• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

qcf x2

RegularMK said:
It's the next entry in one of the most non-linear RPG series to exist. Its epic. Its beautiful. Its got an amazing score. Its incredibly immersive. You can customize your character in so many ways. Skills, appearance, armor, spells, abilities. Its got an explorable landmass of 16 square miles (not including dungeons), its got the most complex AI architecture out there for NPCs that interact with each other and evolve to the world you're changing.

Simply put- its the next step in gaming. After this game comes out, other games better be following its lead.

So, is there a legit story, with an ending? Or is it just build yourself up, fight as long as you want, stop playing when you get bored?

Geoff9920

qcf x2 said:
So, is there a legit story, with an ending? Or is it just build yourself up, fight as long as you want, stop playing when you get bored?
The answer to that question is Yes. It's actually both those things.

RegularMK

There's a deep, involved main storyline, as well as tons of sidequests and little things you can do to pass your time.

(You can either spend a typical RPG length playing, sticking to the main story, or you can immersive yourself in hundred of hours with the millions of things to do)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
qcf x2 said:

It has a main quest you can follow, or choose not to follow.

The game doesn't ever really "end" though the story will eventually come to a conclution after 25 or so hours. However the game has enough side quests to last you 200+ hours (which is probabaly the reason why it never "ends")

qcf x2 said:

Legit epic story.

The Emperor Uriel Septim has been assassinated, and consequently the gates of Oblivion have opened. Floods of demons have raided Cyrodiil (the place where the game takes place) and the only way to stop it is to find the Emperor's lost son and place him on the throne.

qcf x2

That sounds kinda fun, I like the whole medieval thing (big LotR movie fan), and I could use a game that lasts long.

The 20th you say? Looks like my 2nd 360 purchase.

Chony

I wish I could pick it up on the 20th, as I am on spring break, but will be leaving the 23rd to go to Vancouver BC.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Bearillusion said:
Whoops. Didn't notice this topic. Anyway how certain is a PS3 version now that the PS3 HD will be used for games?

Up until they announce anything, I would guess 0.00%

Sysgen

What a badass pic.

What really intrigues me is what am I looking at (don't tell me). Is one of the combatants a companion that is helping me in battle? Have I stumbled onto a conflict of some sort and if so what is the story behind it. Are they plotting against me? So many questions and I don't want any answers.

649_0001.jpg

Woah. I'm going on a trip the day this comes out. I hope i'll be able to get my hands on a collector's edition after that. :(

Harmonica

6.8 said:
Woah. I'm going on a trip the day this comes out. I hope i'll be able to get my hands on a collector's edition after that. :(

I really hope the game comes in Monday, because I leave for 3 days on Tuesday. I'd love to be able to play the game for a night, then check out that 112 page booklet that comes with the collector's edition while I'm gone.

If it comes Tuesday, then I am cry :(

GreekWolf

Sysgen said:
What a badass pic.

What really intrigues me is what am I looking at (don't tell me). Is one of the combatants a companion that is helping me in battle? Have I stumbled onto a conflict of some sort and if so what is the story behind it. Are they plotting against me? So many questions and I don't want any answers.
One of the many great aspects of this game, is that you really are inhabiting a living, breathing fantasy world. The NPCs are completely independent from your actions, and make their own decisions about they want to do that particular day ( eat, drink, shop, sleep, fight, play, chat, work, flirt, etc. ) without your interaction at all.

It was already mentioned in this thread, but in one of GamingSteves' podcasts, he described an experience where he walked out of a dungeon and encountered an imperial guard chasing a thief. The thief was quick on his toes, and dancing around the poor guard, poking fun of him. Steve emphasized that none of this had been prescripted by Bethseda. It was just a sample of the Radiant AI at work. While Steve had been dungeon crawling, the NPCs in the game world continued to do their own thing. A thief had stolen something from one of the towns, and one of the guards had chased him all the way through the woods and up to the dungeon entrance. If you played the game a hundred more times, chances are you'd never see that scenario happen again. That's why Oblivion will be revolutionary.

Harmonica

GreekWolf said:
One of the many great aspects of this game, is that you really are inhabiting a living, breathing fantasy world. The NPCs are completely independent from your actions, and make their own decisions about they want to do that particular day ( eat, drink, shop, sleep, fight, play, chat, work, flirt, etc. ) without your interaction at all.

It was already mentioned in this thread, but in one of GamingSteves' podcasts, he described an experience where he walked out of a dungeon and encountered an imperial guard chasing a thief. The thief was quick on his toes, and dancing around the poor guard, poking fun of him. Steve emphasized that none of this had been prescripted by Bethseda. It was just a sample of the Radiant AI at work. While Steve had been dungeon crawling, the NPCs in the game world continued to do their own thing. A thief had stolen something from one of the towns, and one of the guards had chased him all the way through the woods and up to the dungeon entrance. If you played the game a hundred more times, chances are you'd never see that scenario happen again. That's why Oblivion will be revolutionary.

/pees pants

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I just got the Evil gamer pics of off XBLM (the skeleton looked sweet and I wanted a more unique gamer pic) and I got the Oblivion theme too. It's pretty slick.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
this better be in stores Monday. I'm going to be off work all day because of light oral surgery in the morning, and I was planning on playing Oblivion for the rest of the day ...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Not to burst all the Monday hopefuls' bubble, but the game ships Monday. Unless you're very lucky, it probably won't be in a store near you by Tuesday, as has been said earlier.

There's always hope, though. =\

Nerevar

SnakeXs said:
Not to burst all the Monday hopefuls' bubble, but the game ships Monday. Unless you're very lucky, it probably won't be in a store near you by Tuesday, as has been said earlier.

There's always hope, though. =\

what the hell happened to games being shipped out to stores early and being held until the release date? Grr....

Pellham said:
how on earth is this possible?

group manager goes and gets them from our shipment center near whatever the hell city, other managers go get it from their store. i guess it varies place to place as far as specifics, but the e-mail went out to the whole company. monday for sure.

Nerevar

rocksolidaudio said:
EBs and Gamestops will have it on Monday. they're drop-shipping.

what does that mean in terms of the time we can expect the actual product to be in-store? Will it be shipped to the store early and held until release date, or will it be picked up sometime during the day?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
rocksolidaudio said:
EBs and Gamestops will have it on Monday. they're drop-shipping.

Probably not all stores, and it's probably per district.

If I understand this right, that means they will send someone to the UPS shipping airport to pickup the overnight packages the same day instead of waiting for them to be delivered in the morning.

Suikoguy said:

If I understand this right, that means they will send someone to the UPS shipping airport to pickup the overnight packages the same day instead of waiting for them to be delivered in the morning.

correct. monday, whenever your local manager gets it from the store that got it, or gets it delivered if they're lucky.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know I am going to hate this game.

I know it will bore the shit out of me.

I know I will enjoy running around in the woods.

I am still buyng it on Tuesday. I AM A GRAPHICS WHORE.

Pellham

Banned
Suikoguy said:

of course, that's not going to work if you don't live anywhere near the origin shipping center, which will probably be the case for me. :(

Zabojnik

eso76 said:
i think in game text and books are translated...

Darn! I also preordered the special edition in Italy (I live in the near Slovenia) ... I wouldn't mind having the booklet in italian, as I understand and speak it, but what about the in-game text? If as you say the voices will be left in english ... wouldn't they also left the english text (GRAW let's you play in english completly if you default your x360 settings to that language)?

I'd like to be sure about that as soon as possible, otherwise I'd have to import from UK also.

Btw, I heard that the german version was going to be fully localized. Voices, text ... is that not the case anymore?

eso76

Zabojnik said:
Darn! I also preordered the special edition in Italy (I live in the near Slovenia) ... I wouldn't mind having the booklet in italian, as I understand and speak it, but what about the in-game text? If as you say the voices will be left in english ... wouldn't they also left the english text (GRAW let's you play in english completly if you default your x360 settings to that language)?

Mhh..i'll have friends of mine ask 2k games, but from what i heard, the italian version will have captions and text in italian, which should include books etc, while voices haven't been touched. No idea if they are going to leave english text on the dvd, i'll ask.
Booklet and instructions should be in italian too, but speaking of the booklet, several retailers told me 2k games representatives were very skeptical about CE availability...actually, a lot of retailers were told something along the lines of "yes it is possible to place an order for a few copies of the ce edition...but they won't arrive...".
: \ if that's the case, does anyone know if the regular edition includes a map like morrowind did ? maybe a smaller paper one ?

And yes, i've also heard other european versions are fully localized, including voices, but apparently it's not the case for italian.

Orodreth

eso76 said:
And yes, i've also heard other european versions are fully localized, including voices, but apparently it's not the case for italian.

Same as in spain. Original english voices ( which i prefer ) and subs/texts/booklets translated.

Zabojnik

eso76 said:
Mhh..i'll have friends of mine ask 2k games, but from what i heard, the italian version will have captions and text in italian, which should include books etc, while voices haven't been touched. No idea if they are going to leave english text on the dvd, i'll ask.

That would be much appreciated, thank you.

eso76 said:
Booklet and instructions should be in italian too, but speaking of the booklet, several retailers told me 2k games representatives were very skeptical about CE availability...actually, a lot of retailers were told something along the lines of "yes it is possible to place an order for a few copies of the ce edition...but they won't arrive...".

Well, my retailer (a very small one at that) seemed pretty confident. In fact, he was so sure that he only ordered like ten CE copies from his dealer, no regular ones. Hope he gets 'em, otherwise I'll have to go through some more waiting. That's also why I'm trying to find out about the localization, so I won't have to wait for the release day to check it out and place the online order only after that. :/

I really want this game ASAP, but I am loathe to resort to pre-ordering it at creepy Gamestop. Hopefully Best Buy or Virgin Mega will have it in stock on Tuesday.

Karg

I'm hoping this game really opens up the genre more for the 360. I mean when you think back to Xbox and think of any RPGs that really did well, the list doesn't seem that long. KOTOR-type games, Morrowind, and Fable (for some) and thats about it.

I think this game will set a very nice benchmark just as GRAW has for its genre.

Top Bottom