• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

ShutEye

Well, I finally got Oblivion from Play-Asia. Still cheaper than N.A. retail and I got dinged by customs for sales tax.

This thread is daunting.

I've played the game maybe five hours and I have three questions:

How do you cure diseases/ailments/etc... ? Are there spells I can learn? Potions to make? What do I do?

How, who, or where do I learn about Alchemy ... I must have 100 ingredients, where do I get guidance to make interesting and usefull potions? In game or do I have to use gamefaqs?

How badly can I break this game. I have no intentions of doing anything remotely related to the main quest anytime soon (if ever); its quite fun to just explore. But the game is clearly a little buggy, which has me worried. If I just clear dungeons and areas on my own will I break the game? the objective system? my 360? (joke)

Thanks.

GhaleonEB

ShutEye said:
Well, I finally got Oblivion from Play-Asia. Still cheaper than N.A. retail and I got dinged by customs for sales tax.

This thread is daunting.

How do you cure diseases/ailments/etc... ? Are there spells I can learn? Potions to make? What do I do?
Head to the churches/temples/whatever they are called in cities and pray at the altar to have your diseases cured. There are also "Cure Disease" potions and spells.

How, who, or where do I learn about Alchemy ... I must have 100 ingredients, where do I get guidance to make interesting and usefull potions? In game or do I have to use gamefaqs?
All you need to start is a Mortar and Pestle in your inventory. Select it, and begin combining ingredients. You just need to combine two or more ingredients with the same trait for a successful poison/potion. You may already have one; if not they are easy to find in dungeons and shops. There are other Alchemy items, check the manual for how they help you.

How badly can I break this game. I have no intentions of doing anything remotely related to the main quest anytime soon (if ever); its quite fun to just explore. But the game is clearly a little buggy, which has me worried. If I just clear dungeons and areas on my own will I break the game? the objective system? my 360? (joke)

Thanks.
This is exactly how I play the game. I was over 50 hours into the game before I did anything with the main quest (I didn't even visit the capital city until over 30 hours in). I just set out into the wilderness and explored. There are literally one or maybe two quests that can get mucked up this way, out of hundreds. Explore away. I find the game very, very enjoyable just hopping from place to place, always having a ton of open quests to choose from. I've done dozens and dozens of random dungeons, that's half my 110 hours of playtime right there. Have at it. :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ShutEye said:

This thread is daunting.

Thanks.

1. Most directly there are potions to make or buy - you should be able to find appropriate potions pre-made in the alchemy shops in a city. Leading us to...

2. To get started you just need a mortar and pestle. If you missed picking up the set in the starter dungeon, you can buy one at shops or go join the Mage's Guild by talking to any guild hall in any town. Then you can just take a piece of alchemy equipment from their supplies. After that, you go into your journal inventory and select the mortar and pestle (or other gear) which will trigger the alchemy tutorial window.

3. While there are a handful of truly bugged quests, the game appears pretty safe from breakage. I don't have a laundry list of mistakes to avoid causing a problematic quest to flip out, but I believe one notable one involves the thief guild. You are supposed to wait 24 hours before talking to a certain NPC and if you try to speed time up with the wait option or talk to the NPC before the time passes, it may bug out on you. (Do I have the right questline guys?)

Unfortunately when you experiment with mixing a potion, there's no list saved of what ingredients make it - you have to remember or write it down yourself. (Unless I missed something in the game.)

GhaleonEB

Kaijima said:
Unfortunately when you experiment with mixing a potion, there's no list saved of what it does - you have to remember or write it down yourself. (Unless I missed something in the game.)
I really wish there were, too. I have found a couple of uber-combinations that I really wish I wrote down. I remember combining two ingredients and ending up with some insane potion with a six or seven minute duration. 0_o I have NO idea what it was, though. So long ago.

Juice

Uh oh....

I noticed that my willpower and strength have been drained for the last ten or so gameplay hours.

Turns out I have "Disease: Red Rage"

Google did nothing for me. What can I do?

GhaleonEB

Juice said:
Uh oh....

I noticed that my willpower and strength have been drained for the last ten or so gameplay hours.

Turns out I have "Disease: Red Rage"

Google did nothing for me. What can I do?
A visit to a church (what are the called in this game? :lol ) should take care of it. Pray at the altar at any town.

Ratcage said:
Speaking of praying at temples, how the hell do i repent my sins? They all tell me something along those lines, but i can't figure out how to do it.

Your infamy is higher than your fame. You need to do some good things in some quests to get more fame so you can use churches again.

The Dark One

JCBossman

Banned
LOVE this game, this is Everything Morrowind started...Anywho, seems same and NEW at the same time, here is my problems, did they do away with the weight system? , I got a GLASS clamore weighing 50lbs?, and what about the bucks it's only worth like a couple of grand? Also is it just me I was grinding for awhile and built my High Elf to 20th level and have a hard time fighting creatures by myself(MY high level Conjoured Dradoth, does alot of work for me,although if I fight him directly I am dead, is this normal? I killed this Minatour by running around a rock in 3rd person and casting a ton of summon Scamp spells(best I had at the time) I went to that bad town that had thoses "Caverns" underneath, and I Killed that chick that ran the store as she tried to flee(She was part of it, so she died) and I go back to town (Chorrol) and they arrest me...what's up with that? Also, I am Know doing this mission for this BITCH(O.K. she's nice to me and calles me investigator) Queen and I find this painting in the west tower, it gives me an option to "activate" it but nothing happens, No big clues but just an idea would be helpful, got that whench to admit she was looking at the stars, and the drunk and the orc won't talk to me EVEN after maxing thier disposition, also where is that flaming Court Mage?

DarkMage619 said:
Your infamy is higher than your fame. You need to do some good things in some quests to get more fame so you can use churches again.

The Dark One

Well, I've got a lot of work to do then. My infamy is like 67 and my fame is only 3. :lol

BTW, I'm loving this game so far. So much to do and find. Sometimes there is almost too much to do.

JCBossman

Banned
Sorry for the double post, but i wan't to get everything I am curious about out of the way, Because I killed that chick(the bad one) the dark brotherhood dude came to me in my sleep, before he could run away I killed him,(both me and my bro's in the mages guild(along with my summoned Dardroth), and I got a nice Robe and hood, but while I have good Conjouring stuff, my distruction is weak and I need 2 things a powerful, ranged distructive spell and a super powerful touch one, where is the closest place i can find those to Chorrol? I do wan't to join the Thives guild because I am a cumpulsive clepto, but they tell me to meet at this garden at midnight(In Chorrol?) Where is this stupid garden, and why aren't FILLED soul gems worth a mint?

P.S. I need a High level Lock open and Levitate spell, too...

GhaleonEB

JCBossman said:
LOVE this game, this is Everything Morrowind started...Anywho, seems same and NEW at the same time, here is my problems, did they do away with the weight system? , I got a GLASS clamore weighing 50lbs?,

:lol Well, I've found daedric claymores around 60-70 lbs, so it's an improvement.

and what about the bucks it's only worth like a couple of grand?
Enchanted items are worth way, way more. But since there's the cap on how much a merchant will pay, it doesn't really matter beyond a certian point.

Also is it just me I was grinding for awhile and built my High Elf to 20th level and have a hard time fighting creatures by myself(MY high level Conjoured Dradoth, does alot of work for me,although if I fight him directly I am dead, is this normal?
Yup, it's normal. The whole idea is that you have to start using other tactics to be successful sometimes.

I killed this Minatour by running around a rock in 3rd person and casting a ton of summon Scamp spells(best I had at the time)

Such as that one. :lol

I went to that bad town that had thoses "Caverns" underneath, and I Killed that chick that ran the store as she tried to flee(She was part of it, so she died) and I go back to town (Chorrol) and they arrest me...what's up with that?
I've been arrested at random. I'll get back and get arrested, and have some puny bounty on me (once it was 1 gold) and I'm like WFT? I was killing goblins in a CAVE?!?!?

Also, I am Know doing this mission for this BITCH(O.K. she's nice to me and calles me investigator) Queen and I find this painting in the west tower, it gives me an option to "activate" it but nothing happens, No big clues but just an idea would be helpful, got that whench to admit she was looking at the stars, and the drunk and the orc won't talk to me EVEN after maxing thier disposition, also where is that flaming Court Mage?
I JUST got done with that quest. The way it's structured, you have to talk to all of the people the queen/bitch mentions (it's in the journal entry) FIRST, then find clues. You can see the clues, but you won't get the journal entry or trigger anything. Once you talk to all five people, you get a journal entry saying you need to gather clues. There are
three of them - the painting, foot prints in the dining room, and a paint set in that girl's room in a small container.
Once you have talked to everone and found those,
she'll confess.

JCBossman said:
Sorry for the double post, but i wan't to get everything I am curious about out of the way, Because I killed that chick(the bad one) the dark brotherhood dude came to me in my sleep, before he could run away I killed him,(both me and my bro's in the mages guild(along with my summoned Dardroth), and I got a nice Robe and hood,
Realize now that you can't join the Dark Brotherhood? (I think) The DB is AWESOME.

Jonnyram

I had a pretty long session last night and finally reached level 2 :)
I'm just working through the Mage Quest to get recommendations for the Arcane University. I think I've done about 4 towns so far. The most annoying one by far was when I found the
invisible guy
but I hadn't persuaded the other NPC first, so I couldn't progress even though I knew what was going on. I take it there's a lot of similarly annoying quests? :)

I stumbled upon a random dungeon full of necromancers too - that was fun! I get pretty scared walking around dungeons now, even though I can defend myself pretty well. It's just an eerie setting, especially when you have to carry torches around to see anything.

I'm slowly learning the best points to save at, after having been arrested for stealing by accident a couple of times. One time I got arrested for just picking a lock... WTF.

GhaleonEB

Jonnyram said:
I stumbled upon a random dungeon full of necromancers too - that was fun! I get pretty scared walking around dungeons now, even though I can defend myself pretty well. It's just an eerie setting, especially when you have to carry torches around to see anything.

I'm slowly learning the best points to save at, after having been arrested for stealing by accident a couple of times. One time I got arrested for just picking a lock... WTF.
Doing dungeons never get old. There are some REALLY creepy ones. One in particular freaked me out big time, I ranted about it like a hundred pages or so ago. There are lots of twists out there (and traps...). Fun stuff. :)

If you are in town, always crouch and go into stealth mode (click left stick on 360 version) to pick a lock. If the circular icon is bright, someone is watching and you'll get busted. Only lockpick when no one is looking. (It took quite a few arrests before I figured that out. :lol )

JCBossman

Banned
Oh really Dark brotherhood missions are cool?, I usually play this game as a Clepto(Can't help myself) Saint or as a total AssHat Evil Man(Not combining them), so I am TRYING to be good, even though I killed that guard(didn't have enough cash to get out of jail so my UNDEAD buddies had a Word with him), but were in Chorrol do I hook up with the thieves guild, were is that stupid garden? Also I need Powerful spells to fight(Distrustion) where can i find those, the Menus in this game are totally shit, MUCH worse than Morrowind(Morrowind at least I could plot a course for a town and find it easily) their is TOO many maps and subs maps(and why are my saves out of order) 1,2,3,45. 27?and don't even get me going on the spell menus...UGH. I need powerful magic to Open all locks, where can I find that spell, thier are many dungeons I have visted, that i will have to go back again to open shit i couldn't open, or is thier a GREAT sourse of lockpicks(like 20 at a time) I use the auto attempt because the manual one is retarted(can't figure it out), also I am having fun building my block and hand to hand by duking it out with my summoned skeloton, can you fight with your FISTS as your main weapon? I also do it with my scamp andf higher and while I can kick his ASS Hand to hand I have a hard time with anything stronger, What is the easiest way to build by Enchant skill?

xabre

Banned
The thread has finally overtaken the WOW thread.

I'm getting back into the game too; got access to the arcane university now and trying to push ahead with the main quest. Wonder when we'll hear word of an expansion?

This game has dominated my life like few have ever done and will ever likely do. My accomplishments so far include...

1) Gray Fox of the Thieves Guild
2) Guild Master / Listener for the Dark Brotherhood.
3) Lvl 21 Assassin
4) Acquired all the Deadric Artifacts and it was a bitch.

Soo much more to do, I still have over half of allies for bruma to go in the main quest and countless misc ones to do.

JCBossman

Banned
Some things that piss me off, THE MENUS, they suck,expecially for spellcasting, all the spells are spread out all over the place, the location menus, too many and to hard to find where your going, Even worse is the save game menus, why does it say, Do you want to start off at your LAST save? And hook me with a two day old Save? I LOVE the PHYSICS in the new game and how you can use the NEW Dugeon traps(LIKE the Floors and spikes) against POWERFUL or overwelmeaning Monsters...

Aaron

Jonnyram said:
I had a pretty long session last night and finally reached level 2 :)
I'm just working through the Mage Quest to get recommendations for the Arcane University. I think I've done about 4 towns so far. The most annoying one by far was when I found the
invisible guy
but I hadn't persuaded the other NPC first, so I couldn't progress even though I knew what was going on. I take it there's a lot of similarly annoying quests? :)
Unfortunately, it seems that way. There was one quest where you were supposed to get a guy this amulet to prove you killed his traitrous partner. I stole it, and brought it to him instead (he's in jail so he won't know the difference), but he kept demanding to see it. I even put the damn thing on, but no go. Sometimes you have to play by the rules. Though this is counter balanced by some great quests like working for the rat lady.

I can beat that. I got arrested for knocking a bottle off a shelf. It was in a crowded inn when I was frustrated by a quest glitch, so I lashed out in anger, and freaked a half dozen people out in the process. Fine was only a single gold though, and the quest glitch fixed itself by letting a day pass, so can't complain.

If I had one major change to the game, I wish Oblivion had the old traveling methods of Morrowind instead of fast travel, and much more diverse setting (again like Morrowind). I can accept the enemy and loot leveling, but the sameness of the landscape and quick jumping all over the place really kills the desire to explore in me.

StRaNgE

Banned
is there ahouse anywhere for 1400 ?

where is the least expensive place i can unload my crap so it will be there later.
is there any other use for a house besides that?

raYne

StRaNgE said:
is there ahouse anywhere for 1400 ?

where is the least expensive place i can unload my crap so it will be there later.
is there any other use for a house besides that?
Last page.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Cheapest house I know of is along the Water Front in the Imperial City. It's the Oblivion equivalent of the slums, but the house is only 2k gold. Pretty cheap.

..and nope. Having a safe place to store your stuff (and you'll have a lot of it) is pretty much the only reason for one.

JCBossman

Banned
Don't even get me going on NPC stupidity, i thought I conquored that in HALO, I am this piss ass weak GENERAL, But I wan't to take the fight to them Masterchief, (instead of you,SUPER armored Cyborg) Jesus Christ (nailed to the cross) I had to stand in front of that asshole(being a MEAT shield, the whole time and protect his sorry ass, BUT the worst was with GTA:SA, RYDER was the WORST shot a human could be, I had to stop stacking crates and protect his stupid ass every secound, why couldn't Smoke been my partner? That cute Argonion chick(yeah, if I was drunk i'm 99% sure I would except a BJ, but the one percent is the thought of those teeth) why is she so bad with a horse, but somehow mangeged to find her way home?

ElyrionX

One thing I don't like about Oblivion is that the leveling system doesn't allow for easy roleplaying. In order to get good stats when leveling, a certain amount of grinding is necessary. This means that for my mage character to get a good amount of health when leveling, I have to actively level my armourer, heavy armour and block skills which isn't something I want to do. I guess, I just don't want to get shafted at higher levels so I'm forcing myself to grind the lower levels. I'm still enjoying the game but I wish the leveling mechanics worked differently.

It's also very misleading for any new players who don't realize that the way to become uberpowerful is to work on your minor skills and not your major skills. If a player were to level by focusing purely on his major skills, which is a natural thing to do, he would be so screwed in mid to late game when realizes that he was only adding like +1 or +2 to his stats when he could have been adding +5.

JCBossman said:
but were in Chorrol do I hook up with the thieves guild, were is that stupid garden?

Ok. Where to begin. First, the thieves guild is not in Chorrol. You have to go to a garden in the Water Front district of the Imperial City. Activate the quest in your quest log, and follow the arrow.

Also I need Powerful spells to fight(Distrustion) where can i find those

Any Mage Guild in any of the towns can sell you spells. Also, there is a shop in the Imperial City that sells spells as well. If you join the Mage Guild, you'll get a few spells given to you as you advance through the quest line as well.

the Menus in this game are totally shit, MUCH worse than Morrowind(Morrowind at least I could plot a course for a town and find it easily) their is TOO many maps and subs maps(and why are my saves out of order) 1,2,3,45. 27?and don't even get me going on the spell menus...UGH.

I have to disagree with you here. I feel like the menu/log system is a major improvement over Morrowind personally. There are only two map screens, so I'm not sure howt hat can be too many. One is a World Map and one is a close up of your area. Saves are listed in the order that they were last used. Most recent save is at the top. Auto Saves will throw off the order, but you should really only be keeping two or three saves and an autosave any way. If you have too many, the game can get very slow. As for the spell menu, I have no problems with it, but then I usually hot key the most useful spells, and use it to select between them. I currenty have a high level healing spell, conjuration spell, and destruction spell on my hotkeys, so I rarely use the spell menu unless I'm chaning those up, or need something specific.

I need powerful magic to Open all locks, where can I find that spell, thier are many dungeons I have visted, that i will have to go back again to open shit i couldn't open, or is thier a GREAT sourse of lockpicks(like 20 at a time) I use the auto attempt because the manual one is retarted(can't figure it out)

Basic open lock spells are again available in the Mage Guild and Spell shops. For the higher level locks, you'll need to create them yourself. On the other hand, you could level up your security skill which will allow you to pick the locks. You can buy more lockpicks from your fence once you join the Thieves Guild. They are 5 gp each, and I tended to buy them in lots of 100. As for the lock pick system, it's "retarted" because YOU couldn't figure it out? That's pretty silly logic really. You'll have a lot more success in the early going if you manually pick the locks and learn how it works. The manual will help you with this, but essentially what you need to do is to force the tumblers up, then click the button when they are at the highest point in the lock. The tumblers will move at varying speeds, so it's best to move them around a few times to get the feel of how they move, then when you find the slowest moving one, time the click so that it's at the top. Repeat for all the tumblers to open that lock.

also I am having fun building my block and hand to hand by duking it out with my summoned skeloton, can you fight with your FISTS as your main weapon? I also do it with my scamp andf higher and while I can kick his ASS Hand to hand I have a hard time with anything stronger, What is the easiest way to build by Enchant skill?

You can use hand to hand and make a martial arts/monk type character. You'll want to find some magical gloves/gauntlets early on though, otherwise you won't be able to hurt some of the enemies. Enchant skill? I don't think there is one. But if you want to enchant items or make spells, you need to join the Mage's Guild, where you'll get access to the Alter of Enchantment and Spell Making.

ElyrionX said:
One thing I don't like about Oblivion is that the leveling system doesn't allow for easy roleplaying. In order to get good stats when leveling, a certain amount of grinding is necessary. This means that for my mage character to get a good amount of health when leveling, I have to actively level my armourer, heavy armour and block skills which isn't something I want to do. I guess, I just don't want to get shafted at higher levels so I'm forcing myself to grind the lower levels. I'm still enjoying the game but I wish the leveling mechanics worked differently.

It's also very misleading for any new players who don't realize that the way to become uberpowerful is to work on your minor skills and not your major skills. If a player were to level by focusing purely on his major skills, which is a natural thing to do, he would be so screwed in mid to late game when realizes that he was only adding like +1 or +2 to his stats when he could have been adding +5.

I've been hearing a number of complaints about the leveling system since the game came out, but honestly, I'm 100+ hours into the game, have played with two characters, one of which is level 38, and I have no complaints at all about the leveling system. I can see where it might bother you if you're a Power Gamer who just wants to build some super-powerful character, but aside from that, it works well, it's logical, and it continues to offer challenges at all levels.

I've never once really cared about which bonuses I get for stats when leveling up. I just played the game, and let my skills level as they should, and then added points where I thought it would be most beneficial. I just played the way that I wanted to, and let things develop along a natural course, and I don't recall ever thinking "I need a +5 for my strength, so I better start leveling my Blade skill".

The game does force you to continue to improve the way you play, especially in combat, and learn new techniques to over come the stronger enemies you face along the way, but to me, that's a good thing. Just play the game to your own style and adapt your tactics as necessary, and everything will play out just fine. Worrying about the mechanics just takes away from the fun, at least imho.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
(stuff about leveling)

There's only so much "adapting your tactics" you can do when you first encounter a mountain lion or a grizzly bear on the road between cities. If you're a fighter you might be able to beat them off at first, but as a rogue-like character they will rape you. At the default difficulty, I couldn't dare challenge either of them until I made a conscious effort to max my conjuration (by casting "bound dagger" over and over again) so I could summon powerful creatures (clannfears and daedroths) to help me fight them off. In a lot of ways that sucks, because it breaks the essence of role-playing a thief-type character. I'm not saying I didn't like the system, but it definitely was a problem for me in the mid-teens. Now that I'm in the high 20s with loaded equipment and master conjuration it seems too easy, so I've upped the difficulty slider to keep the challenge up. Which is why I said that the system definitely needed tweaking, but overall it was a very good idea.

Nerevar said:
There's only so much "adapting your tactics" you can do when you first encounter a mountain lion or a grizzly bear on the road between cities. If you're a fighter you might be able to beat them off at first, but as a rogue-like character they will rape you. At the default difficulty, I couldn't dare challenge either of them until I made a conscious effort to max my conjuration (by casting "bound dagger" over and over again) so I could summon powerful creatures (clannfears and daedroths) to help me fight them off. In a lot of ways that sucks, because it breaks the essence of role-playing a thief-type character. I'm not saying I didn't like the system, but it definitely was a problem for me in the mid-teens. Now that I'm in the high 20s with loaded equipment and master conjuration it seems too easy, so I've upped the difficulty slider to keep the challenge up. Which is why I said that the system definitely needed tweaking, but overall it was a very good idea.

I do agree that some things need to be done to allow stealth characters to have a more leveled playing field, but I don't think they have to do with the leveling system itself. For instance, they should be able to stay hidden better while attacking with their bow, or they should have a "backstab" special attack in addition to the current stealth attack. Something different from what a Fighter-type character should have. It would also be nice if damage on arrows in particular, would be weighted for where they hit the enemy. Head shots cause more damage, etc.

Both of the characters I play are heavily stealth characters, and I still didn't have too many issues with the leveling. When I started to encounter stronger creatures, including mountain lions and bears, I switched up my tactics to include poisons, which help a lot for stealth characters. I also continually improved my equipment, getting better bows and arrows.

I agree the system is not perfect, but it's not as bad as some people would lead you to believe. Again, I think the stealth characters are the ones who need something tweaked for them more so than anyone else, and I still contend that you should just play the game the way you want, and not worry about the mechanics of leveling.

ShutEye

Thanks very much for the advice everyone.

Just a word of warning. If you are a lucky NTSC/J 360 owner and buy the asian versions of the games, the Oblivion manual sucks. It may not suck in Chinese, but I don't read chinese, so I can't confirm.

The English manual, while grammatically correct, is very light on information, has no index, is basically useless.

Thanks again.

ShutEye

I couldn't find anything on Alchemy or status changes or healing in the maual. The tutorials cover basic gameplay quite well, but not so much the more 'complicated' stuff. It doesn't even have a full legend of the symbols that the game uses.

And I still don't know how to reverse my luck penalty?

ckohler

I'm a Level 16 Mage and I'm dirt poor. What's the easiest way to make money without becoming a theif? Or do I not have a choice?

raYne

ckohler said:
Are you being serious? I've not dabbled in any alchemy at all. It's my one major skill I've not done anything with. ^^
Very. It's one of the easier skills to level up as well.

Nerevar

ShutEye said:
I couldn't find anything on Alchemy or status changes or healing in the maual. The tutorials cover basic gameplay quite well, but not so much the more 'complicated' stuff. It doesn't even have a full legend of the symbols that the game uses.

And I still don't know how to reverse my luck penalty?

walk up to an altar in any church (there is no church in the Imperial City, FYI) and activate it. You should be "cleansed", meaning all diseases / poisons / stat drains are removed. If it doesn't happen, that probably means you're an "evil" character. This is determined by looking at two values on the character information screen (the far right tab on the same menu where you see your character attributes) - if your "infamy" is higher than your "fame", you're evil and the Gods won't heal you. The only way to change this is to do more quests for "good" factions (mages guild, fighters guild) and to stop doing quests for "bad" factions (thieves guild, dark brotherhood).

If you can't get healing at a chapel, you're going to need to get a potion to cure you. Check the active effects screen (the far right tab on the magic menu) to see if you have a disease first. If you do, you need to drink a cure disease potion. If you don't, you need to drink a "potion of restore luck". You can find these from a vendor or make them yourself from plants.

ckohler said:
Do you mean using Alchemy to make gold or just selling potions?

Make potions and sell them off, while improving your Alchemy skill at the same time. You always have plenty of potions for yourself, plus you can sell off the ones you make for some gold. Repeat the process and you'll be in good shape.

Other options are to just keep going through the game, and you'll start to get lots of equipment that you can sell off for good cash as well. That's mainly what I did, and I have more gold than I know what to do with at this point.

Nerevar

Speaking of alchemy, does anyone know if there's a way to dictate or even determine what the weight of a finished potion is going to be? Probably my biggest pet peeve is when you raise your alchemy skill and get all excited because the strength of your potions goes up, but that restore health 5 pts for 15 secs only weighed 0.1 whereas the restore health 6 pts for 15 secs weighs 2. It makes the stronger potion worthless, as its just way too heavy to carry around more than 1. There should be a way to balance the weight against the effects or something.

raYne

Nerevar said:
Speaking of alchemy, does anyone know if there's a way to dictate or even determine what the weight of a finished potion is going to be?
It's the weight of the ingredients that determines the final weight of the potion.

Use lighter ingredients that have the same effect as their heavier counterparts.

Nerevar

raYne said:
It's the weight of the ingredients that determines the final weight of the potion.

Use lighter ingredients that have the same effect as their heavier counterparts.

that's definitely not necessarily true. As a master alchemist, I've made restore fatigue potions from every ingredient in my list that has "restore fatigue" as its main effect, which encompasses a lot of different ingredients with a lot of different weights (corn, bread, rice, pumpkins, watermelons, etc) and they all end up weighing the same (I know this because they all stack in my inventory), despite them coming from ingredients with wildly varying weights.

Top Bottom