• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

VanMardigan said:
Wow, setting the difficulty lower made all the difference in the world. I beat the Kvatch imps, beat another dungeon I was stuck in, got the walk on water boots, and now I'm headed back to the Imperial City sewers to continue the main quest from an area I was also stuck on.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the game. :D

Good to hear man! We're always looking to convert some new followers to the Cult of Oblivion! :) You're just getting started on what will probably be one of the most immersive and rewarding video game experiences you'll ever have.

Post any other questions you have here!

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Umm...no. I completely disagree. There are plenty of quests in the game. Plenty of things to see and do. How many hours have you put in to get to where you are at?

86 hours and I'm done with everything.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
I think I ended up with around 20. More than enough to find out that I didn't care enough to do the rest.
Yeah, I got to that point as well. They kept falling to my back burner. The loot was great, and I actually liked both the general design and the layout of the maps, for the most part. But after the first dozen I'd just seen everything there was to see. And when you get to the towers, they are all mostly the same. The last gate I closed (well, next to last) was an exact duplicate layout of another I had done shortly before, and that killed my interest in doing them the "normal" way. I just sprinted through to the Sigil stone, not fighting anyone.
Core407 said:
You're a speed demon, then. I'm 130 hours in and have "only" completed 110 quests. And just the fact that you are complaining about getting 86 hours out of an RPG is pretty funny.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Nerevar said:
you're really not going to have any luck getting it damaged by any monsters. Even if they did, it would be much less than whatever you could do to yourself, and wear off very quick. I think you're only route is to combine a "weakness to magicka" spell on your self with a "damage personality" on self (the "weakness to magicka" will serve as a multiplier for the "damage personality"), then drink wine as well. When you combine the two effects you should get low enough.

Edit: if you can't get access to any of those spells, may as well start doing mage's guild quests. You can make most of the spells at a level that works for your character in the arcane university when you get access.
You need master in destruction for those spells I need...

However, I may try the vampire route like someone suggested!

GreekWolf

Core407 said:
Wow, no kidding? In 86 hours you've uncovered 100% of the map, completed every questline, beaten every daedric lord's challenge and explored all 200+ dungeons?

My hat's off to you, then. You are truly a god among men. :)

Core407

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Wow, no kidding? In 86 hours you've uncovered 100% of the map, completed every questline, beaten every daedric lord's challenge and explored all 200+ dungeons?

My hat's off to you, then. You are truly a god among men. :)

I know, I'm good.

Maya

Core407 said:

But have you killed off every single person and creature?

I know a few can only go unconscious, and wolves and mountain lions respawn... but still, that would pretty bad ass.

gblues

Banned
Exactly how epic is this epic dungeon supposed to be? Are we talking about the ginormous-why-the-****-did-they-build-all-this-shit-underground-underneath-some-random-guy's-house dungeons from Daggerfall? Because if it's anything less than that, NO SALE.

I'm still pissed off that the top of the Wizard's Tower is ALWAYS STORMY. "Great view from the highest point in Cyrodil" my ass.

Nathan

GhaleonEB

gblues said:
Exactly how epic is this epic dungeon supposed to be? Are we talking about the ginormous-why-the-****-did-they-build-all-this-shit-underground-underneath-some-random-guy's-house dungeons from Daggerfall? Because if it's anything less than that, NO SALE.
It's supposed to be way larger than any other dungeon in the game. I'm hoping for a multiple of 3 or 4 that.

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It's supposed to be way larger than any other dungeon in the game. I'm hoping for a multiple of 3 or 4 that.

Will there be any NEW items in the latest update? I need new armor & weapons.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Core407 said:
Is the dungeon using old art assets or completely new ones?

Mehrunes' Razor - DLC9

* Available June 15

The lost Ayleid City Varsa Baalim has been unearthed by a rogue Telvanni arch-mage, in pursuit of a fearsome Daedric Artifact, Mehrunes Razor, which he believes will give him the power he needs to topple the Imperial reign - but what horrors lie in wait beneath the Valus mountains; and can you overcome them to claim Mehrunes Razor as your own?

$2.99

Features:

A fully-featured quest takes you deep into the fringes of the Niben.

Earn the fearsome Mehrunes Razor, with the ability to kill foes instantly.

17 new magic items to discover!

Conquer the largest dungeon in all Cyrodiil.

Thwart a plot to overthrow Imperial rule in Tamriel.

12 new books, notes, and journals to help you unravel the mystery.

Hidden treasures await!

TES4-MehrunesQ01.jpg

TES4-MehrunesQ02.jpg

TES4-MehrunesQ03.jpg

TES4-MehrunesQ04.jpg

TES4-MehrunesQ05.jpg

TES4-MehrunesQ06.jpg

JCBossman

Banned
I must be doing something wrong, i AM DOING THE BIG TOUR, of all the cities, and only have one left,(Leyawiin) so i can get into the Arcane Univerity, the Only quests I get are simple ones from the Mages guild so I can get a recommendations, and the ONLY fighter guild quest I got was the one to clear that mine of goblins, my fellow members all died( I say **** em, they should have been more careful) what do I need to do to get more quests? It it just me or is the range of melee weopons, WAY, WAY to far, I get hit (and hit) with a dudes sword when it appears he is standing 20 feet away, also can I levitate( i used to fly my way around Morrowind) and loved it, and is it just me, because I don't even BOTHER to loot anything other than unique Magical items, when you are a Master of Alchemy, you can make all the money you ever need, and I see No need to cart away 20 sets of glass armor? Also I am a High Elf and have weaknesses to the elements( I got a storm ring that protects me 100% from shock damage, but could use equivilents for fire and ice, do they exist?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
finished the main questline last night - awesomeness indeed. Still a strong urge to 1000 point this one.

Core407

Banned
Kobold said:
Mehrunes' Razor - DLC9

* Available June 15

The lost Ayleid City Varsa Baalim has been unearthed by a rogue Telvanni arch-mage, in pursuit of a fearsome Daedric Artifact, Mehrunes Razor, which he believes will give him the power he needs to topple the Imperial reign - but what horrors lie in wait beneath the Valus mountains; and can you overcome them to claim Mehrunes Razor as your own?

$2.99

Features:

A fully-featured quest takes you deep into the fringes of the Niben.

Earn the fearsome Mehrunes Razor, with the ability to kill foes instantly.

17 new magic items to discover!

Conquer the largest dungeon in all Cyrodiil.

Thwart a plot to overthrow Imperial rule in Tamriel.

12 new books, notes, and journals to help you unravel the mystery.

Hidden treasures await!

The pictures tell me they'll be using a mix of the two, which is sort of depressing. The completely new content looks it was taken out of some western and looks out of place and the reused parts are eh.

bengraven

Two weeks vacation from Oblivion isn't sitting too well. I know I'll absorb myself back into it and it will become my every waking moment's obsession, but I'm in the middle of a move (I move Friday morning) and I have to worry about other things. I keep playing games I can do in short bursts and not get too attached. A level of Halo here, a couple XBLA demos here, replay that Lost Planet demo, etc.

When I'm all moved in, I dig back in. And then I'll be kicking myself for not picking up that 1600 point card. EPIC DUNGEONS? Yes, please.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Post any other questions you have here!
Why are Glass Helmets so ugly? Great phalus symbol, but ugly nontheless.

Oh, and is the
Daedric Crescent
in the game as it was in Morrowind? I really loved that thing. Or is it merly mentioned in that "great artifacts of the world" book? :(

aaaaa0

gblues said:
I'm still pissed off that the top of the Wizard's Tower is ALWAYS STORMY. "Great view from the highest point in Cyrodil" my ass.

I don't know what happened, but it cleared up for me after the last patch.

About 25% of the time it's now clear at the top of Wizard's Tower, and the view is awesome, you can see clear across to the Imperial city. 0_o

Dr Zhivago said:
I closed 39 Oblivion gates. I felt it was my civic duty to do so. :)

Good Lord! That's impressive! I was getting mightly bored with them after the 15 or so that I closed. You certainly are...um...dedicated! :D

And Core407? You're complaining that you "only" got 85+ hours of play out of the game? I'd say that's pretty good value for your money. But considering many of us are over 100 hours, maybe you bought Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: Cliff Notes Edition or something. ;)

chigiri said:
Why are Glass Helmets so ugly? Great phalus symbol, but ugly nontheless.

The Bethesda art guys were locked up for months making all the assets for the game. They hadn't seen their significant others in a very long time. You can tell what was on their minds when they designed the Glass Helmets. :D

chigiri said:
Oh, and is the
Daedric Crescent
in the game as it was in Morrowind? I really loved that thing. Or is it merly mentioned in that "great artifacts of the world" book? :(

As far as I can tell, it isn't in. Either that, or it's well hidden.

Xdrive05

I need help on the "Spirits Have Lease" quest. I found
Velwin Benirius (however his name is spelled) in the Imp. City, and I have talked to him. But when I try to convince him to help me break the curse on the house, he keeps saying "I'm sorry, you bought the house, you deal with it" and such.

I've used enchantment on him to raise his disposition to 100, but that doesn't change his response. He keeps turning the offer down nomatter what I try. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Thanks. :)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Xdrive05 said:
Velwin Benirius (however his name is spelled) in the Imp. City, and I have talked to him. But when I try to convince him to help me break the curse on the house, he keeps saying "I'm sorry, you bought the house, you deal with it" and such.

I've used enchantment on him to raise his disposition to 100, but that doesn't change his response. He keeps turning the offer down nomatter what I try. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

You've got to bring the journal from the house to him, it's not enough to have read the journal and left it on the floor.

Xdrive05

Archaix said:
You've got to bring the journal from the house to him, it's not enough to have read the journal and left it on the floor.

DOH! This happened with one other quest too, where I read the book and didn't actually confiscate it.

GhaleonEB

Xdrive05 said:

I ran into this same issue. Here's how you do it:
First, you need to kill all the ghosts that are in the house (they'll respawn each day, but you need to clear it out once). If you do that you'll hear a crash and will find a broken vase downstairs with a hand and a journal in it. PICK BOTH OF THOSE UP. Velwin won't be convinced to come help unless the journal is in your inventory and he sees he's the only one that can help. I kept talking to him without the note and got the same loop you are in. Go back and pick it up, then talk to him again.

Edit: and in the time it took me to write that, the question was answered. :lol

I just finished up that quest as well, and you might as well grab both the diary and the skeleton hand, as you'll need them along the way.

Not a bad quest, and when you're done, you end up with a nice house on the cheap. :D

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I just finished up that quest as well, and you might as well grab both the diary and the skeleton hand, as you'll need them along the way.

Not a bad quest, and when you're done, you end up with a nice house on the cheap. :D

I had the hand when I talked to the bastard, but not the diary, and couldn't figure out how to slap him with it. I figured being poked in the eye by your dead grandpappy's hand would motivate him.

Nerevar said:

I think he was trying to say that there was not real download, but the Epic Dungeon was already on the Oblivion Disc, and the DLC just downloads an unlock key or something.

So, whose got it? How is it? We must know! :D

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I think he was trying to say that there was not real download, but the Epic Dungeon was already on the Oblivion Disc, and the DLC just downloads an unlock key or something.

So, whose got it? How is it? We must know! :D

Its definitely not already on the disc. Unless of course someone over in production has a time machine.

Which would actually be kind of cool. Then I could take the content I'm making now and send it to my past self who could put it in the game back before content was locked off and then it'd be done so my past-future other self could go on vacation.

Score!

Vark said:
Its definitely not already on the disc. Unless of course someone over in production has a time machine.

Which would actually be kind of cool. Then I could take the content I'm making now and send it to my past self who could put it in the game back before content was locked off and then it'd be done so my past-future other self could go on vacation.

Score!

Why don't you guys use the time machine to send an expansion back, or even better, the next version of Elder Scrolls! :) Oh, and while you're at it, you can add some books to the game that lists things like who wins the next 10 Superbowls/World Series, etc. and another one with "stock tips"! :D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
:*( Why oh why must I be cursed to work 8-5pm? Not only do I have to suffer through low-rez World Cup matches streamed to my PC instead of the glorious HD of my Hitachi Ultravision, I am also subjected to the cruel punishment of midday Oblivion DLC releases! Woe is me, I say.

Downloading it as soon as I get home...

Ok, a saw this posted in the Oblivion Sales thread, and I couldn't help but laugh. Not sure what's going on here, but someone has been harvesting a lot of watermelons! :lol

thismuch9ww.jpg

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ok, a saw this posted in the Oblivion Sales thread, and I couldn't help but laugh. Not sure what's going on here, but someone has been harvesting a lot of watermelons! :lol

thismuch9ww.jpg

Item dupe bug probably.

mikeGFG

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

thismuch9ww.jpg

:lol :lol

Top Bottom