• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Yeah, you'll lose Flame Astaroths altogether once your level is high enough (unless you personally use a summon spell of course). Frost Astaroths will still be around however.
I have not seen a Frost one in over a week - and I've done about a half-dozen Oblivion gates in that time. I'd like to have them back over those darn Storm ones.

And isn't Astaroth a character in Soul Calibur? Ah, video-game slips. :lol It's Atronach, I just googled it.

Maybe I should advance that main story a bit afterall.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
I have not seen a Frost one in over a week - and I've done about a half-dozen Oblivion gates in that time. I'd like to have them back over those darn Storm ones.
I'm not even talking about the Oblivion Plane. You'll see them in Cyrodil as well, even after closing all the gates.

And isn't Astaroth a character in Soul Calibur? Ah, video-game slips. :lol It's Atronach, I just googled it.
Whatever... :)lol!)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Other than THAT one! ;)
Pfft.. that's like saying that there aren't any
Unicorns
. :lol

GhaleonEB

Just checking - is the only unicorn the one
I killed for a shrine quest?
And is there really a giant mud crab out there? I'm getting that "yellow banshee" vibe from references to it.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Just checking - is the only unicorn the one
I killed for a shrine quest?
And is there really a giant mud crab out there? I'm getting that "yellow banshee" vibe from references to it.
Yep, that's the only Unicorn.

The Giant Mudcrab is true!.. I SEEN IT! *slams beer bottle on table* (hick)

..but seriously, the giant mudcrab thing is true, and there's more than one.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
raYne said:

Really... man, guess I got some exploring to do. Everytime I think I can walk away for a bit from this game, another add-on comes out or something like this pops up.

Level 43 and 130+ hours in and I still have new things to see... Oblivion > all.

raYne said:

Really? Where can one find said Giant Mud Crab? (aside from in Sony's E3 presentations that it!)

ShutEye

I just played the Painter's Quest. Awesome game. Just awesome. Best lunch break ever!

One question (sorry about all the questions). Let's say I hate carrying stuff during my wandering adventures; can I leave my items in a chest somewhere, save, turn off the 360 and have the items still be in said chest?

raYne

It's far too long ago to remember... Plus at the time I didn't think it was going to be that rare. All times I've found one it was always inside a cave though. Once in the Oblivion Plane (caverns under the tower) and twice in Cyrodil.

Unlike the Unicorn, they weren't even quest related.

ShutEye said:
One question (sorry about all the questions). Let's say I hate carrying stuff during my wandering adventures; can I leave my items in a chest somewhere, save, turn off the 360 and have the items still be in said chest?
Depends where the chest is. If you leave anything in a chest you don't own (ie in your house), it'll get taken eventually. Probably sooner than later.

The exception to that is if you kill everyone inside a cave, it takes a few days for the cave to be repopulated. So your stuff would be safe until that happens.

I wouldn't risk it though.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Really? Where can one find said Giant Mud Crab? (aside from in Sony's E3 presentations that it!)
Giant Mudcrab
A very rare version of the Mudcrab usually only talked about in legends, though one specimen has been confirmed to exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_of_Cyrodiil

Hmmm....not sure if someone is messing with the wiki or not.

ShutEye said:
I just played the Painter's Quest. Awesome game. Just awesome. Best lunch break ever!

You need to buy a house and store things there in order to not have them disappear over time. The cheapest house is in the main city, for 2000 gold. Otherwise other NPC's will take the stuff.

ShutEye said:

Painter's Quest is great. One of my favorites. Wait until you find the one where you enter the Dream World! ;)

Oh, and Ghaleon is right about chests. You can put stuff in them, but at your own risk. The only completely safe place to store them is in a house you own.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
ShutEye said:

If it's only for a short time, sure. I once dropped a bunch of potions in the middle of the lane in the Market District and they were there after 2 weeks of playing later. I've read a bunch of horror stories about leaving stuff in chests, though.

Temporarily dropping crap on the ground is probably fine.

teiresias

Is anyone playing the PC version of this game using a gamepad? I think I read that the X360 version has a slightly different interface to tailor it to gamepad control, but I'm not sure if those have been carried over to the PC version or not. What are people's opinions on this.

Ugh, I'm trying to decide whether to buy this or HL2, haha!! :lol

raYne

Big Nate said:
If it's only for a short time, sure. I once dropped a bunch of potions in the middle of the lane in the Market District and they were there after 2 weeks of playing later.
Yeah, the game is weird about that. I've left things in the middle of the street in cities as well really early in my game and they're still there. It's like the npcs are too "good" to take them from off the floor, but out of chests? Nooo problem! heh.

Actually, one of the things I really like is that if you kill someone (a bandit for instance) outside of a city the body will remain for a while... maybe even a day or so. Then the body will disappear like wild animals took it (imo of course), but the weapon they drop will remain. Then sometime after that, the weapon will be gone. :D

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Yeah, the game is weird about that. I've left things in the middle of the street in cities as well really early in my game and they're still there. It's like the npcs are too "good" to take them from off the floor, but out of chests? Nooo problem! heh.

Actually, one of the things I really like is that if you kill someone (a bandit for instance) outside of a city the body will remain for a while... maybe even a day or so. Then the body will disappear like wild animals took it (imo of course), but the weapon they drop will remain. Then sometime after that, the weapon will be gone. :D
This of course has it's limits. I was in town one day and a goblin game barging in through the main gate and went charging through town. Eventually guards took it out, but the goblin died right in the middle of the street in front of the shops. The body was there for like a month of game time. I guess no one wanted to pick it up. :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
teiresias said:

Man, no contest, buy Oblivion. It'll provide MUCH more entertainment value than HL2. Having said that, buy HL2 right afterwards! :lol

Various people talking about corpses and/or items remaining in game

My personal favorite was the quest that had you defend one of the waterfront shops in Anvil from robbers. You remain in the store after closing and catch them red-handed, and of course kill them. After I had done so, I moved the bodies around until they were all laying side by side, and to this day I still get a laugh everytime I walk into that store... cause they are still there!

Dude's store has got to be stinkin' by now...

NME

raYne said:

The pirates in the Waterfront district of the Imperial City were killed by a few guards and me. I must have played about a week in game time since that happened, and their bodies are still in the same spots that the fell, along with their swords (aside from being kicked about as the townsfolk and I walk near them).

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
This of course has it's limits. I was in town one day and a goblin game barging in through the main gate and went charging through town. Eventually guards took it out, but the goblin died right in the middle of the street in front of the shops. The body was there for like a month of game time. I guess no one wanted to pick it up. :lol
Yeah, anyone/thing that dies inside a city usually remains.

In my game, the Siren's Quest girls are dead on the bar floor. Garthir (Paranoia Quest) is dead right outside the church... I stripped him naked as well. :)lol) and a couple other people are dead in random taverns.

On a side note, Garthir was the first person I tested out my Necro staff on. I brought him back to life for a while and had his "nude" body running around town. :lol!

Big Nate said:
My personal favorite was the quest that had you defend one of the waterfront shops in Anvil from robbers. You remain in the store after closing and catch them red-handed, and of course kill them. After I had done so, I moved the bodies around until they were all laying side by side, and to this day I still get a laugh everytime I walk into that store... cause they are still there!

:lol Yeah, I did that Simpsons gag. After I killed them I turned one on his stomach and took the other guy's hand and put it on his butt. Teehee..

teiresias said:
Is anyone playing the PC version of this game using a gamepad? I think I read that the X360 version has a slightly different interface to tailor it to gamepad control, but I'm not sure if those have been carried over to the PC version or not. What are people's opinions on this.

I'm playing on the 360, but I thought I read that the PC version came with a configuration to use a 360 controller, since you can plug one in via USB. I'm not 100% positive on that.

Oh, and I've played HL2 and this, and no question Oblivion is the better game in my mind. Don't get wrong, HL2 is fun, and offers a great FPS experience, but after I beat it, I was on to something else in no time. I've been playing Oblivion though since the day of it's release, and I'm still finding new things to see and do. Like that damn giant mud crab I didn't know existed! :)

As for stuff laying around, I still see certain dead bodies laying around the cities here and there from various encounters, but the one that always makes me chuckle is when I go into the Smash 'n Slash shop, the one in Imperial City, and there is a pair of trousers, a shirt, and some shoes laying on the floor. They've been there for months of game time, and every time I see them, I think someone must be streaking around Imperial City. Either that, or they bought some new armor and headed out to get some revenge on someone. :)

Where the **** is the patch? :(

Seriously.

NOW ON TO MY NON PATCH RELATED COMPLAINTS, IN CASE CERTAIN PEOPLE DON"T UNDERSTAND

I was downloading an item last week and played two straight days of Oblivion. In those two days, I saw some flaws :\. Mainly, and it's not neccessarily a huge flaw depending on your opinion, but everything is the same. There's no real point to exploring like in Morrowing.

The problem with Morrowind was that there was no real point to exploring, because all the NPC's you'd met were carbon copies. Now the NPC's are more interesting, but the locations are the same....

It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Haven't returned to it since, and yesterday I started replaying through Bloodlines. I hope a patch comes out soon.

Otherwise Oblivion is quite good, but wasn't the.....one.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
teiresias said:

I've played both, and while I didn't use a gamepad for the PC I can tell you the interface for the two is virtually identical. The only real difference is you can mod the PC interface to be a little different, but for the most part it's exactly the same.

Wafflecopter said:
Where the fuck is the patch? :(

Seriously.

I was downloading an item last week and played two straight days of Oblivion. In those two days, I saw some flaws :\. Mainly, and it's not neccessarily a huge flaw depending on your opinion, but everything is the same. There's no real point to exploring like in Morrowing.

The problem with Morrowind was that there was no real point to exploring, because all the NPC's you'd met were carbon copies. Now the NPC's are more interesting, but the locations are the same....

It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Haven't returned to it since, and yesterday I started replaying through Bloodlines. I hope a patch comes out soon.

Otherwise Oblivion is quite good, but wasn't the.....one.

Um...do you think the patch is going to fix the issues you have with the game?? Seriously?

StRaNgE

Banned
Big Nate said:
Man, no contest, buy Oblivion. It'll provide MUCH more entertainment value than HL2. Having said that, buy HL2 right afterwards! :lol

ha ha that's awesomness!!!!

how did you move them around though?

so if you have a bounty, will it go away over time or do you have to pay or serve time to get rid of it after dumping all your stolen goods?

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Um...do you think the patch is going to fix the issues you have with the game?? Seriously?

No. I wasn't talking about those issues as bugs. I meant a patch for the bugs, but the bugs have already been covered, thus I mentioned the patch and summarily a few of my beefs. What am I, a moron? Why would I think the patch could fix those?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Big Nate said:
Check it out, next DLC preview is up. Looks like we're up to a $3 price-point. Hopefully that means a much larger download than the Thieve's Den was. Not knocking the 'Den, though, it's very nice.

http://obliviondownloads.com/Coming_Soon_DLC9.aspx

EDIT - Love this pic:

TES4-MehrunesQ04.jpg

Wow, something more that is NOT going to be available to many of us in PAL land, thanks Take2, thanks MS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
# 12 new books, notes, and journals to help you unravel the mystery.

Text is probably what is keeping most of the DLC away from some PAL territories... if only people here were less ignorant and it was possible to just let the in-game books be in English... then maybe... we would get the DLC... it is getting really upsetting.

Panajev2001a said:
Text is probably what is keeping most of the DLC away from some PAL territories... if only people here were less ignorant and it was possible to just let the in-game books be in English... then maybe... we would get the DLC... it is getting really upsetting.

I just ordered the UK Version, the German game is so bad. Some parts they FORGOT to translate.

Are those downloads available for the Xbox PAL version?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TerryLee81 said:
I just ordered the UK Version, the German game is so bad. Some parts they FORGOT to translate.

Are those downloads available for the Xbox PAL version?

They are not available here in Italy. It is country dependent I heard.

The Italian version has too been butchered beyond belief, but I have to surrender to the idea that the German version was handled even worse in terms of localization. Sometimes sentences do not make sense, often there are grammar mistakes and there are many typos in the books you read inside the game (like they do not use even once the apostrophe which is used quite a bit in actual Italian), sometimes the subtitles not only are questionably worded but they say something DIFFERENT compared to what the NPC is actually saying in his/her speech.

I am too wondering about the idea of just importing the U.K. edition, but it would have to be the standard edition as I already bought the Premium Edition here in Italy and I am not buying the most expensive edition twice.

Wafflecopter said:
No. I wasn't talking about those issues as bugs. I meant a patch for the bugs, but the bugs have already been covered, thus I mentioned the patch and summarily a few of my beefs. What am I, a moron? Why would I think the patch could fix those?

Judging from the way you write, you just might be a moron. You slam on the game for some issues you don't like, then ask where the patch is. That seems to indicate that you, for some reason, think the patch would solve some fundamental issues you have with the game. From reading your post, I was trying to even figure out why you're playing the game and waiting for the patch, if you have so many problems with the way it plays.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Big Nate said:
Check it out, next DLC preview is up. Looks like we're up to a $3 price-point. Hopefully that means a much larger download than the Thieve's Den was. Not knocking the 'Den, though, it's very nice.

http://obliviondownloads.com/Coming_Soon_DLC9.aspx

The dungeon is freaking huge. The DLC was internally called "Epic Dungeon". It's far, far bigger than any dungeon in Oblivion. Some interesting stuff going on in there, complete with ties to Morrowind :)

SteveMeister said:
The dungeon is freaking huge. The DLC was internally called "Epic Dungeon". It's far, far bigger than any dungeon in Oblivion. Some interesting stuff going on in there, complete with ties to Morrowind :)

Oooo...Cool! Now this sounds like it might be DLC that I'd be interested in. A massive dungeon sounds great, and ties to Morrowind is interesting too.

Steve is such a tease! ;)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
StRaNgE said:
ha ha that's awesomness!!!!

how did you move them around though?

so if you have a bounty, will it go away over time or do you have to pay or serve time to get rid of it after dumping all your stolen goods?

Just by grabbing their heads and/or various limbs. Moving bodies takes more time than objects, but it can be done. Luckily in this particular case they fell nearly like this already, which gave me the idea in the first place :lol

Stevemeister said:
The dungeon is freaking huge. The DLC was internally called "Epic Dungeon". It's far, far bigger than any dungeon in Oblivion. Some interesting stuff going on in there, complete with ties to Morrowind

OMG, get this thing out, stat! Will we be seeing this next week perhaps? Can't wait to drag my Orc ass through this thing wearing nothing but a robe and using a rusty cutlass.

NME

Well I'm on the last quest for
Skrivva
in the theives guild questline, and I'm really enjoying them. It helps nothing that I rented the game and am now without. I'll be picking it up (for real this time) shortly, perhaps as soon as tonight.

Does anyone care to recommend what my next course of action should be once I finish up the theives guild quests? Is there any quest line in particular I should look at in order to get interesting/useful rewards, or should I just get back to the main quest line? It seems funny to me that I've found all of these oblivion gates since the first one I closed and yet I stroll past them as if they were just some landmark. Oh well. :)

And if anyone can point me in the direction of a place that has some nice light armor I can steal, I'd appreciate it. One of my favorite acts in Morrowind was stealing a set of glass armor, then walking around decked out in the green gear. Anything not readily available that is (relatively) significantly better than my current chain mail would be nice. Thanks.

I've being doing mostly side quests since i began playing and decided to go ahead and advance a little in the main quest.

After i closed the first oblivion gate, the guards ask for my help to take back the city and get into the castle. However, the castle gate is closed and the guards are just rubbing against it looking for enemies to kill.

What am i supposed to do? Did the game just go nuts?

bengraven

SteveMeister said:

Fantastic. And with a fully-featured quest as well. Excitement +10.

NME

TheGuardian said:
I've being doing mostly side quests since i began playing and decided to go ahead and advance a little in the main quest.

After i closed the first oblivion gate, the guards ask for my help to take back the city and get into the castle. However, the castle gate is closed and the guards are just rubbing against it looking for enemies to kill.

What am i supposed to do? Did the game just go nuts?

There's another path you have to travel. You will ultimately unlock the gates.

Check your local map (not the map of Cyrodill) for areas you may have yet missed. It's tough to see things in all the rubble/darkness.

Nerevar

NME said:
And if anyone can point me in the direction of a place that has some nice light armor I can steal, I'd appreciate it. One of my favorite acts in Morrowind was stealing a set of glass armor, then walking around decked out in the green gear. Anything not readily available that is (relatively) significantly better than my current chain mail would be nice. Thanks.

unfortunately, it seems like the designers realized how exploitable that was in Morrowind and wisened up. There is no "high-level" loot lying around, it can only be found on characters as their equipment scales up in level to you. So the only way to get good armor (like glass, ebony, or daedric) is to level up yourself and go kill some bandits.

BTW, has anyone else noticed how hard it is to find a decent helmet? I've got at least a couple complete sets of every high-level type of armor (glass, ebony, daedric) except for the helmet - I'm still stuck wearing elven or steel helmets. What's up with that?

NME: What other questlines have you completed? You're working through the thieves guild, but have you done any of the other guilds? The Arena? How far are you on the Main Quest?

NME

Kung Fu Jedi said:
NME: What other questlines have you completed? You're working through the thieves guild, but have you done any of the other guilds? The Arena? How far are you on the Main Quest?

I've only finished the main quest so far as to deliver
Martin
to
Jauffre
and escort them to
the blades hedquarters.

I'm supposed to do something in the imperial city at this point in the main quest line, but once I made my way to the imperial city I got wrapped up in the theives guild quest line and you know the rest from that point.

So no other guilds to this point. Eventually I'll take a look at all of them just for the sake of having something to do, but if you want to recommend which I should join first in terms of benefit to my character or just what you've found to be the most fun, by all means do so.

I do very much want to join the arena. I've seen the posters around the imperial city but being busy with the theives guild quests I never looked too far into it. Where do I need to go to join the arena?

Nerevar said:
unfortunately, it seems like the designers realized how exploitable that was in Morrowind and wisened up. There is no "high-level" loot lying around, it can only be found on characters as their equipment scales up in level to you. So the only way to get good armor (like glass, ebony, or daedric) is to level up yourself and go kill some bandits.

Darn. I'm not really interested in leveling just for the sake of leveling. I'm just enjoying the ride for now. Thanks for the info, though.

I'm doing Dark Brotherhood right now, and I'd highly recommend saving them for last. They are by far the best quests, with thieves coming in second. Fighter's and Mage's guild are both decent, but not nearly as fun as DB and Thieves, imho.

Arena is fun, and a good way to make some cash. Also, don't be afraid to do some random tomb raiding, or picking up some of the other side quests along the way. There are tons of side quests and some of them are really well done, such as the Painter's Quest, and The Collector Questline.

Nerevar

eh, Arena's pretty boring. It's just fighting another character(s) for money. I might be in the minority, but I really liked the Mage's guild questline, although it becomes pretty standard when you get into the arcane university. Dark Brotherhood is supposed to be really good, but I have a hard time performing quests where I have to kill people (I'm just too much of a softy, I still have like 3 daedric quests I haven't done because I have to kill someone / something :lol ). If you've hit the minimum level, I suggest going around asking about daedric shrines and doing those quests. Some are REALLY good.

Nerevar said:
BTW, has anyone else noticed how hard it is to find a decent helmet? I've got at least a couple complete sets of every high-level type of armor (glass, ebony, daedric) except for the helmet - I'm still stuck wearing elven or steel helmets. What's up with that?

What helmet are you using? Have you done The Collector Questline? If so
I am using the Aleyid crown that he wanted you to steal for him. Actually, you can collect two of them if you do the quest right. I wear the better of the two as my helm. Best I've found in the game.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What helmet are you using? Have you done The Collector Questline? If so
I am using the Aleyid crown that he wanted you to steal for him. Actually, you can collect two of them if you do the quest right. I wear the better of the two as my helm. Best I've found in the game.

ahh, I haven't done the collector's questline at all besides getting 1 ayeleid statue, so that might explain. Right now I'm using my "Pharos Helm", the highest-quality helmet I've found (elven) with a constant light enchantment.

Top Bottom