• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ok, a saw this posted in the Oblivion Sales thread, and I couldn't help but laugh. Not sure what's going on here, but someone has been harvesting a lot of watermelons! :lol

thismuch9ww.jpg
lol awesome! melons for the win!

GhaleonEB said:
So - anyone buying it? I'm definately tempted, for the first time, by this DLC. It all depends on how long it takes to do.

I'm waiting to hear how much content it adds before I decide. I know it's a huge dungeon, but are we talking an hour to get through it, or ten hours to get through it. I'll see how it reviews.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm waiting to hear how much content it adds before I decide. I know it's a huge dungeon, but are we talking an hour to get through it, or ten hours to get through it. I'll see how it reviews.
The problem is, if EVERYONE waits, no one will buy it. :lol

I'm home solo for the next few hours so it's really tempting...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How many times do I have to say it. It's a huge dungeon. There are a lot of NPCs in it. It is much, much bigger than any other dungeon in Oblivion. There's a plot, ties to Morrowind, people to talk to, loot to find, stuff happening that doesn't even involve your presence, and a few surprises. The level designers poured everything they had into it. If you thought Sideways Cave was cool, that's NOTHING compared to this. Oh, and the plug-in was called "Epic Dungeon" during development. Maybe people wouldn't be so skeptical if we'd kept that name; but the artifact does play a big role in the story so it makes sense.

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
How many times do I have to say it. It's a huge dungeon. There are a lot of NPCs in it. It is much, much bigger than any other dungeon in Oblivion. There's a plot, ties to Morrowind, people to talk to, loot to find, stuff happening that doesn't even involve your presence, and a few surprises. The level designers poured everything they had into it. If you thought Sideways Cave was cool, that's NOTHING compared to this. Oh, and the plug-in was called "Epic Dungeon" during development. Maybe people wouldn't be so skeptical if we'd kept that name; but the artifact does play a big role in the story so it makes sense.
So, two hours to play through? :p

I just hopped around the net looking for reviews. Everyone is waiting for Kung Fu Jedi to buy it and post impressions. Everyone.

SteveMeister said:

So....what are you saying? :D

GhaleonEB said:
I just hopped around the net looking for reviews. Everyone is waiting for Kung Fu Jedi to buy it and post impressions. Everyone.

:lol

metroid23

I'm buying it and I'll post impressions if none have been once I give it a shot tonight. I think what everyone is "waiting" for is to get off of work? :)

GhaleonEB

Okay, I just bought 1000 MS points from the 360 dashboard (the first points I've bough), and bought the DLC. I'll post impressions after I played though it.

Which had better be in a couple of hours. :)

bengraven

SteveMeister said:

These are the things that make me happy. That line "stuff happening that doesn't even involve your presence" makes me want to kick a kitten for a Live points card.

mikeGFG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I just bought 1000 MS points from the 360 dashboard (the first points I've bough), and bought the DLC. I'll post impressions after I played though it.

Which had better be in a couple of hours. :)
<3

I was really contemplating getting the DLC, I bought some extra points and everything. But I think I should finish the 20 or so quests in my active log first ;)

Yeah, I figure it out just a few minutes after I posted.

Anyway, I'm on my way down and so far what's really caught my attention is that there's
an entire village full of people
down here. And I've only just scratched the surface as far as I can tell. I'd say it's definitely better than any of the other add-ons.

Edit: Okay, it's DEFINITELY the best add-on so far. The Wizard's Tower was very useful, yes, but there's not really a whole lot to it. Also, I think I can safely say that if things continue as they as, this will be the one of the best dungeons in the game.

This is some really great stuff. Right now, I'm in an underground town full of soldiers that will likely try to kill me if I'm spotted, so I'm staying in the shadows. The town is pretty big too, there's at least two sections and both have about four houses. There's maybe 20 guys combined. Also, I found some amazing armor on an assassin being held in the local jail. So definitely kill him and take it. Also, I found some interesting items in one of the houses, including a spell that transmutes an item in your possession. I don't really know what it does yet, though.

I spent an hour just exploring the village near the entrance! I was taking it slow however, because I didn't feel like getting in a big battle with everyone.

GreekWolf

Here Be Dragons said:
A bit over 2 hours.

So this was on the damn disc and I paid to unlock it?!?!

Someone needs to start explaining that....
Thanks... I'm downloading it tonight!

And here's the answer to your other question -
Vark said:
Its definitely not already on the disc. Unless of course someone over in production has a time machine.

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
Have you fought one of the slave/workers yet?
Yup. I was VERY surprised to see what they were carrying. Though, I wanted to use it too. :(

I just beat it. Took about two hours even, and I explored pretty thoroughly. Though, the latter section has a lot of optional passages and I'm pretty sure I missed several of them despite the care I took.

What struck me about it was the dungeon design. This does NOT feel like any other dungeon in the game. The building design, use of bridges and paths, openness of the layout....it felt very new. I thought I was done at one point only to realize I was only halfway through. And it's not just one environment. There's at least three distinctive sections, all very, very large. A tremendous amount of thought went into it. I loved how the workers had stations, with tons of guards on patrol. I walked into a big battle at one point that went on for five minutes - I just watched from the sidelines and jumped in at the end.

A couple of the bosses were harder than any boss in the game.
Forgemaster, that bastard.
I actually died a few times.

Overall, it felt very original. I consider it worth the points. If you like dungeons AT ALL, you will love the place, big time.

Though Steve - I don't think there were enough torches in there. :p

Here Be Dragons

GhaleonEB said:
There was definately new stuff in there. Quite a bit, actually.

I was being facetious as the DL was so fast. I must have tapped into a T3 line then because it seems to me that all that was on the disc already by the speed of the DL.

840KB...

GhaleonEB

Great Rumbler said:
Hahaha! I hit him with a 5 second paralize arrow from the shadows and then got two more in him before he could get up and that was all it took. :)
Dammit! I had a seven second paralize poison I found in there and fogot all about. :lol
Here Be Dragons said:
I was being facetious as the DL was so fast. I must have tapped into a T3 line then because it seems to me that all that was on the disc already by the speed of the DL.

840KB...
Yeah, mine was wicked fast as well. :)

Twix

Oblivion Content: ‘Mehrunes’ Razor’

‘Mehrunes’ Razor’ for Oblivion is now available on the Xbox Live Marketplace. This premium content is 250 point and is available in the following Xbox Live regions: Canada, United States, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Finland, Great Britain, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan,Australia and New Zealand.

Here is a brief description of the content:

The lost Ayleid City Varsa Baalim has been unearthed by a rogue Telvanni arch-mage, in pursuit of a fearsome Daedric Artifact, Mehrunes Razor, which he believes will give him the power he needs to topple the Imperial reign - but what horrors lie in wait beneath the Valus mountains; and can you overcome them to claim Mehrunes Razor as your own?

Features:

* A fully-featured quest takes you deep into the fringes of the Niben.
* Earn the fearsome Mehrunes Razor, with the ability to kill foes instantly.
* 17 new magic items to discover!
* Conquer the largest dungeon in all Cyrodiil.
* Thwart a plot to overthrow Imperial rule in Tamriel.
* 12 new books, notes, and journals to help you unravel the mystery.

from major's blog.

Thanks for the impressions guys. Sounds like it's a lot of fun, but I was hoping for more than two hours of game play out of this. I may eventually grab it, but I have other things to do in the game for now.

Is the two hours for the quest only or is that to explore the entire dungeon?

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Thanks for the impressions guys. Sounds like it's a lot of fun, but I was hoping for more than two hours of game play out of this. I may eventually grab it, but I have other things to do in the game for now.

Is the two hours for the quest only or is that to explore the entire dungeon?
Beginning to end. Though, I'm pretty sure I missed a quite a bit. The place is H-U-G-E. For some reason, it makes me think of this comic:

20020111h.gif

Just swap the quest title for "Rez" and "hour" for "two hours". Good stuff.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Here Be Dragons said:
A bit over 2 hours.

So this was on the damn disc and I paid to unlock it?!?!

Someone needs to start explaining that....

Jesus Christ... IT WAS NOT ON THE DISK. It is a totally new dungeon, new dialogue, new quest, new NPCs, some new items, representing a couple months worth of work that was started WELL AFTER the game shipped.

Here Be Dragons

SteveMeister said:
Jesus Christ... IT WAS NOT ON THE DISK. It is a totally new dungeon, new dialogue, new quest, new NPCs, some new items, representing a couple months worth of work that was started WELL AFTER the game shipped.

Gotcha. You cannot understand that we would think otherwise since it's a 840kb DL?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Here Be Dragons said:
Gotcha. You cannot understand that we would think otherwise since it's a 840kb DL?

That the "skeleton" of a dungeon doesn't take up much space?

Here Be Dragons

SnakeXs said:
That the "skeleton" of a dungeon doesn't take up much space?

Voice acting doesn't either.....whatever. 840kb of the gods I guess. Look I'm not saying he's lying. Just that all of the "jesus christ" stuff is misplaced since the DL is so small.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Here Be Dragons said:
Voice acting doesn't either.....whatever. 840kb of the gods I guess. Look I'm not saying he's lying. Just that all of the "jesus christ" stuff is misplaced since the DL is so small.

The download is small because while there are a few new things, most of the art is already in the game. The dungeon is an assemblage of dozens of parts that already exists, just like all the other dungeons. It's like working with legos, basically. Oblivion's plug-in architecture lets you build up TONS of new content without requiring much space.

Vark

Here Be Dragons said:

It's just how our plugin system works. All of the 'data' for Oblivion (not art or voice related, but the actual game, layout of the world etc) takes up ~ 250megs.

If the plugin didn't add any new art the plugin will be even smaller.

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
The download is small because while there are a few new things, most of the art is already in the game. The dungeon is an assemblage of dozens of parts that already exists, just like all the other dungeons. It's like working with legos, basically. Oblivion's plug-in architecture lets you build up TONS of new content without requiring much space.
Ah, that makes sense.

It seems that the value/cost ratio is getting better for the DLC add-ons. That this massive dungeon/quest is only 50 points more than the horse armor is a bit comical, though. :p

Is this dungeon a sign of things to come?

Vark said:
It's just how our plugin system works. All of the 'data' for Oblivion (not art or voice related, but the actual game, layout of the world etc) takes up ~ 250megs.

If the plugin didn't add any new art the plugin will be even smaller.
Wow.

The plugin is awesome. I love the whole layout of the caves and ruins, it lets you play more like a Thief game than most dungeons. It really pays off to be sneaky too, otherwise you'll have a dozen guys on you at once. The interfaction fighting was another nice touch, and I appreciated just dealing with humanoids and not having to wade through daedra or other 'monsters'. Good job!

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
The plugin is awesome. I love the whole layout of the caves and ruins, it lets you play more like a Thief game than most dungeons. It really pays off to be sneaky too, otherwise you'll have a dozen guys on you at once. The interfaction fighting was another nice touch, and I appreciated just dealing with humanoids and not having to wade through daedra or other 'monsters'. Good job!
Though, I was hoping for new creatures, after the "what horrors may await within" tease on the quest notes. Horrors?
Vampires.
Woo. Hoo.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just completed the new DLC. I timed myself, it took me 2h26m from the time i walked in to the moment i swam out. Loved it! Best DLC so far, imo.

Loved the books/letters. In particular I loved the two apprentice letters, with one leaving a note for the Forgemaster telling him he had news on the other apprentice, who was saying disparaging things about the Forgemaster, and then the other apprentice's letter to his wife said that he and the other guy enjoyed joking about the Forgemaster. Very funny, and well written.

I also loved the recipt where the guy had spent something like 1500 gold to buy that rare Aelyid book, and then spent 15 gold to buy "The Lusty Argonian Maid" :lol .

Found 2 transmutation scrolls, that took a gold nugget i had in a my inventory and turned it into 50 gold coins. I still have one of the scrolls left.

I never found the assassin's note referred to in a letter you find, which seems to indicate it was dropped when the assassin was arrested or perhaps hidden in his cell. I looked all over and never found it, unless it is referring to the assassination orders, which are on the assassin himself. I let him out of his cell and he cloaked and ran off, only to later encounter him fighting one of the bosses. His armor is some of the best i've ever seen in the game. Definitely worth getting.

The architecture, although as mentioned reused texture-wise, was fantastic. I almost got dizzy from some of the rooms due to the slope of things. Very awesome design, kudos go to the level design peeps, for sure.

All in all, I loved it start to finish. Keep up the good work guys!

Top Bottom