• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

raYne

Vark said:
Hmm.. never had any of the other issues, 'cept for the Siren's quest which has been stuck for me for a while now. Since like hour 5.. and I'm currently in hour 173. :lol! I feel sad for that lady everytime I see her in Anvil and she asks how things are progressing. "..." :(

They attacked me in the Floated Bloat(?) so I killed them and couldn't progress any farther since neither had the house key. Bah!

BTW Vark, do you have your notifications turned off on your 360? Some of us were playing COD2 on Fri and we sent you a few invites but got no response. *sobs*

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
siamesedreamer said:
Ah, I see. I meant that the NPCs were mentioning the theives guild a lot.

Anyway, I guess I'll find the guy tonight and go from there. Thanks.

There's no need to start the main quest any time soon, you can wander around the Imperial City and do a hell of a lot in that city alone before you leave to start the main quest, to get the hang of the game. Or you can just ignore the main quest entirely until you get bored some 80 hours later. There's no problem with doing it early, but there's no rush either.

StRaNgE

Banned
Nerevar said:
Hate to tell you, but the enemies will only get stronger as you level up, and they'll actually get harder to beat. The best thing to do is to reduce the difficulty slider in the menu under "gameplay" until you feel more confident in the combat mechanics.

so i'll never be able to walk into a room and stomp everyones ass with one swing of a sword?

what's the best way to find better more powerfull magic?

is it possible i jumped ahead to an area where enemies are already way over my head. cuz before now it was closer in battle but now my swords and magic have no effect on these enemies it seems.

siamesedreamer said:
So I finally started playing this last week and I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm in the main city and I know I have to find some dude. But, other than that, I'm not sure what to do because there's just too much to do. I know alot of people I have talked to mention stuff about the theives guild. But, I kinda wanted to do other guilds first. Am I sorta forced to do the thieves guild first?

The first thing I'd recommend is that you get a handle on the navigation system. It helps you to keep track of where you need to go, and finding your way in the world. Learn how to fast travel, learn how to follow the arrows on the compass, and use the map to locate the places you need to go. Once you have that down, and start using it in conjunction with your quest log, things get much easier to manage, and you don't feel as overwhelmed.

As for the Thieves Guild quests, you can do them at any time, and I wouldn't worry about starting them just yet. Get a feel for your surroundings and the game mechanics. Build some levels up, get your skills in order, then start thinking about the quest lines. I'd recommend just finding a cave or dungeon to explore for awhile, and then once you have a grip on how things work, choose some basic quests, or go after the major questlines.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
StRaNgE said:
so i'll never be able to walk into a room and stomp everyones ass with one swing of a sword?

is it possible i jumped ahead to an area where enemies are already way over my head. cuz before now it was closer in battle but now my swords and magic have no effect on these enemies it seems.

If you want to be stronger against the enemies in combat, level up your combat skills more. If you have major skills that aren't combat related (some spellcasting schools, armorer, mercantile, speechcraft, etc) and level them up, you will level up and cause all of your enemies to become stronger.

The enemies shouldn't be noticably stronger than you in one area over another, they will always be within a range based on your level. If they are significantly stronger than you are, it is possible that you chose attributes or skills that don't help you in combat when leveling.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
StRaNgE said:

well, undead (ghosts, zombies, skeletons) are immune to ice magic and weapons that aren't silver or magic, so that could be a part of your problem.

But in general, enemies scale up in difficulty roughly equal to your level. So as you get better stats, enemies get better weapons / armor / magic or become more difficult creatures.

Magic is bought from members of the mages guild or chapel priests. If you want better magic, you have to buy it. But remember, the amount of magic it takes to cast a spell decreases as your skill level in that school of magic increases. So if you can't cast a spell right now, try practicing a weaker version of the spell until your skill rises to the point where you can cast it.

StRaNgE said:

The game automatically levels things up around you to continually give you a challenge as you progress, but that said, you will eventually out pace your enemies, and become stronger and more powerful then them. Complaints against the auto-leveling system are mostly unfounded imho. It does force you to learn new tactics, and continually improve as a player if you want to make progress however. But, it is unlikely that you'll ever be able to clear a room with a single sword strike, although the lower level characters are pretty weak and you can do some major damage to them, especially with sneak attacks. Rag doll physics look great with those power attacks! :D

Best way to get more powerful magic is to buy new spells at the Mage's Guilds, or in the specialty shops. If you want better equipment, you'll have to find it in the dungeons. The merchants don't tend to have great stuff to sell you. Eventually, you'll find lots and lots of great equipment though. Of course, if you join the Mage's Guild, you'll get access to the alters of enchanment and spellmaking, allowing you to create your own spells and items.

And no, you didn't jump ahead to an area that you should be. That's not possible in this game. Everything scales to you. If you are getting owned by the creatures, you need to figure out some better battle plans, tactics that work for you, and improve your equipment.

StRaNgE

Banned
Nerevar said:
well, undead (ghosts, zombies, skeletons) are immune to ice magic and weapons that aren't silver or magic, so that could be a part of your problem.

But in general, enemies scale up in difficulty roughly equal to your level. So as you get better stats, enemies get better weapons / armor / magic or become more difficult creatures.

Magic is bought from members of the mages guild or chapel priests. If you want better magic, you have to buy it. But remember, the amount of magic it takes to cast a spell decreases as your skill level in that school of magic increases. So if you can't cast a spell right now, try practicing a weaker version of the spell until your skill rises to the point where you can cast it.

"well, undead (ghosts, zombies, skeletons) are immune to ice magic and weapons that aren't silver or magic, so that could be a part of your problem."

yep that is the issue i think.

where oh where can i find the correct weapons/magic to deal with those pesky ghost.

StRaNgE said:
where oh where can i find the correct weapons/magic to deal with those pesky ghost.

I'd recommend picking up a simple destruction spell, one that does fire damage. Destruction levels up very quickly, and makes short order out of those pesky undead at the beginning of the game. Besure to continue to get more powerful destruction spells as you level up though.

Waku

StRaNgE said:
yep that is the issue i think.

Well what i did was i just took a weapon and enchanted it with Offensive Fire or Ice Spells or whatever, but i'm a mostly a Meele Player so i allways was to lazy to look after the Charges for the Enchanted Weapon so after an Hour fighting with it, the weapon was depleted.

But.

Even tought your Sword or whatever you have dosn't do the Magic Damage anymore you still can hurt Ghost with it. I don't know if it does full Meele Damage but to me it seems so. The enchanted Weapon hurts Ghost's even if it's charges are fully depleted.

Waku said:
Well what i did was i just took a weapon and enchanted it with Offensive Fire or Ice Spells or whatever, but i'm a mostly a Meele Player so i allways was to lazy to look after the Charges for the Enchanted Weapon so after an Hour fighting with it, the weapon was depleted.

But.

Even tought your Sword or whatever you have dosn't do the Magic Damage anymore you still can hurt Ghost with it. I don't know if it does full Meele Damage but to me it seems so. The enchanted Weapon hurts Ghost's even if it's charges are fully depleted.

You do know that you can recharge your weapons right? Soul Gems will recharge them, as will a mage in any of the Mage guild's.

Vark

raYne said:
BTW Vark, do you have your notifications turned off on your 360? Some of us were playing COD2 on Fri and we sent you a few invites but got no response. *sobs*

I don't have COD2 unfortunately so I usually decline those. I was also downloading stuff from the marketplace and since the active download stuff isn't up i'll just switch the inputs on my tv without marking myself as away so that may have been it too. Sorry.

raYne

Vark said:
I don't have COD2 unfortunately so I usually decline those. I was also downloading stuff from the marketplace and since the active download stuff isn't up i'll just switch the inputs on my tv without marking myself as away so that may have been it too. Sorry.
Swore we saw it when we went through your profile.. I guess that means you're one of those... :p

Alright cool. :/

ps. You weren't at the marketplace when the invites were sent. :p

Waku said:
As i said.

:lol

Ok. I just figured that no one would want to give up on their uber-power item just because the batteries went dead! Charge that sucker up and you're good to go. I carry 25+ soul gems around with me at all times, and usually have at least one varya stone as well, which charges up ALL MAGIC ITEMS in your inventory.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Ok. I just figured that no one would want to give up on their uber-power item just because the batteries went dead! Charge that sucker up and you're good to go. I carry 25+ soul gems around with me at all times, and usually have at least one varya stone as well, which charges up ALL MAGIC ITEMS in your inventory.
Fun fact: The first 60 or so hours I spent on the game I found a ton of those stones. But I didn't realize what they were for, so I sold them ALL. We're talking over a dozen.

Now I'm checking back with every merchant in the game trying to find who I sold them to so I can buy them back.

:(

GhaleonEB said:
Fun fact: The first 60 or so hours I spent on the game I found a ton of those stones. But I didn't realize what they were for, so I sold them ALL. We're talking over a dozen.

Now I'm checking back with every merchant in the game trying to find who I sold them to so I can buy them back.

I've got 25+ of them sitting in a chest back in my home, which is why I always have one on me at all times. You can find them in Aleyid ruins, so if you haven't cleaned them all out yet, just go Tomb Raiding! I've also got well over 100 of the Welkyand stones as well. I tend to keep five of those on me at all times too. :)

raYne

GhaleonEB said:

Most (all save for maybe fences) merchants don't keep the things you've sold to them for long. I guess the explanation would be that they're purchased by the npc's.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Most (all save for maybe fences) merchants don't keep the things you've sold to them for long. I guess the explanation would be that they're purchased by the npc's.
I can imagine their reactions. "What idiot sold those!!?!?"

*raises hand*

I've just started the Collector quest (dropped off statue #2, got hints on the next round), so hopefully I pick some up along the way.

Vark

raYne said:
Swore we saw it when we went through your profile.. I guess that means you're one of those... :p

Alright cool. :/

ps. You weren't at the marketplace when the invites were sent. :p

Oh ha yea, I have played other peoples copies, but I don't own it.

StRaNgE

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

oh crap, i sold 20+ of those things, damn that sucks. i had no clue what they did.

so, how can i get enough cash to buy a home wuick like.

i suck at this rpg stuff.

GhaleonEB said:
I can imagine their reactions. "What idiot sold those!!?!?"

*raises hand*

I've just started the Collector quest (dropped off statue #2, got hints on the next round), so hopefully I pick some up along the way.

Collector's Quest is a good one. Nice and long, plenty to do, good pay off in the end. I enjoyed that one very much.

Speaking of which:
What did you guys do on the mission where you had to get the helmet from the woman who was also a collector? She gives you the location of another helmet, but tells you that her's is not for sale. In my case, I stole hers from her house, and then went to the dungeon and retreived the one there. So I have both of them! :D

Waku

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yeah, i know i tried. :D But in the end by the Time i realized i should do smoething about it i was like Fuck that shit, thats enough damage for me. I just need my Umbra and that's all i need to wreak havoc.

StRaNgE said:
oh crap, i sold 20+ of those things, damn that sucks. i had no clue what they did.

Just keep selling off the equipment you find and don't need. Eventually you'll have plenty of cash. I own the house in Skingrad, cost 25,000 gold, and it's fully upgraded, and I still have 260,000 gold at the moment. I'm swimming in cash and don't have enough things to spend i tall on.

Oh, and if your Mercantile skill is high enough, invest in a merchant to get more cash back out of them later.

Waku said:
Yeah, i know i tried. :D But in the end by the Time i realized i should do smoething about it i was like Fuck that shit, thats enough damage for me. I just need my Umbra and that's all i need to wreak havoc.

The funny thing is that Umbra's special ability is
Soul Trap
but since you don't worry about Soul Gems, you don't take advantage of that ability! :lol

Waku

Kung Fu Jedi said:

The funny thing is that Umbra's special ability is
Soul Trap
but since you don't worry about Soul Gems, you don't take advantage of that ability! :lol

I also only drive my Ferrari in First Gear up a Hill.

raYne

StRaNgE said:

You have three legit choices:

-Get into alchemy and sell all the potions you make to merchants.
-Become a thief and break into homes/businesses and sell off everything. In the case of a business, you can even sell it back to the people you just stole it from.
-Explore every fort/cave/dungeon you find and kill everyone (+take the plunder!).

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
raYne said:
You have three legit choices:

-Get into alchemy and sell all the potions you make to merchants.
-Become a thief and break into homes/businesses and sell off everything. In the case of a business, you can even sell it back to the people you just stole it from.
-Explore every fort/cave/dungeon you find and kill everyone (+take the plunder!).

best option:

4) don't worry about it and just play normally. By the time you hit the high levels, you'll be rolling in cash due to the better loot you get from dungeon raids. I own 5 fully decked-out houses (Anvil, Imperial City, Bruma, Skingrad, Cheydinhal) and still have ~90,000 gold on hand. After a certain point you really stop worrying about gold in this game.

raYne

StRaNgE said:
Actually, you should also know that you don't have to have a "lot" of money to buy a house. Jedi mentioned the one in Skingrad for 25,000 (plus a crapload of money for upgrades) but there are houses around which are much cheaper.

The
Haunted Mansion
in Anvil will only cost you 5000. But remember that you'll have to do the included quest before it's really yours.

Nerevar said:
best option:

4) don't worry about it and just play normally. By the time you hit the high levels, you'll be rolling in cash due to the better loot you get from dungeon raids. I own 5 fully decked-out houses (Anvil, Imperial City, Bruma, Skingrad, Cheydinhal) and still have ~90,000 gold on hand. After a certain point you really stop worrying about gold in this game.
Well he asked for the quickest. ;)

An even better option would be to glitch your way to money. 400 gold a second baby!

LakeEarth

raYne said:
The
haunted
Mansion in Anvil will only cost you 5000. But remember that you'll have to do the included quest before it's really yours.
And don't store anything in the cabinents in that house before you complete the quest. I lost some stuff after the house
de-hauntified.

Cheapest house I know of is along the Water Front in the Imperial City. It's the Oblivion equivalent of the slums, but the house is only 2k gold. Pretty cheap.

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
And don't store anything in the cabinents in that house before you complete the quest. I lost some stuff after the house
de-hauntified.
Spoiler tag that, yo! I didn't know
it was haunted when I bought it. Took a nap and had a nasty suprise waiting for me.
That could ruin it for others.

hellfire

Kung Fu Jedi said:
And no, you didn't jump ahead to an area that you should be. That's not possible in this game. Everything scales to you. If you are getting owned by the creatures, you need to figure out some better battle plans, tactics that work for you, and improve your equipment.

it kind of is possible. if you are level 1 and you fight a monster that levels 15 over you all the time, you're screwed (15x the level differential). fight the same guy at level 15, and it's very doable (2x level differential).

also your weapons aren't good enough at the early levels either. the good stuff only starts showing up later, and even then, if you haven't made enough money to enchant them well, they won't be as useful.

e.g. the wraiths are nigh impossible to kill at early levels since your best weapon is probably just silver.

LakeEarth

GhaleonEB said:
Spoiler tag that, yo! I didn't know
it was haunted when I bought it. Took a nap and had a nasty suprise waiting for me.
That could ruin it for others.
Ok, but raYne JUST called it "The
haunted
Mansion in Anvil"

hellfire said:
it kind of is possible. if you are level 1 and you fight a monster that levels 15 over you all the time, you're screwed (15x the level differential). fight the same guy at level 15, and it's very doable (2x level differential).

also your weapons aren't good enough at the early levels either. the good stuff only starts showing up later, and even then, if you haven't made enough money to enchant them well, they won't be as useful.

e.g. the wraiths are nigh impossible to kill at early levels since your best weapon is probably just silver.

True. I do suppose there are plenty of places early on that you shouldn't wander into at an early stage. But the game does allow you to go anywhere at anytime, for the most part, so I suppose you have to learn which creatures are too tough for you in the early going. I still remember my first encounter with Umbra! :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
True. I do suppose there are plenty of places early on that you shouldn't wander into at an early stage. But the game does allow you to go anywhere at anytime, for the most part, so I suppose you have to learn which creatures are too tough for you in the early going. I still remember my first encounter with Umbra! :lol
Yeah, that didn't go too well for me either. :(

I ran into a cave in the east mountains early in the game and encountered ogres when I was level 2. I spent the entire time backpedaling. It was also my first discovery that enemies will follow you right out of dungeons. I remember fleeing them, thinking was safe, and wondering why the battle music was still playing. :lol

One more game cliche crushed by Oblivion. No "running into the next area" to be safe.

Figures that befor I finish my mod the thread gets unstickied. :(

Anyway, it's done! Download below and tell me what you think. It adds two quests, a bunch of locations, dungeons, etc... and even an easter egg just for GAF! The bosses should be pretty tough, not for low-level characters.

Download bitches! Once the file is uploaded to TESSource and PlanetES I'll put up the links.

http://www.tessource.net/files/download.php?id=4649

OldCrow01.jpg

OldCrow04.jpg

OldCrow07.jpg

OldCrow09.jpg

OldCrow11.jpg

LakeEarth

raYne said:
Damn spoiler nazis...

Happy?!

:p
I didn't care really, just explaining why I didn't hide my spoilers. Really, the second you walk into that house, how would you NOT know whats about to happen? :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, it's a good thing it got unstickied. I mean, there's only been like 50 new posts today! :lol

Yeah this is a totally dead thread but I wanted to say that I just finished the main quest over the weekend so that wraps it up for me since I now have all of the achievements. Steve, Vark and the rest of the team at Bethesda did a fantastic job on this title and I'd recommend it whole-hearted to anyone looking for a beefy gaming experience.

I never really had any issues with the game scaling and even though the monsters got progresively tougher I never felt overwhelmed. The only real issues I had were with quest breaking bugs and with escort NPC missions seeing how those NPCs would rush headlong in to battle with little to no regard for their own safety or mine heh. Regardless I was a level 46 god by the time it was all said and done. Had maxed almost every stat and never had to result to using any dupes, or bugs to progress *strokes e-peen*. Nice work guys!

The Dark One

StRaNgE

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Just keep selling off the equipment you find and don't need. Eventually you'll have plenty of cash. I own the house in Skingrad, cost 25,000 gold, and it's fully upgraded, and I still have 260,000 gold at the moment. I'm swimming in cash and don't have enough things to spend i tall on.

Oh, and if your Mercantile skill is high enough, invest in a merchant to get more cash back out of them later.

my guy is over encombered (SP?) but i have mostly fruits and berrys and crap.
should i drop everything and go to light armour over heavy?

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
I didn't care really, just explaining why I didn't hide my spoilers. Really, the second you walk into that house, how would you NOT know whats about to happen? :lol
*hangs head in shame*

I find it hilarious that this thread gets more posts unstickied than stickied. I for one plan to keep using, if for nothing but a bit of a journal of the cool stuff I keep finding.

I love this game dearly - I keep thinking I've seen everything it has to offer, then *pow* something new comes up. For example, I just went into this guy's dreamworld and boy was he doing some fine drugs. Or maybe that was the designer. :)

On my to-do list:

1) Collectors quest (just started)
2) Join Arcane University (two recomendations to go!)
3) Kill some dudes (Dark Brotherhood)
4) Finish helping that paranoid dude
5) Enchant a blunt weapon and level that stat (I'm 100 on Blade)
6) Get to level 75 Destruction (currently 71)
7) Find all those guys for training people keep recomending
8) Round up
aid
for Bruma, did two towns, got the rest do go now
9) Advance that pesky "main plot" a bit. Somethinga bout a
Great Gate
coming up.

110 hours in. 63 quests completed. So...much...to....do....

StRaNgE said:
I bought a house and dumped all my ingredients and alchemy equipment there. Now I just head there to mix poisons when I have a good supply of stuff. It dropped over 75lbs off my back. :D

Gigglepoo

StRaNgE said:

You should first make as many potions as you can out of the random fruits and grains you're carrying. Alchemy lightens your load considerably and is very useful.

StRaNgE said:

All those fruits and berrys and crap add up, but it may not be the only source of your encumberance. If you are carrying a lot of potions, which is easy to do, they add to a lot of weight as well. Same with arrows if you're carrying hundreds of arrows of varying types, they can add up as well. I tend to carry only one type (Glass) and maybe a few special magical ones. You'd be surprised how much stuff adds up.

Ad for which armor, it really doesn't matter too much once your skill starts to increase. In light armor, it won't encumber you at all after you reach a certain level, so it won't effect how much you can carry. I think heavy armor will go down to 50% as you increase your skill.

Also, by raising your strength when you level up, you'll be able to carry more things naturally as well. And, as others have stated, feather spells can be your friend! :)

Top Bottom