• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

WOAH.

Did you crazy kids read the EGM rumor report? The good folks there are whispering about a new Elder Scrolls game next summer. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm guessing that is our expansion.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
CousinLump said:
WOAH.

Did you crazy kids read the EGM rumor report? The good folks there are whispering about a new Elder Scrolls game next summer. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm guessing that is our expansion.

yeah, that's definitely bullshit. Elder scrolls games take so long because the scope is so big, not really for any technical reasons. No way could they have a new game done in that timeframe.

CousinLump said:
WOAH.

Well, it would explain why they aren't talking about an expansion. It would be great if it were true, but the development time on the Elder Scrolls games is fairly lengthy, and I just don't see them having one ready by next Summer. I can dream though! :D

Jeez, it took years to get Oblivion out after Morrowind. Unless they had a secret team working alongside the Oblivion crew, I just cannot believe Bethesda had another ES game coming out this time next year. Seriously...gotta be an expansion.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, it would explain why they aren't talking about an expansion. It would be great if it were true, but the development time on the Elder Scrolls games is fairly lengthy, and I just don't see them having one ready by next Summer. I can dream though! :D

I too think it's an expansion, but development time on the games are around 4 years because of engine changes and what-not. I think what we might get is a GOTY edition next year, which would feature an expansion, updated gameplay mechanics and hopefully improved loading/frame rates.

firex

I'd be really surprised, but, Oblivion does use a lot of middleware programs. It uses them well, I'm just saying they could save a lot of time on developing the game by reusing SpeedTree and so on.

I'm also in the camp of hoping we get a big expansion in the future... I'd definiltely pay $20-30 for an expansion that added half the landmass/dungeons that are in Cyrodiil, especially if we get to explore a previously unvisited Imperial province.

Considering this rumor is credited to EGM, I wouldn't believe it for a second. Now, Fallout 3, using the Oblvion engine for next Summer could happen. :)

GhaleonEB

Two questions. First, I've found seven of the Alyid Statues for the Collector Quest. Does he ever tell you where the other three are, as he did for five of them, or am I on my own?

Two - has anyone run into a bug where you are suddenly uber-****ing-powerful? I just had a 90 minute session to gather up some of those statues (found two) and I was a freaking beast all of a sudden. The first ruin I was in I spotted a humanoid a ways off, and went into sneak. I tagged him with my flaming arrow (21 pt bow, 25pts fire). Instakill. Odd, I thought, it's been a while since that happened, even from Sneak. I'm level 28. I check the corpse and it was a freaking Vampire Marauder. Whoa.

Next guy - same thing. One shot, dead. I continue my assault from sneak, and ultimate take down the Vampire Patriarch in one shot. Something is up, I think.

The next dungeon features undead, which are pretty nasty at this level. My first shot from Sneak kills a Gloom Wraith in one shot. Those guys usually take at least ten from me. Okay, something is crazy. Turns out if I'm not in sneak, they take two shots.

Brown bear? One shot. Storm Atronach? Two shots. Will-o-the-wisp? One shot. Skeleton Champion? Two shots. Etc.

I just plowed through an Oblivion Gate and totally cleared the place out with ~30 arrows. This is not natural.

It was really, really fun as a change of pace but I hope it changes back to normal tomorrow.

Jonnyram

Question for Vark, perhaps.

If I download Oblivion content with my UK account, can I play it on my Asian version of the game on my JP account?

yonder

I'm really getting into the game now. And I've finally understood all the mechanics of levelling (is that spelling correct?). :) I haven't touched the main quest at all, I've just been exploring, basically. Trying to collect 12 slaughterfish scales. Man, those bastards are tough :/ Oh, and I managed to steal a silver longsword from Bruma Castle, he he. :D Those katanas in the display case looked really nice btw, I want them bad...

Ghaleon: I don't think he does tell you where they are, and I don't believe you get anything extra for finding them, just FYI. Well, pride at finding them all, which is it's own reward. ;)

Yonn: Wait until you find a Giant Slaughterfish. First time I came across one of them, I freaked out! :lol

Finally! 122 hours in, and I am now 1000/1000. I still have a few random quests I would like to finish up, but it seems I have come to the end of another fantastic ES game. Looking forward to that expansion.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ghaleon: I don't think he does tell you where they are, and I don't believe you get anything extra for finding them, just FYI. Well, pride at finding them all, which is it's own reward. ;)
Bummer. Off to do more searching tonight. I want to find all ten. For some reason it's really important to me.

Then, I'm going to kill him and take all ten back to my place for decorations. :D

And I think I figured out why everyone was so weak. For my daughter's game, I bumped the difficulty down to the very bottom. It must have carried over to my game. Not sure why this didn't occur to me before. :lol I'll check when I get home.

gblues

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Bummer. Off to do more searching tonight. I want to find all ten. For some reason it's really important to me.

Then, I'm going to kill him and take all ten back to my place for decorations. :D

And I think I figured out why everyone was so weak. For my daughter's game, I bumped the difficulty down to the very bottom. It must have carried over to my game. Not sure why this didn't occur to me before. :lol I'll check when I get home.

The difficulty slider is indeed global, not per-save.

The only time I touched the difficulty slider was
during the endgame sequence when I could not get Martin around Mehrunes Dagon alive with all those damn respawning daedra.

Nathan

GhaleonEB

From the official site:

Oblivion #1 in Top 100 Games Ever In PC Gamer UK

"The success - not to mention brilliance - of Oblivion is a vindication of ambition. It says that its worth biting off more than you can easily chew if the morsel is tasty enough. No one else makes games like this."

Nice job, Bethesda. :)

Wow! Congrats to everyone at Bethesda! What a great honor.

I obviously love Oblivion, but I'm not sure I agree with them naming it number 1 all time though. It needs to be out for more than a few months so we can take a step back from it. Something like Civ has stood the test of time. Regardless, I'd still put Oblivion way up on the list, so I wouldn't dispute it too much.

Expansion needed for the Greatest Game in History! (or at least the UK)

GhaleonEB

Yonn said:
G-Giant Slaughterfish? :(

Just finished some quest in Bravil that took place in some dreamworld. Creepy.
I think there's only one of them. I freaked out when I saw it. We're talking Giant Slaughterfish.

Suerte

GhaleonEB said:
I think there's only one of them. I freaked out when I saw it. We're talking Giant Slaughterfish.

I really didn't think it was THAT big, but I guess people had hyped it up too much!

I thought there were more than one in the game, but could be wrong. For me it wasn't how big it was, but how I came across it so unexpectedly, swimming through the water, the out of the murkyness swims up this big ass fish. Scared the crap out of me! :D

GhaleonEB

DJ Brannon said:
Don't forget the GIANT mudcrabs. I mean... GIANT.
I still don't know if this is some running joke or not. :(

Suerte said:
I really didn't think it was THAT big, but I guess people had hyped it up too much!
It was large enough to eat a boat and at least three people. Had to have been a good 12 feet long or so. Scared the crap out of me when I saw it. I had not even heard of it when we crossed paths.

yonder

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The Dreamworld Quest rocked! Have you done the Painter's Quest yet?
Painter's Quest? Nope, don't think so... I just got contacted by The Dark Brotherhood, he he, so I'm going to do some quests for them. :)

And I finally completed the slaughterfish quest and got my
breath-under-water-ring-forgot it's name. Anyway, I talked to the guy who gave me the quest afterwards and asked him where he was keepong the money. He wouldn't say, but after a while of persuasion he revealed its location. I tried pickpocketing him but he caught me, but since we were such good friends he didn't alert the guards.

So I killed him and took his key. :D

This game is fantastic! :D

Yonn said:
Painter's Quest? Nope, don't think so... I just got contacted by The Dark Brotherhood, he he, so I'm going to do some quests for them. :)

breath-under-water-ring-forgot it's name. Anyway, I talked to the guy who gave me the quest afterwards and asked him where he was keepong the money. He wouldn't say, but after a while of persuasion he revealed its location. I tried pickpocketing him but he caught me, but since we were such good friends he didn't alert the guards.

So I killed him and took his key. :D

This game is fantastic! :D

Painter's Quest is great. You'll like it a lot as well. Very creative and surprising the first time through.

Your story made me laught out load. Just another example of the different ways to play the game and approach things. The freedom of play never ceases to amaze me.

bengraven

Yonn said:
breath-under-water-ring-forgot it's name.

The Ring of Rumare is the first thing I get everyTIME I start another game. It's the most handy thing you can find other than a weapon in the first 30 minutes of play outside of the first dungeon. It's so easy!

And now, about these giant things? Are they real or just internet urban legends? Because I really, really want to find them and have no clue where to start.\

Edit: Fixed my spelling error.

raYne

bengraven said:
And now, about these giant things? Are they real or just internet urban legends? Because I really, really want to find them and have no clue where to start.
Both the giant slaughterfish and the giant crabs are real. I'd tell you where they are, but I'm selfish.. :p

Plus I haven't played in months, so I've long forgotten.

bengraven

raYne said:
Both the giant slaughterfish and the giant crabs are real. I'd tell you where they are, but I'm selfish.. :p

Plus I haven't played in months, so I've long forgotten.

I've been wandering around since release day and I haven't seen them. That makes me sad.

yonder

bengraven said:
The Ring of Rumare is the first thing I get everything I start another game. It's the most handy thing you can find other than a weapon in the first 30 minutes of play outside of the first dungeon. It's so easy!
Ah, that's its name! Anyway, I've had no use for it really, I'll probably sell it later if I need to.

Got a bit of a problem: I'm on a quest that some old lady gave me in Bravil. Anyway, I talked to some orc that sent me to an island with a fort on it. I'm supposed to go in there and find an axe but I can't get in! :( When I try to open the front gate it says "this door is activated from another place" or something like that. So I searched the island but I didn't find anything... Where is the bloody switch?

Giant Crab and Slaughterfish are both very real. I believe there are several of each.

Yonn: I had problems with finding the way to open that door at first as well. I can't remember exactly how I opened it, but I think I wandered around looking for a switch or something, and when I finally got it opened, I was thinking "How did I miss that for so long." Seemed fairly obvious, once I found it. Sorry, can't be much more help then that, but the way to open the door is there.

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
I've been wandering around since release day and I haven't seen them. That makes me sad.
I found the Giant Slaughterfish
during a Thieve's Guild quest. I had to break into a wizard's castle and steal an arrowhead. On the way there, through the dungeon between the castle and his tower, there is a water section. If you just swim accross, you get to his tower. If you keep swimming down - for a long time - you find a big open underwater room. With a very, very large occupant.

I have not found this Giant Crab, though.

Yonn said:
Ah, that's its name! Anyway, I've had no use for it really, I'll probably sell it later if I need to.

Got a bit of a problem: I'm on a quest that some old lady gave me in Bravil. Anyway, I talked to some orc that sent me to an island with a fort on it. I'm supposed to go in there and find an axe but I can't get in! :( When I try to open the front gate it says "this door is activated from another place" or something like that. So I searched the island but I didn't find anything... Where is the bloody switch?
That place drove me NUTS. The switch is near the gate, within about 20 feet IIRC. I think it's one of those that has a horizontal bar you twist, not a stick switch that swings over. It took me an hour to find it. :( Really fun quest once you get in, though.

gblues

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
during a Thieve's Guild quest. I had to break into a wizard's castle and steal an arrowhead. On the way there, through the dungeon between the castle and his tower, there is a water section. If you just swim accross, you get to his tower. If you keep swimming down - for a long time - you find a big open underwater room. With a very, very large occupant.

That place drove me NUTS. The switch is near the gate, within about 20 feet IIRC. I think it's one of those that has a horizontal bar you twist, not a stick switch that swings over. It took me an hour to find it. :( Really fun quest once you get in, though.

Just remember to stock up before going in..
insert Admiral Ackbar picture here

GhaleonEB said:

That's exactly where I found the Giant Slaughterfish as well Ghaleon. Scared the crap out of me. :D

And that sounds about right for the switch as well. Drove me nuts trying to find it for awhile, but like I said, it seemed fairly obvious when I finally did find it.

GhaleonEB

gblues said:
Just remember to stock up before going in..
insert Admiral Ackbar picture here
I died at least five or six times fighting that bugger.
Again, I didn't know he was there so it just scared the crap out of me the first time, I was totally un prepared. My Detect Life spell made me think it was just a normal Slaughterfish.

bengraven

GhaleonEB said:
I died at least five or six times fighting that bugger.
Again, I didn't know he was there so it just scared the crap out of me the first time, I was totally un prepared. My Detect Life spell made me think it was just a normal Slaughterfish.

*gasp*

You remember what dungeon this was? I remember this quest fondly. I was using Breathe Underwater potions like water at this point, trying to see what was down below. This was before I found the Ring of Rumare.

Damn, I knew I should have returned there! :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ok, I riscind some of my... well... I guess it wasn't hate, but some of my compaints from above. Instead of going into every cave I come across, I've just been doing guild quests instead, and enjoying myself a hell of a lot more. I need my in-game actions to have purpose, even if it is as paper-thin as completing a mindless quest :)

I think everyone has one defining "Oblivion Moment" that really turns them around on the game, or if they loved it already, solidified their feelings of love. Mine happened earlier today:

I had to go on a fetch quest for the mage's guild, but when I got back to the guild hall it was like 2AM and the guy had locked himself in his bedroom, and there were no beds in the guildhall to sleep off the hours. EVERYONE else's room was unlocked, but not the leader's. So I did the only logical thing there was to do. I looted the entire guild hall bigtime, making like three trips. The place was full of alchemy equipment which has a super-high resell value. Sold a couple complete silver placesettings, some pricy books, etc. I ended up making over 1000 G and by the time I was done it was finally 9AM and the guy was up and around. Gave him what he wanted and completed the quest. He remarked on how "he knew he could trust me" as we walked by the suspiciously-empty shelves :D :D

bengraven

GDJustin said:
Ok, I riscind some of my... well... I guess it wasn't hate, but some of my compaints from above. Instead of going into every cave I come across, I've just been doing guild quests instead, and enjoying myself a hell of a lot more. I need my in-game actions to have purpose, even if it is as paper-thin as completing a mindless quest :)

I think everyone has one defining "Oblivion Moment" that really turns them around on the game, or if they loved it already, solidified their feelings of love. Mine happened earlier today:

I had to go on a fetch quest for the mage's guild, but when I got back to the guild hall it was like 2AM and the guy had locked himself in his bedroom, and there were no beds in the guildhall to sleep off the hours. EVERYONE else's room was unlocked, but not the leader's. So I did the only logical thing there was to do. I looted the entire guild hall bigtime, making like three trips. The place was full of alchemy equipment which has a super-high resell value. Sold a couple complete silver placesettings, some pricy books, etc. I ended up making over 1000 G and by the time I was done it was finally 9AM and the guy was up and around. Gave him what he wanted and completed the quest. He remarked on how "he knew he could trust me" as we walked by the suspiciously-empty shelves :D :D

Welcome to the Elder Scrolls. Prepare for much more fun of the same kind. ;)

Edit: Really tempted to double post just to be 9700. :lol

Seth C

bengraven said:
Welcome to the Elder Scrolls. Prepare for much more fun of the same kind. ;)

Edit: Really tempted to double post just to be 9700. :lol

I'll take care of it for you, even though I haven't played the game in months. I kinda miss it. I wish there was an expansion or something to make me get back in to the game.

GhaleonEB

Raiden said:
On the 360, i played Morrowind on the Xbox before, i pretty much hated it :lol

Im sure i'll love this one.

right :(?
Lots of Morrowind players who hated that game love this one. I'm an ES newbie, and love it. The combat engine just rocks. Definately post your impressions as they compare to Morrowind, I think it will be interesting.

Download the patch before you start. :)

phinious

I have a question for anyone who picked the Assassin Template. Do you find your character totally weak? Im only 10 hours in and I find sneaking and backstabing fairly WEAK! Do they get better or should I just restart with a new class?

I am highly dissapointed at how hard it is for me to kill things as an assassin. I had to lower the difficulty slider just to kill 2 of those jurassic part looking things at the same time.

Do I just suck or are other classes much easier?

BTW I hated morrowind, but I think oblivion is pretty fun so far!

Raiden said:
On the 360, i played Morrowind on the Xbox before, i pretty much hated it :lol

Im sure i'll love this one.

right :(?

There are some major changes to the gameplay of Oblivion that has made it a lot more popluar with people who hated Morrowind. If you give it a chance, don't quit after three or four ours of game play, and aren't overwhelmed by the free form play, and epic size of the world, you'll probably love the game. It's awesome.

phinious said:
I have a question for anyone who picked the Assassin Template. Do you find your character totally weak? Im only 10 hours in and I find sneaking and backstabing fairly WEAK! Do they get better or should I just restart with a new class?

I am highly dissapointed at how hard it is for me to kill things as an assassin. I had to lower the difficulty slider just to kill 2 of those jurassic part looking things at the same time.

Do I just suck or are other classes much easier?

BTW I hated morrowind, but I think oblivion is pretty fun so far!

I didn't play the Assassin Template, but I did play a character that was heavy on stealth. The trick is to keep improving your equipment, better weapons and armor. And as an Assassin, I'd HIGHLY recommend you buildup your alchemy skill and start making some poisons, which will probably make your life a lot easier.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I didn't play the Assassin Template, but I did play a character that was heavy on stealth. The trick is to keep improving your equipment, better weapons and armor. And as an Assassin, I'd HIGHLY recommend you buildup your alchemy skill and start making some poisons, which will probably make your life a lot easier.

Yup, the whole point of an assassin is to poison up your blade tips bigtime. Poison them, then run away and poke at them with arrows. They'll drop quickly.

Top Bottom