• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Big Nate said:
Of all the current DLC, I would say the Wizard's Tower is a must own, with the Thieve's Den a close 2nd. Actually, the Thieve's Den is worth the purchase just to read the 4 part diary that comes with it. I guess I'm a Bethesda groupie, but if I end up spending $200 for Oblivion content over time, both in DLC and expansion terms, then I'll still count that as a bargin. Assuming that, I could have instead bought 3 other 360 games, but would they have given me nearly as much enjoyment or playtime. No, says I.

I feel the same way. I would actually spend some money if Bethesda collected the best user-made mods as well (with the owners permission, of course), and made them available via download for 360 users. Mods like illumination within (adds lights to the windows of houses at certain times of night) and the mod that changes the model of plants after you harvest them add a LOT to the atmosphere of the gameworld, and are definitely worth it.

I've been tempted a few times to get the Wizard's Tower mod, as it would probably serve as a fairly useful home base for my character, but then again, I already own two houses in the game, and I'm not sure I need another one. I'm not heavy into alchemy so the garden doesn't do me much good, and as Arch-Mage, I already have alters of enchantmen and spellmaking in the apartment.

The Thieve's Den sounds interesting as well, but when I heard that the quest was so short, I didn't bother with it. If I'm going to pay for new content, I want it to have more than an hour or two of playtime and add a lot to the game. The DLC so far haven't done that for me.

Now, the Epic Dungeon does sound like it will add a nice new quest, and a few other things, that it might be worth the few bucks for it. But then again, I also have plenty of side quests yet to do in the game, so we'll see.

I know microtransactions are the future, both MS and Sony agree on this, but for me personally, they need to add something meaningful to the game. For instance, I'm looking forward to the new GRAW maps that are set to come out in a few weeks, as they can be played over and over again, and extend the life of the game, while a short quest in Oblivion is over and not really re-playable.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think the dungeon sounds like the best DLC so far, but I'm not still not buying it just yet. I've put almost 60 hours into the game between two characters, without even starting the main quest. The game is just so massive, and there's still so much left for me to do, that downloading new stuff won't really make a difference for me, personally. If I ever get to the point where I get a bit bored, then sure, I'll think about buying it. I do see how it's more appealing for people who've put more time into the game than me, or just still can't get enough of it.

The only 360 DLC I've paid for to this point has been the PDZ maps. It's always been an okay online game, it just needed a bit more variety (six maps is not enough). I still don't see myself paying for much content in the future, though.

I finally joined the Dark Brotherhood. If I start doing dark brotherhood quests, will it keep me from doing any other quests like in the mages guild and stuff? I'm just hoping doing evil acts won't keep the guilds from accepting me.

raYne

AlanHemberger said:
I finally joined the Dark Brotherhood. If I start doing dark brotherhood quests, will it keep me from doing any other quests like in the mages guild and stuff? I'm just hoping doing evil acts won't keep the guilds from accepting me.
Nope, no quests affect the others in this game. Main reason why you can do everything in one playthrough.

What it will do however, is affect your fame/infamy ratio. So if you started the DB quests before doing anything else, you'll be seen as more evil than good in the eyes of the people. (not that that really matters anyway).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
raYne said:
Nope, no quests affect the others in this game. Main reason why you can do everything in one playthrough.

What it will do however, is affect your fame/infamy ratio. So if you started the DB quests before doing anything else, you'll be seen as more evil than good in the eyes of the people. (not that that really matters anyway).
Your renown (fame minus infamy) matters in some cases, you need a certain amount to be able to use church shrines I belive for example.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ElyrionX said:
I've railed against other GAFers for railing against people who ask inane questions but your question simply overwhelmed me.

I mean, COME ON, how hard would it be to explore the goddamn OPTIONS MENU a little bit before posting your question? If someone mentioned that the difficulty can be adjusted, OBVIOUSLY the difficulty can be adjusted.

I was at work when I asked that. I'm telling you, it takes a lot more work to be a jerk than to answer a question, no matter how stupid you think it is.

GhaleonEB

AlanHemberger said:
The fame/infamy thing won't affect you much, if at all. I usually have open quests from all four guilds at the same time - I'm kind of jumping around them now that I have the main quest wrapped up. The Dark Brotherhood is by FAR the most fun, so I save it for a bit of dessert. Very, very fun stuff. :D

Jonnyram

Been working my way up the Mages Guild and I the quests have been getting interesting. I loved the one at the Ayleid Ruins with the pillar that you have to cast magic on... some really nice environments in there, and my first taste of ghosts. I still haven't done anything major with other guilds though - I want to join Thieves and DB soon to give the game a little more variety.
"Go here, find mages who turned to necroes, kill them"
is starting to become a little predictable ;)

GhaleonEB

Holy mother of God is the Dark Brotherhood amazing. I just got through to the end of it, mostly. I'm not even going to put stuff in spoiler tags, it would ruin it for the curious. Needless to say I'm back in the Sanctuary after a brief time away from it. Those plot twists freaking rocked.

Dark Brotherhood >>>> Main Quest

So. Awesome. :D

GhaleonEB

Jonnyram said:
OK... who should I kill to get in? :)
Anyone. :)

I went into a random house in a settlement (house outside of town) and found one person there alone, whom I killed in one blow, from behind. In general I suggest someone without a weapon at their side. That usually implies they go down quick since they are not a fighter. If they don't survive more than a couple of blows, they can't call for help, or run. :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Where the **** can I find Redwort? I have like 15, and need a few more... I'm looking around eastern Panther river and I can't find shit, then again a new batch of them...

*grumbles*

GhaleonEB

Booted out of the Mage's Guild, eh? I spent 20 hours getting back in. :(

It's in the southeast, around some forts in big clusters. Head slightly northeast of Leyawiin and look RIGHT around the ruined forts in that area. I found one fort with over a dozen around it. If you are desperate, google it. I found a couple forum posts where people had made diagrams with map markers. (I got desperate.)

SnakeXs

Jonnyram said:
Don't you guys have savepoints so you can avoid that? Surely it's not fun doing that quest?

I've been getting overconfident. I barely ever manually save unless I'm quitting anymore, and thanks to the magic of INTSAKICK and it booting you the second you accidentally grab something, my last autosave was wonderfully overwritten.

Thanks Ghaleon, will check it out. So close, so I'm far from that 20 hours mark.. Maybe an hour searching, total, luckily I had the Dragon ones, since I'm a huge alchemist and pick up everything. :lol

GhaleonEB

Jonnyram said:
Don't you guys have savepoints so you can avoid that? Surely it's not fun doing that quest?
I play the game in a very non-linear way. I think what I stole was a horse, and I spent many, many hours doing other stuff before trying another Recomendation quest. So going back would have sucked big time. Though, possibly less than actually picking those goddamn flowers, in retrospect.

Worst. Quest. Ever.

Yay! GAF is back up and working again!

Jonnyram said:

I only have two or three saves at a given time, plus the Autosave. I rarely reload a save unless I completely screwed something up on accident. I like to make my choices and then stick with them when I play a game like Oblivion as it makes your actions and choices so much more meaningful.

That said, now that I've wrapped up the Main Quest and all the major questlines, I've gotten a bit cocky about saves too. I don't manually save nearly as often as I use to.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm just glad I can finally cackle along with you now.

Bastards. :lol

:lol Yeah, welcome to the club indeed! :D

And I agree with you that the Dark Brotherhood Quests are better than the Main Questline. It's sooo well written, has nice plot twists, and the missions are really fun and exciting. They felt very cohesive and in the end there was a nice payoff to everything. If the Fighter's and Mage's Guild Questlines had been this good, it would have made for a better starting point for me. They were solid, just not as consistently good, imho.

As for the Thieve's Guild quests, they were very good as well, nearly as good as the DB, but some bugs along the way made them especially frustrating at times. The final mission was nearly so bugged that I couldn't finish it, and I had to result to some very creative play to get through it.

SnakeXs

Yeah, i said it about 6 thousand posts ago, DB was amazing.

They need to get the man who wrote
the traitor/mother lover's
book/journal a raise. It was pure brilliance.

GhaleonEB

SnakeXs said:
Yeah, i said it about 6 thousand posts ago, DB was amazing.

They need to get the man who wrote
the traitor/mother lover's
book/journal a raise. It was pure brilliance.
Speaking of which, I've got
his mother's head in my inventory.
I think I'm going to decorate my house with it. :lol

SnakeXs

GhaleonEB said:

I did the same thing in my first game :lol

It's right up in a little mantle in my Bruma house, staring at me when I enter.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
GhaleonEB said:

:lol Mine's setting on my upstairs desk in my Skingrad house!

gblues

Banned
MaestroRyan said:
so i got into the very first epic battle thing for the very first oblivion gate, and my sword disappeared or something. So I get in there, full health and magicka (no potions or anything) and I'm Level 3 (equipped with Blackwater Blade and some armor?) and the scamps and that beasty ****er tear me apart! What can I do?

Um, repair your weapon?

Nathan

MaestroRyan said:
so i got into the very first epic battle thing for the very first oblivion gate, and my sword disappeared or something. So I get in there, full health and magicka (no potions or anything) and I'm Level 3 (equipped with Blackwater Blade and some armor?) and the scamps and that beasty ****er tear me apart! What can I do?

You may want to try using some of your other skills. Use a bow to attack from a distance, and get x3 damage from a sneak attack. Do you have any decent destruction spells that you can trow from a distance? Summon a skeleton to help you out?

What type of character do you have? Heavy fighter? Stealthy? Mage? Are you just rushing up to attack? Do you have any healing spells? Potions? If not, why not?

The list of things to do and try are endless. Get creative.

SonnyBoy

I usually do this...

Enchant my arrows with health poison until the monster finds me. If the monster figures out where I am, I'll cast a weakness to posion spell on him to make the arrows even more effectice. Just as its about to die, I whip out my mages staff enchanted with soul trap to power up my gems.

Rinse and repeat.

raYne

Big Nate said:
:lol Mine's setting on my upstairs desk in my Skingrad house!
Mine's on the table right after you open the front door of my Anvil house. I leave it there to give would be thieves something to think about heh.

The first thing I did with it when I found it was head down to the local bar, hit it with my telekinesis and let it float all over the place bugging customers and knocking their food/drinks over.

...:lol

I plan to have some fun with whatever upcoming download gives you access to taxidermy. Depending on how it's set up, I plan to leave some nice presents in random beds throughout Cyrodil.

BuG

Hey, I'm curious, when the camera is released will Oblivion be patched to allow your face to be mapped to your character? Major Nelson posted up something about using the PC demo version of the FaceGen software to get the slider values for your face but it'd be so much easier and so much nicer to just sit down, look pretty and have the game do it all for you.

Has anyone had any problems with items you drop disappearing altogether? It doesn't happen a lot to me, but it does happen regularly. Usually, this is how it works. I go to one of my houses and I want to set something on top of a shelf/desk or put it inside a display case. If I'm standing too close to the shelf/desk/display case when I drop it from my inventory, the item just disappears. Can't find it anywhere. If I'm back from the shelf/desk a few steps, it will fall on the floor, and I can pick it up with the left bumper and set it on top of the furniture. This happen to anyone else?

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Has anyone had any problems with items you drop disappearing altogether? It doesn't happen a lot to me, but it does happen regularly. Usually, this is how it works. I go to one of my houses and I want to set something on top of a shelf/desk or put it inside a display case. If I'm standing too close to the shelf/desk/display case when I drop it from my inventory, the item just disappears. Can't find it anywhere. If I'm back from the shelf/desk a few steps, it will fall on the floor, and I can pick it up with the left bumper and set it on top of the furniture. This happen to anyone else?
Nothing ever drops at your feet, they usually drop at least 3 feet in front of you... I'd say you should probably look behind the shelf/desk. :p

BuG said:
Hey, I'm curious, when the camera is released will Oblivion be patched to allow your face to be mapped to your character?
The "hooks" would have to be programmed into the game beforehand. Not gonna happen.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:

When I want to place stuff, I always just drop straight out of my inventory with the left bumper. I've seen lots of stuff disappear after killing someone because it falls through the floor / wall / whatever, and that's always really annoying. I'd imagine the same thing is what's happening when you're dropping some items. Dropping with the left bumper allows you to actually position something, so I find it much more useful overall.

raYne said:
Nothing ever drops at your feet, they usually drop at least 3 feet in front of you... I'd say you should probably look behind the shelf/desk. :p

Trust me, I have. It's not on the floor anywhere. And we're sometimes talking about large items, like shields and bows.

Nerevar: Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Didn't even know you could do that. I'm a 120 hours into the game and still learning new things. :)

GhaleonEB

Out of curiosity - how many Oblivion gates did you guys end up closing? I had wanted to do them all but
I didn't know they would all shut down when I beat the main quest. I was kind of bummed about that.
I ended up with 14 closed, and there were a whole lot more than that out there.

Core407

Banned
Can you guys give me suggestions on things to do after I beat the main story? I've done all the guilds and every single mission I can find that doesn't glitch out on me. Is exploring the entire game world the only thing left?

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Out of curiosity - how many Oblivion gates did you guys end up closing? I had wanted to do them all but
I didn't know they would all shut down when I beat the main quest. I was kind of bummed about that.

I think I closed 7 total and then I just got bored with it. I'm guessing there was a lot of unique items in each gate...

GhaleonEB said:

I closed about 14 or 15 of them myself. Now as I'm travelling about the game world in some remote areas, I'm coming to learn there were a lot more Oblivion gates than I first thought.

Core407 said:
Can you guys give me suggestions on things to do after I beat the main story? I've done all the guilds and every single mission I can find that doesn't glitch out on me. Is exploring the entire game world the only thing left?

If you've done the Main Quest, all the Guilds, and the majority of the side quests, then I'd say you only have exploration as the last thing left to do. Even that will get fairly repetitive after awhile, as many of the dungeons start too look the same after awhile.

Perhaps the new Epic Dungeon will spur some things for you to do for awhile. Or you can look for challenges elsewhere, like sneaking back into the Imperial Palace or the Prison. Get creative and come up with some challenges on your own, like slaying everyone in the Arcane University.

Aside from that, I guess you wait for an expansion.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
If you've done the Main Quest, all the Guilds, and the majority of the side quests, then I'd say you only have exploration as the last thing left to do. Even that will get fairly repetitive after awhile, as many of the dungeons start too look the same after awhile.

Perhaps the new Epic Dungeon will spur some things for you to do for awhile. Or you can look for challenges elsewhere, like sneaking back into the Imperial Palace or the Prison. Get creative and come up with some challenges on your own, like slaying everyone in the Arcane University.

They should have waited another year and thrown in more quests.

Core407 said:

Umm...no. I completely disagree. There are plenty of quests in the game. Plenty of things to see and do. How many hours have you put in to get to where you are at?

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I was going to suggest playing a different game. :p

I'm tempted by the epic dungeon quest since I'm a total sucker for dungeons. I still crave them, and I've done a LOT of'em. If it really is as large as Bethesda is making it out to be - we're talking several hours to explore and clear out - then I might spring for it. And be a total hypocrite since this is the kind of DLC I was saying I wasn't interested in a while back. But I didn't know they were going to do an uber-dungeon....

GhaleonEB said:
I was going to suggest playing a different game. :p

I'm tempted by the epic dungeon quest since I'm a total sucker for dungeons. I still crave them, and I've done a LOT of'em. If it really is as large as Bethesda is making it out to be - we're talking several hours to explore and clear out - then I might spring for it. And be a total hypocrite since this is the kind of DLC I was saying I wasn't interested in a while back. But I didn't know they were going to do an uber-dungeon....

Yeah, playing a different game is probably the best option if he's already exhausted everything else in the game. Me, love to explore the world, and try to do unique things on my own, so even if I had all the quests done, which I don't, I'd still find a few things to mess around with.

I'm going to wait for reviews and info on the Epic Dungeon from others after it comes out. If it truely adds something fun and a long quest, I may bite on it as well, and I've avoided all the DLC's so far.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Trust me, I have. It's not on the floor anywhere. And we're sometimes talking about large items, like shields and bows.
Well there's also the fact that items like falling through the floor texture, even large ones.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I closed about 14 or 15 of them myself. Now as I'm travelling about the game world in some remote areas, I'm coming to learn there were a lot more Oblivion gates than I first thought.
Yeah, I think there are around 66 or so total.. give or take a few...

I think I ended up with around 20. More than enough to find out that I didn't care enough to do the rest.

Core407 said:
Because?...

Actually, don't bother. "No" to that statement

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow, setting the difficulty lower made all the difference in the world. I beat the Kvatch imps, beat another dungeon I was stuck in, got the walk on water boots, and now I'm headed back to the Imperial City sewers to continue the main quest from an area I was also stuck on.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the game. :D

Top Bottom