• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Can't say for sure if that spell is found anywhere else in the game, but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to create it yourself at an Alter of Spellmaking.

You can't create it if you don't already have it, you need any specific summon spell to create a new spell with that same summon(Whether it has additional effects or just a longer duration).

raYne

DJ Brannon said:
You know what the game needs? Dragon Armor. But you can't have Dragon Armor without Dragons, so you know what the game needs? Dragons.

Looks like you guys are gonna be making dragons after all, oh well get to work!

don't hurt me!
Dragon Armor is already in the game...

SteveMeister said:
Oh yeah, and the patch is out, for both PC and Xbox 360.
http://www.elderscrolls.com
:O
I'll boot this up in an hour or so after I finish my current active downloads. Dashboard update FTW!

Quick question though. Do the Quest fixes fix stuff if it has already occurred? For example, my Siren's Quest is already bugged... does this allow me to complete it, or is that couple still screwed? :)lol)

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to get the Dashboard update before you dropped your inventory?

Oh yeah, and the patch is out, for both PC and Xbox 360.
http://www.elderscrolls.com
Nope, I didn't. I was taking the advice of some others a few pages back, it just took me a while to buy the house.

I'm going to head out and DL the update for Oblivion - and Live - now. Having the PC and 360 notes mixed together into one list is really confusing, though. Does the "performance tuning" section apply to 360 at all?

*Edit - looks like I'll just hold off on downloading both updates until tonight.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We have released patches for the English versions of Oblivion for PC. There is a North American patch and one for UK/Europe/Australia (English versions only) You can read the patch notes here and download the patches here. An update will also be available on Xbox Live today for Xbox 360 users (English version only).

F£CK F£CK

F£CK

F£CK F£CK

F£CK

F£CK

:(.

I hope that in many PAL countries people will not have to wait for many months before getting the patch.

I'll NEVER buy another The Elder Scrolls game localized again: I will import from whichever region compatible country which is receiving an english version of the game until the default version does not switch to some obscure ancient cuneiform language!

Wollan

In Till Death Do They Part, the Count no longer rewards player with gold more
than once. Fixed an issue with not receiving the Vampire Ashes topic if the
player picked up vampire ashes before getting the quest. Fixed issue where
Bloodgrass topic was not added if player finished the Main Quest before
starting quest. Hal-Liurz will now follow player properly when asked about the
cure.

So the vampire quest is cured now? Time to get back into the game I guess.

ShutEye

Woah, hold up. Does my Asian version of Oblivion get patched? I'm playing in English but I always just assumed there was also Chinese of some sort on the Disc.

And I might have glitched Imperial Corruption quest. Ah crap.

I tried to clear the cache again but dammit, it won't do it. You guys said to wait until the light on the controller goes solid, so I press A then and it still does nothing. But after it goes solid the first time, it blinks again when my profile gets signed into xbox live. do i wait after that one? load times are getting ridiculous on the game.

As soon as it boots up, hold A until the oblivion logo comes up. Don't just press it. You have to wait through all the company logos and stuff while holding A.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, it was definately tweaked, since it said it was released already when I left for work and now says tomorrow.

Steve - does the 360 patch include bug and quest fixes only, or are there performance tweaks?

Finally had a chance to go back to the Elder Scrolls site to check for sure, and yep, the page has been changed to indicate the patch would come tomorrow. Perhaps they wanted to wait until after the Dashboard update has gone out before sending out the Oblivion patch. By all indications, the Dashboard update is very nice. Can't wait to check it out when I get home.

snaildog

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The quests are far deeper, and better written then they were in Morrowind, although there were more overall quests in MW. However, many of them felt more generic, or were simple "FedEx" type quests. Oblivion has fewer overall quests, but they offer more variety, and some of them are very involved. For example: The Painter's Quest, The Collector's Questline, and The Dream World Quest are all great examples of how much better the quests are in Oblivion.
I would say that those three quests are actually the three best quests in the game, rather than examples for how much better the quests are ;) The DB ones were cool as well. I agree with you on most points though, no use in arguing. Both games have their strengths and flaws, but Oblivion's just bother me more.

I don't want to really get too involved in this debate, but the biggest problem with Morrowind is that it's totally broken, and you don't realize how much that can suck the fun out of the game until you play a game that isn't. It's ridiculously easy to (etc)
I'm sure you're right; I've never bothered to look into it or try it. I tend to just do what's natural for my character at the time rather than look at a guide and hone in on the game's weak points.

GhaleonEB

Okay, I'm doing the Collector Quest and need to find the book "The Cleansing of the Fane", but the bookshop in the capital city does not have it (First Edition). Anyone know where this book is?

Jonnyram

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I'm doing the Collector Quest and need to find the book "The Cleansing of the Fane", but the bookshop in the capital city does not have it (First Edition). Anyone know where this book is?
I think I just read that book last night! :D
Mystic Library next to the Arcane University if I'm not mistaken.

Finally met the Grey Fox last night. Did the first mission for him to the Temple of the Moths. Pretty cool stuff. The Blind Monks gave me a Thief: The Dark Project vibe. Can't wait to see what else he has in store for me. Need to fence more stolen stuff! :)

Wollan

So, has the X360 patch been released? I didn't see anything when I started the game up but maybe it's hidden? Guess not. C'mon, release it already.

Sometime today. I'm not having any real issues that I'm expecting it to fix, but if it makes the game more stable, and fixes some broken quests, then I'm all for it. Oblivion patch and Dashboard update all in the same week! What's next? The relese of Street Fighter on XBLA? :lol

ShutEye

OK ... help time ...

So I'm wondering around the Mouth of the Panther River (in relation to the Ghost quest) and I stumble across "Wisps"

They are these yellow clouds that fire nasty magic at me. I fired some flare's back but it didn't have much of an effect so I ran.

What the hell are these things, and how do I kill them (I'm lvl 10).

GhaleonEB

ShutEye said:
OK ... help time ...

So I'm wondering around the Mouth of the Panther River (in relation to the Ghost quest) and I stumble across "Wisps"

They are these yellow clouds that fire nasty magic at me. I fired some flare's back but it didn't have much of an effect so I ran.

They are Will-O-the-Wisps. Use melee. I *think* you need silver, enchanted or daedric weapons just like ghosts but I'm not sure. Oh, and if you have any shield spells, use them. Those guys are NASTY.

ShutEye said:
OK ... help time ...

Yep, they are the Willo-The-Whisps, and they can be quite nasty at times. Yes, you need to use magic or silver items against them or just cast spells. I generally take them down with a good fire spell fairly quicly. Also, if you can summon a creature, they make good shields! :)

Norse

Help time

i got kicked out of mages guild and now have to get 20 of each dragonthorn or some thing, and 20 redwort flowers....any of you guys seen these in the wild? Both are rare in stores so I only have about 6 each and have been looking forever.

chigiri said:
I'd imagine its the same stuff, minus any PC specific points.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a pretty safe bet that any quest/story items are the same across both. The ones that get a bit nebulous are the performance tuning items.

raYne

Norse said:
Help time

i got kicked out of mages guild and now have to get 20 of each dragonthorn or some thing, and 20 redwort flowers....any of you guys seen these in the wild? Both are rare in stores so I only have about 6 each and have been looking forever.
Redworts are all over northern Blackwood and Morahame. I'm guessing you mean Dragon's Tongue? Those are in West Weald, the southeast of Bravil, and just south of Bawn.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a pretty safe bet that any quest/story items are the same across both. The ones that get a bit nebulous are the performance tuning items.
And that is exactly what I want to know about. :p

C4Lukins

Ok just downloaded the 360 patch. Some strange things so far. The actual game seems to be running a ton better. The framerate is a lot smoother then it has been for me the past couple of weeks. There have been some problems though. The first time I left a building and the loading screen came up, it took about 3 minutes, which is triple the longest loading time I have ever had with the game. I figuired it had something to do with the game patching itself. Then I quick travelled, and the loading time was probably about a minute and a half, which again was longer then it ever has been. Then I entered into an oblivon gate, and the load time was perfectly fine. It would seem weird for the game to actually patch itself while you were playing, so I wonder what is going on. I'll mess around with it some more and see if I am still having problems.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I need to find a cave with will-o-the-wisps, becuase I need my personality reduced to do the daedric quest shrine. (I have 100 personality and I can't lower it anymore then 40 with wine and some more with damaging potions, but not enough!)

Anyone have a tip to lower personality?

GhaleonEB

Kobold said:
I need to find a cave with will-o-the-wisps, becuase I need my personality reduced to do the daedric quest shrine. (I have 100 personality and I can't lower it anymore then 40 with wine and some more with damaging potions, but not enough!)

Get drunk! Just buy a bunch of cheap wine and chug it down. Alcohol reduces your personality for a while.

Kobold

GhaleonEB said:
Get drunk! Just buy a bunch of cheap wine and chug it down. Alcohol reduces your personality for a while.

Kobold said:

:)

GhaleonEB

Kobold said:
heh, sorry I missed that part. :lol

There are some items I've found around that do things like improve intelligence with a personality penalty, such as gauntlets. They may be kind of random so if you have not found them it may be not an option. (I saw some with a personality penalty the other day.) Other than that I don't know of anything.

How did you get your personality so high? I'm still at 18 after 120 hours of play.

Kobold

GhaleonEB said:
heh, sorry I missed that part. :lol

There are some items I've found around that do things like improve intelligence with a personality penalty, such as gauntlets. They may be kind of random so if you have not found them it may be not an option. (I saw some with a personality penalty the other day.) Other than that I don't know of anything.

How did you get your personality so high? I'm still at 18 after 120 hours of play.

I played 120 hours also! :) Have everything maxed out to 100. (Attributes anyways. Not skills.) Level 35 or something!

Ya I guess I need an item of sorts.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kobold said:
I played 120 hours also! :) Have everything maxed out to 100. (Attributes anyways. Not skills.) Level 35 or something!

Ya I guess I need an item of sorts.

in order to do that I made two spells for myself. Don't know if you have access to the arcane university, but if you do, just make a "weakness to magicka, 100%" for like 5 seconds on self, then a "drain personality" with some very high value on self for 5 seconds. All you need is to drain it down to like 15 or so and talk to the head of the coven as well as the statue. Remember that any natural magicka resistances you have (through birthsigns or races) do reduce the damage y ou can do to your own attributes.

Kobold

Nerevar said:
in order to do that I made two spells for myself. Don't know if you have access to the arcane university, but if you do, just make a "weakness to magicka, 100%" for like 5 seconds on self, then a "drain personality" with some very high value on self for 5 seconds. All you need is to drain it down to like 15 or so and talk to the head of the coven as well as the statue. Remember that any natural magicka resistances you have (through birthsigns or races) do reduce the damage y ou can do to your own attributes.
AH, that sounds good. Didn't think of that, I didn't make a spell for myself yet, I suck at magic and I don't know if this is a possibility, but I'll try and do that! Thanks much! :)

I finished everything but the daedric shrine quests (2 left, I guess) and the main quest. Some odds and ends too I'm sure, but I finished all the guild/arena etc. quests.

GhaleonEB

Kobold said:
AH, that sounds good. Didn't think of that, I didn't make a spell for myself yet, I suck at magic and I don't know if this is a possibility, but I'll try and do that! Thanks much! :)

I finished everything but the daedric shrine quests (2 left, I guess) and the main quest. Some odds and ends too I'm sure, but I finished all the guild/arena etc. quests.
Just wondering - how much random exploration have you done? We've played the same amount of time, and I just completed the main quest, JUST jointed the thieve's guild, and am just now getting into the others. About 70 quests in, in total. But then half of my playtime has been clearing out random caves and ruins.

(have you done the Collector quest, BTW?)

Top Bottom