• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Lo-Volt

Any surefire way to get
ectoplasm
in the
Fighters Guild
mission? A good dungeon or cave nearby with the goods?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Lo-Volt said:
Any surefire way to get
ectoplasm
in the
Fighters Guild
mission? A good dungeon or cave nearby with the goods?

IIRC, the church in Lleyawin has loads of ghosts in the basement. They drop what you need.

GhaleonEB

Well, I think I'm going to wrap up the main quest soon. I decided to advance it a bit and now I'm actually hooked on the *gasp* story, and want to see where it's going. Last night I finished rounding up all the
aid for Bruma - I closed the Gates at every town and got help from all of them. Took a long time. I then returned the armor and
finally found out what that Great stone was that I was carrying around was for. All this time I though that epic battle with the
King of Miscarcand
back when I was ~30 hours into the game was a fluke - I didn't realize it was part of the main plot. :lol
Martin's
reaction when I told him I already had it, after he did this big lead-in about how hard it would be to find, was classic. :lol

So I have this MASSIVE pack for the battle
as the gates open, ahead of the Great Gate at Bruma. And of course all of the enemies are coming straight at me, and all 14 soldiers there for help only help when I run screaming past them, while they stand there watching. And of course Martin is able to die now, for the first time in the entire game. Which he does over, and over, and over. Most becuase he's dressed exactly like a Daedric mage and I keep nailing him with my claymore (29pts damage + 30pts fire). Ooops. :lol :lol

So I run up to the Great Gate when it opens.
This is it, I'm thinking. The big moment - I select the Gate to enter, and the game freezes. Doesn't even get to the loading screen. Talk about anti-climactic. It took another five attempts to get through the battle with
Martin alive. At that point I was so frustrated that I sprinted through the Gate, without killing a single enemy, and grabbed the stone in four minutes flat.

After that, I went straight into
Paradise,
where I fought the
Spectoral Mudcrab
. It was actaully pretty tough, and had an AWESOME dagger on him.

I think I'll just finish up this storyline and then focus on the guilds. I'm almost no where in them - I just got done with my recomendations for the Mage's Guild, I've done enough Fighter's Guild quests to advance in rank once and I *just* joined the Thieve's Guild. I'm pretty far in the DB, I think, so I'm holding off on advancing that one for a while. It's like dessert. And I have
8 of the 10 items on the Collector's Quest to go.
Loving it.

Now how about that patch, Bethesda?!?!

C4Lukins

I am on the Thieves Guild quest where you are supposed to recover the ring from the jewel box while the countess is sleeping, but she never seems to go to bed. Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

C4Lukins said:
I am on the Thieves Guild quest where you are supposed to recover the ring from the jewel box while the countess is sleeping, but she never seems to go to bed. Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Does she go to the bedroom at all? I would find her in there around 11 PM or Midnight, although she wouldn't always go to sleep. Sometimes she was standing next to the bed, but if you have a good sneak skill, it won't matter.

C4Lukins

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Does she go to the bedroom at all? I would find her in there around 11 PM or Midnight, although she wouldn't always go to sleep. Sometimes she was standing next to the bed, but if you have a good sneak skill, it won't matter.

No she won't even go to her room, and I check at 11pm. She seems to stay at her dinner party most the night. I do have a quest concerning the dinner party so maybe I have to do that quest first in order to make it work.

NME

C4Lukins said:

She'll go to sleep. The game will tell you she sleeps at 11pm, but it's probably closer to 1am before she's out.

Also, heads up: when you snag the ring from her jewlery box, there may be two of the same ring. You'll only want to loot one of them (and then the rest of the contents of the jewlery box if you wish), otherwise when to try to turn in the ring, the option to do so will not show up.

C4Lukins said:
No she won't even go to her room, and I check at 11pm. She seems to stay at her dinner party most the night. I do have a quest concerning the dinner party so maybe I have to do that quest first in order to make it work.

Maybe. I don't think I've done that quest. For me, she just always headed to bed around 11 PM or so. Have you spoken with her handmaiden and gotten the information out of her?

C4Lukins

NME said:
She'll go to sleep. The game will tell you she sleeps at 11pm, but it's probably closer to 1am before she's out.

Also, heads up: when you snag the ring from her jewlery box, there may be two of the same ring. You'll only want to loot one of them (and then the rest of the contents of the jewlery box if you wish), otherwise when to try to turn in the ring, the option to do so will not show up.

I tried once at 11pm and another time at around 4am, I guess I'll give it another shot. Glad to know that it doesn't seem to be a known glitch.

NME said:

Yep. I got bitten by this bug. Lucky for me a different glitch allowed me to eventually still get promoted and continue on the thieves guild quests.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
C4Lukins said:

I believe you'll have to finish up the Sanguine quest before she'll leave the party.

NME

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yep. I got bitten by this bug. Lucky for me a different glitch allowed me to eventually still get promoted and continue on the thieves guild quests.

Is that right? That's pretty funny. I just went back to a save right before I picked her jewlery box's lock and redid the thing. Nice to hear that there are glitches to circumvent the glitches. :D

NME said:
Is that right? That's pretty funny. I just went back to a save right before I picked her jewlery box's lock and redid the thing. Nice to hear that there are glitches to circumvent the glitches. :D

Glitches that correct past glitches. Only Bethesda could have come up with that! :lol

Lo-Volt

Nerevar said:
IIRC, the church in Lleyawin has loads of ghosts in the basement. They drop what you need.

I tried that, but there was always someone catching me with every turn. Thank you for the help.

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I don't know if its a bug or anything but I found she wouldn't go to bed on my game either. There are a couple of things I found helpful. Using the wait feature will mess the quest up and she will end up either not going to bed at all or if she is already in bed the ring wouldn't be in her box. I ended up hitting her to get to get up can call the guards, ran away removed my bounty, came back to her party around 8 and stood around until she left to go to bed. I snuck behind her all the way up to her room and waited in the darkness for her to go to bed. Right before she went to bed she paused by her jewlery box and once she was asleep SUCCESS! Remember only take ONE ring if you see more than that otherwise you'll break the quest worse than ever.

The Dark One

I had problems with that mission, but in my case the jewellry case was always empty. I went away and did some other quests & it seemed to sort itself out.

On the helmet front, I've only ever seen one Daedric helmet :
in the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary, in the orc guy's chest
I fancied one of the crested helmets that the guards in the Imperial City have, so I sneaked into a watchtower & pickpocketed one. A few days later, I spotted a bare-headed guard on duty :lol

Also : Wabbajack.

GhaleonEB

I just found an easy way to score castle keys. A guard mentioned "the incident at Desolate Mine" (see my earlier rant about that) and I just snapped. Out comes Flamemare and I drop him in about five seconds flat. I get arrested, and pay my fine. I head out of the castle and see the body still laying there. I check it, and he's got the two castle keys on him. I take them in plain view of some guards, and no one notices. Now I have access. Gonna loot the place over the weekend. :D

GhaleonEB said:
I just found an easy way to score castle keys. A guard mentioned "the incident at Desolate Mine" (see my earlier rant about that) and I just snapped. Out comes Flamemare and I drop him in about five seconds flat. I get arrested, and pay my fine. I head out of the castle and see the body still laying there. I check it, and he's got the two castle keys on him. I take them in plain view of some guards, and no one notices. Now I have access. Gonna loot the place over the weekend. :D

Yeah, I've been finding all kinds of keys to castle on different guards too. One guard stopped to help me fight a Will-o-the-wisp the other day, and sadly he didn't make it. When I looted him I found some nice keys as well. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
GhaleonEB said:

I have had a blast gathering keys to all the castles. Something deliciously naughty about having keys them and then looting them dry at night. My personal favorite acquisition was scoring the keys to Leyawiin's castle, which I managed to do by pickpocketing a guard who was patrolling around the front door.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Judging from the way you write, you just might be a moron. You slam on the game for some issues you don't like, then ask where the patch is. That seems to indicate that you, for some reason, think the patch would solve some fundamental issues you have with the game. From reading your post, I was trying to even figure out why you're playing the game and waiting for the patch, if you have so many problems with the way it plays.

Wow. I think the moron might just be you. I said I wanted the patch, and then went on to my complaints. Not complaints about bugs. Do you think I was actually saying what you think I was saying. Honestly? You can't think that. Nobody could possibly take my comments that way, which is obvious because NOBODY else took my comments that way.

Wafflecopter said:
Wow. I think the moron might just be you. I said I wanted the patch, and then went on to my complaints. Not complaints about bugs. Do you think I was actually saying what you think I was saying. Honestly? You can't think that. Nobody could possibly take my comments that way, which is obvious because NOBODY else took my comments that way.

Well. You sure told me. Bethesda, get this guy a patch, quickly!

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well. You sure told me. Bethesda, get this guy a patch, quickly!

What are you going on about? Just admit you were wrong in your assumption. You assumed (and still do) that I thought the location problems could be fixed with a patch :lol WTF? How do you assume that? Nobody else got that from my post. Carry on thinking that though. Nothing I complained about had anything to do with the patch. I mentioned the patch first, then went onto my complaints. Do I need to type "NOW ON TO MY COMPLAINTS THAT ARENT PATCH RELATED" in big letters? In case you didn't notice, I didn't type where the patch was after my complaints, like the patch would fix them. I've been a PC gamer for 15 years, and you think I don't know what can be included in a patch? I expect you to not accept that you misconstrued, and continue the sarcasm.

Lo-Volt

Lo-Volt said:
I tried that, but there was always someone catching me with every turn. Thank you for the help.

I mean to ask, though, if someone sells it or if a nearby dungeon or cave supplies it. Any master journeymen know?

Wafflecopter said:
What are you going on about? Just admit you were wrong in your assumption. You assumed (and still do) that I thought the location problems could be fixed with a patch :lol WTF? How do you assume that? Nobody else got that from my post. Carry on thinking that though. Nothing I complained about had anything to do with the patch. I mentioned the patch first, then went onto my complaints. Do I need to type "NOW ON TO MY COMPLAINTS THAT ARENT PATCH RELATED" in big letters? In case you didn't notice, I didn't type where the patch was after my complaints, like the patch would fix them.

I didn't assume anything. I just looked at your orginal post and saw you demanding a patch, and then going on about basic game play issues you didn't like. None of which would be addressed in a patch.

In the interest of keeping this thread civil, I'll leave it at that. Apologies.

Lo-Volt said:
I mean to ask, though, if someone sells it or if a nearby dungeon or cave supplies it. Any master journeymen know?

I've never seen them in a merchant's store. I'd recommend looking for some Aleyid ruins. They seem to be populated with ghots, wraiths, etc.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I didn't assume anything. I just looked at your orginal post and saw you demanding a patch, and then going on about basic game play issues you didn't like. None of which would be addressed in a patch.

In the interest of keeping this thread civil, I'll leave it at that. Apologies.

Apologies accepted. I put a disclaimer so nobody else misunderstands. Let's mate.

Lo-Volt

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've never seen them in a merchant's store. I'd recommend looking for some Aleyid ruins. They seem to be populated with ghots, wraiths, etc.

Thank you very much. Time for me to look, then.

Nerevar

Lo-Volt said:

ghosts are midlevel enemies you encounter in caves with undead. Beyond that, the only really good place to find them are church undercrofts and crypts. Sorry I can't help beyond that.

Edit: Oh, Ayelid ruins. They always have undead. Duh :lol

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
to my knowledge, early on you're pretty much restricted to finding them in chests/boxes/slain enemies

alot of them are going to be around in the early going since it's anticipated that your security skill will be low and you'll still be learning the unlocking system, eventually via the thieves guild you will be able to buy them

Nerevar

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
This is a very basic question, as I just started playing this game 2 hours ago, and I am overwheLmed by the most basic things...

I broke/wasted all my Lockpics, where do I get more?

the only place to reliably get more is to buy them from the thieves guild vendors (the fences). Sometimes you find them on the bodies of bandits and other enemies, but that's not really reliable.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm doing Dark Brotherhood right now, and I'd highly recommend saving them for last. They are by far the best quests, with thieves coming in second.

Interestingly, this is pretty much the very first thing I did in the game. I've become obsessed with becoming as evil as possible and ascending the ranks, praise be to Dark Mother. Presently, I am an Eliminator. I must now seek out a drug-addicted High Elf in the Imperial City and make sure his addiction is....taken care of. Permanently.

Spill some blood for me, brother!

GhaleonEB

Nerevar said:
the only place to reliably get more is to buy them from the thieves guild vendors (the fences). Sometimes you find them on the bodies of bandits and other enemies, but that's not really reliable.
That's true, but I do find them in relative abundance outside of the thieves guild. I just joined the thieves guild after 110 hours of play, and I rarely ran out of lockpics. Bandits and goblins usually carry them, and often more than one. I averaged 10-20 on hand at any time. Do some caves and ruins and you'll find quite a few.

GhaleonEB

Solo said:
Or you can just get the
Skeleton Key
and be done with it.
You know, not everyone wants to have stuff like that spoiled. Please spoiler tag stuff like that, especially with new players asking for advice.

GhaleonEB

Well, I think the main quest is over. Nice finale. All I have left to do is
pick up my armor in two weeks.
Now that I'm the
Champion
, I'm off to do more important things: busy myself being a petty thief. :lol

I love everything about this game, but I can't get over the fact that it runs like complete ASS on my 360. Every loading zone is followed by a major framerate dip - occasionaly to the point that it'll completely lock up for a second or two. And forget running through the woods as the framerate gets worse than KOTOR. Turning from side to side = more framerate probs.

I understand that there's a shit ton going on, but I just can't get over it. It just drives me bonkers. Is this a problem with everyone's game or is it just my particular 360?

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
I love everything about this game, but I can't get over the fact that it runs like complete ASS on my 360. Every loading zone is followed by a major framerate dip - occasionaly to the point that it'll completely lock up for a second or two. And forget running through the woods as the framerate gets worse than KOTOR. Turning from side to side = more framerate probs.

I understand that there's a shit ton going on, but I just can't get over it. It just drives me bonkers. Is this a problem with everyone's game or is it just my particular 360?
No, that's how it is. I noticed it got MUCH worse the faster I made my character, as well. The sheer freqency of the "loading" text at the bottom...sometimes it stays there for a long damn time, as I hop from one zone to the next. I've just started to fast-travel, and it mostly has to do with the fact that walking around the coutryside is just ugly due to the streaming issues. Not sure if it's something that could be improved with a patch, but I hope they try.

Solo

Runs pretty much flawlessly on my PC. Ive heard you need to clear the 360's cache to increase Oblivion performance on that console, however.

ElyrionX

SPOILERS AHEAD

Ok, I'm doing the Mage's Guild quests right now and I'm curently at the quest where I have to help the Count of Skingrad clear a cavern full of vampires as well as to get rid of the vampire hunters. Now, I've already cleared the vampire cavern but the vampire hunters are still around. Is there any other way to finish this quest or is murdering them my only option?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ElyrionX said:
SPOILERS AHEAD

Ok, I'm doing the Mage's Guild quests right now and I'm curently at the quest where I have to help the Count of Skingrad clear a cavern full of vampires as well as to get rid of the vampire hunters. Now, I've already cleared the vampire cavern but the vampire hunters are still around. Is there any other way to finish this quest or is murdering them my only option?

At this point, you've probably got to kill them yourself. I could be wrong, I don't know. I just sent them into the cave to get killed by the vampires, and only had to deal with a few vampires left standing.

ElyrionX said:
SPOILERS AHEAD

I found this quest to be very tricky. I originally did the same as you, but couldn't get rid of the hunters. I think you should wait 24 hours first to see if they have left town. If not, (I hope you have a save point) restart the quest and wait at the cave until the hunters go in and kill the vampires. With the hunters inside, go in yourself and kill them in the cave. Again, wait 24 hours for the quest to register as being completed.

Top Bottom