• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Unison

The graphics are so amazing. I hope the dungeons themselves (especially the ones not tied into the main story) are as detailed as the other stuff we've seen.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Holy shit...

I think this surpasses the first vid.

It shows some shots of a town, which, due to how sexy it is, I shall dub it "Sextown".

I said wow.

For the graphics whores: Near the end (22 seconds) he walks under a tree, and clips through a branch and leaves. NOT NEXT GEN!*

*More sarcasm that can be contained in the entire Oblivion world.

Unison

Has there been any word on when review embargos are up? Can we expect reviews tonight or tomorrow or will we have to wait until Monday?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
SnakeXs said:
Holy shit...

I think this surpasses the first vid.

It shows some shots of a town, which, due to how sexy it is, I shall dub it "Sextown".

I said wow.

For the graphics whores: Near the end (22 seconds) he walks under a tree, and clips through a branch and leaves. NOT NEXT GEN!*

Well, I guess you could take the name "Skingrad" in such a way that "Sextown" might be implied :)

And yeah, we don't do collision with smaller plants & tree branches -- just the trunks. It ends up being a real pain in the butt getting around if you give stuff like that collision -- not to mention slowing the game down.

SteveMeister said:
Well, I guess you could take the name "Skingrad" in such a way that "Sextown" might be implied :)

And yeah, we don't do collision with smaller plants & tree branches -- just the trunks. It ends up being a real pain in the butt getting around if you give stuff like that collision -- not to mention slowing the game down.

Do you know when the review embargo goes up, Steve? :D

to all of you not living in the US, i really envy you. you only have to wait 5 or so days until you get your game.

imagine this scenario. you're sitting at your home playing GTA: SA on your comp, when all of a sudden the game freezes and the image distorts. you go to restart and the image right at boot up is distorted and windows won't start. now imagine the horror and pain as you call up your video card company for tech support and they say that you're going to have to ship them the card so they can look at it, because it sounds fried.

the card won't arrive until monday. then they take 7-10 days to look at it. then they have to ship it back. all the time Oblivion will be sitting on your desk, waiting, begging and mocking.

feel my pain. it's all too real.

SnakeXs

SteveMeister said:

Viva la Sextown!

The wait hurts, Steve. It really does. A lot.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Vyse The Legend said:
Do you know when the review embargo goes up, Steve? :D

I have no idea. I don't even know that there is an embargo to begin with. Several magazines with reviews have already reached subscribers. But I'm not even remotely connected to any of that sort of thing, so I wouldn't know anyway :)

Burger

neuroticphil said:
the card won't arrive until monday. then they take 7-10 days to look at it. then they have to ship it back. all the time Oblivion will be sitting on your desk, waiting, begging and mocking.

feel my pain. it's all too real.

Damn that really sucks. I feel your pain.

Unison

I guess the plus side of not knowing when reviews will drop is knowing that I will buy the game regardless of any reviews. :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I will buy the guide for this after work and I NEVER buy guides. That is how much my hunger for this game is manipulating me.

syllogism

SnakeXs said:
Care to go on?

Maybe judging by your own personal expectations it is, but the facts are the facts.

Each NPC has his own agenda. Each NPC has requirements that they fulfill, each differently based on their personality. The world goes on without you. Thieves steal, guards persue, people talk.

Is it perfect? No. We already know NPCs don't know if you've talked to them 100 times or never before, and some of the conversations they have, which is done in a manner never done before in a game, can be a little awkward. But how does that turn into 90% hype?

Like it or not, it's a huge leap for AI, and a larger leap for creating a living, breathing world.

Based on the reviews and previews I've read the AI isn't nearly as revolutionary as the PR (which you are trumpeting) talk has made some of us believe. We'll see in a few days, so it's pretty pointless to argue at this point, but there is no way this is a "huge leap". Mind you, I'm probably one of the biggest Elder Scrolls fans on these boards.

edit: "facts are facts" hilariously stupid

SnakeXs

syllogism said:
Based on the reviews and previews I've read the AI isn't nearly as revolutionary as the PR (which you are trumpeting) talk has made some of us believe. We'll see in a few days, so it's pretty pointless to argue at this point, but there is no way this is a "huge leap". Mind you, I'm probably one of the biggest Elder Scrolls fans on these boards.

The one review out simply said that AI doesn't recognize if you're a new face, and if you've talked to them a thousand times over, and that when AI converse (again, pretty much a first, period) it can sound a bit disjointed and "off". I don't see how that's saying it's all hype at all. Like I said, all the facts remain, and if that all isn't a "huge leap" to you, then you're simply hard to please.

Unison

I'd buy the hintbook, but GameStop (Where i reserved the game) gives a discount if you buy the guide when you buy the game.

I really don't mind if the AI is Morrowind-level... I fully expect it to do a lot of retarded things. :lol

syllogism

SnakeXs said:
The one review out simply said that AI doesn't recognize if you're a new face, and if you've talked to them a thousand times over, and that when AI converse (again, pretty much a first, period) it can sound a bit disjointed and "off". I don't see how that's saying it's all hype at all. Like I said, all the facts remain, and if that all isn't a "huge leap" to you, then you're simply hard to please.

What facts? Have you played the game? You sound like a PR guy for Bethesda

DenogginizerOS

Unison said:
I'd buy the hintbook, but GameStop (Where i reserved the game) gives a discount if you buy the guide when you buy the game.

I really don't mind if the AI is Morrowind-level... I fully expect it to do a lot of retarded things. :lol

Just called my Gamestop. He told me because I have a reserve, he will give me the 20% discount NOW.

SnakeXs

syllogism said:
What facts? Have you played the game? You sound like a PR guy for Bethesda

The facts that every preview and review out has talked about? On top of what Bethesda has said this whole time? Did I mention the tons of hands-on game impressions and previews?

Pimpbaa

Disjointed conversations and not recognizing me doesn't really bother me. I just like the fact that they do their daily thing (have goals) and not just stand there day and night and say "outlander" every time I walk by them.

syllogism

SnakeXs said:
The facts that every preview and review out has talked about? On top of what Bethesda has said this whole time? Did I mention the tons of hands-on game impressions and previews?

I mentioned them first actually and I can't really agree (well, the usual PR and hype is there in some review of course). I believe many npcs have things they'll do daily and engage in conversations. That's all great, but Bethesda's track record on these things makes me skeptical about some other claims, such as npcs having "agendas". Thieves getting spawned during night and being chased by guards sounds plausible; perhaps they don't even have to be spawned if they just get chased for a short while and get away.

edit: perhaps I will get happily surprised next tuesday, but as you can see, I'll believe when I see it

SnakeXs

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The new video looks nice, but my god! The blue and green blobs in the distance! ;)

Damnit! I knew I had forgotten something in my post! Blobs of blue and green, oh my!

SnakeXs

syllogism said:
I mentioned them first actually and I can't really agree (well, the usual PR and hype is there in some review of course). I believe many npcs have things they'll do daily and engage in conversations. That's all great, but Bethesda's track record on these things makes me skeptical about some other claims, such as npcs having "agendas". Thieves getting spawned during night and being chased by guards sounds plausible; perhaps they don't even have to be spawned if they just get chased for a short while and get away.

edit: perhaps I will get happily surprised next tuesday, but as you can see, I'll believe when I see it

1) Not gonna ask you to clarify that one, but if anything Bethesda is one of the least hyperbole-powered groups around, to me. They could be vague and say "tons of varied weapons, both ranged and melee", but they say llisten, there's this, this, and not this and that (crossbows and spears).

2) :lol

3)I'm sure, and I hope, that you will be.

DenogginizerOS

Pimpbaa said:
Disjointed conversations and not recognizing me doesn't really bother me. I just like the fact that they do their daily thing (have goals) and not just stand there day and night and say "outlander" every time I walk by them.

I LOL'd. I could not agree more, BTW.

One of the reviews/previews mentioned that the person playing was wandering the countryside when they came across an NPC being chased by guards. When they jumped in to help, the guard yelled "No me you idiot! Him!" and the character then helped them take down the thief. I doubt that was scripted or "spawned" but it could have been. More likely it's a result of Radiant AI in action.

syllogism said:

So... you don't believe that it will have something that you already believe will be in there? *insert Phoenix Wright contradiction picture*

Also, thieves just randomly spawning is not how it happens. That's too close to scripted events. There will simply just be mischievous characters in the world. Using the TES construction kit, you can make NPCs with all different types of goals, ie. get drunk then stab the nearest person.

DenogginizerOS

Vyse The Legend said:
So... you don't believe that it will have something that you already believe will be in there? *insert Phoenix Wright contradiction picture*

Also, thieves just randomly spawning is not how it happens. That's too close to scripted events. There will simply just be mischievous characters in the world. Using the TES construction kit, you can make NPCs with all different types of goals, ie. get drunk then stab the nearest person.

This is the one thing that is making me wish my PC could handle this game as well as X360.

syllogism

Vyse The Legend said:

Majority of the things NPCs do are scripted (this is of course only my guess since I've not actually played the game). They won't always do exactly the same things every day and the depending on how complex the scripts are and how numerous the npcs with these are, the world could be very believable. However to call this an AI revolution is pushing it. Sure, the work put into this is huge and seems much improved over Morrowind (which had hardly any) and very likely the npcs are more believable than in any games of this genre.

I hope NPCs won't wander into the houses you own and steal things :( PC gamer uk review mentioned they occasionally steal things right in front of everyone.

Vark

DenogginizerOS said:
I will buy the guide for this after work and I NEVER buy guides. That is how much my hunger for this game is manipulating me.

You and everyone else. Our guide is #65 on amazons top 100 book list o_O

i'm not sure a strat guide has ever done that.

I almost got the guide today.. then I picked it up.. it felt like it was made out of phonebook paper or newsprint.. much lower quality than what I was expecting :(

The content might be great, but the presentation of the book isn't worth $20 imho

SnakeXs

Vark said:
You and everyone else. Our guide is #65 on amazons top 100 book list o_O

i'm not sure a strat guide has ever done that.

Well, uh, congrats guys, I guess. :lol

A sign of good things to come for Oblivion? I hope so. :D

DenogginizerOS

Robobandit said:
I almost got the guide today.. then I picked it up.. it felt like it was made out of phonebook paper or newsprint.. much lower quality than what I was expecting :(

The content might be great, but the presentation of the book isn't worth $20 imho

Wait. Did Brady or Prima do this? If Prima did it....ruh roh.

syllogism said:
Majority of the things NPCs do are scripted (this is of course only my guess since I've not actually played the game). They won't always do exactly the same things every day and the depending on how complex the scripts are and how numerous the npcs with these are, the world could be very believable. However to call this an AI revolution is pushing it. Sure, the work put into this is huge and seems much improved over Morrowind (which had hardly any).

I hope NPCs won't wander into the houses you own and steal things :( PC gamer uk review mentioned they occasionally steal things right in front of everyone.

No one called it an AI revolution, but it is a major step in evolution. The NPCs have a list of tasks for them to do, but they can do it any way they want. For example, one could say get a drink of water at noon. Where and how they get the water is no scripted. key just go do it. And again, you just said it... they ocassionally steal. That's not scripted at all. It's just some NPC with bad habits. :D

NPCs will not rob your home. They limited the RAI and flagged your house as a safe zone. However, user made NPCs will probably do it. :D

DenogginizerOS said:
Wait. Did Brady or Prima do this? If Prima did it....ruh roh.

It is a Prima guide.

The page layout, the content I could see and the design looked nice, but the paper felt like crap.

I'm hoping that the Pocket Guide to Tamriel in the Collector's Edition package is of a much higher quality construction.

neptunes

Sorry if asked earilier, but is there any overscan issues with this game?

I might be playing it on a widescreen monitor via. VGA cable, what can I do to cope?

DenogginizerOS said:
This is the one thing that is making me wish my PC could handle this game as well as X360.
Well at least you have the ability to steal my thoughts.

As for the AI I'm expecting a bunch of hilarityensuing bugs. There's bound to be oddities occuring sooner or later.

Crow

Ouch, the frame rate on the 'Four days remaining' preview gets pretty jolty at some points. Was that the Xbox or PC version?

SnakeXs

Crow said:
Ouch, the frame rate on the 'Four days remaining' preview gets pretty jolty at some points. Was that the Xbox or PC version?

mat-onos-morannasskivaderodbetor-570g.jpg

Top Bottom