any extra points into intelligence, you won't get any extra magicka that level.

GhaleonEB

Mostlypainless said:
Is there a trick to building up MP? I'm at level 32,and I am not even close to having enough MP to cast Finger of the Mountain.
Yes - you need to level up your Intelligence. The more Intelligence you have, the more Magika you gain with each level. Willpower will help it regenerate faster.

GhaleonEB

Nerevar said:
eh ... that's a bit misleading. Magicka is not like endurance, the amount you have is "fixed". Your magicka always is 2 * intelligence + any bonuses. If you level up and you don't put any extra points into intelligence, you won't get any extra magicka that level.
That's exactly what I mean - increase your intelligence to gain magicka.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nerevar said:
Some spells (custom-made ones or, in this case, fingers of the mountain) are always very expensive to cast.
Fingers of the mountain scales to the level you complete the quest, which also scales the magic cost upwards. If you get fingers of the mountain at a high level, it's very likely you will never be able to cast it.

Yeahhhhh.... my fingoer of the mountain takes away
200 health on strike, BUT, it takes 2329 magica points to cast...
I'm figuring i wont ever have a level of dectruction high enough to cast it (unless the mana required decrease by level increase is REALLY GOOD, is i';m only in the 40s on destruction spells)...

Oh well. Serves me right for doing it at level 27 (not like i knew it was avalaible before)...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Uncle said:
I think they were released just in the Nordic countries, as we don't have any localisations in the game. Seems like someone at Bethesda/MS finally woke up and realised this as well.

I would be much happier if they had NEVER localized the game. The translation job is full of grammatical and spelling errors as well as some completely changed meaning of some sentences ("inverting who was protecting what/who").

A lot of other customers liked this idea I am sure, but next-time I will know to pre-order a version from the U.K. to be safe :) (yeah, I know I am repetitive ;)).

nubbe

I must say the last quest in the thieves guild was totaly awesome.

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild had the greatest quests! Nothing is more fun than sneaking around stealing and killing. :D

xabre

Banned
Final question regarding thieves den. If you store shit inside the chests will it stay there as if you were storing it inside your house or will it dissapear?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:
I have an out-of the box Macbook Pro. The cheaper one:

1.83 Ghz Core Duo
512 MB 667 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Can I run oblivion? Main thing I'm worried about is the RAM... I totally should have thrown another 512 in there when I bought it.

KEEP IN MIND that I'm not a hardcore PC gamer guy... I played WoW on my old laptop at about 24-30FPS and had plenty of fun with it. I don't need all the shit jacked up and a super-high res.

According to the back of the box I'm just scraping the minimum requirements, but companies seem to have different standards for minimum. Some are like "lol it'll boot up" but for others the minimum means you'll still get an OK framerate if you turn most graphic settings to like medium...

Soo any advice would be appreciated. I got the game free at E3 (being press rules), but I don't wanna install bootcamp for no reason...

Anyone? :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Nerevar said:
magic maxes out at 2 * (your intelligence) + (racial / birthsign modifiers).

Keep in mind that as you increase a magic skill, the cost to cast spells in that school goes down.

:lol no wonder Finger of the Mountain is so damned lame. I got it early and it does 6 damage, and it was supposed to be
this amazingly powerful spell that is worth risking death for
. Ooh, six damage. I'm scared.

Of course, it does allow for the best game of all time, corpse golf. It really tends to fling a dead body a good hundred feet.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn you arrows of immolation...

I got 10 of them on the 10 player arena daedric quest, from the archer.
Anywhere else in the damn game where i can get them? Thinking i was gonna be able to enchant arrows later, i didn't care for them

Now i want some (because they're so cool), but i guess i'm screwed, right?

GhaleonEB

drizzle said:
Damn you arrows of immolation...

I got 10 of them on the 10 player arena daedric quest, from the archer.
Anywhere else in the damn game where i can get them? Thinking i was gonna be able to enchant arrows later, i didn't care for them

Now i want some (because they're so cool), but i guess i'm screwed, right?
I've found a few of them here and there. I'm not in the Arcane University yet, though. I like the arrows of Stormcall (something like that) as well. BOOM

I really like your avatar.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GhaleonEB said:
I've found a few of them here and there. I'm not in the Arcane University yet, though. I like the arrows of Stormcall (something like that) as well. BOOM

I really like your avatar.

I meant like an specific location.. i've only seen them on that quest.. :(

I'd guess not, since they prolly level up as you do.. oh well..

I found a couple of stormcall arrows on top of some fort near imperial city yesterday - i still rather have the fire ones... I'm really close to the arcade university anyway (only one or two mages guild quests), so i guess i'll have to enchant one of my 5 daedric bows i'm reserving for enchanting purposes with immolation-like stats...

Yeah, i have to resize my avatar to proper NeoGAF avatar sizes, so it doesn't get resized all out of proprortion, with thin N and fat E and stuff like that (i guess it wont come out much better than that tho..), but yeah, i like it too.. :p
Took me a while to find a proper image for it also - you'd think old kickass sega ad's would be easy to come by...

Nerevar

GhaleonEB said:
How do you get this Finger in the Mountain spell?
There's a mage's guild recommendation quest called "fingers of the mountain". Use your imagination from there ....

It's the Chorrol recommendation quest, and there's actually two parts to it. The guildmaster wants you to figure out why a rogue sorceror is in town, and it turns out she wants a book "fingers of the mountain". If you don't give her the book (the normal mages guild action) and give it to the guildmaster, you don't get the spell. If you DO give her the book, she tells you how to get the spell. However, if you give the book the mages guild, you can talk to her again to open up the second part of the questline and steal the book from the mage's guild to get the spell anyway.

Seth C

Vark and/or Steve: I really enjoyed reading the pirate captain's story, so if you would, thank whoever it was that wrote it.

GhaleonEB

BigJonsson said:
What are the most powerful blades in the game?

Umbra?
I thought her blade absolutely SUCKED.

I'm sure it depends on your level. The best I've seen is
a 30pt claymore with +20pts fire damage.
I'm almost ready to join the Arcane University, so I hope to make a custom blade soon.

GhaleonEB

BigJonsson said:
I have 22 or 23 damage claymores

I'm level 18

How does enchanting work anyway?
Have you closed an Oblivion gate yet?
Use the stones you take at the end to enchant weapons or other gear. Just select it from the inventory menu.

GhaleonEB

BigJonsson said:
I closed an Obilvion gate when I was level 1 lol

I know how to use those stones, its the mage guild enchanting that confuses me
I'm not in the guild, sorry. Anyone else?

(BTW - I had three of those stones before someone in here told me how to use them. I was level 18 or so. :lol )

raYne

BigJonsson said:
How does enchanting work anyway?
As in making your own enchantments?

-need an item either weapon or clothing that you want to enchant.
-need a soul gem. The higher the soul level the stronger the enchantment
-find an enchantment alter at the Arcane University (or Wizard's Tower if you dl'd it).

Once you activate the alter it'll tell you what enchantments you can pick. This includes the elemental such as fire, frost, shock, soul traps etc and stats like stealth, chameleon, strength... and everything inbetween. You can even combine effects if you like.

The higher the damage/radius/# of effects, the more it'll cost to enchant.

You're also limited to what spells you can do at the moment. For example, if you don't have a frost spell at all, you won't be able to do a frost enchantment.

firex

BigJonsson said:
What are the most powerful blades in the game?

Umbra?
Chillrend (max leveled version, because it hits them with weakness to frost and then also with frost damage)
Goldbrand
Anything Daedric with an enchant from a Grand quality soul.

GhaleonEB

I love the variety of the dungeon design. A few standouts among the dozens and dozens I've done:

*A cave with the entrance on the side of a hill, and the exit in the middle of a lake. (At the bottom.)
*A cave with rats and crabs in the first floor. No problem! Then four Dread Zombies, a bunch of Wights, Ghosts and skeleton summoners on the second floor. And you had to fight pretty much all of them at once. Talk about lulling me off my guard.
*A cave with NO ENEMIES at all. Spooky.
*A ruin with a nasty boss battle at the end - the King of something or other. Wicked battle.

Oblivion gates are springing up faster than I can close them. I've done five, and I see about a dozen more to go. And I'm just starting my rounds to get help for
Bruma, on the second city now,
so I expect lots and lots more. And they are all HUGE inside. Damn.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
GhaleonEB said:
*A cave with NO ENEMIES at all. Spooky.
I hope it wasnt that cave, think the name was Swampy Cave(?) that later involves a Fighters Guild quest (which populates the cave) that now ends up bugged due to you visiting the cave before the quest was active.

Top Bottom