• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Yeah, as I said... they're useful at the beginning, but you're better off making your own.

Still, as I said. Save right before you grab it, then grab it.. check out the stats.. if it's not something you want, just reload the file and grab it again. The stats will change... repeat process until you get something useful.
I didn't realize that - must have missed your other post. hey, there's only 8,000 posts so far. :lol

But it's too late now since I beat the main quest
and all the Oblivion gates shut down
. That had a lot to do with why I'm working on the Mage's Guild now. But I just read that the soul gems are part of enchanting, and I blew all my big ones just a bit ago. I'll need to go dungeon raiding to get some more grand ones; I think I'll do the Collector questline for them.

Random side note: The last "boss" battle was pretty weak.
I found the guy in Paradise to get the Amulet of Kings back. Just as I spoke to him I wound up with my power move to knock down. He said, "They try to take it!" right as I knocked him flat on his back. I stood over him and beat him to death with my claymore before he could even stand up. And that was that.
I didn't realize at the time that he was the last boss, the
climactic battles in the city aside (where all I did was run from place to place

LakeEarth

GhaleonEB said:
Random side note: The last "boss" battle was pretty weak.
I found the guy in Paradise to get the Amulet of Kings back. Just as I spoke to him I wound up with my power move to knock down. He said, "They try to take it!" right as I knocked him flat on his back. I stood over him and beat him to death with my claymore before he could even stand up. And that was that.
I didn't realize at the time that he was the last boss, the
climactic battles in the city aside (where all I did was run from place to place
If anything is wrong with Oblivion, its the weakness of their bosses. Most of them can be paralyzed and then raped before they can get back up.

raYne

LakeEarth said:
If anything is wrong with Oblivion, its the weakness of their bosses. Most of them can be paralyzed and then raped before they can get back up.
Then don't paralyze them. That's like turning the difficulty all the way down and then complaining that the game is too easy. :p

I just got into Hand to Hand in my last 20 hours or so. It rocks when you have access to a paralysis spell. I have a 7 second one, so I can freeze a baddy mid attack and wail on him while he's on the ground. :lol

Plus it's hilarious when you encounter a baddy on a mountain with a high angled drop. They charge right at you and you stop them in their tracks with paralysis. Then they roll down the mountainside all the while taking damage from the fall until they die. One touch, flawless victory... physics ftw!

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Then don't paralyze them. That's like turning the difficulty all the way down and then complaining that the game is too easy. :p
Hey, it's just using the tools the designers put in the game. It's good instinct to pull out your nastiest weapons/spells for boss battle. It's just a shame that doing so results in their full and total raping. :lol

I just got into Hand to Hand in my last 20 hours or so. It rocks when you have access to a paralysis spell. I have a 7 second one, so I can freeze a baddy mid attack and wail on him while he's on the ground. :lol

Plus it's hilarious when you encounter a baddy on a mountain with a high angled drop. They charge right at you and you stop them in their tracks with paralysis. Then they roll down the mountainside all the while taking damage from the fall until they die. One touch, flawless victory... physics ftw!
I was thinking of getting into hand-hand - sounds like fun.

LakeEarth said:

I agree with this for the most part. Some of the boss fights didn't feel as "epic" as I would have liked, especially considering the scope of the game. More challenging, intellitent, and down right scary bosses are needed for ES V.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Hey, it's just using the tools the designers put in the game. It's good instinct to pull out your nastiest weapons/spells for boss battle. It's just a shame that doing so results in their full and total raping. :lol
:lol

I was thinking of getting into hand-hand - sounds like fun.
It is, but it has it's downsides. For example you can't parry weapon attacks at all.. and you can't block them that well either. If your character isn't really quick or you don't have access to paralysis you're at a severe disadvantage. In addition, there aren't any Hand to Hand "weapons" that you can use. No spiked gloves, no brass knuckles, no nothing.

Hand to Hand is really fast though, and you can stagger people easier than you can with other weapons.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:

It is, but it has it's downsides. For example you can't parry weapon attacks at all.. and you can't block them that well either. If your character isn't really quick or you don't have access to paralysis you're at a severe disadvantage. In addition, there aren't any Hand to Hand "weapons" that you can use. No spiked gloves, no brass knuckles, no nothing.

Hand to Hand is really fast though, and you can stagger people easier than you can with other weapons.
My character is pretty zippy, speed-wise. It's really too bad there is not a weapon/glove class for fighting, though. That's one thing I'm a little disappointed in with Oblivion - the variety of the weapons is pretty low. It's great once you start mixing in the enchantments, but the actual weapon classes (bow, dagger, short sword, long sword, claymore, mace, axe, battle axe and warhammer) are pretty limiting.

Speaking of which - is there any advantage to using Blunt weapons? I've maxed my Blade skill but since I'm a battlemage Blunt is one of my primary skills. Any advantage to leveling that, other than increasing the level of my character? (In some games I've played, blunt weapons did more damage to skeletons, for example.)

firex

I don't know how high up your block is, but at 50 and onward you can block melee attacks unarmed much more easily.

Personally, I still really love this game, but I'm finding the AI is really exploitable. It's brilliant in some ways and then incredibly dumb in others. I know that probably doesn't make any sense, but I just don't feel any danger in combat unless I'm vastly outnumbered anymore. like when I got about 10 cheydinhal guards attacking me at once, that was one of the few times I really feared for my life in game. that's definitely an issue that happens more as you level up though. but, with 100 marksman (takes awhile and some money, but this is by far the best physical attack skill I've tried) and 60ish blades along with 100 light armor (very boring building it up, but worth it for the mastery) hardly anything poses a big threat to me. I hate making yet another comparison between this game and Fallout, but in Fallout when I got to the best combat perks (sniper or slayer), even with a near-perfect stat/perk build and the advanced power armor, I felt a lot more danger because you couldn't build up every single skill/max every single stat like you can in Oblivion. Even if you use some of the postgame cheats to get to level 99 in Fallout 2, you can't max every skill with all of those skill points, so you HAVE to have some weaknesses/deficiencies. Then again, the Fallout games aren't a complete sandbox like Oblivion so I can see why they focused a bit more on some limitations to your character.

firex

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of which - is there any advantage to using Blunt weapons? I've maxed my Blade skill but since I'm a battlemage Blunt is one of my primary skills. Any advantage to leveling that, other than increasing the level of my character? (In some games I've played, blunt weapons did more damage to skeletons, for example.)
I've tried blunt weapons too, and I think on the whole they do a little more damage than blades for the same degree of materials. Maybe not, but I know at like 30 blunt skill a daedric mace had maybe 1 less damage than a daedric longsword at 60 blades. I think that's the only real advantage... well, and if you don't like using swords.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
firex said:
I've tried blunt weapons too, and I think on the whole they do a little more damage than blades for the same degree of materials. Maybe not, but I know at like 30 blunt skill a daedric mace had maybe 1 less damage than a daedric longsword at 60 blades. I think that's the only real advantage... well, and if you don't like using swords.

blunt in general does more damage but weighs more, so it drains more fatigue with each swing, from what I remember. Plus, you can't swing a blunt weapon as fast as a blade. Also, almost all the good blunt weapons are two-handed, so you should take that into account (warhammers and battleaxes). I don't know if that's 100% factually true, but it's what I've noticed from the gameworld.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
*shrugs* I don't like blunt at all. Other than the single handed weapons, it's just far too slow for my liking, so don't use it much. Blunt seems to do only slightly more damage as well, which I find a bit weird since that would be the main advantage. Also, I just plain don't like how they look. Blade appeals to me more.

I haven't experimented with it at all, but I'm guessing that it'd be easier to stagger or knock down an opponent with blunt weapons because of the weight. If that isn't the case then it's totally useless.

Blunt weapons were always too slow for me as well, not to mention how heavy they are to carry around, thus keeping you from carrying other items. I use a long sword for most of my melee combat, and a bow for distance, and supplement both with magic.

GhaleonEB

Okay, sounds like everyone else is in the same boat as I am, RE: blunt weapons. I keep trying to force myself to use them, but in addition not having any noticable benefit, they just don't seem as fun to use as blade weapons. Not sure if that's because they are heavier, slower, or what. If there's no real benefit to using them I think I'll just forget about it altogether.

Thanks guys.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, sounds like everyone else is in the same boat as I am, RE: blunt weapons. I keep trying to force myself to use them, but in addition not having any noticable benefit, they just don't seem as fun to use as blade weapons. Not sure if that's because they are heavier, slower, or what. If there's no real benefit to using them I think I'll just forget about it altogether.

Thanks guys.

Do you have a high Marksman Skill? I feel learning to use the Bow is of way more value than blunt, imho.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Do you have a high Marksman Skill? I feel learning to use the Bow is of way more value than blunt, imho.
It's decent, approaching 50 soon. I think I'll start focusing on that over blunt.

can you enchant arrows, and not just bows? I have a small cache of enchanted arrows I found which are just wicked powerful, especially in combination with the enchanted bow. (20pt shock damage + 60pts or so fire damage)

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
can you enchant arrows, and not just bows?
Just bows unfortunately. I have a closet full of enchanted arrows at home that I'll never use since you can't replace them easily.

GhaleonEB said:
It's decent, approaching 50 soon. I think I'll start focusing on that over blunt.

can you enchant arrows, and not just bows? I have a small cache of enchanted arrows I found which are just wicked powerful, especially in combination with the enchanted bow. (20pt shock damage + 60pts or so fire damage)

Hmm... I haven't tried to enchant arrows, but that's a good question. I've got tons of them, so I should give it a shot. I also have a lot of already enchanted arrows that do work great with a good bow! :)

When you get your Marksman above 50, you can then zoom in by holding the left trigger, which makes it an even more useful skill from a distance. Personally, I think it's more useful than Blunt, but then I tend to play stealth type characters.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Kung Fu Jedi said:
That's exactly why I only bought one house! :lol

And, Holy Crap! I didn't even notice that we were that close to 8000 posts! It's the thread that won't die! :D

this thread is just doin sidequests, still got to get around to the mainquest, we've got months of life left!

thread hasn't even become a vampire yet

I want to know about hand to hand

my questions regarding Hand to Hand are WHY? HOW?

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Just bows unfortunately. I have a closet full of enchanted arrows at home that I'll never use since you can't replace them easily.

Damn. Those Arrows of Immolting Flame were wicked nasty. I hit a guy with that, plus 20pts shock damage + damage via poison + sneak and launched his fried corpse accross a room in one shot. I was hoping to make that a more frequent event. :D

raYne

Ash Housewares said:
this thread is just doin sidequests, still got to get around to the mainquest, we've got months of life left!

thread hasn't even become a vampire yet

I want to know about hand to hand

my questions regarding Hand to Hand are WHY? HOW?
Not really... pretty much everything's been covered at least once. It's just that either people new to the game are just starting, or others are just getting around to certain things. For the most part, everything's been done. ;)

GhaleonEB said:
Damn. Those Arrows of Immolting Flame were wicked nasty. I hit a guy with that, plus 20pts shock damage + damage via poison + sneak and launched his fried corpse accross a room in one shot. I was hoping to make that a more frequent event. :D
They tease the hell out of you with stuff like that too. You find some uber arrows in a dungeon in the middle of nowhere and of course want to use them if only to try them out. But if you do, you'll never find another set!

...then why do you keep them? No idea! :lol

snaildog

To anyone considering playing Morrowind again, this guy has made one huge awesome zip file of a hundred or so 'must-have' mods, along with a step-by-step idiots guide to get them all working together perfectly. He's got a torrent going for it. Fully modded Morrowind > Oblivion

Nerevar

snaildog said:
To anyone considering playing Morrowind again, this guy has made one huge awesome zip file of a hundred or so 'must-have' mods, along with a step-by-step idiots guide to get them all working together perfectly. He's got a torrent going for it. Fully modded Morrowind > Oblivion

maybe,

but thankfully, full modded Oblivion >> fully modded Morrowind :D

firex

btw, this may just be from playing around with excessive strength, but I think if you stack it way up there you can really knock people around with killing blows in melee. I know I've sent a couple people flying a lot farther after I built up a lot of strength, even moreso when I played around for a bit with way over 100 (just using the console in the PC version and then setting it back to normal).

snaildog said:

Thanks for the insights, but Oblivion >>> Morrowind. Mix in the mods for both, and that statement remains true.

Xenon

Some Things that would improve the game for me.

Magic Chest that you could buy for each house you own that shares the same inventory

Detect treasure spell - i cant count how many weapons/bodies I've lost in the freakin grass

The option for classic classes that have bonuses/penalties for using certain equipment/magic.

More individual animations for spells or just individual spells for that matter. Seems like there is really only 6-10 spells and you just change the distance, duration, and magnitude. I'd love to see wall of fire, ice patch or even magic missle.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Thanks for the insights, but Oblivion >>> Morrowind. Mix in the mods for both, and that statement remains true.

Finally, someone else who shares my opinon. Morrowind is a game for ES fans and Oblivion is a game for Xbox/360 fans.

Core407

Banned
firex said:
I don't know how high up your block is, but at 50 and onward you can block melee attacks unarmed much more easily.

Personally, I still really love this game, but I'm finding the AI is really exploitable. It's brilliant in some ways and then incredibly dumb in others. I know that probably doesn't make any sense, but I just don't feel any danger in combat unless I'm vastly outnumbered anymore. like when I got about 10 cheydinhal guards attacking me at once, that was one of the few times I really feared for my life in game. that's definitely an issue that happens more as you level up though. but, with 100 marksman (takes awhile and some money, but this is by far the best physical attack skill I've tried) and 60ish blades along with 100 light armor (very boring building it up, but worth it for the mastery) hardly anything poses a big threat to me. I hate making yet another comparison between this game and Fallout, but in Fallout when I got to the best combat perks (sniper or slayer), even with a near-perfect stat/perk build and the advanced power armor, I felt a lot more danger because you couldn't build up every single skill/max every single stat like you can in Oblivion. Even if you use some of the postgame cheats to get to level 99 in Fallout 2, you can't max every skill with all of those skill points, so you HAVE to have some weaknesses/deficiencies. Then again, the Fallout games aren't a complete sandbox like Oblivion so I can see why they focused a bit more on some limitations to your character.

Have you tried messing around with the difficulty slider? It improves replayability, but it deson't work so well with the auto-scaling of enemy difficulty.

GhaleonEB

Xenon said:
Some Things that would improve the game for me.

Magic Chest that you could buy for each house you own that shares the same inventory

Detect treasure spell - i cant count how many weapons/bodies I've lost in the freakin grass
The option for classic classes that have bonuses/penalties for using certain equipment/magic.

More individual animations for spells or just individual spells for that matter. Seems like there is really only 6-10 spells and you just change the distance, duration, and magnitude. I'd love to see wall of fire, ice patch or even magic missle.
Hells yeah. Just last night I lost two corpses out of three in one battle. Damn grass. :(

Brannon

Been fun so far, but I want to have a smoother experience. Every time I fight 2 or more enemies, I get serious frame rate drops and chopping. My PC so far is

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz
1.5 GB RAM
Radeon X1300 series w/256 MB RAM

Where is the serious bottleneck in this? I've done defrag and driver updates and stopped any unnecessary programs from running.

Nerevar

Core407 said:
Finally, someone else who shares my opinon. Morrowind is a game for ES fans and Oblivion is a game for Xbox/360 fans.

what? Morrowind was a great game in its own right, but it's also 5 years old with a ton of problems of its own. I disagree with some of the design choices in Oblivion, but overall it's a vastly better game, in just about every respect. Just because Oblivion is more approachable doesn't make it any less of an elder scrolls game.

Aaron

What defines an 'Elder Scrolls' game, out of curiousity? I vaguely remember playing Daggerfall, though honestly I was more into the Ultima series at the time. I loved Morrowind to bits. It was the only game I played for a month solid.

Oblivion, however, bores me to tears. As nice as it looks and as improved as the combat is, I don't want to do anything in the game. The majority of the quests aren't fun for me, and exploration is dead when every place looks the same, with the same loot and the same leveled enemies. I've tried, for 30 hours I've tried, but no matter what I do I just can't get the same fun out of it that I had with Morrowind.

GhaleonEB

Okay, I just bought the house in the slums of the capital city and ditched all my books, notes and keys there. About 150 items in total. Surprise! The game is running MUCH smoother for me now. I was seriously laughing with delight at the smooth framerate outdoors. Low inventory FTW!!

Oh, and I though the Collector's questline would be a simple "collect the
ten artifacts and be done kind of affair. But no. I return #3, and now he has a new, seperate mission for me. I just found artifact #4, and the next two places are not even on my map yet.
A hunting I will go! (found another four Varla stones in the process) Good times. :D

Tomb raiding still isn't old. I even found a useful axe *gasp*. One-handed, 20pts damage + 20pts fire. I might actually keep it as a secondary weapon and level my Blunt skill afterall.

firex

oh, damn, I honestly forgot about the difficulty slider. it's on the default right now, so I'll ramp it up a little bit. one thing I'm noticing is I think my leveling mod (kobu's character advancement system) has messed with the randomization of enemies: I'm still finding wolves, imps and even rats out in the wilderness, and the toughest things I've fought were mountain lions... well, wait, undead are also scaling to my level. It's just overworld creatures that aren't - I think I faced like one or two minotaurs (not counting some very special ones that guard an NPC) and maybe an ogre, but that's it for the tougher wilderness types of creatures (and I'm level 42 now). the realm of oblivion was a lot more balanced for my level, though, so it may just be that the tougher enemies don't start appearing in the world until you advance the main plot to the point where oblivion gates pop up everywhere. I left Brother Martin at Kvatch and rushed off to do the Thieves' Guild and now I'm working on the DB, so I don't have any oblivion gates around the world. Ah well, we'll see how it goes. I don't know how far I am into the DB, but I've got a feeling I'm not too far away from the end, so after that I'll finish up the main quest with this guy.

I've got to say though, I have more fun being evil than good in this game... and I don't really like it. I had fun doing both good AND evil in some other PC RPGs, but here I just don't feel that attachment to the NPCs to where I feel bad about robbing/killing any of them.

snaildog

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm sure it will some day, but Oblivion doesn't have 4 years worth of awesome mods yet.

IMO Oblivion has better scripted quests (although a lot are too scripted), better battle system, and the Radiant AI is pretty cool, but that's it. It doesn't have all the background lore of Morrowind, and the conversations are all much simpler because of the voice acting. Plus the landscape and cities are repetitive and boring, random bandits wearing Daedric armour completely kills the buzz of finding cool equipment, and the dungeons are all roughly the same - filled with enemies of your level and usually ending in something as exciting as a chest with 87 gold pieces and a repair hammer. I also miss being able to face enemies and quests way beyond your level and being forced to either go away and train or find some sneaky way around them.

I know you don't have to use them, but I hate the auto-travelling and quest compass. Getting from one side of the continent to the other should be a huge commitment, not just clicking the mouse and waiting two seconds. And the compass killed the immersion for me; in Morrowind you have to follow directions and look out for landmarks, not just line up the red arrow and walk forwards. Oh and one last random complaint is that you can easily make a jack-of-all-trades character and do every single quest in the game.

I'll probably give Oblivion another good chance when an expansion comes out and there are solid, definitive mods to overhaul the parallel levelling and loot.

I have never used the quick travel function, though I have realized that the enviroments aren't nearly as varied as Morrowind, thus not really worth exploring :\. Quick travel just doesn't feel right. I think I am going to fire up Morrowind now.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I just bought the house in the slums of the capital city and ditched all my books, notes and keys there. About 150 items in total. Surprise! The game is running MUCH smoother for me now. I was seriously laughing with delight at the smooth framerate outdoors. Low inventory FTW!!

Oh, and I though the Collector's questline would be a simple "collect the
ten artifacts and be done kind of affair. But no. I return #3, and now he has a new, seperate mission for me. I just found artifact #4, and the next two places are not even on my map yet.
A hunting I will go! (found another four Varla stones in the process) Good times. :D

Glad to hear you've got a more stable framerate, it does make all the difference, and the game is much more enjoyable for exploring.

And yeah, the Collector's Quest is pretty awesome. Starts off like something fairly basic, and builds nicely from there. Did you
go after the Alyeid Crown yet?

snaildog said:
I'm sure it will some day, but Oblivion doesn't have 4 years worth of awesome mods yet.

I agree. Oblivion has only been out a few months, and Morrowind has the benefit of years of mods, but Oblivion's mod library is growing quickly, and it won't be long before it's up there with Morrowind. There are already some great mods out. But I do feel, that out of the box, Oblivion is a better game than Morrowind on a number of levels.

snaildog said:
IMO Oblivion has better scripted quests (although a lot are too scripted), better battle system, and the Radiant AI is pretty cool, but that's it. It doesn't have all the background lore of Morrowind, and the conversations are all much simpler because of the voice acting. Plus the landscape and cities are repetitive and boring, random bandits wearing Daedric armour completely kills the buzz of finding cool equipment, and the dungeons are all roughly the same - filled with enemies of your level and usually ending in something as exciting as a chest with 87 gold pieces and a repair hammer. I also miss being able to face enemies and quests way beyond your level and being forced to either go away and train or find some sneaky way around them.

The quests are far deeper, and better written then they were in Morrowind, although there were more overall quests in MW. However, many of them felt more generic, or were simple "FedEx" type quests. Oblivion has fewer overall quests, but they offer more variety, and some of them are very involved. For example: The Painter's Quest, The Collector's Questline, and The Dream World Quest are all great examples of how much better the quests are in Oblivion.

Radiant AI works fairly well, even if it's not a huge leap forward. The Oblivion world feels way more alive than Morrowind ever did, and you actually get the sense that the NPC's have their own life. Heck, you can even follow them around and watch them go about their day if you want to, and you'll see some fairly interesting things. It's a major improvement over Morrowind in that respect.

The leveling system has been talked to death in this thread, so I won't go into too much again, suffice as to say that some people like it and some don't. I do like that it offers a nice challenge throughtout the length of the game, but it does need to be tuned to offer more variety, and perhaps to make certain bosses/npc's/creatures more challenging. Loot drops need to be adjusted as well, but I'm guessing we'll see nice tweaks to the system in Elder Scrolls V.

What I do miss about Morrowind is the deeper background, which you've mentioned, as well as the House Questlines. They added a nice history and richness to the world, and made for a complex story. I would have loved to have seen something along those lines in Oblivion as well. And I do agree that Morrowind had more varied landscapes to explore. Morrowind in the Oblivion Engine would be awesome to see.

snaildog said:
I know you don't have to use them, but I hate the auto-travelling and quest compass. Getting from one side of the continent to the other should be a huge commitment, not just clicking the mouse and waiting two seconds. And the compass killed the immersion for me; in Morrowind you have to follow directions and look out for landmarks, not just line up the red arrow and walk forwards. Oh and one last random complaint is that you can easily make a jack-of-all-trades character and do every single quest in the game.

There is no reason you have to use the quick travel options and compasses if you don't want. I generally only use quick travel when I'm doing house keeping. Selling off stuff, making a run to my house to drop off equipment, etc. It's totally up to you on how and when you use them, and it doesn't hurt the game that it has them as an option.

Not using the compass is a bit of a different story, as the quests are written as well as the ones in Morrowind for you to just get directions to an area. However, the compass does help you to stay on task much easier, and has made the game more approachable to new fans of the series. It has, at times, made the quests a lot easier however.

Completeing all the quests with one character doesn't really feel like a bad thing to me either, as a game with this scope is hard to play through multiple times anyway. You could do the same in Morrowind, except that in that game there were quests that would cancel one another out, so it was impossible to get them all in one play through. Oblivion doesn't have quests that cancel one another, which again makes it more approachable. But a good Jack-of-all-trades character was about the same in Morrowind, minues the quests that cancelled one another.

snaildog said:
I'll probably give Oblivion another good chance when an expansion comes out and there are solid, definitive mods to overhaul the parallel levelling and loot.

I'd highly recommend that you do give Oblivion another chance, as it's an amazing game. I've played both Daggerfall and Morrowind before this, so I'm a long time Elder Scrolls fan, and I've found that Oblivion is probably my favorite of the three that I've played. All the games have elements that I like, and wish were incorporated in every version, but it has evolved well over the years. When you consider the scope of these games, and that Oblivion has made it much easier to get immersed in the world and approach the quests, I think it's pretty hard to not be impressed.

Nerevar

I don't want to really get too involved in this debate, but the biggest problem with Morrowind is that it's totally broken, and you don't realize how much that can suck the fun out of the game until you play a game that isn't. It's ridiculously easy to get a super-powerful character in a few hours from a new game start in Morrowind because all the high level stuff is just sitting out for your character to take (steal glass armor from ghost gate, steal master alchemy equipment, start pumping out potions, abuse potion stacking and mudcrab merchant, instant super-character). I honestly think the biggest reason many people who were big Morrowind fans feel turned off by Oblivion is the inability to easily create a godlike character from the start and tear through the game unchallenged. I know it was hard for me at first, but you quickly get used to the challenge and how to handle it. Going back to Morrowind is near impossible for me now (I still have it installed on my work laptop) because the combat is so broken and boring and the world is just so dead. I mean, it's stupid, but I like how when I walk by characters they congratulate me on being the Grand champion of the Arena or they address me as archmage, or they talk about the "rumors of a palace break-in", or stuff like that. It really just makes the game better all around.

I agree with you guys, and the fact that Oblivion feels like a living world that you have more of an impact on, really seperates it from the past ES games.

I'm actually not trying to stir the pot or get a huge debate going, because I love Daggerfall and Morrowind as well. I just think Oblivion manages to improve on them in so many ways and it just a better experience overall.

Nerevar

xabre said:
Yeah I like the different titles too.....'Hello Associate'.

It's ****ing great.

yeah, although I'm going to ****ing kill that battlemage at the entrance to the arcane university one of these days.

On another note, do items tagged as "quest items" ever lose that? I'm starting to get annoyed at my inventory filling up with random, undroppable "quest items" that just take up space, such as the "plan for the great heist" and hte "giant black soul gem". Why can't I drop them now that the quest is over? Very annoying.

Edit: Although, it certainly has been helpful in one instance. When I was doing the main quest, and
I went to the shrine of Mehrunes Dagon and those mythic dawn bitches took all my stuff, they couldn't take my quest items. So, despite everything else being gone, I still had Umbra :lol. It definitely made it much easier to take out all of them after I stole the book.

I don't think Quest Items ever get unflagged as such, unless the quest calls for it to be replaced with a new item,
such as what happened with the Blade of Woe at the end of the Dark Brotherhood Quest

bengraven

GhaleonEB said:
Hells yeah. Just last night I lost two corpses out of three in one battle. Damn grass. :(

Are you talking about that Mage's Guild quest
outside of Skingrad, with the three Necromancers? If so, I definitely know how you feel! I can't find one of the three and probably spent one in-game day to get the other two (Light spells FTW)

Corey407 said:

I don't neccessarily say that, though I loved Morrowind. Oblivion is >>>>>>> than Morrowind and I've loved TES for years. I do think they aimed more for casual gamers, but there's PLENTY there for us old schooler ESers.

Waffle said:
I have never used the quick travel function, though I have realized that the enviroments aren't nearly as varied as Morrowind, thus not really worth exploring :\. Quick travel just doesn't feel right. I think I am going to fire up Morrowind now.

You're kidding me, right? While there isn't as radical as a difference to your mind's eye, the world really is varied with different stones, trees, grasses, and bushes. Look at the areas around each major city; all are very, very different. Morrowind was brown rocks, green grass and sometimes lava or a swamp to change things up.

ElyrionX

Ok, I read an FAQ and inadvertently spoiled my next Mage Guild quest for myself. Apparently, the mages at Bruma gets wiped out in my next quest and so will all their spells that are for sale. So I check the buyable spells FAQ and see that one of the mages there has a Summon Dremora Lord spell that doesn't seem to be buyable anywhere else. Now, does anyone have any clue about this spell and whether it is buyable anywhere else? I'm not really into Conjuration but I would hate to lose that spell permanently. Is it possible to create that spell without buying it first?

Core407

Banned
Nerevar said:
what? Morrowind was a great game in its own right, but it's also 5 years old with a ton of problems of its own. I disagree with some of the design choices in Oblivion, but overall it's a vastly better game, in just about every respect. Just because Oblivion is more approachable doesn't make it any less of an elder scrolls game.

The issues I have is with the choices they made to make the game more approachable.

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
Are you talking about that Mage's Guild quest
outside of Skingrad, with the three Necromancers? If so, I definitely know how you feel! I can't find one of the three and probably spent one in-game day to get the other two (Light spells FTW)
holy crap that was the EXACT quest. :lol I found the
main guy from the castle but not his two companions.
I'm floored you got it from my descritpion.:lol

ElyrionX said:
Ok, I read an FAQ and inadvertently spoiled my next Mage Guild quest for myself. Apparently, the mages at Bruma gets wiped out in my next quest and so will all their spells that are for sale. So I check the buyable spells FAQ and see that one of the mages there has a Summon Dremora Lord spell that doesn't seem to be buyable anywhere else. Now, does anyone have any clue about this spell and whether it is buyable anywhere else? I'm not really into Conjuration but I would hate to lose that spell permanently. Is it possible to create that spell without buying it first?

Can't say for sure if that spell is found anywhere else in the game, but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to create it yourself at an Alter of Spellmaking.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to get the Dashboard update before you dropped your inventory?

Oh yeah, and the patch is out, for both PC and Xbox 360.
http://www.elderscrolls.com

Brannon

You know what the game needs? Dragon Armor. But you can't have Dragon Armor without Dragons, so you know what the game needs? Dragons.

Looks like you guys are gonna be making dragons after all, oh well get to work!

don't hurt me!

Top Bottom