• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:
Yup, the whole point of an assassin is to poison up your blade tips bigtime. Poison them, then run away and poke at them with arrows. They'll drop quickly.
This cannot be said enough. If you do a stealth character, which is what I'm doing now, you will have a hell of a time doing it without poisons. Protip: Poisons stack, so you can tag someone with three poisoned arrows in a row for 3x the impact. Their life will drop like a rock.

bengraven

GhaleonEB said:
This cannot be said enough. If you do a stealth character, which is what I'm doing now, you will have a hell of a time doing it without poisons. Protip: Poisons stack, so you can tag someone with three poisoned arrows in a row for 3x the impact. Their life will drop like a rock.

Arrows only? Because I've tried to stack two poisons on a blade and says "this blade is already poisoned".

Speaking of assassins, I have about a dozen poison apples. Anyone ever get one to actually work? I tried to use one during the Dark Brotherhood quests.
When you have to assassinate that elf who travels to different towns every day of the week, then spends a few days at home. I snuck into his house, stole all the food and replaced it with poison apples. I waited for three days and he never died. I suspect he had some food on him.

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
Arrows only? Because I've tried to stack two poisons on a blade and says "this blade is already poisoned".

Speaking of assassins, I have about a dozen poison apples. Anyone ever get one to actually work? I tried to use one during the Dark Brotherhood quests.
When you have to assassinate that elf who travels to different towns every day of the week, then spends a few days at home. I snuck into his house, stole all the food and replaced it with poison apples. I waited for three days and he never died. I suspect he had some food on him.
You can poison any weapon. And when I say the poisons stack, I mean you can poison a blade/arrow/blunt and strike, then poison it again, use it, then poison it again, etc. So the effect of multiple poisoned strikes add up on an enemy. I'm level 28 and it takes two poisons to take down some of the toughest creatures in the game.

And I've never gotten a poison apple to work. I don't think anyone else has either, at least not in this thread.

phinious

poisons did work well for me. Its just a pain in the butt to have to carry so many of them. I mean seriously... Youd think applying poison to a blade would be enough for a few swings and not just one=(

Deadbone

GhaleonEB said:
You can poison any weapon. And when I say the poisons stack, I mean you can poison a blade/arrow/blunt and strike, then poison it again, use it, then poison it again, etc. So the effect of multiple poisoned strikes add up on an enemy. I'm level 28 and it takes two poisons to take down some of the toughest creatures in the game.

And I've never gotten a poison apple to work. I don't think anyone else has either, at least not in this thread.

An enchanted bow (i like shock) + poisoning the bow and using enchanted arrows (oh yeah and in stealth). booyahh:D ..... I've never got those damn poisoned apples to work either....whats with that? anyone had any luck?.

yonder

I'm doing the stealthy thing myself...Anybody got an easy but effective poison recipe? I'm currently a journeyman of alchemy.

Deadbone said:
An enchanted bow (i like shock) + poisoning the bow and using enchanted arrows. booyahh:D ..... I've never got those damn poisoned apples to work either....whats with that? anyone had any luck?.

As the Bethesda boys (Steve and Vark) mentioned at some point in this thread, in order to get the posion apple to work, you need to remove all food for the NPC. Including on the tables and on their person. Sometimes the NPC won't eat the apple because they are too busy eating other things around them. I do believe that if you leave the apple, someone will eat it eventually, but it could take some time.

Next ES game, I'd love to see the ability to apply a poison to someones food directly instead of using the apple thing. Seems like a better solution than having to steal all the food in the house, and pickpocket the food off the person you're trying to kill.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
As the Bethesda boys (Steve and Vark) mentioned at some point in this thread, in order to get the posion apple to work, you need to remove all food for the NPC. Including on the tables and on their person. Sometimes the NPC won't eat the apple because they are too busy eating other things around them. I do believe that if you leave the apple, someone will eat it eventually, but it could take some time.

Next ES game, I'd love to see the ability to apply a poison to someones food directly instead of using the apple thing. Seems like a better solution than having to steal all the food in the house, and pickpocket the food off the person you're trying to kill.

That's funny, though, because in my spoilerfied comment above, I DID take away all the food in the house. My only thought is maybe he had some on his person.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
bengraven said:
That's funny, though, because in my spoilerfied comment above, I DID take away all the food in the house. My only thought is maybe he had some on his person.

Yeah they'll eat stuff in their inventory first. What I have done is pickpocket them & put the poisoned apple into their inventory.

Deadbone

bengraven said:

I have also cleared out all food and drink and then proceeded to wait after planting the apple (apples)...but with no luck. This has also been repeated in other locations but no bites. I guess its just a timing thing with only specific NPC's taking the bait.:)

bengraven

SteveMeister said:
Yeah they'll eat stuff in their inventory first. What I have done is pickpocket them & put the poisoned apple into their inventory.

I swore I did, but maybe not. Or maybe I tried and my Sneak was bad and I alerted him, thus making me reload the game. I can't remember, it was March.

But who knows? Maybe he already ate. :D

Shabaz

Neo Member
Both of my intelligence and willpower are in the red right now. When I look to see if I have any spells cast against me that would do this nothing comes up. Does anyone know how I could fix this and what may be cause ing it? Thanks

Shabaz said:
Both of my intelligence and willpower are in the red right now. When I look to see if I have any spells cast against me that would do this nothing comes up. Does anyone know how I could fix this and what may be cause ing it? Thanks

Have you tried praying at an alter? Usually does the trick. Just go to one of the churches in any of the towns (Except the Imperial City) and pray. More than likely, you had something drain your Intelligene and Willpower.

yonder

Shabaz said:
Hm, I think you can pray at the church or something like that. Sorry, that's my best guess.

Just finished the painter's quest. It felt quite surreal and fresh. :) So far, all the quests I've embarked on have been really fun and rewarding. But those trolls were really hard. I wasted the turpentine on the first two :/

Yonn said:
Hm, I think you can pray at the church or something like that. Sorry, that's my best guess.

Just finished the painter's quest. It felt quite surreal and fresh. :) So far, all the quests I've embarked on have been really fun and rewarding. But those trolls were really hard. I wasted the turpentine on the first two :/

Yeah, those damn trolls can be a pain in the ass. The first time I played through that one, I was out of terpentine in no time. The second time I played through, with a different, much more powerful character, I didn't even need the terpentine. :)

yonder

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, those damn trolls can be a pain in the ass. The first time I played through that one, I was out of terpentine in no time. The second time I played through, with a different, much more powerful character, I didn't even need the terpentine. :)
So you've played it more than once? You must really love this game. :) Me, I just can't replay games. It rarely happens :/

Yonn said:
So you've played it more than once? You must really love this game. :) Me, I just can't replay games. It rarely happens :/

Rarely happens for me too. Last game I played more than once was Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. But Oblivion has so much replay value, it's crazy. Playing through as a totally different character type is like a completely different experience. Really.

-Rogue5-

I finally completed all the Fighters Guild missions (GuildMaster biatches) and I'm going to start on the Mages Guild soon, but I got a problem.

Everytime I try to sleep I get bitten by a vampire, so I've basically gone 3 weeks (in-game time) without sleeping.... Is that bad? I figure that as long as I don't level up, the guys won't get harder so it'll be pretty neutral... what exactly will I be missing if I don't level up?

ALSO, now that I'm the Fighters Guildmaster can I store my stuff in the Guildmaster Chest and not have it disappear when I got back there later? I won that swanky Arena armour (for beating Gray Whatshisface), but I put it down in a chest to carry some other stuff and when I went to get it again - POOF - it was gone. I don't want the same thing to happen to my Dragon Armour.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
When I played that quest I was so good at Acrobatics I could jump straight to the end, back up ontop of the rocks at the start so I only ever faced off with one troll, was impossible to kill it though so I just ran around it.:lol
I was level 6 at the time.

-Rogue5- said:
I finally completed all the Fighters Guild missions (GuildMaster biatches) and I'm going to start on the Mages Guild soon, but I got a problem.

Everytime I try to sleep I get bitten by a vampire, so I've basically gone 3 weeks (in-game time) without sleeping.... Is that bad? I figure that as long as I don't level up, the guys won't get harder so it'll be pretty neutral... what exactly will I be missing if I don't level up?

ALSO, now that I'm the Fighters Guildmaster can I store my stuff in the Guildmaster Chest and not have it disappear when I got back there later? I won that swanky Arena armour (for beating Gray Whatshisface), but I put it down in a chest to carry some other stuff and when I went to get it again - POOF - it was gone. I don't want the same thing to happen to my Dragon Armour.

Are you sure you weren't bitten, and contracted the disease, a long time ago, so no matter what you're going to become a vampire. Only way out of it now, is to do the vampire cure quest, download the DLC with the alter to cure it, or never, ever level again. What level are you? By not leveling, you probably won't miss out on too much, but then again, you won't improve either, which means creatures and loot won't improve either.

And as Guild Master you do get the chest, and place to sleep, but do not store anything in it that you have fear of losing. You do not actually own the place, so you will lose stuff. Same goes for any of the other guilds. To safely store anything, you need to buy a house. Period.

I'm about 30 hours in and well..yeah.

X360 version
I just went with a "hey whatever" class. I think I'm level 14 right now doing a host of quests. The loot in this game is ridiculous. I wandered into a random cave and got boots that let me walk on water, rings with ridiculous stat bonuses, etc.

I did the Denirus manor quest(5,000 gold in Anvil or somewhere although fighting ghosts with a weakass silver mace made me hate life) And it's always nice to come back to.

Honestly this game improves on EVERYTHING Morrowind did. Major characters getting knocked "unconcious" instead of getting killed has saved me so many headaches. Dungeons are better designed, curing diseases/stat reductions is as simple as fast travel + chapel. And yes I love fast travel. Brings me back to the days of Daggerfall and I'm digging it.

The NPCs are much better designed. Instead of just standing around they eat, converse with others, do other activities. There is so much more life going on in each area. Also I love the little things like being able to sit. After finishing up some quests I like to sit down at my place and read all of the new books I've found during my adventures.

Levelling is good btw. It brings you harder enemies but at the same time you also can find better loot.

Questions:
Can I reach a point where guards will simply kill me on sight? I'm just wondering because I went crazy in one town and slaughtered maybe 12 guards and most of the fighter's guild. Afterwards I went up to another guard and turned myself in. Is there a point of no return in that case?

And no I didn't continue on this, I reloaded a prior save and continued on.

-Rogue5-

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Are you sure you weren't bitten, and contracted the disease, a long time ago, so no matter what you're going to become a vampire. Only way out of it now, is to do the vampire cure quest, download the DLC with the alter to cure it, or never, ever level again. What level are you? By not leveling, you probably won't miss out on too much, but then again, you won't improve either, which means creatures and loot won't improve either.

And as Guild Master you do get the chest, and place to sleep, but do not store anything in it that you have fear of losing. You do not actually own the place, so you will lose stuff. Same goes for any of the other guilds. To safely store anything, you need to buy a house. Period.

DAMN... How much are houses? Sucks a lot because I've lost TONS of good loot because I had no where to store it...

What happens is, I go to sleep and it pops up with a window that says "You dream of a shadowy creature slipping in the door.. yadda yadda.. you wake up screaming"... Then when I look at myself in the inventory screen my pupils are red... That's when I reload a save from before I slept.

GhaleonEB

-Rogue5- said:
DAMN... How much are houses? Sucks a lot because I've lost TONS of good loot because I had no where to store it...

What happens is, I go to sleep and it pops up with a window that says "You dream of a shadowy creature slipping in the door.. yadda yadda.. you wake up screaming"... Then when I look at myself in the inventory screen my pupils are red... That's when I reload a save from before I slept.
Houses vary in price. The cheapest is on the Imperial City Waterfront, and you can buy it in the Market District for 2,000 gold. To store anything you'll need to drop ~700 gold on the "Storage" upgrade, which gets you four containers.

Yup, you've been bitten and are now a vampire. To get cured, you need to do the vampire cure quest, or download the Vile Lair. I hated, hated, hated being a vampire. The cure quest is EPIC, though.

-Rogue5- said:

You can buy a shack in the slums of the Imperial City for 2000 gold, they go up from there based on how large they are. And as the poster above you mentioned, you can do a Manor quest in Anvil to get a nice house, fully stocked, for about 5k after the quest.

As for the Vampre thing, yeah, you've been bitten and contracted the disease long before you ever slept, it's just the way the game lets you know that you've become a vampire. You can try to heal at the chapel, but if more than three days have passed, that won't help either. You'll need to under go the Quest to heal it, or play as a vampire.

-Rogue5-

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You can buy a shack in the slums of the Imperial City for 2000 gold, they go up from there based on how large they are. And as the poster above you mentioned, you can do a Manor quest in Anvil to get a nice house, fully stocked, for about 5k after the quest.

As for the Vampre thing, yeah, you've been bitten and contracted the disease long before you ever slept, it's just the way the game lets you know that you've become a vampire. You can try to heal at the chapel, but if more than three days have passed, that won't help either. You'll need to under go the Quest to heal it, or play as a vampire.

But my eyes have changed from brown to red, and then back to brown when I load up the save prior to vampire dream... ALSO if I load the autosave that happens just as you go to sleep I do NOT get the "you dream of a vampire" thing and my eyes go back to being brown. OH, and in my stats page it still says 0 days as a vampire/0 people bitten. I don't want to have to do some BS epic quest to stop from becoming a vamp...

Screw it, I just won't sleep....F*** being a vampire.

OH and for the DB quests I just gotta kill some random person? What about if my arena fan follows me and gets killed by a monster in a cave somewhere? Does that count as being killed by me (even though it isn't directly)?

OH and if I kill the stranger in that visits me the day after I sleep, is there no way to get in the dark brotherhood?

gblues

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
But my eyes have changed from brown to red, and then back to brown when I load up the save prior to vampire dream... ALSO if I load the autosave that happens just as you go to sleep I do NOT get the "you dream of a vampire" thing and my eyes go back to being brown. OH, and in my stats page it still says 0 days as a vampire/0 people bitten. I don't want to have to do some BS epic quest to stop from becoming a vamp...

OH and for the DB quests I just gotta kill some random person? What about if my arena fan follows me and gets killed by a monster in a cave somewhere? Does that count as being killed by me (even though it isn't directly)?

OH and if I kill the stranger in that visits me the day after I sleep, is there no way to get in the dark brotherhood?

Try just quaffing a "Cure Disease" potion before you sleep. It's possible to be bitten in your sleep, but that usually only happens when you're using one of the random outdoor sleeping mats.

As far as the DB, it counts if you get the message about "your actions have been seen by an unknown presence" or something like that.

Nathan

raYne

-Rogue5- said:
You have to sleep in order to level up in the game. So it'd be better to get yourself cured.

OH and for the DB quests I just gotta kill some random person?
Yes, you just have to kill some random person. Bandits and the like obviously don't count. Any normal npc in a town/city will do.

What about if my arena fan follows me and gets killed by a monster in a cave somewhere? Does that count as being killed by me (even though it isn't directly)?
No you can't just let the arena fan (or anyone else) die, you have to do the deed.

Nope. He's also a huge part of the DB storyline as well. No stranger, no brotherhood.

bengraven

Count me as three, as if my posts throughout this thread should show.

But I'll take it one step further: how about an expansion that's purely dark, with an even bigger DB questline and another Thieves Guild one (and later release a "light side" one that's Fighter's and Mage's Guild).

And as for other questlines, how about a 9 Divines like we were talking about just after the first information was released? And an Imperial Legion quest?!

Man, I need to start hanging out in the official forums again. :lol

Suerte said:
They won't count you, you don't like DLC :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Good point!

Although I did say in the past that I'd buy DLC that added an epic questline to it. I just don't like the "fancy houses" and short one off quests they've been putting in the DLC so far. Don't even get me started on horse armor! :D

Sorry ben, didn't mean to leave you out of the Dark Brotherhood love. You have indeed proclaimed your love the DB quests throughout this thread. That makes three of us that'll buy it. It' gold I tell you gold! :)

And as Ghaleon said, If I'm in, you know EVERYBODY will be in! :D

gblues

Banned
I have a question; when you join the Dark Brotherhood, Lucien says there's supposed to be other DB sanctuaries in Cyrodil. Where are they?

Nathan

gblues said:
I have a question; when you join the Dark Brotherhood, Lucien says there's supposed to be other DB sanctuaries in Cyrodil. Where are they?

Nathan

I've personally never found them, but I wondered about that as well. I wondered if there was a sanctuary in every town, but you just had to find it. My guess is that they are not actually in the game, as I haven't heard anyone reference finding another one.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've personally never found them, but I wondered about that as well. I wondered if there was a sanctuary in every town, but you just had to find it. My guess is that they are not actually in the game, as I haven't heard anyone reference finding another one.

I think there's a line towards the middle of the quest
that they had to purify those sanctuaries as well. Too bad you couldn't do it yourself. This could, however, explain why we're never shown those
. I sometimes like to think they still added some in...like the haunted house in Anvil was a place for them to visit until you show up and **** it all up. :lol

bengraven said:
I think there's a line towards the middle of the quest
that they had to purify those sanctuaries as well. Too bad you couldn't do it yourself. This could, however, explain why we're never shown those
. I sometimes like to think they still added some in...like the haunted house in Anvil was a place for them to visit until you show up and **** it all up. :lol

Yeah, they may be out there somewhere. Just waiting for our expansion to unlock them, so we can explore more DB goodness. Hell, we're practically writing the design document for Bethesda! :D

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, they may be out there somewhere. Just waiting for our expansion to unlock them, so we can explore more DB goodness. Hell, we're practically writing the design document for Bethesda! :D

They should just GET us to write the design document. Come on, Beth, I'm a published author. :lol

bengraven said:
They should just GET us to write the design document. Come on, Beth, I'm a published author. :lol

You know they're stealing our ideas right now, as they get to work on the DB expansion.

But if they make it, I won't care one bit!
:lol

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You know they're stealing our ideas right now, as they get to work on the DB expansion.

But if they make it, I won't care one bit!
:lol

I seriously want some more guilds. I'll pay 400 points for new guild quests. Five bucks a pop isn't that bad for Beth if it comes to something like this. Whether it's for old guilds or new guilds, I'm all about it.

Plus, where's our Mythic Dawn armor?! I was so excited when I first saw screens of it but
it disappears when you kill a member of the cult

Also, this is on page five, people. What's happening?!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm finally getting back into the main quest.
I've become the Gray Fox and now I'm the listener for the Dark Brotherhood. Last things I've done is go into the Oblivion Gate with the Bruma guards. I'm in the process of getting to the last undead Blade so I can cleanse Tiber Septim's catacombs.

There are many times I play this game and I think I'm playing the best game ever. I've invested almost 80 hours on it. Seriously, I like to call OOT the greatest game ever, but I'm not so sure it deserves that title anymore.

Just got the game, and truly one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I can see myself playing this for months.

Any good tips for making money, other than Alchemy? I've been raiding the guilds and selling off the alchemy equipments but surely there are other better ways.

bengraven

gettergooey said:
Just got the game, and truly one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I can see myself playing this for months.

Any good tips for making money, other than Alchemy? I've been raiding the guilds and selling off the alchemy equipments but surely there are other better ways.

Quite honestly, the longer you level up, the more money you're going to make. Chests level up with you and start dropping fat amounts of money as well as fallen enemies. You could also try keeping some garbage items on hand and, if you're in the mage's guild and have joined the University, you could always enchant them and sell them for more money that way.

But seriously, just sell everything and be patient and eventually you'll be in the money.

AgentIceBreezy said:
There are many times I play this game and I think I'm playing the best game ever. I've invested almost 80 hours on it. Seriously, I like to call OOT the greatest game ever, but I'm not so sure it deserves that title anymore.

Yeah, I'm there. Everytime I boot it up. I can be so into everything else, but the second I'm walking around Tamriel, it is the greatest game I've ever played. If the story, character design, and voice acting could only match the quality of Bioware RPGs, then I'd have no hesitation to call this the best game I've ever played.

I will say this is the best RPG I've ever played.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
gettergooey said:

I've only had the game about a week as well. I was EXTREMELY money-starved for the first 15 hours or so, so don't get discouraged. My loot didnt started catching up to my money needs (weapon repairing/recharging, training etc) until I got deeper into some of the guild questlines. Mage guild, specifically.

I'd been money starved the entire game, then suddenly I'm fighting Necromancers for the mage guild that aren't super-tough to beat, but have really nice loot on them. Saved up enough to finally buy a home, train in all the stuff I'd been putting off training, etc. There were several quests in a row that netted me a lot of $.

The Thieves guild is another good questline to follow for a while if you're looking for $ too I've found, for obvious reasons. Although you don't need to be in the guild to go on a crime spree. It's pretty freakin easy, to boot. I used spells to get into houses, and one out of every three or so would randomly have a bunch of sweet stuff in it, whereas the other two wouldn't have much.

Top Bottom