• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
ugh, I HATE THE ****ING CRASHES.

does anyone else notice how they always come at the WORST time? Like, you get a crash, you get frustrated and you promise you're going to save before you open every door, and you play for a day and start to relax a little bit as you don't see any crashes, and it's autosaving every time you do something so you relax your saving habits a bit and then .... BOOM. Crash. Last autosave was 2 dungeons ago (honestly, how the hell does the autosave logic work? I'm really pissed off about this. sometimes it autosaves and sometimes it doesn't. wtf?). Half an hour or more of playtime lost. Your back in the middle of a quest you already completed. It's really getting on my nerves.

raYne

Nerevar said:
Last autosave was 2 dungeons ago...
That's not possible. At the very least it autosaves once you entered the last dungeon you were in (360 version).

It pretty much saves after every "big" load. Entering a dungeon, quick traveling, exiting an area when it leads to another "big" load etc.

I'm entering my 4th week of no crashes. :rock

Nerevar

raYne said:
That's not possible. At the very least it autosaves once you entered the last dungeon you were in (360 version).

It pretty much saves after every "big" load. Entering a dungeon , quick traveling, exiting an area when it leads to another "big" load etc.

I was being facetous, of course, but I've noticed it not save on times when I've entered into dungeons before. Usually I don't lose more than half an hour of playtime or so, but regardless, It's very odd.

firex

As weird as this sounds, I don't do a lot of optional dungeons right now, so I don't know if this is true or not, but I think it only autosaves if you enter a dungeon you haven't cleared out already (or if it's all respawned). I know for a fact it autosaves when you first enter a dungeon, fast travel, wait or sleep, and I think it also autosaves whenever you enter a major area (by that, I mean one of the cities in cyrodiil) or a shop/guild hall.

Xenon

Question about Fort Doublecross,
Is there a way to activate the rock wall in the caves? I don't want to know how, just if its possible. I'd hate to be spinning my wheels trying to find the "switch" if it needs to have an active quest or the like to be opened.

GhaleonEB

Being a petty thief is fun. Now that I'm the Champion, and everyone is praising me, I'm keeping busy raiding houses at night.
I was supposed to steal and fence 200gp worth of loot, and did three houses for over 600.
Stealing every single item of worth in a house is rather satisfying. I even take the time to speak to the occupants the night before. Just to make it personal. :)

Anyone tried this on the GeForce 7600GS? I got this card with my new machine (ships next week) and was just wondering how Oblivion performs on it (3ghz Pentium D, 1024 MB/RAM).

Thanks. :)

Jonnyram

I closed my first Oblivion gate this weekend and also got my recommendations to enter the Arcane University, so the game's heating up quite a bit for me now. I've not really been playing too much with the side stuff in towns, including raising the extraneous skills that you use outside fighting, but it's still sucking me in like anything.

firex

brandonh83 said:
Anyone tried this on the GeForce 7600GS? I got this card with my new machine (ships next week) and was just wondering how Oblivion performs on it (3ghz Pentium D, 1024 MB/RAM).

Thanks. :)
sorry about this, but what are the specs on the 7600GS? I've got a 6600GT, athlon xp 2700+, 1gb RAM and it runs really nicely for me... but I did turn off some of the cooler graphical features, like the grass (both so I'd get better framerates outdoors, and also because it makes hunting for alchemy ingredients WAY easier).

firex said:
sorry about this, but what are the specs on the 7600GS? I've got a 6600GT, athlon xp 2700+, 1gb RAM and it runs really nicely for me... but I did turn off some of the cooler graphical features, like the grass (both so I'd get better framerates outdoors, and also because it makes hunting for alchemy ingredients WAY easier).

7600GS is roughly equivalent to the ATi X1600 Pro, which is to say it's no slouch for a cheaper card, but no overclocked 6800 either. The pretty interesting thing is it's a single slot, passively cooled card.

At work, I run virtually the same setup as you do, and I definitely think the GS would be enough of an upgrade to turn on some of those graphical features, though I don't think it's enough to go crazy.

ElyrionX

LakeEarth said:
Or you can just go to the leader of the group and tell them you killed all the vampires. They'll leave.

I've tried that and there weren't any speech options to tell him that.

Over the weekend I finished up the Dark Brotherhood questline, which was awesome. Who ever designed and wrote those quests did a great job, and they are certainly the best of the quests in the game, the main questline not withstanding. Great stuff.

Now I've moved on to the Thieves Guild, which is back on track for me thanks to the glitch that fixed the my bugged quest! :) I'm about half-way through the thieves guild quests, and when I'm done there, I'll have every achievement in the game, and be the ehad of all the guilds.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm done with it by any means. Still plenty of side quests to do, dungeons to explore, and areas of the map to fill in. :D

ElyrionX

LakeEarth said:
Or you can just go to the leader of the group and tell them you killed all the vampires. They'll leave.

ElyrionX said:

Did you have any Vampire Dust on you when you talked to him? You need it to prove you killed the vampires. Any vampire dust will do; it doesn't have to be from the cave you were supposed to clear out.

Nerevar

Doublesith said:
Did you have any Vampire Dust on you when you talked to him? You need it to prove you killed the vampires. Any vampire dust will do; it doesn't have to be from the cave you were supposed to clear out.

I had the same problem, and I definitely had vampire dust. No speech option. I just had to kill them all in their sleep - very annoying. I think it has something to do with your conversation choices before you go to the cave to kill the vampires.

Do you guys have an particularly silly character traits for the characters you play in Oblivion? My guy seems to collect torches, even though I picked up a magic item weeks ago that has a permanent Cat's Eyes spell on it.

I think it stems from early on in the game, where I was always grabbing torches, because I knew that I'd need them eventually. And since they don't weigh anything, I just kept collecting them throughout the lenght of the game.

Yesterday, while playing I picked up a few more, then when I looked at my inventory, I noticed that I had 58 of them! :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Do you guys have an particularly silly character traits for the characters you play in Oblivion? My guy seems to collect torches, even though I picked up a magic item weeks ago that has a permanent Cat's Eyes spell on it.

I think it stems from early on in the game, where I was always grabbing torches, because I knew that I'd need them eventually. And since they don't weigh anything, I just kept collecting them throughout the lenght of the game.

Yesterday, while playing I picked up a few more, then when I looked at my inventory, I noticed that I had 58 of them! :lol

I have a tendancy to collect Daedra hearts, only because I had the same fetish in Morrowind, where I eventually made a Daedra heart bedspread (layer of them, side-by-side, covering the whole bed). I need to do this in Oblivion someday, perhaps using the bed in the Wizard's Tower.

I'm also obsessive about collection pumpkins and watermelons.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I like to kill bandits who ambush me on bridges. That way I can toss their corpse off the side of the bridge when I've disposed of them. :)

Xenon

Big Nate said:
I have a tendancy to collect Daedra hearts, only because I had the same fetish in Morrowind, where I eventually made a Daedra heart bedspread (layer of them, side-by-side, covering the whole bed).

WTF :lol

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I have the same thing with lockpicks. I have the skeleton key, but I still have over 100 lockpicks in my inventory. Since they're weightless, I just never even think about it.

I'm pissed I can't collect pillows and build a pillowfort though.

ElyrionX

Nerevar said:
I had the same problem, and I definitely had vampire dust. No speech option. I just had to kill them all in their sleep - very annoying. I think it has something to do with your conversation choices before you go to the cave to kill the vampires.

Same here. I think lying to him that you are a citizen will eliminate your future conversation options. Also, I had actually told him about the whereabouts of the cave but I did not bother to wait for them to enter the cave and instead went ahead and wiped out the whole vampire cave myself.

Anyway, luckily I had an earlier save file that is right at the beginning before I entered the cave so I waited and after about 14 hours of in-game waiting, the hunter finally entered and died. I cleaned up after them. For vampire hunters, they certainly don't have much decent equipment.

Glad to hear I'm not the only pack rat in Oblivion. I won't even get into all the crap I have stored in various places around my house! :lol

GhaleonEB

I found two of the Varla stones I sold! The jewler in the Market District of Imperial City still had them. I must have sold them 60 hours ago (in gameplay), back before I knew what they did. Especially now that I have two enchanted swords and a staff (Mage's Guild, baby! 80pts fire damage!) they will really come in handy.

Xenon

Sorry to repost this so soon but its driving me nuts.

Is there a way to activate the rock wall in the caves? I don't want to know how, just if its possible. I'd hate to be spinning my wheels trying to find the "switch" if it needs to have an active quest or the like to be opened.

Xenon said:
Sorry to repost this so soon but its driving me nuts.

I can't answer for certain on that particular location, but it's been my experience that all of the doors/rock walls/gates/etc. can be activated, you just need to find the switch. Sometimes they are easy to spot, sometimes you have to search a little. Sometimes they are located on the other side of that rock wall, and you can't do it from the side you are standing on.

The only times I've come across a door that I couldn't get open due to a quest, they required a key. When I would start that quest, the key was given to me, and I could then return to that door and open it. I've never seen a quest block a rock wall/hidden door.

GhaleonEB said:
I've never found that to help at all.
Me neither. In fact, after the first time I did it... It took longer to load up than before

Being a petty thief is fun. Now that I'm the Champion, and everyone is praising me, I'm keeping busy raiding houses at night. I was supposed to steal and fence 200gp worth of loot, and did three houses for over 600. Stealing every single item of worth in a house is rather satisfying. I even take the time to speak to the occupants the night before. Just to make it personal.
You're pure evil mister

The "Clear the Cache" trick has always worked for me. When ever I start to have slow loading times, I simply clear the cache on the next start-up, and I'm back up and running fine. It's odd that some of you guys haven't had this help you.

Other tricks to try include clearing out your inventory some. Others in this thread of reported having loading issues when they were carrying around too man miscellaneous items in their inventories. Drop some of those keys, notes, and other items you no longer need.

Also, clear out some old saves if you've got a bunch of them. I only keep three saves around, plus the autosave, but I know some people have reported a performance gain when they delete a bunch of their older saves that have been building up.

Performance for me is not at the level of a fast, first person shoot, but it's also not bad at all. I don't suffer from long load times, stuttering frame-rates, or crappy general performance very often, and when I do, clearing the cache has always fixed things for me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Xenon said:

Hehe, I'll look through my PC tonight and see if I can find my old Morrowind screenshots. I started the Daedra heart bedspread after first placing things like the hearts or various alchemic ingredients side-by-side and thought, "Hey, let's cover a whole bed! Now... what to use... *starts eyeing Daedra hearts*".

In Oblivion I seem to have a compulsion to also collect weapons that I don't use, like maces and warhammers. I probably have 50 Daedric maces laying around my Anvil home, and my Blunt skill is like 5 :lol

This game just doesn't get old.

Rahxephon91 said:
I always clear the cache but I find that the game runs horrible when your riding your horse across the game. It really slowsdown.

I would agree with this. I never ride a horse, aside from jumping on Shadowmere just to see how it worked. Framerate was crappy, and the horse controlled like crap as well.

Xenon

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I can't answer for certain on that particular location, but it's been my experience that all of the doors/rock walls/gates/etc. can be activated, you just need to find the switch. Sometimes they are easy to spot, sometimes you have to search a little. Sometimes they are located on the other side of that rock wall, and you can't do it from the side you are standing on.

The only times I've come across a door that I couldn't get open due to a quest, they required a key. When I would start that quest, the key was given to me, and I could then return to that door and open it. I've never seen a quest block a rock wall/hidden door.

Yeah I have gone far beyond searching a little now. Beside looking for switches Ive tried hitting the wall with every element, the weapons of fallen mages, putting on their cloths, and a whole bunch of other crazy shit. I still cant open it.

If anyone wants to give it a go Fort Doublecross is located
One O'clock from Leyawiin's North East Gate, directly north of the "ii" in Leyawiin on the map

Xenon said:
Yeah I have gone far beyond searching a little now. Beside looking for switches Ive tried hitting the wall with every element, the weapons of fallen mages, putting on their cloths, and a whole bunch of other crazy shit. I still cant open it.

If anyone wants to give it a go Fort Doublecross is located
One O'clock from Leyawiin's North East Gate, directly north of the "ii" in Leyawiin on the map

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can take a look tonight when I get home. But my new MacBook arrived today, so not sure if I'll get any Oblivion time in tonight. :D

Crazymoogle said:
7600GS is roughly equivalent to the ATi X1600 Pro, which is to say it's no slouch for a cheaper card, but no overclocked 6800 either. The pretty interesting thing is it's a single slot, passively cooled card.

At work, I run virtually the same setup as you do, and I definitely think the GS would be enough of an upgrade to turn on some of those graphical features, though I don't think it's enough to go crazy.

Cool, thanks. :)

{Mike}

Banned
I think the game became dull for me once I started to get daedric stuff. There's just nothing else better. Or am I missing some equipment? I only have one piece of equipment better than daedric stuff and it's boots that glow in the dark (green) so I don't need a torch anymore.

Xenon

Thanks, ive just had my attention diverted by the no gravity pb
paintbrush trick
. I have avoided reading message boards on the game for fear of spoilers but ran into this little gem. =) Enjoy your new toy

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The "Clear the Cache" trick has always worked for me. When ever I start to have slow loading times, I simply clear the cache on the next start-up, and I'm back up and running fine. It's odd that some of you guys haven't had this help you.

Other tricks to try include clearing out your inventory some. Others in this thread of reported having loading issues when they were carrying around too man miscellaneous items in their inventories. Drop some of those keys, notes, and other items you no longer need.

Also, clear out some old saves if you've got a bunch of them. I only keep three saves around, plus the autosave, but I know some people have reported a performance gain when they delete a bunch of their older saves that have been building up.

Performance for me is not at the level of a fast, first person shoot, but it's also not bad at all. I don't suffer from long load times, stuttering frame-rates, or crappy general performance very often, and when I do, clearing the cache has always fixed things for me.
Hm. Maybe I just suck. I've tried clearing the cache several times. Although, I do have a bunch of Misc. items. I keep every key and note that I get. hehe I guess I'll try that next.

Nerevar

AlanHemberger said:
Hm. Maybe I just suck. I've tried clearing the cache several times. Although, I do have a bunch of Misc. items. I keep every key and note that I get. hehe I guess I'll try that next.

yeah, that really slows things down for some odd reason. I've ditched almost every key in a chest in one of my houses and my performance went up by a lot. Plus it reduced my annoyance in having to scroll through EVERY SINGLE ****ING KEY in order to get to my repair hammer or Azura's star for recharging.

Richiban

So, how does enchantment work? Are you only able to enchant weapons and items with spells that you're able to cast, or is there another way to enchant things?

firex

it's got to be spells you can cast, but the strength is determined by the soul you're going to use out of the soul gem. So you can learn a 5 damage shock or fire or frost spell and make an enchant that does 50 damage, because it just goes by effects that you already know.

GhaleonEB

Nerevar said:
yeah, that really slows things down for some odd reason. I've ditched almost every key in a chest in one of my houses and my performance went up by a lot. Plus it reduced my annoyance in having to scroll through EVERY SINGLE ****ING KEY in order to get to my repair hammer or Azura's star for recharging.
Hmm, I'll try that. I'm buying a house in the capital city tonight to store all my stuff in (I found I was starting to lose track of what house had what - I'm going to consolidate it all into one). I'll ditch most of my keys and other crap.

I really wish there was a way to build a custom list of spells. I'd like to have the option of taking a spell and having it show up on a custom tab, where I add the content. I only use about ten spells right now, but there are over 80 in my inventory. It's a real pain scrolling through them. I have the top few hot keyed, but a way to break out the ones I really want would be very nice.

raYne

Richiban said:
So, how does enchantment work? Are you only able to enchant weapons and items with spells that you're able to cast, or is there another way to enchant things?
As firex said, as far as damage effects and the like go, it's limited to the spells you can cast at the time of the enchantments.

However, damage effects aren't the only category that you have access to. Your enchantments can also raise your skills (armorer, marksman, blade etc) as well as your stats (strength, sneak, speed etc). These things aren't limited to what spells you can cast at the time of the enchantment.

On a side note... 8000+ posts! :rock

The sigil stones from the Oblivion gates allow you to enchant items with spell effects you don't (necessarily) know. They can also be more powerful (once you start getting the 'transcendent' stones).

GhaleonEB said:
Hmm, I'll try that. I'm buying a house in the capital city tonight to store all my stuff in (I found I was starting to lose track of what house had what - I'm going to consolidate it all into one). I'll ditch most of my keys and other crap.

That's exactly why I only bought one house! :lol

And, Holy Crap! I didn't even notice that we were that close to 8000 posts! It's the thread that won't die! :D

raYne

Dr Zhivago said:
The sigil stones from the Oblivion gates allow you to enchant items with spell effects you don't (necessarily) know. They can also be more powerful (once you start getting the 'transcendent' stones).
Yeah, but they're completely random. You have to either be lucky to find one that you want to use or save right before you grab it. Then you can grab it and reload your file until you get one that you want.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
That's exactly why I only bought one house! :lol
Yeah, I own two. The one in Anvil and the one in Skingrad. I stop by my Skingrad house maybe once a week or so (my maid has the easiest job in Cyrodil! :lol)... but I keep everything at my Anvil house. As a result, I stop by there at least once every few days.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Yeah, but they're completely random. You have to either be lucky to find one that you want to use or save right before you grab it. Then you can grab it and reload your file until you get one that you want.
I got exactly ONE useful Sigil stone in the 12 gates I closed. (30pts fire damage, which I added to a 28pt claymore.) All the rest are crap I added to stuff to increase the value and sell. I was really disappointed with them. What made it worse is I have two sets of duplicates.

But I just joined the Mage's Guild (got into Arcane University), so it's time to start making my own. :)

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
I got exactly ONE useful Sigil stone in the 12 gates I closed. (30pts fire damage, which I added to a 28pt claymore.) All the rest are crap I added to stuff to increase the value and sell. I was really disappointed with them. What made it worse is I have two sets of duplicates.

But I just joined the Mage's Guild (got into Arcane University), so it's time to start making my own. :)
Yeah, as I said... they're useful at the beginning, but you're better off making your own.

Still, as I said. Save right before you grab it, then grab it.. check out the stats.. if it's not something you want, just reload the file and grab it again. The stats will change... repeat process until you get something useful.

terrygolder said:
Will magic gauntlets hurt ghosts when using hand to hand?
They should, but if your Hand to Hand isn't high or the gauntlets themselves don't do much damage, I wouldn't bother.

You can kill ghosts with anything magic, silver or daedric.

Right now I am at the point where I want to just play around with different types of characters. I'd like to see if I can make it through the game with a shirtless hand to hand fighter. It may be tough but it'll be fun. I love the animation for the hand to hand power hit when you are sneaking.

Top Bottom