• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Jugendstil said:
I really want this game ASAP, but I am loathe to resort to pre-ordering it at creepy Gamestop. Hopefully Best Buy or Virgin Mega will have it in stock on Tuesday.

I don't think they ever have the games in on release day.

Dr_Cogent said:

Sometimes I go around searching for a game on launch day to no avail. And then I go into the most random store (Like staples business depot) and they'll have it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dr_Cogent said:
Best Buy almost always does, they just put them on the shelf either later that night, or by opening the next morning. If you ask them to check and it shows as in-stock, they'll almost always go in back and get it for you.

The Best Buy near me had GRAW on day one, so I'm hoping it'll be the same with Oblivion. God forbid I have to wait a day to play it.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
eso76 said:
Mhh..i'll have friends of mine ask 2k games, but from what i heard, the italian version will have captions and text in italian, which should include books etc, while voices haven't been touched. No idea if they are going to leave english text on the dvd, i'll ask.
Booklet and instructions should be in italian too, but speaking of the booklet, several retailers told me 2k games representatives were very skeptical about CE availability...actually, a lot of retailers were told something along the lines of "yes it is possible to place an order for a few copies of the ce edition...but they won't arrive...".
: \ if that's the case, does anyone know if the regular edition includes a map like morrowind did ? maybe a smaller paper one ?

And yes, i've also heard other european versions are fully localized, including voices, but apparently it's not the case for italian.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_obliv_cediary.htm

That talks about localizations and what is included in each game. Not sure if anything has changed since then, but I doubt it.

jet1911

Jugendstil said:
The Best Buy near me had GRAW on day one, so I'm hoping it'll be the same with Oblivion. God forbid I have to wait a day to play it.

A day... my console just "explode" in my face this morning because of that stupid Xbox Live update. I'll have to wait at least two weeks before I get a new one from MS. :(

Ok seriously, is it the 20th yet?

Screenshots, Movies, and Previews oh fuck.

I thought I could handle the wait peacefully but I just can't take it anymore, I've been waiting for this ever since I first started playing Morrowing, much like my frothing demand for TES V will start once I start playing Oblivion.

I'm taking 3 days off from work next week just so I can have some time alone with my precious new Misstriss.

BRING IT ON.!

Wolffen

I think my wife is going to smack me if I mention this game again before it comes out. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it until Weds. night at the earliest, and I won't have any decent play time with it until probably the 27th when I'm home recovering from my endoscopy.

Btw, assuming I can jump in the queue early enough, I'll try and get today's trailer mirrored at my Google Page, since I'm sure they queues will max out very quick, like they did yesterday.

Gaaaah, I can't wait for this game. I'll probably play a thief/assasin like usual, but it's tempting to try something different.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
0007679971.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

RegularMK

God. Implementing ragdolls in this game was such a great idea. I'm defintely gonna be blasting badguys off cliffs with fireballs.

anybody see this picture yet?

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/Oblivion_Bild_des_Tages.JPG

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=457821

They say that a 3.8ghz P4 w/ 1 gig of ram and a 7800 GTX is recommended to play with full settings.. I can only assume that is the rig he is playing with in the picture, as it was paired with the article.. and you can see the "21" from FRAPs up in the corner..

he's playing at 1280x1024.. this seems to be the most accurate idea of performance we've received yet :)

Pimpbaa

Robobandit said:
They say that a 3.8ghz P4 w/ 1 gig of ram and a 7800 GTX is recommended to play with full settings.. I can only assume that is the rig he is playing with in the picture, as it was paired with the article.. and you can see the "21" from FRAPs up in the corner..

he's playing at 1280x1024.. this seems to be the most accurate idea of performance we've received yet :)

I hope the cpu was the limiting factor for them, sheesh. I wanna see some benches or impressions with a better gaming cpu, like a athlon 64 x2 or something.

Helznicht

I've been watching the bit with the two minotaur flailing in the air over and over again. It never gets old.

Oh Crap, you can enchant arrows with effects? Female Wood Elf Arcane Archer it is then. :D

Pimpbaa said:
I hope the cpu was the limiting factor for them, sheesh. I wanna see some benches or impressions with a better gaming cpu, like a athlon 64 x2 or something.

well, if someone will kindly send me a copy of the game today, I'll do some benchmarks on my X2 4400 and 7800 GTX :lol

SnakeXs

Helznicht said:
Oh Crap, you can enchant arrows with effects? Female Wood Elf Arcane Archer it is then. :D

According to Steve, there's lots of options for Archers.

You can have an enchanted bow, which applies it's magic to the arrows you fire, you can poison arrows (which stack with a bow enchantment, I believe), and you can also buy pre-enchanted arrows (Which I believe negates your bows enchantment, so you can't have 2 enchantments at once).

5 days... 5, long, horrible, painful days.

Wolffen

Wolffen said:
Btw, assuming I can jump in the queue early enough, I'll try and get today's trailer mirrored at my Google Page, since I'm sure they queues will max out very quick, like they did yesterday.

Hopefully everyone is getting the file ok elsewhere (seem that way). Apparently Google-Pages will only let you upload files that are 10MB or smaller.

Pimpbaa

Robobandit said:
well, if someone will kindly send me a copy of the game today, I'll do some benchmarks on my X2 4400 and 7800 GTX :lol

Someone at Bethesda give him a copy! :lol I remember reading something about Oblivion taking advantage of dual core cpus on GAF, but I can't find it anymore.

Jesus christ, the soundtrack of this game is fuckin-incredible.
I almost cried during "king and Country". The prospect of galloping on my horse in an open field, while this music plays...fu**

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Jesus christ, the soundtrack of this game is fuckin-incredible.
I almost cried during "king and Country". The prospect of galloping on my horse in an open field, while this music plays...fu**

King and Country is my current favorite as well...

The composition is amazing, if not a little uninspiring in places. Some of the tracks though, SUCH as that amazing piece, could stand perfectly in a movie.

Question: i don't have an h.d. for the 360(yes i am one of the retards).
Does the game use the hard drive, and will it diminish my game experience, not having one?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Does the game use the hard drive, and will it diminish my game experience, not having one?

It has been said that the HD will reudce load times, so yes it will have some effect.

The composition is amazing, if not a little uninspiring in places. Some of the tracks though, SUCH as that amazing piece, could stand perfectly in a movie.

It uses ithe HDD for loadtimes and saving. Your loadtimes will be significantly longer without one.

SnakeXs

I would prefer a more positive response.
Don't cry wallet..please, dont cry..

Ok, the HDD does absolutely nothing, your loading won't be affected at all, and you were smart for getting the Retard Pack.*

*All of this is a lie.

That's what you wanted, right?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Robobandit said:
anybody see this picture yet?

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/Oblivion_Bild_des_Tages.JPG

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=457821

16.03.2006 11:25 o'clock - the impressing diagram of Oblivion to hit a corner since Monday not only our play experts but the entire PG Games hardware crew. Still no game of roles looked so realistic. After a first technical analysis however the initial euphoria put, because the opulente optics demands its tribute. We rarely tested a play with such high hardware requirements: For all details in a dissolution of 1.280x1.024 the player needs a High end system with mindesten 3.8 GHz, a GByte RAM and a Geforce 7800 GTX.

Many current play PCS will probably not be able to withstand this hardware hunger, so that the fans of the title must rig or tunen their system. Which they should consider thereby and which the ideal hardware are, over it we will inform you in our Tuning Special in the next expenditure.

Translated Text from translate.google.com

I liked the "hardware hunger" term in there. LOL!

360 version for me!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dammit. Tuesday can't come quick enough. These game releases are making time slow down I swear. The wait for GRAW was grueling, and now this.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Dr_Cogent said:
Dammit. Tuesday can't come quick enough. These game releases are making time slow down I swear. The wait for GRAW was grueling, and now this.

I agree wholeheartedly. Oblivion is more painful than GRAW was for me. I REALLY want something epic to play on my X360 that is not a gun or sports based game. Kameo did it for about a month and a half.

newsguy

Ok ES enthusiasts, I come asking a $60 question. Just reading this thread has brought me much closer to understanding what the series is about, plus I read though much of the faqs. I see comments like the one Stinkles made and I'm afraid of making a mistake in purchasing this. I don't like RPG's, but it's not so simple. The only RPG's I have experienced are turn based bore-fests which quite honestly are my least favorite genre. Now, this comes along and has more action and is all done in realtime, so it looks fun, but the issue becomes traditional RPG stuff that I just don't know. People who know these games understand point distribution, potion mixing, and it doesn't bore them to death. Is this a game where I need to worry about the things that make it an RPG or can I just play it without worrying about the wrist-slashing number-crunching aspects?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
newsguy said:
Ok ES enthusiasts, I come asking a $60 question. Just reading this thread has brought me much closer to understanding what the series is about, plus I read though much of the faqs. I see comments like the one Stinkles made and I'm afraid of making a mistake in purchasing this. I don't like RPG's, but it's not so simple. The only RPG's I have experienced are turn based bore-fests which quite honestly are my least favorite genre. Now, this comes along and has more action and is all done in realtime, so it looks fun, but the issue becomes traditional RPG stuff that I just don't know. People who know these games understand point distribution, potion mixing, and it doesn't bore them to death. Is this a game where I need to worry about the things that make it an RPG or can I just play it without worrying about the wrist-slashing number-crunching aspects?

assuming oblivion is like morrowind (which in this aspect, its a sure bet), you can play the game as you see fit. you never have to worry about stats and leveling up, but some of the classes may require a lot of tedious stuff. dont be an alchemist and you never have to worry about collecting random herbs and shit for potions. be some sort of warrior and weild a blade.

the thing thats so great about the series is you play it completely as you see fit. its kind of like GTA in that regard. i played for countless hours in morrowind and never played the main quest. theres so much to see and do.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
newsguy said:
If you want to be better at swords keep swinging them, if you want to better at magic keep casting it, if you want to be better at potion mixing keep mixing ingredients. This game doesn't bore you to death with needless character optimization, the better you want to be at something the more you'll need to train in it. However when you level up you'll have to assign a few points to your main stats, which is a simple and swift process, but if you don’t wish to deal with that you can just auto assign them.

You have a ridiculous amount of options and you can make the game as detailed or simple as you see fit. Don't want to put up with making potions to heal your character and save a couple bucks? Then just buy healing potions and be done with it. However if you're into that sort of stuff there's an indepth process to creating potions and you can even improve stats by doing so which also allows you to create even more powerful potions.

Krowley

newsguy said:

If it's like the other elder scrolls games, it's really hard to ignore the number crunching... i guess you could, but it would make the game overly difficult. It's the kind of series where i often find myself restarting a lot in order to better create my first character... a lot of false starts, which i don't mind, but you may not enjoy it... It would probably be best to start out with a standard warrior because it is pretty easy to see which race and skills will be most usefull for that class, and it will make the gameplay more straightforward.

the real time gameplay from the first person does give you a level of intensety that isn't common in rpg's.

edit// i see some above disagree.... it is possible i am overestimating it. I have a friend who is a non rpg fan and while he loves the series certain things about it put him off.. especially the open nature of the game and the massive scope... also he hates even minor character customisation and finds it distracting.... The main decisions about your character are made at creation, you don't have to think about it all that much, but if your a tweaker you can't help but notice your characters weaknesses in certain areas, and it will make you want to restart several times until you are comfortable.

newsguy

Thanks for the info guys. I do like the GTA aspect where the world is open and I can do my own thing. Krowley, can you tell me specifically what you mean by this?

Krowley said:
If it's like the other elder scrolls games, it's really hard to ignore the number crunching... i guess you could, but it would make the game overly difficult.

So say I create the character and distribute his points accordingly, (I have some experience from the Fight Night games lol) what stuff do I need to worry about after the fact. Basically, why would you have these false starts?

edit: crap I posted this before seeing your edit, I see what you mean.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
basically customize it as much or as little as you want. there are a ton of options, so for anal power gamers - not having the leet character bothers them, so they restart - like a MMO. However, if you don't care about shit like that, you can play and get by just fine, this game does not require a leet character to play and enjoy.

Top Bottom